If a server had to go which should it be?

4 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

In what regard? What’s your case for getting rid of any server? 

None. Im simply asking (hypothetically) if 5 servers was the limit or most optimal for the game. Which server is being retired and why.

There's no need to get rid of any servers. They each have strengths and weaknesses. There is a place for all of them.

• The high population servers like Star Forge and Darth Malgus are good for fast queues, but also have the downside that you have to fight with other players to complete objectives out in the world. For example, this week's Liabilities of Corellia objective requires more waiting around for respawns on Star Forge.
  • Low population servers like The Leviathan and Shae Vizla are good for players who just want to go through their own story and almost never have to wait for respawns.
  • Medium population servers like Satele Shan and Tulak Hord are a mix of both. They are usually pretty populated during primetime but more low population during morning, early afternoon, and late night.

Latency is only really an issue for PvP and even then, teamwork usually makes a bigger difference. For PvE, characters are overgeared enough these days that all PvE can be done with high latency. All endgame PvE content was designed for 326-330 item rating while everyone is running 340+ these days. There are no tough DPS/heal/tank checks with 340 gear except maybe R4-Anomaly, but that operation can just be ignored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFadedMemory said:

None. Im simply asking (hypothetically) if 5 servers was the limit or most optimal for the game. Which server is being retired and why.

There is no reason to get rid of any server based on your reply.

This thread & posts feel like you are trying to cause division within the player base & start a fight between players. 

Which is why I’m going to bring this thread to @JackieKo attention.

Jackie I believe this thread should be removed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Which is why I’m going to bring this thread to @JackieKo attention.

Jackie I believe this thread should be removed. 

What do you want or hope to accomplish by telling me this?

Don’t get me wrong. You are free to report anything you feel to be offensive or inappropriate , but is it really appropriate to say “you have bad intentions I’m reporting you.” In this situation? A quiet report would probably be more appropriate.

You’re assuming my intentions. You don’t actually know what they are. 

Edited by AFadedMemory

If one server would have to be removed for some reason and there would not be any way around it, I would probably just choose the one with least amount of players in hope of it affecting least amount of players as possible, as it would  never feel nice to have your server removed of course 😔

i like how eso does it with mega server, EU has one mega server and NA also has one mega server, because of it, you can even find players at 3 am eu time to play with and i am sure of it because i have done dungeons and pvp and other stuff at 3 am in eso, i do not know whether is it possible for swtor to go with mega server or not because of names etc but it would be awesome if swtor could go mega server just like eso.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bahramnima said:

i like how eso does it with mega server, EU has one mega server and NA also has one mega server, because of it, you can even find players at 3 am eu time to play with and i am sure of it because i have done dungeons and pvp and other stuff at 3 am in eso, i do not know whether is it possible for swtor to go with mega server or not because of names etc but it would be awesome if swtor could go mega server just like eso.

It is nice to have peeps to group with at 2 or 3am. 

Losing names would definitely be sad, but I don’t think name generating would be an issue.

• Like 1

It would be nice if they made it so that you could play ALL your characters on any server at anytime without messing around with transfers and legacies.  There are a lot of complications now however making this something they should have implemented pre-release. Now it may be just be a pipe dream.

With an open server model, you would pick a character to play as, and then pick a server to join. This way you would have the freedom to play on a high population or a low population server whenever you wanted, as well as play on a server in your own region if you're looking for lower latency and not too worried about population. Right now, everything is too isolated. Logging into Star Forge isn't fun, because nothing I do there has impact on my progress on Satele Shan.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 2

There is a small amount of cross-server achievement progression. I don't know if it's accidental or intentional. If you have transferred a character to another server, and you get a new achievement on the old server, when you do something that causes the system to check / reconcile it will award the achievement on the second server. I had transferred a toon from Satele to Shae. My GS progress is lagging some on Shae, but I hit the level 50 gs achievement of Satele. The next time I was on Shae and I progressed a gs level, it dinged with the level 50 cheevo even though I'm only at 45 on Shae. It's not automatic, i.e. not at next login. 

As an altoholic any regional merge (eg. SS <-> SF) is going to be particularly painful as it would require me to cull 20-30 characters before I can make a new one.  I've already started this calculus because I'm near my limit. The unlocks are still crazy expensive on the GTN and I'm not about to drop 200-300usd worth of CC just to get back to my pre-merge capacity.

Edited by PlasmaJohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PlasmaJohn said:

As an altoholic any regional merge (eg. SS <-> SF) is going to be particularly painful as it would require me to cull 20-30 characters before I can make a new one.  I've already started this calculus because I'm near my limit. The unlocks are still crazy expensive on the GTN and I'm not about to drop 200-300usd worth of CC just to get back to my pre-merge capacity.

Not gonna lie, I barely woke up when I read this and I thought you said you were an alcoholic 🤣

yeah that would be painful. It would be nice if they allowed us to choose the server location. I’d even settle for a subscribe for x amount of days/spend x amount of cc and you get to choose. Kinda scummy, but better than no choice in my opinion. I imagine it’s not easy/time efficient to surgically move server accounts.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tsteenburg said:

There is a small amount of cross-server achievement progression. I don't know if it's accidental or intentional. If you have transferred a character to another server, and you get a new achievement on the old server, when you do something that causes the system to check / reconcile it will award the achievement on the second server. I had transferred a toon from Satele to Shae. My GS progress is lagging some on Shae, but I hit the level 50 gs achievement of Satele. The next time I was on Shae and I progressed a gs level, it dinged with the level 50 cheevo even though I'm only at 45 on Shae. It's not automatic, i.e. not at next login. 

Interesting.

5 hours ago, Traceguy said:

It would be nice if they made it so that you could play ALL your characters on any server at anytime without messing around with transfers and legacies.  There are a lot of complications now however making this something they should have implemented pre-release. Now it may be just be a pipe dream.

With an open server model, you would pick a character to play as, and then pick a server to join. This way you would have the freedom to play on a high population or a low population server whenever you wanted, as well as play on a server in your own region if you're looking for lower latency and not too worried about population. Right now, everything is too isolated. Logging into Star Forge isn't fun, because nothing I do there has impact on my progress on Satele Shan.

Doesn’t BDO do this? I both love and hate this idea. 

4 hours ago, AFadedMemory said:

Doesn’t BDO do this? I both love and hate this idea. 

I don't know BDO. Some MMOs I have played do allow you to do this. Sometimes a server shard will be at max population, and you'll just select the next most populated one available, unless you wanted to log into one of the lowest population servers.

Runescape is the biggest game I know that does this. Back when I used to play, I often logged into the German servers because they had a less crowded population, which would help in a lot of places.

It would be logical to merge SF and SS. It made sense for them to be separated when they used to be located on different coasts - ever since they were put into the same location, it wasn't making as much sense. I think eventually it may happen.

European ones would make sense to merge from a population perspective, but, since they are multilingual, it would be a bit harder.

6 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

It would be logical to merge SF and SS. It made sense for them to be separated when they used to be located on different coasts - ever since they were put into the same location, it wasn't making as much sense. I think eventually it may happen.

European ones would make sense to merge from a population perspective, but, since they are multilingual, it would be a bit harder.

APAC is multilingual I don't see why the Europeans are so special.

1US, 1EU, 1APAC make sense if they gonna merge due to low population.

Or just let cross-server queue happen and start world war III.

7 minutes ago, eabevella said:

APAC is multilingual

Not from SWTOR server perspective - they don't cover APAC languages except for English.

7 minutes ago, eabevella said:

I don't see why the Europeans are so special.

There are currently English, French, and German servers in Europe with every line of dialogue recorded in those three languages. I doubt that would ever be done for APAC (at least, not by SWTOR team).

Edited by VegaMist
Typo

1 hour ago, VegaMist said:

Not from SWTOR server perspective - they don't cover APAC languages except for English.

There are currently English, French, and German servers in Europe with every line of dialogue recorded in those three languages. I doubt that would ever be done for APAC (at least, not by SWTOR team).

I wonder how complicated it'd be to merge all EU servers into one.

How tricky would it be to have English, French  and German clients getting along when in same group,sharing  same dialogue? Whatever dialogue you hear comes from client/your own hd anyway, maybe server side aspects of it all could be entirely doable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VegaMist said:

I agree. Though if they merge SS with SF can my stuff go to SV 😝 

Europe would be hard. I can image the process to implement separate languages in a group instance being difficult.

Crazy thought. If BS decided to merge servers. Would you rather the name be the name of the larger/more successful server or be given a completely new one.

Taking this a step further what if they treated it as “new server”  instead of a few people having to rename toons everybody does.

4 minutes ago, AFadedMemory said:

Crazy thought. If BS decided to merge servers. Would you rather the name be the name of the larger/more successful server or be given a completely new one.

Taking this a step further what if they treated it as “new server”  instead of a few people having to rename toons everybody does.

New server,

more opportunity to release unused character names, following similar rules as they did in previous mergers

(inactive non sub accounts)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, FrontLineFodder said:

New server,

more opportunity to release unused character names, following similar rules as they did in previous mergers

(inactive non sub accounts)

Your suggestion is probably the easiest and most acceptable.

Not gonna lie. If I was in charge I would compile a list of names that would be in contest and open a Cartel Coin auction where bidding stops on the day of a merge. (It would only be between accounts with the same name.)

Edited by AFadedMemory