The game is over.

After the news has broken that SWTOR will now be managed by a boutique maintenance company it is a 100% certainty that there will never be another expansion, there will never be new planets, no new story aside from lazily voiceless dialogues masked in a KOTOR style. There will never be new ops, warzones, arenas or new gear.

Broadsword will host meaningless mediocre anniversaries and events to get people to log back in and pay money, but nothing beyond that.

if you believe that a company that has never developed a single game will be adding new content to SWTOR then you are delusional.

the point of the game now is for completionists to finish their class stories, nightmare modes, and then ride off into the sunset.

Lastly as far as the dev said, talking about new planned content or whatever. Obviously he would say that. No dev would openly say that the game is being abandoned and being put into the hands of a company that manages servers of games from the 90’s.

Dont cope. The game is dead, finish your stuff and move on. There will never be anything new that is worthwhile on this game ever again. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, manlymandayruin said:

After the news has broken that SWTOR will now be managed by a boutique maintenance company it is a 100% certainty that there will never be another expansion, there will never be new planets, no new story aside from lazily voiceless dialogues masked in a KOTOR style. There will never be new ops, warzones, arenas or new gear.

Broadsword will host meaningless mediocre anniversaries and events to get people to log back in and pay money, but nothing beyond that.

if you believe that a company that has never developed a single game will be adding new content to SWTOR then you are delusional.

the point of the game now is for completionists to finish their class stories, nightmare modes, and then ride off into the sunset.

Lastly as far as the dev said, talking about new planned content or whatever. Obviously he would say that. No dev would openly say that the game is being abandoned and being put into the hands of a company that manages servers of games from the 90’s.

Dont cope. The game is dead, finish your stuff and move on. There will never be anything new that is worthwhile on this game ever again. 

As SWTOR approaches it's 12th year anniversary, I have only subscribed about 2/3 of the time. At times, largely due to bad design decisions, I have devoted my time to one of the many other games on the market.

With respect, though, I neither need nor desire your advice on how I have fun in a video game, much less your definition of what is "worthwhile" -- to quote you.

Broadsword is bringing on SWTOR developers too. Do I know what the future holds? No, of course not; then again, neither do you.

Your post is patronizing, insulting, incredibly arrogant and based purely on rank speculation. Regardless, I really don't care if you think I'm wasting 15 $U.S dollars / month. 

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast
  • Like 10
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

This is all speculation on your part. You have zero idea what will happen. I suggest you put the breaks on this thread & wait 6 months to see what news & changes are made. 

Its common sense. If you are to look at ultima online and daoc as an example, expansions have not been released for those games for over a decade, and that was before broadsword took over. If they cant make an expansion for such archaic games, then they certainly are incapable of doing it for SWTOR.

Broadsword also has the image of an unprofessional and apathetic company. There are videos of their devs falling asleep on game discussion streams. Broadsword has also made promises for UO and DAOC that they made multiple years ago and have not delivered.

The one job of the people at Broadsword is keep the servers running, and thats all that will be done for SWTOR. 

Once again, any hope for content under this company is pure delusion.

Edited by manlymandayruin
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jdast said:

As SWTOR approaches it's 12th year anniversary, I have only subscribed about 2/3 of the time. At times, largely due to bad design decisions, I have devoted my time to one of the many other games on the market.

With respect, though, I neither need nor desire your advice on how I have fun in a video game, much less your definition of what is "worthwhile" -- to quote you.

Broadsword is bringing on SWTOR developers too. Do I know what the future holds? No, of course not; then again, neither do you.

Your post is patronizing, insulting, incredibly arrogant and based purely on rank speculation. Regardless, I really don't care if you think I'm wasting 15 $U.S dollars / month. 

Dasty

Nobody told you how to “have fun”. There are plenty of dead games people enjoy playing. The issue is that your delusion of new content from a boutique maintenance company needs to be addressed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, manlymandayruin said:

Nobody told you how to “have fun”. There are plenty of dead games people enjoy playing. The issue is that your delusion of new content from a boutique maintenance company needs to be addressed.

Then you shouldn't have used the term "worthwhile" as you're imposing your definition of that word on us.

More importantly, until you can tell me how many developers from Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot transferred over to Broadsword, your prediction is based on speculation and those empirical examples may not be applicable. Out of curiosity, do you even know how many from the UO and DAoC teams, respectively, moved over? I'm guessing no. 

Personally, I think you are probably right -- operative term being "probably" -- I see little harm in waiting, particularly since I'm enjoying the new content patch released just one month ago. FYI, that new content, albeit at a snails pace, has been released within the past year, renders your using UO and DAoC as examples even less comparable.

Edited by Jdast
Stupid Typos!

Let the man speak. Any opinion posted in this forum about the future of the game is as baseless as the next one. If he wants to paint it in a "negative" light because he feels this way that is his right. 

I'm biased however (I'm human who would've thought). I think all evidence point to the future the OP is describing. I'm ready and looking forward to be proven wrong, though. 

Additionally, his opinion is not insulting, arrogant nor patronizing. He is just stating what he thinks. Is it what most players want to hear? No. Is he wrong? I don't know but neither does anyone at this point. I'm just tired at this point... Let the game be in maintenance mode at this point. I think we as players need to accept that things may not be as nice and dandy as devs make it to be. To be perfectly honest, there aren't many examples of the devs being that transparent with the state of the game. 

2 minutes ago, manlymandayruin said:

I don't think their opinion needs to be addressed however. Neither theirs nor yours. 

1 minute ago, felleto said:

Additionally, his opinion is not insulting, arrogant nor patronizing. He is just stating what he thinks. Is it what most players want to hear? No. Is he wrong? I don't know but neither does anyone at this point.

Strong disagree. And, frankly, your post basically agrees with main point that Trixxie and I made. You acknowledge explicitly that we don't know, nor does he; i.e., speculation. 

I'll let you decide for yourself what is insulting, arrogant and patronizing, but afford me the same courtesy. Personally, I don't like being called "delusional" -- but that's just me.

Dasty

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, manlymandayruin said:

Its common sense. If you are to look at ultima online and daoc as an example, expansions have not been released for those games for over a decade, and that was before broadsword took over. If they cant make an expansion for such archaic games, then they certainly are incapable of doing it for SWTOR.

Broadsword also has the image of an unprofessional and apathetic company. There are videos of their devs falling asleep on game discussion streams. Broadsword has also made promises for UO and DAOC that they made multiple years ago and have not delivered.

The one job of the people at Broadsword is keep the servers running, and thats all that will be done for SWTOR. 

Once again, any hope for content under this company is pure delusion.

If that were the case, BS would not have hired 40 people. They would have hired 5. I think they have plans right now ... whether those plans will take any shape, that remains to be seen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More importantly, until you can tell me how many developers from Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot transferred over to Broadsword, 

Huh? Those guys were already there. Bioware developers that transferred over to Broadsword = approximately 40 out of 80 on staff, going by the original leak in the article.

3 minutes ago, StrikePrice said:

If that were the case, BS would not have hired 40 people. They would have hired 5. I think they have plans right now ... whether those plans will take any shape, that remains to be seen. 

Broadsword didnt “hire” anybody. They were already on the payroll of EA. And for a game to lose 50% of their staff that is absolutely abysmal. 
not to mention “transfers” like these happen with studios all the time just out of formality’s sake, then the majority if not all the employees are let go shortly thereafter. 

5 minutes ago, Jdast said:

Strong disagree. And, frankly, your post basically agrees with main point that Trixxie and I made. You acknowledge explicitly that we don't know, nor does he; i.e., speculation. 

I'll let you decide for yourself what is insulting, arrogant and patronizing, but afford me the same courtesy. Personally, I don't like being called "delusional" -- but that's just me.

Dasty

Wait until you get to be MY age..  delusional ...  that will be the LEAST of your problems!!

[/facepalm]

BTW ... If the game is over ... can I finally get the last rewards from the GS series?  NO? 

[/shrugs]

The servers are still up!!  Soooo ... maybe things aren't quite finished yet?  I still don't have that v8.0 crystal ball yet.   I'm a bit in the dark about this whole game over thing!

[/Transmission has been interupted .... ]

Lower your shields and surrender you keyboard!  Independant thought will no longer be tolerated.  Your distinctiveness will be added to the collective and you will service us!  Resistance is futile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An inference is not is not the same as speculation.

Facts:

A- Broadsword is 'boutique studio'.

B- Broadsword never developed their own game.

C- Broadsword keeps games in 'mantainance' mode. That is what they do.

D- Several of SWTOR devs moved to Broadsword.

If some want to infer from only D, that it means that suddenly Broadsword will change its way.... Be my guess, is not an invalid point of view and i actually HOPE that is the case.

Everyone else have FACTS A, B and C and will infer similar as the Op did: game will go into mantainance mode 'soon'.

Again, the first crowd says 'but we have fact D'. That might as well mean is just for easier transition, finish current updates in the works and slowly the number of devs will be less. What? you never heard of companies making it look like one thing, even making promises to employees and then doing another thing? Is everyone that naive?

Note: Even after saying that, it does not mean i agree with all what (and specially how) the OP said.

Ahh yes, another Oracle from Delphi who has never won the Lotto even with all those spiffy Crystal balls, come to sermonize people who don't think they know what's definitely gonna happen in the future.

If you happen to hear some distant laughter that you're not sure where it's coming from, even with all your crystal balls, I can help you there.

Making definitive statements about what will be in the future is a great way to hear God laugh.

The only 100% certainty here is no one has a friggen clue what's gonna happen in the future.

46 minutes ago, felleto said:

Additionally, his opinion is not insulting, arrogant nor patronizing. He is just stating what he thinks

You see, that's the problem right there. It would be fine if he said he was "just stating what he thinks". But, he wasn't just stating what he thinks, he clearly stated that what he  is saying is a 100% guaranteed fact. It is definitely right, it's definitely going to happen that way.

The other people are giving opinions, even you are just giving your opinion, and that's absolutely fine. Even if your opinion is "I think the game is dying, game is dead, game will likely go onto maintenance mode". (which according to some posters at large was about to happen for the last 10 years).

He's not giving an opinion, he's conducting a sermon on the mount.

Speaking only for myself, I'm not interested in his religious beliefs.

I get enough of that sort of crap arguing with Flat Eather's, who also speak in religious tones about certainty without any actual credible evidence other than simple pronouncements that they know better than everyone else, including Einstein and Newton,  while at the same time being the dumbest people alive.

I have no issue with your opinions or your manner. You're not making pronouncements, your giving your opinions which happen to agree with his pronouncements.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Balameb said:

An inference is not is not the same as speculation.

Facts:

A- Broadsword is 'boutique studio'.

B- Broadsword never developed their own game.

C- Broadsword keeps games in 'mantainance' mode. That is what they do.

D- Several of SWTOR devs moved to Broadsword.

If some want to infer from only D, that it means that suddenly Broadsword will change its way.... Be my guess, is not an invalid point of view and i actually HOPE that is the case.

Everyone else have FACTS A, B and C and will infer similar as the Op did: game will go into mantainance mode 'soon'.

Again, the first crowd says 'but we have fact D'. That might as well mean is just for easier transition, finish current updates in the works and slowly the number of devs will be less. What? you never heard of companies making it look like one thing, even making promises to employees and then doing another thing? Is everyone that naive?

Note: Even after saying that, it does not mean i agree with all what (and specially how) the OP said.

The context of the statement does carry a lot of weight!  To that point I agree completely.

NONE of us can state conclusively that we have clairvoyance enough to provide specific information on what's to come OR conjure up the necessary data to PROVE the end of the game is already here! (Just saying)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balameb said:

Yeah... 

Maybe he's mad. We all, probably, spend a lot of time playing this game. I feel it is a very important part of my life and I remember fondly playing it. If he's angry because of that I truly understand him. SWTOR could've been a never ending KOTOR, instead we got cash shop ( I had to ****** buy Revan's lightsaber...) and some subpar narratives that our choices make little to no impact in the story. 

I'm getting off topic, but I think a lot of people are still hopeful. Wish I could be like that...

8 minutes ago, felleto said:

SWTOR could've been a never ending KOTOR

Than I would have wanted the game to end.

I like some Star Wars in my Star Wars.

Besides, SWTOR already has enough of some of the aspects from that trash.

You see, both of our statements are examples of people's opinions. You liked that stuff, I like real Star Wars.

Opinions are fine.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

4 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

This is all speculation on your part. You have zero idea what will happen. I suggest you put the breaks on this thread & wait 6 months to see what news & changes are made. 

Unfortunately, some folks don't stop with speculative conclusions based on "concrete" information found on the internet or their own repeated failed attempts at reductio ad absurdum.  I would also suspect that exercising one's own distinctive cognitive abilities adds further dissatisfaction (as well as) frustration to their day! (Particularly since anyone capable of thinking and drawing their own conclusions based on actual facts seems to be more of an annoyance than normal.

I don't know about you @TrixxieTriss ... but I kind of think that @Nee-Elder is pretty close to the mark! 

Hang on a second !!!  Something was just delivered to me.  It might be THE package I've been waiting for! ...

[/runs to door .. finds package]

Ah ! Here we are!  Cool!!

[/takes knife and slices open the box.  Very unceremoniously rips off Styrofoam packing and the paper wrapping around the ball-shaped item.]

My crystal ball ... v8.0!  Finally!!

After sitting it on a table ...  dimming the lights ... looks eagerly at the new instrument! ... It begins to cloud up!  Then, suddenly and without warning thunder and lightening begins to erupt from the crystal ball.  The activity becomes increasingly so violent that it becomes necessary to take action!  Grabbing a light saber ... a couple of quick motions aimed at the sphere soon finds the mark and the ball is sliced open.  Something green ...mechanical and ominous ... almost spider like crawls out ...  Looks for a victim! Jumping to one side it becomes necessary to quickly grab a nearby blaster ... SEVERAL shots are fired!  And in spite of the agile maneuvers of the unknown bio-mechanical creature it soon lays lifeless ... smoldering!

[/shrugs]

So much for a new crystal ball.  I guess I'll just have to wait see what happens to SWTOR (like everyone else).

😉

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, manlymandayruin said:

Cope. Must be a troll when they call you out on your delusions.

Have fun waiting for that Broadsword-sponsored SWTOR xpac.

And if you're wrong, are you willing to eat those words, and this post, with a tiny fork and with a slice of humble pie?