Unable to login into SWTOR

CossackB

12 minutes ago, Keirowyn said:

Could it be something related to the Star Forge server?  What server does everyone here play on (or last logged out on?  since that's where it attempts to log you into when you launch the game).

I play on SS. But I have a 11 low level toons on SF, and 1 level 80. I can log into my level 80 character on SF without trouble.

• Like 1

I think it may be a combination of last server used + Num characters on that server + integrated graphics card.

[I was able to log in to my friend's account (who was having the freezing problem) on my computer and she has tons of characters on all the English servers, so I think the computer does factor into it partially.]

Please note that the integrated graphics card that displays 128 MB dedicated memory is just throwing up a number for game systems to detect (see link below), and does not actually reflect how much ram is used for the graphics card.  The OS is supposed to automatically pull from the available RAM up to 50% for graphics.  Which is why the computers haven't had an issue since the last patch.

I suspect that the new patch might have some sort of detection thing going on where:
1. The game tries to load

2. It is trying to load into the last server/character that was saved before logging off.

3. The last server has 16+ characters (I'm guessing 16, because it's a standard doubling increment in computerese:: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc.

4. It looks at the dedicated RAM setting of the computer system, and sees "128 MB" and decides "nope", and then freezes up without any warnings - possibly because there is conflicting data in which there is technically more than 128 MB of RAM available?

You can supposedly fake a higher amount of dedicated VRAM by using the registry editor.  I have not tried this yet with my friend who I have been helping out, but if one or more of you feels comfortable trying this, here's a link to how to do it:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/video-ram-windows-10/

Go to the section titled "Faking VRAM Increase in Windows".  That might fool the launcher/game into thinking everything is okay and let you in.

Edited by ryuteki
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keirowyn said:

I can log into Star Forge on my wife's Ryzen laptop.

18 minutes ago, Keirowyn said:

I can log into other servers on my laptop too... just for some reason when I attempt to log into Star Forge on my laptop, it freezes.

Odd. I wonder if the problem is that some computers are failing to communicate with with the Star Forge server. Like a firewall problem or something.

According to my game's logs, the Star Forge "shard" is

he3000n01.cloud.swtor.com:8995:castlehilltest

i'm not tech savvy so i apologize for the dumb questions...

1. what about trying to RE-BOOT the SWTOR servers? 

this is to the devs...

2. have you guys thought about having spare outdated pcs, meaning OLDER gfx cards etc. to test the new updates on too? i'm sure your gear is updated regularly beings you work there.

I tried to change the BIOS VRAM setting but my computer's BIOS does not have that option so I'm not sure whether it would work.

I do not want to mess with registry if I can avoid it, since I know enough to know that modifying the registry is dangerous but don't know enough to do it without corrupting my windows install or other files.

I also would like to reiterate that I am currently having no issues playing on any other server besides my main server (Star Forge), so I am fairly confident the issue is with SWTOR and/or its files/settings, not my machine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilmeNavarie said:

I logged out while I was in the stronghold on Copero, now that I am thinking about it....

I logged out in the Alderaan SH before the patch, haven't been able to get back on since. A friend of mine logged into my account on his computer and was still in the SH. 

Just now, NeilTheClone said:

I logged out in the Alderaan SH before the patch, haven't been able to get back on since. A friend of mine logged into my account on his computer and was still in the SH. 

I tested this theory today with the Copero SH on Darth Malgus. I logged out inside the stronghold, quit game, then restarted it. Logged back in with no crashes or freezes.

Also, as someone who was previously a victim of the stronghold infinite loading screen bug multiple times, when that bug existed it applied only when logging into the specific character, not when logging into a server from server select.

Okay more information from me. If you read my previous posts you know I have a subscriber account, a preferred account and a new free-to-play account. I also have a desktop computer and a laptop computer. I have had no problems logging into all 3 accounts on my desktop. I have not been able to log into my subscriber or preferred accounts on my laptop (Intel 128MB graphic memory) even though it worked fine prior to the latest update. I could log into my newly created free-to-play account on my laptop with no problem.

With the new discussion today about character numbers I went and logged into my preferred account on my desktop and instead of logging into Satele Shan where I have 26 toons, I logged into Shae Vizla where I only have 2 characters. I then switched to my laptop and was able to get into the game on my laptop on my preferred account for the first time since the update.

I then tried it with my subscriber account. Logged into my subscriber account on my desktop, chose Shae Vizla again where I only have 4 characters and then switched to my laptop. And again I was able to get into the game on my laptop on my subscriber account.

I then switched to Star Forge on my laptop which has 8 characters and shut down the game and tried to get back in. I was able to get into the game. I then tried to switch to Satele Shan where I have 50 characters while on my laptop and it would not load the character select screen on Satele Shan.

So it appears from my testing if you have 8 or less characters on a server you should be able to log into that server. I haven't been able to get into my preferred account on Satele Shan which has 26 characters so the character limit that prevents the login is somewhere between 9 and 26.

So now it appears to me this in not an account related issue (subscriber/prefrred/free-to-play). It seems to be if you have a computer with Intel graphic cards with only 128MB dedicated vram AND trying to log into a server or last logged into a server where you have lots of characters. Exact number of characters not known but somewhere between 9 and 26 characters on the server freezes the game at the loading screen. I have been able to successfully get into the game on my laptop on a server with 8 characters.

Edited by Bar-Da-Voya
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bar-Da-Voya said:

And the exact number that breaks the login is somewhere between 9 and 50.

My friend has 37 characters, and hasn't been affected by this at all. (Other than my venting.)

She had the thought that it might by tied to a legacy achievement or something. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jade_Starchaser said:

My friend has 37 characters, and hasn't been affected by this at all. (Other than my venting.)

She had the thought that it might by tied to a legacy achievement or something. 

I'm guessing she has a good graphics card like my desktop does. It seems to be only affecting people with Intel onboard graphics that only show 128 MB of dedicated VRAM like my laptop AND have more than "X" number of characters on the server they are trying to log into or last logged into. "X" = a number between 9 and 26.

Edited by Bar-Da-Voya

• Dev Post

Hi everyone, 

I know we’re coming up on the weekend, so I wanted to update this thread with what’s happening regarding this issue. 

First, thanks to everyone who is supplying info for us and answering the questions the team has. It’s helpful in their investigation into this issue. 

Second, a fix has not been determined as of now, however, please know that this is a priority for the team. 

Third, the team has requested that DxDiag files be sent to communitysupport@swtor.com. Please only send in files if you are impacted by the issue of not being able to get past the loading screen. And be sure to include your account name! 

If the team needs additional info, I will update this thread again. 

Lastly, we understand that the players impacted by this problem have not been able to get into the game since 7.4.1 went out, and we are working on plans to compensate those players. This will be executed after a fix has been made and deployed. 

Thanks for your patience everyone! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, Bar-Da-Voya said:

I'm guessing she has a good graphics card like my desktop does. It seems to be only affecting people with Intel onboard graphics that only show 128 MB of dedicated VRAM like my laptop AND have more than "X" number of characters on the server they are trying to log into or last logged into. "X" = a number between 9 and 26.

Just made 26 toons on the leviathan (that's my limit) and didn't experience the freeze. Logged back to Star Forge (with 29 toons) and... freeze, as expected.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NihilistPrince said:

Just made 26 toons on the leviathan (that's my limit) and didn't experience the freeze. Logged back to Star Forge (with 29 toons) and... freeze, as expected.

I tried again with my 26 toons on Satele Shan and it still freezes with that. My toons there are well established so maybe there's more to it than just number of toons and new toons don't have the same impact. Or your computer has better VRAM than my laptop's 128MB so it can handle more characters.

I feel like our accounts are being sand-trapped somehow? I had posted in a different thread that mine WAS working at first after the 7.4.1 patch until I was trying to help my friend who was not able to play at all after the 7.4.1 patch. Immediately after 7.4.1 and servers came back up I was able to be on long enough to gather enough conquest points to acquire the corpero SH via new GS on the 4 servers (TH, SS, SF, Malgus) I have multiple toons on, so probably 2 or 3 hours, -on my old PC intel4000 graphics hp manufactured in 2013. But I'm not trying to draw attention to my hardware... But to the fact that I was on and acquiring new items brought by the patch until my friend contacted me asking for help. - The last thing I did on my account - in game - was turn conversation depth of field off in my graphics settings, then proceeded to switch characters. <--- This is when I was plunged into limbo with the rest of us here. only progress I was able to make at all was to server selection screen while servers were down for 7.4.1.a - then back to splash screen limbo ever since. I have done all suggested to me directly from the others here, customer service, updating and/or installing drivers missing or needed for the aforementioned specs etc.

I did make a purchase for CC's redeem code from amazon after seeing the new items available, but all I had purchased in this small window of time (immediately after 7.4.1 and changing my depth of field setting)  before limbo was an outfit unlock (legacy) and was retrieving that outfit on the other servers as I was starting the tracks to the point of acquiring the stronghold and speaking to the co-responding mission NPC. 

The toon I was on when helping my friend was in the Mek Sha stronghold when I changed my conversation depth of field before attempting to switch toons. 

My friend and I are both modestly holding on credits in game - less than 500mil on any given server but are sitting on recent purchases of unspent CC's, I would hate to think it were a possibility that our CC balances or credit amounts would have anything to do with this issue ; but aside from other unlocked items/achievements/collections/titles/reputation/ etc.. I can't fathom why its affecting some of us and not others, because in my case it's not switching between pcs and hardware that has been the catalyst, it was changing one setting AND going from a handful of CC's to a larger amount to blow on new items and legacy unlocks whenever this is resolved. 😔

Edited by mgorion
self correction - patch references

I have a question, how many of you had the timed achievement done for Dxun? Because this was removed from some people during the patch. If you can’t access specific servers, is it possible this achievement is linked to those servers/legacy on a specific account. 

1 minute ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I have a question, how many of you had the timed achievement done for Dxun? Because this was removed from some people during the patch. If you can’t access specific servers, is it possible this achievement is linked to those servers/legacy on a specific account. 

I have not. It's been forever (almost 2 years) since I've done any Operation, and I've never done any at Master Mode. 

I have 15 characters on Satele Shan and am able to play there despite having integrated graphics and not being able to play on my main server of Star Forge. If X characters is the issue, 15<X<29.

3 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I have other timed run achievements but not that one.

30 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

I know we’re coming up on the weekend, so I wanted to update this thread with what’s happening regarding this issue. 

First, thanks to everyone who is supplying info for us and answering the questions the team has. It’s helpful in their investigation into this issue. 

Second, a fix has not been determined as of now, however, please know that this is a priority for the team. 

Third, the team has requested that DxDiag files be sent to communitysupport@swtor.com. Please only send in files if you are impacted by the issue of not being able to get past the loading screen. And be sure to include your account name! 

Lastly, we understand that the players impacted by this problem have not been able to get into the game since 7.4.1 went out, and we are working on plans to compensate those players. This will be executed after a fix has been made and deployed. 

Sent them a DxDiag file. I really hope you can resolve this soon so I can play with my friends again. They are all on Star Forge and that's the server I can't get into without encountering this load screen freezing issue.

22 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you Jackie... email sent

2 hours ago, ryuteki said:

You can supposedly fake a higher amount of dedicated VRAM by using the registry editor.  I have not tried this yet with my friend who I have been helping out, but if one or more of you feels comfortable trying this, here's a link to how to do it:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/video-ram-windows-10/

Go to the section titled "Faking VRAM Increase in Windows".  That might fool the launcher/game into thinking everything is okay and let you in.

It is related to video cards with low dedicated vram ( mostly intel cards fall into this )
it is related to how much needs to be preloaded on login not so much a specific number of characters

Faking the dedicated VRam unfortunately wont help with this issue , it will help with https://forums.swtor.com/topic/930391-graphics-settingslow-resolution-textures-troubleshooting/#comment-9769420 in so far as you wont need to edit the MinspecVramCutoffMB setting less then 256MB as it will be seen higher ( but still faked)  there is no substitute for this , although i understand why you think this might is different  
Example thread of issue https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/annoying-texture-popping-issue-in-SWTOR/td-p/12606530

I am hopeful that a fix can now be identified given that it is now known what factors are causing this, but issues with MinspecVramCutoffMB settings etc will always remain due to the minimal dedicated vram available to these cards

it will be next week before any more will be know about a fix for this 

Edited by OwenBrooks
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SilmeNavarie said:

After the patch, this happend to my laptop. Couldn't log in past the loading screen. I have 50+ chars on my sub account. But with a F2P I could log in, where I had 1 char. 

After I fixed those errors, everything worked ok again. And I have a good and new gaming laptop.

20240315_133856.jpg

The Microsoft basic display driver is a basic clayton driver this is why you had issues similar to others in this thread

as son as you restored the correct display driver as you found it worked ok again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.