This is what happens when you transfer characters

First off, screenshot of the official character transfer screen found under the My Account page in the Character Transfers section

image.png.5482a68c30dedee6f1ee43e6e2bf5c4b.png

For additional questions you can read the FAQ linked below

https://help.ea.com/en/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-character-transfers/

Terms:

Origin Server: the server a character is currently located on

Destination Server: the server a character is transferring to

Transferring characters:

• All current mail for the character being transferred will be permanently deleted and any items in that mail will also be deleted
  • All current auctions, unclaimed items, and unclaimed credits on the GTN for that character will be permanently deleted
  • All items and credits in that characters personal inventory and personal bank will be taken with that character to the destination server
  • All items and credits in the characters Legacy Bank and Guild Bank will remain on the origin server
  • All resources in the Materials Inventory (legacy wide material bank) will remain on the origin server
  • All achievements and reputation will be copied to the destination server with the highest progress or completion status of each taking priority on the destination server
  • All decorations will be copied over with the highest count of any decoration taking priority on the destination server
  • Character names will be lost during a transfer if a character by that name already exists on the destination server
  • Outfitter... sometimes outfits are deleted during transfer. I don't understand the parameters for this so don't expect all outfits to transfer with a character. Outfits now transfer with out any issue.
  • Guilds remain on the origin server and do not transfer with the character even if that character is the guild leader

Mail and the GTN

Remove any items you want to keep out of your characters mail box since all mail will be deleted when you transfer. Cancel all auctions and claim all items and credits from the GTN as well. Anything you leave in your mail box or on the GTN will be permanently deleted after a transfer.

Material Bank, Legacy Bank, Guild Bank, Personal Bank

Move all items and credits you want to take to the destination server and place those items in the characters personal bank and character inventory. Anything not in the characters personal bank and personal inventory will be left behind so clear out your Material Bank, Legacy Bank, and Guild Bank before you transfer that character. If you dissolve the guild before you transfer, anything left in the guild bank gets deleted with the guild so you may want to leave an alt in the guild for future use or give the guild away.

Credits

The only credits that can be taken to a destination server are those in the characters personal inventory. The current credit limit for a character is 4,294,817,295 credits. Normally this means that only the 4.29 billion credits that a character can hold will be transferred. Anything left in the legacy banks or guild bank will remain on the origin server.

Note: the current credit limit to Shae Vizla as of this post is going to be 15 million 2 million due to the difference in economic inflation between the older servers and the newer Shae Vizla server.

Achievements and Reputation

The highest level or completion for achievements and reputation will be copied from the origin server to the destination server with progress never falling below what it currently is on the destination server. If you have completed an achievement or reputation on the origin server, that achievement or reputation will be completed on the destination server. If you have only partially completed an achievement or reputation on the origin server or destination server, the highest level of progress will be copied over to the destination server. You will never lose the completion status or the highest level of progress on the destination server after a transfer.

• WARNING: you will not get rewarded for the completion of achievements or reputation by transferring characters. Rewards are triggered at the completion event and transferring characters only copies the status of an achievement and reputation rank.

Decorations

Decorations will be copied from the origin server to the destination server with the highest number of that decoration from either server taking priority on the destination server.

Example 1: If you have 1 Chair Decoration on the origin server and 1 Chair Decoration on the destination server before the transfer, you will still only have 1 Chair Decoration after the transfer.

Example 2: If you have 2 Chair Decoration on the origin server and 1 Chair Decoration on the destination server before the transfer, you will have 2 Chair Decoration after the transfer.

Example 3: If you have 1 Chair Decoration on the origin server and 2 Chair Decoration on the destination server before the transfer, you will have 2 Chair Decoration after the transfer.

Decoration count is not additive between the servers but rather the highest count of any decoration becomes the new standard on the destination server.

Note: as of the last server merges, the decoration count becomes additive when servers merge. In previous server merges, the number of decorations were added together after the merge. If you have 10 Chair Decoration on server A and 10 Chair Decoration on server B, after a merge between server A and server B you will have 20 Chair Decoration even if the maximum count of that decoration is normally 10. The hard limit for decorations still seems to be 999 even after merges.

An example of going over the normal count due to server merges are Rishi Idols I accumulated after 5 merges in which I was able to have 50/10 when the normal limit is usually 10.

image.png.8a1bdd2184a061cd0d04c61d5731fe15.png

Strongholds

Strongholds will not copy over. You will be able to purchase the strongholds you already unlocked at a reduced credit cost if you do not already have them active on the destination server. Transferring does not delete any existing strongholds on the destination server.

• WARNING: when buying back your strongholds on the destination server, be careful not to click the option to unlock a stronghold with Cartel Coins unless you want to spend Cartel Coins. It was a one click purchase with no confirmation box and support did not refund my 2,000 Cartel Coins when I clicked the wrong button. Do not spend 2000 CC clicking the wrong button like I did to purchase a 5,000 credit stronghold.

Note: as of the last server merges, strongholds will stay decorated and will copy over after a server merge. This can result in multiple of the same stronghold which can push you over your normal stronghold limit. There is a bug with going over the normal stronghold limit. You will have to delete your strongholds to or below the normal limit for the strongholds to automatically arrange themselves by last visited. Current stronghold limit is 20.

Note: Galactic Season strongholds may need to be repurchased at their full price as the button to unlock Galactic Season strongholds at the terminal may not work. Galactic Season strongholds can not be unlocked on the destination server using credits if you previously unlocked them on the origin server before the transfer.

Character Names

Character names are lost if a character by that name already exists on that server. You can use this to your advantage by forcing a character rename if you do not like your character name by creating a character with that same name on the destination server before transferring.

Note: As of the last server merges, the protocol for name retention is different than server transfers. It is not based on who has that name on the destination server, since servers are merging into a new server even if the server name does not change, nor is character name retention determined only by who made their character first. There are unknown factors calculated into which account gets to keep a characters name.

Outfitter

I have not fully test this out. Sometimes my outfits are saved when transferring characters, sometimes my outfits are deleted. The safest option is to save any outfit pieces you use in your outfits and keep them in your personal bank or character inventory. I seem to lose outfits that are currently active so try to activate an empty outfit slot or one you do not care about losing before the transfer. I do not fully understand the parameters causing outfits to delete during a transfer so do not rely on them all being there after a transfer.

Note: as of 7.4.1 build outfits should be retained when transferring servers.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

WARNING: you will not get rewarded for the completion of achievements or reputation by transferring characters. Rewards are triggered at the completion event and transferring characters only copies the status of an achievement and reputation rank.

I'm pretty sure it's only cartel coins that have this limitation. I think titles, mounts, and other rewards from achievements or reputations should still be available after transferring. Cartel coins don't work because they are only added when the achievement is first completed but a transfer bypasses that whole process. The other rewards are permanent bonuses available as long as the achievement is unlocked or reputation level is reached.

Otherwise, thanks for the summary about transfers.

Edited by ThanderSnB

11 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

Outfitter... sometimes outfits are deleted during transfer. I don't understand the parameters for this so don't expect all outfits to transfer with a character.

In my experience, ALL outfits are reset & you lose any that you’ve built. You will then need to spend lots of credits again rebuilding them. 😞

• Thanks 1

Strongholds DO copy over if you originally purchased them with cartel coins rather than credits, with these caveats:

Upon landing on the destination server, you may (may):

1. Need to go to the fleet terminal where you originally purchased a given stronghold and use the legacy reactivate feature (cost: 0) NOT repurchase using credits

2. You may see (0/x) areas opened up.   This is a lie.  Run through your stronghold once you've reactivated it and every room you had open on the original server will open up on the destination server.

Edited by xordevoreaux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, xordevoreaux said:

Strongholds DO copy over if you originally purchased them with cartel coins rather than credits, with these caveats:

Upon landing on the destination server, you may (may):

1. Need to go to the fleet terminal where you originally purchased a given stronghold and use the legacy reactivate feature (cost: 0) NOT repurchase using credits

2. You may see (0/x) areas opened up.   This is a lie.  Run through your stronghold once you've reactivated it and every room you had open on the original server will open up on the destination server.

That is good news!

Hey great post!  I'm sure its been a while since anyone has had the need to transfer anything.

I'm wondering about 'Legacy Bound' items that we have in our Cargo Hold or Inventory - will they transfer across and become available to the 'new Legacy' or will they 'vanish' into Legacy oblivion? Anyone have any prior experience with this?

This would include 306 / 324 + gear, legacy bound augments, Jawa crap, other legacy bound reward items...

31 minutes ago, lingburger said:

Hey great post!  I'm sure its been a while since anyone has had the need to transfer anything.

I'm wondering about 'Legacy Bound' items that we have in our Cargo Hold or Inventory - will they transfer across and become available to the 'new Legacy' or will they 'vanish' into Legacy oblivion? Anyone have any prior experience with this?

This would include 306 / 324 + gear, legacy bound augments, Jawa crap, other legacy bound reward items...

the items you need need to be on your character and not legacy cargo hold 

11 minutes ago, emperorruby said:

what happens if character name is taken by the same player to reserved it for a higher level character they want to transfer and keep the same name?    

You will have to rename your transfered character. If you delete your low level character you can then rename your transfered character with that name.

When transfers were about 100cc I used this technique to rename characters

Edited by Darkestmonty

1 hour ago, lingburger said:

they will transfer to the new server legacy; you won't lose them.

9 minutes ago, Everrgreen said:

they will transfer to the new server legacy; you won't lose them.

right, as long as they are in the personal inventory or personal bank of a transferred character they will move with the character to the destination server.

Everything in the legacy bank, material bank, guild bank, no matter if it is bound to legacy or unbound items will remain on the origin server.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies  :)

Its as I expected and quite frankly the way it should be. I got a lot of duplicate gear so I can sort it out and take a load with to the new server..

I'd assume that also applies to Legacy Bound cartel Packs :)

51 minutes ago, lingburger said:

Thanks for the replies  :)

Its as I expected and quite frankly the way it should be. I got a lot of duplicate gear so I can sort it out and take a load with to the new server..

I'd assume that also applies to Legacy Bound cartel Packs :)

I'm finishing up a few missing pieces myself then I'll have a full set of 344 PvP/PvE/Tank gear for SV.

Bound to Legacy only means that an item can't be traded to other players and is bound to your characters on a server (you can even mail BOL gear to your own characters). BOL does not mean bound to a specific legacy on a specific server only.

Another question-

Say I have one character on the origin server with 2 ilvl 340 implants and have unlocked the reduced cost for legacy. If i transfer that character with those implants to a new server, do I keep the reduced cost for further implants on the origin server?

2 minutes ago, Karnusk said:

Another question-

Say I have one character on the origin server with 2 ilvl 340 implants and have unlocked the reduced cost for legacy. If i transfer that character with those implants to a new server, do I keep the reduced cost for further implants on the origin server?

The reduced cost is based on Achievements. Since cheevos are transferred, any toons you transfer to a new server will get the reduced cost, regardless of whether or not they bring 340s with them.

So I probably shouldn't bother upgrading implants for characters I already have on the destination server until I transfer an origin server character with the reduced cost (who won't need to bring the 340 implants with him), yes?

5 minutes ago, Karnusk said:

So I probably shouldn't bother upgrading implants for characters I already have on the destination server until I transfer an origin server character with the reduced cost (who won't need to bring the 340 implants with him), yes?

Yes. It would save you a ton of TFs to get that reduction before gearing other toons.

4 hours ago, Karnusk said:

if you have excess tech frags on one server I would start buying duplicates of implants you know you will be using. Primarily because most people on origin servers have more characters there and it's easier to farm tech frags.

This will also save you the hassle of rushing the mission that gives you access to implants on new character. You can finish it casually while already having your implants you bought on the origin server.

Edited by Darkestmonty

• 1 month later...

So out of curiosity, I transferred a toon to a new server and all is as you said*, but I am a bit confused about legacy perks. On my transfer toon, I have all the legacy perks unlocked, but there is no way to access some of them. For example, I had Rocket Boost unlocked on my transferred toon and it is showing in Legacy as unlocked, but none of my other toons can access it NOR do they have an option to buy/unlock it. It shows as there and unlocked in the Legacy window, but it's not available at all via Abilities. I expected to have to repurchase it, so not a biggie (especially now that I have creds on this new server), but there seems to be no way to even do that on things like Rocket Boost (interestingly, I can unlock HK on the new server without going through the torture of getting him again, though I would have done it if I had to). Am I missing something? I really would like Rocket Boost on this server but it seems the only toon who can access and use it is the toon I transferred over. Sigh.

*On the SH, so glad you noted that about not clicking the Cartel Coin option to unlock already purchased SH's, BUT the thing won't let me highlight the reactivate with credits option at all. It's use Cartel Coins or nothing. I can't even re-purchase it at the FULL credit price. Any ideas? Anyone?

5 minutes ago, TahliahCOH said:

So out of curiosity, I transferred a toon to a new server and all is as you said*, but I am a bit confused about legacy perks. On my transfer toon, I have all the legacy perks unlocked, but there is no way to access some of them. For example, I had Rocket Boost unlocked on my transferred toon and it is showing in Legacy as unlocked, but none of my other toons can access it NOR do they have an option to buy/unlock it. It shows as there and unlocked in the Legacy window, but it's not available at all via Abilities. I expected to have to repurchase it, so not a biggie (especially now that I have creds on this new server), but there seems to be no way to even do that on things like Rocket Boost (interestingly, I can unlock HK on the new server without going through the torture of getting him again, though I would have done it if I had to). Am I missing something? I really would like Rocket Boost on this server but it seems the only toon who can access and use it is the toon I transferred over. Sigh.

*On the SH, so glad you noted that about not clicking the Cartel Coin option to unlock already purchased SH's, BUT the thing won't let me highlight the reactivate with credits option at all. It's use Cartel Coins or nothing. I can't even re-purchase it at the FULL credit price. Any ideas? Anyone?

you have to create a legacy on that server first before characters created on that server can have access.

13 minutes ago, TahliahCOH said:

Rocket boost is under Perks, Mounts.

have you looked there ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

you have to create a legacy on that server first before characters created on that server can have access.

There is a legacy on that server already. It's only level 5ish, though, is that the problem?