EULA Bug - fix?

Jazulfi

I had this bug when I reinstalled on Steam back in 2020. I never figured out what caused it because it fixed itself on its own. I tried different fixes like deleting the file, recreating it, making sure it was readable, etc.. One day it just stopped asking, so maybe for you it will just stop one day. I don't remember exactly how long it went on, but I'm thinking a week or so.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had this issue for quite some time as well, somehow your approval is not saved, but this solution worked like a charm:

1. Download the client from swtor directly, not from steam.

2. Install via the client and start it.

3. Accept EULA agreement, the game will start downloading.

4. Once you have accepted EULA a file is created in the SWTOR folder of the new SWTOR client, should be found at  C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\SWTOR and is called eula.settings. You can stop downloading the game now.

5. Copy the eula.settings file into your SWTOR folder, for steam it's C:\....\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic.

6. Start SWTOR, normally you shouldn't have the issue anymore.

Hope this helps some people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11

10 hours ago, Yelajiwa said:

Had this issue for quite some time as well, somehow your approval is not saved, but this solution worked like a charm:

4. Once you have accepted EULA a file is created in the SWTOR folder of the new SWTOR client, should be found at  C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\SWTOR and is called eula.settings. You can stop downloading the game now.

5. Copy the eula.settings file into your SWTOR folder, for steam it's C:\....\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic.

OMG I've tried everything and this was the only thing that worked! Thank you so much! <3

Thank you SO damn much for discussing this issue! I was able to fix it as well. I had been dealing with this for weeks now!

Y'know, I just don't understand how little details, that are important and can become extremely annoying, get lost in translation here.  Was it really so difficult a task for the Steam team (or SWTOR?) to have the usual EULA.settings file be auto-generated for the Steam directories, the same as in the standalone game? I'm astonished that they missed that very important function.

Thanks again!

On 12/5/2023 at 11:05 AM, Yelajiwa said:

Excellent thank you! May the force serve you.

Le 05/12/2023 à 20:05, Yelajiwa a dit :

Thx !!!
I'll share it to steam / reddit
Oh and if this can be feedback to the dev, mabye something can be done in a future update @JackieKo ;)

Edited by Kazuone

Is there any specific encoding that the fake created eula.settings file has to be when being saved in notepad? I have like 6 options eg ANSI, UTF-8

This fix and the non-steam client setting file are sadly not working for me.

Also the Steam game directory has other file differences from the non-steam game directory, could any of these contribute?

Edited by Nikolaiwangaz
Adding info

TY for the tip, snagging the eula.settings from the standalone install process worked like a charm, and now Steam client doesn't bug me anymore.

For the devs:

This is the error I get in the launcher log  "ERROR Failed to transmit agreeement.  Resp: 500"

Edited by ChastityWTF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 11:05 AM, Yelajiwa said:

FIXED! This only takes a few minutes. Do it.

10 hours ago, DanteYoda said:

When i try to download the stand alone version it says looking for updates forever.. So i cannot fix my steam eula issue..

- close your steam swtor

- download the launcher from swtor.com

- open the launcher and let it run until you enter your user/pass and you agree to the EULA

- open file explorer to the folders listed and follow the instructions

Edited by Delphis

On 2/1/2024 at 4:27 AM, Delphis said:

- close your steam swtor

- download the launcher from swtor.com

- open the launcher and let it run until you enter your user/pass and you agree to the EULA

- open file explorer to the folders listed and follow the instructions

I've done that like 5 times.. it still says looking for updates forever.. After the initial extraction it just never updates anything after it...

Edited by DanteYoda

To fix this you have to find and delete your EULA file in the game file directory. What might have happened is you started the game as an administrator (the super user), the file got created, and now the file lacks read/write for your user profile. By deleting this file, you can ensure it's not only recreated, but done so under your user account.

Edited by Traceguy

On 2/6/2024 at 11:24 PM, Traceguy said:

To fix this you have to find and delete your EULA file in the game file directory. What might have happened is you started the game as an administrator (the super user), the file got created, and now the file lacks read/write for your user profile. By deleting this file, you can ensure it's not only recreated, but done so under your user account.

There is no Eula file in any directory.. in the Steam version..

Edited by DanteYoda

2 minutes ago, DanteYoda said:

Mine has one last time I checked. I'll look again later today.

Edited by Traceguy

10 hours ago, DanteYoda said:

There's indeed an EULA file for the Steam version. Here is mine

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\eula.settings

EDIT:

I'm editing to say, if you in fact don't have an EULA file, that is the reason the game keeps asking you. It's failing to create this file, so the next time you load the game, the launcher fails to open that file, and put you back through the whole EULA process again. I would recommend launching the game using "Run as administrator", and see if the eula file is created. That would tell whether or not the permission problem is actually on the folder.

Edited by Traceguy

On 2/8/2024 at 7:42 AM, Traceguy said:

There's indeed an EULA file for the Steam version. Here is mine

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\eula.settings

EDIT:

I'm editing to say, if you in fact don't have an EULA file, that is the reason the game keeps asking you. It's failing to create this file, so the next time you load the game, the launcher fails to open that file, and put you back through the whole EULA process again. I would recommend launching the game using "Run as administrator", and see if the eula file is created. That would tell whether or not the permission problem is actually on the folder.

Not in mine...

Swtor issue.jpg

On 2/10/2024 at 6:41 PM, DanteYoda said:

Not in mine...

Swtor issue.jpg

And that is why the game keeps putting you through the EULA. The client creates that file when you agree to the EULA. If you do not have that filed, the client will ask you agree to the EULA. You need to make sure that file it created. Try launching the game using the "Run as administrator" option in Windows.

The data in the file is pretty much obfuscated, so I can't say whether copying one from someone else would do anything, unless we can confirm everyone's EULA file all contains the same data.

Edited by Traceguy