The game is over.

3 hours ago, Bigfallenstar said:

And if you're wrong, are you willing to eat those words, and this post, with a tiny fork and with a slice of humble pie?

Despite not putting it as the OP would, I do share the same opinion as he does. 

Hopefully, everyone would be willing to eat the humble pie as well. Everytime they are wrong about something... Including devs (oof that humble pie is stale at this point)

Edited by felleto

4 hours ago, manlymandayruin said:

Broadsword didnt “hire” anybody. They were already on the payroll of EA. And for a game to lose 50% of their staff that is absolutely abysmal. 
not to mention “transfers” like these happen with studios all the time just out of formality’s sake, then the majority if not all the employees are let go shortly thereafter. 

I do not believe this is accurate. I can't see anywhere that says that BS is owned by EA. I have also seen tweets by people leaving EA and being hired at BS. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

I do not believe this is accurate. I can't see anywhere that says that BS is owned by EA. I have also seen tweets by people leaving EA and being hired at BS. 

Electronic Arts will remain the publisher, which means they will continue to provide player support, but that is it. EA will have no operational control over the development or direction of the game (same as has been said now ad naseum for years).

Before anyone accuses me of White Knighting and being a fanboi, I have on more than one occasion expressed skepticism about this change, particularly with respect to the pace of content releases. Fortunately, I love Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) and the game just released a pretty amazing new expansion last month. Point being, if bored with SWTOR (or even ESO or Diablo IV), I simply do something else.

Actually, if you look at the general consensus in response to Keith's thread, the overall thrust was measured: We are skeptical, but we will wait and see given justified concerns, particularly given the touting of the 10-year so called anniversary.

But as Yogi Berra, the famous New York Yankees catcher for 18 seasons said: "Predictions are tough, particularly about the future." So, if the OP wants to call us "delusional" so be it. I simply ask whether or not I'm having fun at that given moment. And I certainly don't think the OP has any basis to be as definitive as they have been on this obvious alt-account.

Still, StrikePrice, your broader point is 100% correct. The staff on the SWTOR team moving to Broadsword are no longer employed by EA (i.e., no control over hiring and firing). For example:

https://twitter.com/tedrants/status/1672384733630660609

For those who despise or don't have a Twitter account, here is the Tweet from somone named Ted Gegoux (no idea what he does on SWTOR) on June 23:

Today was my last day at #EA #laidoff. I agree with the choice to move #SWTOR to a place where it can get the love and attention it needs, and I will be joining the Broadsword team to make sure that happens. God speed rebels.
Edited by Jdast
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, manlymandayruin said:

After the news has broken that SWTOR will now be managed by a boutique maintenance company it is a 100% certainty that there will never be another expansion, there will never be new planets, no new story aside from lazily voiceless dialogues masked in a KOTOR style. There will never be new ops, warzones, arenas or new gear.

Broadsword will host meaningless mediocre anniversaries and events to get people to log back in and pay money, but nothing beyond that.

if you believe that a company that has never developed a single game will be adding new content to SWTOR then you are delusional.

the point of the game now is for completionists to finish their class stories, nightmare modes, and then ride off into the sunset.

Lastly as far as the dev said, talking about new planned content or whatever. Obviously he would say that. No dev would openly say that the game is being abandoned and being put into the hands of a company that manages servers of games from the 90’s.

Dont cope. The game is dead, finish your stuff and move on. There will never be anything new that is worthwhile on this game ever again. 

If that is the way you feel....

Then by all means....

Please leave. You will not be missed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jdast said:

Electronic Arts will remain the publisher, which means they will continue to provide player support, but that is it. EA will have no operational control over the development or direction of the game (same as has been said now ad naseum for years).

Before anyone accuses me of White Knighting and being a fanboi, I have on more than one occasion expressed skepticism about this change, particularly with respect to the pace of content releases. Fortunately, I love Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) and the game just released a pretty amazing new expansion last month. Point being, if bored with SWTOR (or even ESO or Diablo IV), I simply do something else.

Actually, if you look at the general consensus in response to Keith's thread, the overall thrust was measured: We are skeptical, but we will wait and see given justified concerns, particularly given the touting of the 10-year so called annivesary.

But as Yogi Berra, the famous New York Yankees catcher for 18 seasons said: "Predictions are tough, particularly about the future." So, if you want to call us "delusional" so be it. I simply ask whether or not I'm having fun at that given moment. And I certainly don't think you have any basis to be as definitive as you have been on this obvious alt-account.

Still, StrikePrice, your broader point is 100% correct. The staff on the SWTOR team moving to Broadsword are no longer employed by EA (i.e., no control over hiring and firing). For example:

https://twitter.com/tedrants/status/1672384733630660609

For those who despise or don't have a Twitter account, here is the Tweet from somone named Ted Gegoux (no idea what he does on SWTOR) on June 23:

Today was my last day at #EA #laidoff. I agree with the choice to move #SWTOR to a place where it can get the love and attention it needs, and I will be joining the Broadsword team to make sure that happens. God speed rebels.

Right. That's my only point. Now, I don't know if they truly did hire 40 people or what the actual state of the world on the ground is. My only point is 40 people seems like a lot for maintenance mode. But, maybe they will finish 7.4 and then lay everyone off or maybe they "hired" them with temporary contracts. There are a million permutations that would satisfy the "news" and still be bad for the game. So, I'm in wait and see mode, personally. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Broadsword would've made an announcement by now. They could have said anything about their plans for the game or just simply introduced themselves,  that would've done much to ease many people's fears about the future of the game, but the radio silence is horrible. 

Edited by oomaie

21 minutes ago, StrikePrice said:

Right. That's my only point. Now, I don't know if they truly did hire 40 people or what the actual state of the world on the ground is. My only point is 40 people seems like a lot for maintenance mode. But, maybe they will finish 7.4 and then lay everyone off or maybe they "hired" them with temporary contracts. There are a million permutations that would satisfy the "news" and still be bad for the game. So, I'm in wait and see mode, personally. 

Agreed, particularly on the contractual permutations / medium to long-term intentions with respect to staffing. Wait and see it is! 

I also edited my post for when I said "you" when I meant the OP. Apolgies. Doh! 

Edited by Jdast
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, oomaie said:

If Broadsword would've made an announcement by now. They could have said anything about their plans for the game or just simply introduced themselves,  that would've done much to ease many people's fears about the future of the game, but the radio silence is horrible. 

It is weird no one from BS has said anything.

7 hours ago, manlymandayruin said:

Its common sense. If you are to look at ultima online and daoc as an example, expansions have not been released for those games for over a decade, and that was before broadsword took over. If they cant make an expansion for such archaic games, then they certainly are incapable of doing it for SWTOR.

Broadsword also has the image of an unprofessional and apathetic company. There are videos of their devs falling asleep on game discussion streams. Broadsword has also made promises for UO and DAOC that they made multiple years ago and have not delivered.

The one job of the people at Broadsword is keep the servers running, and thats all that will be done for SWTOR. 

Once again, any hope for content under this company is pure delusion.

Ultima Online got time of Legends expansion  like six years back. Beyond that, UO  keeps getting content patches and live events all the time? In fact, Ultima Online does live dev in a bit more lively fashion than most modern day MMos manage.

Broadsword was a tiny studio til BW Austin merged with it. Now it is a much larger studio. Instead of seeing what they manage to do now, you rather just  don your end is nigh-sign. It is so puzzling to see this evident glee to drop by here with your doom and gloom fantasy. Like the notion of game dying seems to..excite  you somehow?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, denavin said:

Nobody knows what will happen until it actually happens. Until then everything said in this post is pure speculation and conjecture.

Agreed...  I know that the reply with the v8.0 crystal ball was probably less than some of my other responses in the past ... BUT also did illustrate a solid point! If we want to know EXACTLY what takes place in the next 6 months .. then I guess we need to be here and see it first-hand. 

Additionally:

If we choose NOT to .. then that's cool!  If for some reason I move on someone will throw a big party ...  and that will be the end of it (more or less).  My decisions are exactly that ... MY decisions.  Are there some things that we'd like to see done differently ... sure!  Nothing wrong with that either!

IMO it's not about the money I'm spending each month.  There's a LOT more to this game than just that.  Frankly it's one of the few out there that (in spite of everything) I feel like I can participate in as we do.  No .. I don't any fancy explanations or words of wisdom to share as to WHY.  But in the end ... it's still MY CHOICE to make.  I would imagine that is how things are for most of us!  

No ... we don't know the future of SWTOR!  No body does for a certainty.  Debate can be good!  Discussing thing in a strong but civil manner is good!  Sticking to actual facts is without question in everyone's best interest. 

Live ...and let LIVE!  Have fun!  Make friends!  Enjoy SWTOR! (Or find another game where you can have fun) 

Life is too short to do otherwise!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LJ_Gibbs said:

It is weird no one from BS has said anything.

That's an interesting abbreviation for the company considering Bioware's past record (and most of the people at Broadsword) will be "Bioware" employees).

Hehe "BS" hehe

I definitely agree with the guy that said BS should've come out and said something by nau.  I would love some more corporate "BS" on their part. We have been with BW for too long, we are used to that by now. 

Joke's aside, the anticipation is frecking KILLING ME!

Edited by felleto
Gonna edit last post so I don't flood

12 minutes ago, felleto said:

Hehe "BS" hehe

You said exactly what I was thinking when I read that. heh 😄

1 hour ago, StrikePrice said:

👍

1 hour ago, denavin said:

If that is the way you feel....

Then by all means....

Please leave. You will not be missed.

Well said.

1 hour ago, Jdast said:

Thank for sharing that Jdast. Good info to have.

I especially liked the ending. "God Speed Rebels." Classic Star Wars reference. Very cool.

36 minutes ago, Stradlin said:

Broadsword was a tiny studio til BW Austin merged with it. Now it is a much larger studio. Instead of seeing what they manage to do now, you rather just  don your end is nigh-sign. It is so puzzling to see this evident glee to drop by here with your doom and gloom fantasy. Like the notion of game dying seems to..excite  you somehow?

This sums it up nicely. Just more Doom's day naysaying to push people's bottons and to insult people who simply have some hope that maybe the change might be for the best.

For some, they might see it as A New Hope for the game.

30 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

Agreed...  I know that the reply with the v8.0 crystal ball was probably less than some of my other responses in the past ... BUT also did illustrate a solid point! If we want to know EXACTLY what takes place in the next 6 months .. then I guess we need to be here and see it first-hand. 

I rather liked your v8.0 crystal ball commentary. Got a bunch of smiles out of it. Well done, Old man. 👍👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, manlymandayruin said:

Broadsword didnt “hire” anybody. They were already on the payroll of EA

If you followed any of the swtor devs on twitter, you would know how wrong that statement is. 

They have been hired by Broadsword & work for Broadsword now. Not BioWare or even EA as BS isn’t owned by EA like BioWare is. 

The rest of the swtor team has either moved to other BW/EA projects or been let go. That was the choices offered to those that Broadsword didn’t want/need. 

So Broadsword did hire half the team & on this point, you are 100% wrong.

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

So Broadsword did hire half the team & on this point, you are 100% wrong.

I agree with this... to a point.

Where did BS get this massive amount of money to pay these people in perpetuity?  BS can't have overflowing coffers.

Someone has to be paying this BW now BS people.  They had 23 employees.  They now have probably double that.  Who is paying their checks... their healthcare.  I know we don't know 100% but that had to be part of the deal. 

Also... what does GiantBomb know that most of us here ... do not?

https://www.giantbomb.com/broadsword-online-games/3010-25048/

"Broadsword is a studio based in Herndon, Virginia that specializes in continuing the operation of MMORPGs after their original development studios move on to other projects."

Guys! Did any of you actually payed any attention to what Keith Kanneg posted regarding the

Spoiler

Basilisk pet/companion Lane Vizla promised to the ones who did the Ruhnuk ARC

He said the story is far from over, will continue in 7.4 but even then it won't come to an end. I take that as a hint to future expansions, maybe the scrips already exist, but they won't be developed by Bioware, but by Broadsword.  Now i'm not saying that will be 100% true, but let's have some hope. 

Edited by Hrafnhildur

8 minutes ago, LJ_Gibbs said:

Because people can't just wait and see without some sort of "hope". 

How would you as the developer, go about giving the players hope? I’m not being rhetorical either. I’d actually like to know what solution you’d use.

They’ve already shared what their plans are for the rest of the year. Which was no more or less than they always do. They’ve actually given us more info regarding DX12 & AWS migration & told us there is more story coming. 

Honestly, I don’t know what more they could do to reassure players. Other than releasing a detailed road map & doing a “live” stream with the team. Both of which I think will happen in the coming months once they finish the transition & find new premises in Austin Tx. 

Until then, we just need some patience. All this doom & gloom will just turn people away & make it a self fulfilling prophecy.

We just need to wait & see. The game isn’t being shut down & we still have 7.4 confirmed in fall. 

All I’m suggesting is give them time to transition the company/personal/assets & setup new offices & release 7.4. Because that will make no difference to current players than if BW were still running things. We won’t really know or see Broadswords influence on the game for at least 3-6 months.

In reality, I doubt we’ll see much change till February-march next year. Which would be when BW would have added new content too. And personally, I think it will be more like April-May due to this disruption to the work force. 

Im being agnostic as to wether the change of company will be good or bad. None of us have enough data or information to even make a half baked prediction. We just need to let it play out & see. But the doom & gloom threads like this one certainly won’t help or give them a chance to prove what they say if everyone abandons the game because we let wild speculation drive players away.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

How would you as the developer, go about giving the players hope? I’m not being rhetorical either. I’d actually like to know what solution you’d use.

They’ve already shared what their plans are for the rest of the year. Which was no more or less than they always do. They’ve actually given us more info regarding DX12 & AWS migration & told us there is more story coming. 

Honestly, I don’t know what more they could do to reassure players. Other than releasing a detailed road map & doing a “live” stream with the team. Both of which I think will happen in the coming months once they finish the transition & find new premises in Austin Tx. 

Until then, we just need some patience. All this doom & gloom will just turn people away & make it a self fulfilling prophecy.

We just need to wait & see. The game isn’t being shut down & we still have 7.4 confirmed in fall. 

All I’m suggesting is give them time to transition the company/personal/assets & setup new offices & release 7.4. Because that will make no difference to current players than if BW were still running things. We won’t really know or see Broadswords influence on the game for at least 3-6 months.

In reality, I doubt we’ll see much change till February-march next year. Which would be when BW would have added new content too. And personally, I think it will be more like April-May due to this disruption to the work force. 

Im being agnostic as to wether the change of company will be good or bad. None of us have enough data or information to even make a half baked prediction. We just need to let it play out & see. But the doom & gloom threads like this one certainly won’t help or give them a chance to prove what they say if everyone abandons the game because we let wild speculation drive players away.

They have "reassured" players for years and have a HORRIBLE track record.  They DON'T listen to feedback from the PTS's they do... and on the forums in general.   At this point... I will be AMAZED if the dates they gave us for 7.4... wait I couldhave sworn I saw in one of these posts it said something about "the holiday"... maybe it was from Musco... anyway... I will be AMAZED if they hit that.  You know why?  TRACK RECORD.  It's the same people. 

4 hours ago, LJ_Gibbs said:

I agree with this... to a point.

Where did BS get this massive amount of money to pay these people in perpetuity?  BS can't have overflowing coffers.

Someone has to be paying this BW now BS people.  They had 23 employees.  They now have probably double that.  Who is paying their checks... their healthcare.  I know we don't know 100% but that had to be part of the deal. 

Also... what does GiantBomb know that most of us here ... do not?

https://www.giantbomb.com/broadsword-online-games/3010-25048/

"Broadsword is a studio based in Herndon, Virginia that specializes in continuing the operation of MMORPGs after their original development studios move on to other projects."

The way a publisher and game developer relationship works is that the publisher fronts the developer money that they have to pay back over time. So yes EA gave BS money for the short term to pay all the new hires and other things they'd need to take on a live service game of this magnitude... Another reason this deal is a lot different than the other two games they currently oversee. So yeah EA probably has a vested interest in the game continuing and thriving so they get their return on investment. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.