7.4 Livestream coming October 18th!

JackieKo

8 hours ago, NeoBlakkrstal said:

You do realize that this is a colossal mistake. This will KILL the GTN. I guess Trade Chat will become very active once this happens. So much for the GTN. Great job guys. If your plan was to kill off the in game trade channel? You have succeeded brilliantly, way to go, congratulations.

It was my first though, but now i think it may be good (depending on the fee value), cause it could help reduce thoses absurds prices we see on the gtn for never selling objects.
It may also, like others said, push some players to do direct trade, but it's so annoying to spam trade until selling that i don't fear that.

I would like to add two questions in hope that they get answered from the team:

1. Are there any plans for further server merges after the servers are now in the cloud? (for example merging all EU Servers)

2. Are there any plans to delete/rename character names from old unplayed/unused accounts, making them available for new/active players? We had this in the past. 

Thank you in advance.

Regarding GTN, there was mention of the deposit becoming a fee. Does that mean it will no longer be refunded if the item doesn't sell?

That is correct. 

Predictably, the people who are defending this change are arguing that (1) the fee is insignificantly small and nothing to be troubled about, and (2) it will stop people from posting items on the GTN for extremely high prices.

The problem here is that if the fee is really so small that it shouldn't bother anybody, then how much of an incentive could it really give people to measurably reduce prices on the GTN?

Personally, I have the distinct feeling that this change was the result of the developers looking for a quick, easy way to make the player community believe that they're actually doing something to reduce the inflation in the game.

6 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

The problem here is that if the fee is really so small that it shouldn't bother anybody, then how much of an incentive could it really give people to measurably reduce prices on the GTN?

It's just another continuous credit sink. It might not be much for posting one item on the GTN, but it adds up over the months. I don't think the main intention behind it is to make people reduce prices willingly, and it wasn't given as a reason. The intention behind it, as with all the measures up until now, is to create a steady removal of credits from the economy to combat inflation. Ongoing costs are far more effective in achieving this than one-time credit sinks are.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

The problem here is that if the fee is really so small that it shouldn't bother anybody

You’re assuming they aren’t going to increase the fees as well or possibly up the percentage based on the listed sale cost.
One thing I’ve learnt over the years, is when swtor devs say “look over here” & it distracts you, you should be looking for what they aren’t telling you too 🧐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You’re assuming they aren’t going to increase the fees as well or possibly up the percentage based on the listed sale cost.
One thing I’ve learnt over the years, is when swtor devs say “look over here” & it distracts you, you should be looking for what they aren’t telling you too

You're right.

Just to be clear, though, I was not assuming that they aren't going to increase the fees. The people who are saying that the fee is too small to bother anyone are the ones assuming that.

21 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

Personally, I have the distinct feeling that this change was the result of the developers looking for a quick, easy way to make the player community believe that they're actually doing something to reduce the inflation in the game.

there are a lot of other quick way's that work much better to reduce the inflation in this game then something like that there are planning to do now with the fee from the GTN.

16 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Can we have the option to replay the class missions so we can see the lighting updates with our existing characters?

• This is definitely the kind of thing we have chatted about internally as something we would love to do, but making the original Class stories replayable or even viewable again is pretty monumental in scope. Not planned currently.

Thank you thank you thank you for this response, @JackieKo.  So many players over the years have treated this request as if it's just a case of pushing a couple of buttons and it's done, and it's good to finally see a statement (a) that the studio knows we would like this, (b) that the studio would like to do it, and (c) that it is nonetheless a big huge enormous chunk of work, and is not currently on the roadmap.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

You're right.

Just to be clear, though, I was not assuming that they aren't going to increase the fees. The people who are saying that the fee is too small to bother anyone are the ones assuming that.

My point is that “if” they change the list fee system in a way that it ends up costing sellers way more, then they’ll do 1 of 2 things. 

1. Stop listing on the GTN & focus more on player to player trades sales. 

or 

2. Incorporate those fees into the sales price, which actually increases inflationary pressures on the GTN.

Either of those scenarios is bad for the GTN & the game. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

My point is that “if” they change the list fee system in a way that it ends up costing sellers way more, then they’ll do 1 of 2 things. 

1. Stop listing on the GTN & focus more on player to player trades sales. 

or 

2. Incorporate those fees into the sales price, which actually increases inflationary pressures on the GTN.

Either of those scenarios is bad for the GTN & the game. 

I predict it will drive the casual gtn sellers away.  Especially for cosmetic crafted items where sales depend on
1. not getting undercut immediately
2. someone actually WANTING the item

'Professional' GTN sellers who spend hours (or have bots) that monitor the gtn, keep undercutting, buy up and relist, ect will be faced with less competition.
I get that the intent is to get prices down, but the actual result could be fewer sellers overall.

Why post some rare drop just in case someone wants it if it will cost you credits if no one buys it.
Why post some crafted item if you might be undercut buy the professionals and actually lose credits?

Why post mats if, again, you could lose credits?  Anyone who monitors the mats on the gtn can see how the prices and demand can vary a lot.  The ones posting in 9999 quantities may be the only ones left.

It might work to make the actual gameplay useful items come down in price, but that's it.  For my crafted cosmetic items I usually sell a third to half in one listing, but it's not always the same items that sell, demand varies, competition varies, and that minor fee?  Will start to add up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShadowyKai said:

Many reasons have now been stated why ... 

I think that changing the GTN deposit to a fee is just a bad idea all around.

21 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

I predict it will drive the casual gtn sellers away.

The casual gtn seller won't even notice the fees. All these horror scenarios hinge on the devs making the fee unreasonably huge. Which they won't, we've seen it in the stream. It's the same thing when people said they would stop using quick travel because it now costs a thousand credits. No one stopped using quick travel. I'm not saying any of these actions is a good idea or necessary, but you guys are blowing it out of proportion as usual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No one stopped using quick travel

Wrong.

If you had said, "not many people stopped using quick travel" or "not enough people stopped using quick travel to make a significant difference," then maybe that would have been accurate, I don't know what the overall numbers were.

But to say that nobody stopped using quick travel because of the new fees, that's just not true.

3 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

Wrong.

If you had said, "not many people stopped using quick travel" or "not enough people stopped using quick travel to make a significant difference," then maybe that would have been accurate, I don't know what the overall numbers were.

But to say that nobody stopped using quick travel because of the new fees, that's just not true.

Oh come on you know what I mean, it's a generalization for rhetoric effect. It's like you telling me I can't say that people don't like the taste of sewage water just because there is one weirdo somewhere out there who enjoys a fresh glass every morning.

Oh come on you know what I mean, it's a generalization for rhetoric effect.

Well, the reason that I didn't know you meant that is because I have seen people assert that nobody would, or did, stop using quick travel because of the fees, and they actually did mean it literally.

How do you know that?

Say, does everybody here remember when they announced the United Forces server merge some years back, and they were planning to name one of the new servers "The Hot Prospect"?

It was thought by many people to be a really silly name, and people quickly began making fun of it, calling it "Hot Pocket," "Hot Topic," "Hot Potato," "Hot Prostitute," and a bunch of other things.

As I recall, the developers told us that the new names were already hard coded and it was impossible to change the name of the "The Hot Prospect" server ... 

... and then, after a lot more mockery of the server name, they changed it. (To "Satele Shan.")

You see, folks, it's things like that that make MMORPG players skeptical about things.

9 hours ago, Oeconomicus said:

2. Are there any plans to delete/rename character names from old unplayed/unused accounts, making them available for new/active players? We had this in the past. 

This happened in past?  When?  I seem to recall something about characters level 10 and below that were inactive (don't remember what inactive criteria was) that got the forced rename option.  I don't remember there being any other name resets other than during server merges when there were name conflicts and only one of the conflicting characters were allowed to keep the name, forcing name resets on the other character(s).

15 hours ago, Whykara said:

It's just another continuous credit sink. It might not be much for posting one item on the GTN, but it adds up over the months. I don't think the main intention behind it is to make people reduce prices willingly, and it wasn't given as a reason. The intention behind it, as with all the measures up until now, is to create a steady removal of credits from the economy to combat inflation. Ongoing costs are far more effective in achieving this than one-time credit sinks are.

It is also going to make people put items like mats and consumables into much larger groupings since there would only be one fee instead of lots of them. I want a refund on the extra sales slots I purchased since I won't be posting as many groups as before due to this. Also, it isn't going to reduce costs at all, the prices won't drop. All this does is force people off the GTN who don't want to pay the increased cost without the possibility of getting your deposit back if the sale doesn't go through in the limited time they give you. With this deposit being made into a non-refundable fee, perhaps an increase in the length of time of listings would be warranted, say out to a month, since we won't be getting that money back if the item doesn't sell in the three days they now give.

On 10/21/2023 at 1:32 AM, codydmaan said:

Thank you very much for the update on "Hazardous" blue 340 gear. !

If the team would concider the option to convert the blue gear to 340 rakatta (instead of 342 from purple) I beleive that would make alot of people very Thankful. Since most of the community is running 340 blue gear "especially tanks" since 340 blue is better then 340 purple for tanks. 

Please concider that option 🙏 thanks!

No. I'd rather have Rakata pieces with correct tank stats. Should be easier to do too and less complicated to upgrade.  

If I can't have Rakata gear for a tank with proper tank stats, I'll just use incorrect stats then. I don't care anymore, I'm fed up with gearing up all roles and several classes every few months. 

If only we could have 344 mods, we could tune our own stats and it wouldn't be an issue... 🤔

• Like 1