Is this a new change?

Flack

I noticed this change to vendor and mail windows recently and it's bugging me. Was this an intentional change? Or did I maybe enable this somehow? It's a pretty pointless change. Why have a Deploy Field Repair Droid button right below the Repair all button? Anyone else have this? 

I did reinstall Steam and SWTOR recently so that might be part of the problem. Thanks. 

mail.png

This is a recent change. Similar "convenience" features on the map. Completely pointless clutter...and the height of irony given all the pruning and "streamlining" of the UI over the last couple of years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have you unlocked a field repair droid on that toon? It looks to me you haven't which is why you're getting an "ad" for it. I don't believe you get the icon once you fully unlock it (all 3 stages). I bet they placed it next to the repair button to guarantee you'll see it. Btw, you don't have to pay CC to unlock it - credits work just as well.

Edited by VegaMist
  • Like 1

Yep, after unlocking all 3 levels and it went away. 350K credits to get rid of an annoyance. But still dumb it was there in the first place. Thanks all for the help. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flack said:

Yep, after unlocking all 3 levels and it went away. 350K credits to get rid of an annoyance. But still dumb it was there in the first place. Thanks all for the help. 

I agree it's an annoyance but I don't really think it's dumb. It's probably put there for people who don't really know that legacy perk exists.  If people unlock it, they don't have to go to a vendor to repair their gear anymore.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Screaming_Ziva said:

I agree it's an annoyance but I don't really think it's dumb. It's probably put there for people who don't really know that legacy perk exists.  If people unlock it, they don't have to go to a vendor to repair their gear anymore.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. If people don't know about legacy perks, that's the problem. And cluttering up mail and vendor windows won't solve it because when you try to unlock it, it never opens up the legacy tab. It just gives you the credits or CC option. It doesn't teach new users anything about the legacy tab or other legacy perks.  

Giving new users knowledge is a good thing, I just think this is a very bad way of doing it.  If that really was their intentions. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Screaming_Ziva said:

That explains why it doesn't seem to pop up on me after the first time I saw and got the perk.

It's VERY annoying.  I saw that and immediately thought of the scene in the movie Ready Player One where the CEO is showing the board that they could fill 70% of the players field of view with ads (ok...70% might not be the actual number from the movie, but you get my meaning)   Get rid of the "ads" by paying $ (credits). So...credit sink in my mind.

But, I'll fall for it on the servers where I have more credits than I'll ever spend.

There NEEDS to be an on/off switch for those options....unless it's INTENDED to be a credit sink, in which case that'd be why there is no on/off switch.

Edited by Darev
  • Like 1

It's clearly there so people can see it and use Cartel Coins (aka real money) to buy these things. There's a few places the little perk buttons have popped up in or since 7.4.  Broadsword trying to get every nickel and dime they can, not that I blame them 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, DarthNillard said:

It's clearly there so people can see it and use Cartel Coins (aka real money) to buy these things. There's a few places the little perk buttons have popped up in or since 7.4.  Broadsword trying to get every nickel and dime they can, not that I blame them 🤷‍♂️

It's definitely there so people can see it and act on it, but you don't have to spend CC on the unlock - credits work just as well.

It's just one more so-called upgrade that's really a downgrade in quality.

It's a distracting and pointless addition to UI.  The only way to get rid of it is to spend credits (or cartel coins).   I don't care if it's 'only' 350k credits, a fully upgraded repair droid is useless to me. I won't waste credits just because the dev's made yet another horrible eyesore of a UI change.

I upgrade repair droids on my crafters for the crew skill mats.  For all my other characters I have the Revan vendor for repairs.  It's a 1 minute cooldown compared to the fully upgraded repair droid's 15 minutes.

• Like 2

It doesn't bother me too much, but yeah it's wasted space for me. I use the Revan holostatue on all my characters. I never use the repair droid when I have a free one, with a shorter cooldown, I can pull out of collections at any time. And the Revan statue looks better too. The only benefit of repair droid is not having to use a slot in inventory, but everything else is better with the Revan statue. Okay, maybe the droid sells crafting mats, but I don't craft much. I usually just buy 1000 of each crafting mat on fleet and I'm good for a few months.

Edited by ThanderSnB

2 hours ago, VegaMist said:

It's definitely there so people can see it and act on it, but you don't have to spend CC on the unlock - credits work just as well.

That's fair, but the hope is that CC's will be spent.  Every cent counts lol....

13 hours ago, Flack said:

Wow. That's disappointing. I just don't see any point to this addition. You nailed it with "pointless clutter". 

Wdym it's "pointless"?

Have you not see the glaring unlock with credit/cc icons?

Goal achieved 10/10

/s

On 1/30/2024 at 8:52 AM, Flack said:

Why have a Deploy Field Repair Droid button right below the Repair all button?

mail.png

You seem to be oblivious to what that is. That's the repair droid from the legacy/perk unlock. It's a field repair droid. That means you can repair your gear in the field..... The reason they added it, is the same reason you asked this question. Players are oblivious to its existence.

1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

You seem to be oblivious to what that is. That's the repair droid from the legacy/perk unlock. It's a field repair droid. That means you can repair your gear in the field..... The reason they added it, is the same reason you asked this question. Players are oblivious to its existence.

and to increase CC usage. It makes a great credit sink because I'm buying the unlock with credits just to get rid of the advertisement.

4 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

and to increase CC usage. It makes a great credit sink because I'm buying the unlock with credits just to get rid of the advertisement.

Not true. Because again, that's already been in the game as a perk/legacy unlock. It's just been moved. Also can be purchased with pocket-change amount of credits

4 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

Not true. Because again, that's already been in the game as a perk/legacy unlock. It's just been moved. Also can be purchased with pocket-change amount of credits

the advertisement works in two ways

1. notifying players that such a feature exists
  2. annoying players that know it exists every time they repair

both at some point have probably lead to an increase in CC purchases and definitely (with me and a few others) lead to credit purchases.

i hope they would remove this gear repair altogether, repairing gear is just annoying and pointless, games like gw2 and dcuo and maybe some other mmos removed gear repair and it feels much better, i think the reason they added gear damage in first place was to punish players on death, this punishment is not needed, the death itself and having to revive in nearest med center is enough.    

Edited by bahramnima