An update on the development of SWTOR

KeithKanneg

1 hour ago, OlBuzzard said:

As long as it's not Klingon opera!  Please no!!  NOT that!!

😜

'Hear Sons of Kahless. Hear Daughters too.
The blood of battle washes clean.
The Warrior brave and true.
We fight, we love, and then we kill,
Our lives burn short and bright,
Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the black fleet,
where we battle forever battling on through the Eternal fight.'

🤬

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

'Hear Sons of Kahless. Hear Daughters too.
The blood of battle washes clean.
The Warrior brave and true.
We fight, we love, and then we kill,
Our lives burn short and bright,
Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the black fleet,
where we battle forever battling on through the Eternal fight.'

🤬

Gamorrean opera is better than Klingon opera.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chaharbagh said:

Gamorrean opera is better than Klingon opera.

I would prefer to see music in SWTOR similar to the music that was being played at the Sanctuary (just before it was blown up) ..  kind of hated to see that too I might add!

To be perfectly candid .. that was the sort of thing that I was hoping to see the 10th anniversary celebration!

You know ... FUN!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sithBracer said:

It's a declining 12 year old MMO on a terrible proprietary engine on a declining IP that is expensive to develop for. What do you think the roadmap is? Put it on maintenance mode, add more monetization schemes, bleed it dry, move on. It's what broadsword did in the past and it seems to have been working for them. Why change that?

What additional monetization approaches would you expect from Broadsword? I'm not familiar with their other 2 games, or what might happen when a game like SWTOR moves to a studio like Broadsword. 

If they just leave the game as is, I'd still play from time to time, even if it doesn't get real updates like, say, Ruhnuk this past December, or the occasional new FP (basically what SWTOR story updates have been in recent years). I'm kind of expecting those to either stop, or become much less common, perhaps 1 every year or 18 months. Ideally, they'd at least finish the Malgus/Darth Nul story properly. 

I assume Broadsword would want to continue with CM items, as that's what's most profitable about SWTOR, but would they, say, add pay-to-win gear? Or other things like it (BiS augments?) to the CM BioWare always kept off it?

4 hours ago, aeterno said:

Not that we got much content from BW of late, but I can't imagine the new studio will have the capability to continue producing VO story content at all... which was just about the only reason to stick around.

That's basically the hutt lady warming up her vocal cords 

Bummer. 

What makes you so sure voiced story content won't be possible?

I don't have any idea either way, and am just asking. 

Considering what SWTOR's updates have been in 6.x and 7.x, if the game lost voiced story updates, I think many of its players would move on to other games. That means way less CM revenue, and EA must know that. If they plan on trying to continue to make similar revenue off of SWTOR, voiced story updates would likely be required. 

I could imagine them dropping German and French as supported languages, though. That would at least cut player character voices to 16 people instead of 48. Frankly, I'm surprised BW hadn't already done that years ago. Perhaps they are obligated contractually somehow to provide content in German and French. 

Edited by arunav

34 minutes ago, arunav said:

What makes you so sure voiced story content won't be possible?

It’s just expensive. You’re managing 16 voice actors just for the English playable characters — 48 for all three dubbed languages supported. 

on top of this, every playable character line of dialogue has at least two options (usually three), meaning that you also need to record several variations of most NPC lines of dialogue. 

There’s a reason virtually no MMO fully voices all their quests and an even greater reason said quests don’t have branching dialogue. 

Again, we have no clue what the terms of this deal look like, but Broadsword as it currently exists is in no way able to support that sort of development. Their Ultima Online team has six whole people. 

Edited by jedimasterjac
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arunav said:

What additional monetization approaches would you expect from Broadsword? I'm not familiar with their other 2 games, or what might happen when a game like SWTOR moves to a studio like Broadsword. 

DAOC and UO are very different styles of MMO from SWTOR so I think it’s hard to map 1:1. But expect more micro transactions and expect little to no updates. 

Unless, again, Broadsword has some plan to really expand and revolutionize themselves. But the studio as it stands is going to be nothing but a maintenance mode steward. 

Edited by jedimasterjac

41 minutes ago, arunav said:

I could imagine them dropping German and French as supported languages, though. 

they're already dropping the support lines for both right? i wouldn't mind them dropping German as a supported language though, never liked the german dub (german btw) lol

3 minutes ago, meddani said:

they're already dropping the support lines for both right? i wouldn't mind them dropping German as a supported language though, never liked the german dub (german btw) lol

No, the support lines were just down for maintenance for like a day. 

6 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

It’s just expensive. You’re managing 16 voice actors just for the English playable characters — 48 for all three dubbed languages supported. 

on top of this, every playable character line of dialogue has at least two options (usually three), meaning that you also need to record several variations of most NPC lines of dialogue. 

There’s a reason virtually no MMO fully voices all their quests and an even greater reason said quests don’t have branching dialogue. 

Again, we have no clue what the terms of this deal look like, but Broadsword as it currently exists is in no way able to support that sort of development. Their Ultima Online team has six whole people. 

IMO this was one of the defining aspects of SWTOR... while costly it also proved to be one that provided a more personal connection (of sorts) to the game.  From that standpoint I personally believe that is why to this day so many people still have that sort of a connection to SWTOR.  I know that there are other reasons .. this is just looking at the VA aspect.  IMO this is also why killing off the companions has had more of an impact ... (both good and bad simultaneously).

I personally also believe that this is one of the things that will gradually (if not abruptly) come to an end.  REASON ...  $$$$$$$  pure and simple.  If nothing else we can only conclude that SWTOR is on life support at best.  Once the transition is completed there will be even less resources available.  As harsh as that sounds it does appear to be the case.

Yes .. I am going to see just what WILL ACTUALLY happen.  This is one case where I wish I were completely wrong.  But for now ..  to quote Han:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-0JlpH8R80

10 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

IMO this was one of the defining aspects of SWTOR... while costly it also proved to be one that provided a more personal connection (of sorts) to the game.  From that standpoint I personally believe that is why to this day so many people still have that sort of a connection to SWTOR.  I know that there are other reasons .. this is just looking at the VA aspect.  IMO this is also why killing off the companions has had more of an impact ... (both good and bad simultaneously).

I personally also believe that this is one of the things that will gradually (if not abruptly) come to an end.  REASON ...  $$$$$$$  pure and simple.  If nothing else we can only conclude that SWTOR is on life support at best.  Once the transition is completed there will be even less resources available.  As harsh as that sounds it does appear to be the case.

Yes .. I am going to see just what WILL ACTUALLY happen.  This is one case where I wish I were completely wrong.  But for now ..  to quote Han:

I don’t disagree. It makes the game unique; it also more than likely holds back every other aspect of the game’s development. 

11 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

I don’t disagree. It makes the game unique; it also more than likely holds back every other aspect of the game’s development. 

It shouldn't  ... BUT probably does!

If there wasn't so much greed at the top of the food chain ... it probably wouldn't.  And SWTOR would not be where it is now!

BUT .. with alllllll that cash flowing in ... just look at all that cheddar!!!

Ummmmmmm  !!!

You can pretty much figure out where things went from there!

53 minutes ago, meddani said:

They seem to always get the best voice actors for the primary language and then kinda do whatever for additional languages.  Anime, as an example, often misses the mark when going from Japanese to English.  I loathe reading subtitles, but the original voices often have much more soul when delivering the lines.  It's almost as though they care more about the story and the rest turn in a perfunctory performance at best.  Not always, but this is the rule as I have observed. 

58 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

But expect more micro transactions and expect little to no updates. 

I guess I was asking what type of additional microtransactions.

BW ran the CM generally well, keeping it to basically only cosmetic items, as long as you were a subscriber.

I understand it would be speculation...

3 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

It is possible they can do like FFXIV does.  We have some cut-scenes in our story that are voiced, but others that are texted.  The voice are nice but I understand the cost so maybe having some would be better than having none?

13 minutes ago, casirabit said:

It is possible they can do like FFXIV does.  We have some cut-scenes in our story that are voiced, but others that are texted.  The voice are nice but I understand the cost so maybe having some would be better than having none?

This is one of those areas where we knew that change was there to stay (may not have wanted to admit it ..) but nonetheless VA stuff was gradually diminishing.   I will always maintain that this aspect of the game was one of the benifits .. and it separated SWTOR from the rest.  IMO .. it still does.  

Spending money to make money is always a part of the equation.  Finding that balance to keep everyone happy is a lot more difficult than it looks.
** PvP groups frequently see zero benefit from a few opening paragraphs to set the stage for their new battle zones.
** Shareholders could care less as long as they get their quarterly profits.  CEO's watch all of it for about the same reason as the shareholders.
** A LOT of people just want to log in and play the game.  Either it's fun and holds their attention .. OR it doesn't.
** Since this is Star Wars (which is primarily one big story driven saga to begin with) ... that almost automatically implies a degree of storytelling inside of the context of a MMO game setting.  

Ahhhh yes.. for the days of a simpler equation to balance!  That has always been the trick to keeping SWTOR going.  And I would suppose that if there ever is another Star Wars based game it will no doubt be faced with some of the same challenges that this team has faced over the years.

Playing armchair quarterback (so-to-speak) is one thing.  Delivering the goods .. AH !  that is quite another.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, casirabit said:

I don’t know if there’s really a way to go about that neatly. It breaks a lot of precedent. And I can’t imagine the outrage — I remember people being mad on the forums about the data pad sidequests in SOR, and then the KotOR-style stuff in KOTFE in your base. 

I wish they had just done the dialogue KotOR-style instead of mass effect. Alas. 

For now, I think the best approach is wait and see what happens, if anything.

We don't know much yet, except for that IGN post. I tend to take news like that with a pinch of salt, since things are not always what they seem to be.

Until we know more, we can only speculate, and with speculation there can often be wrong things said that some take as the truth.

Edited by Otowi
Corrected a minor typo.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Otowi said:

For now, I think the best approach is wait and see what happens, if anything.

We don't know much yet, except for that IGN post. I tend to take news like that with a pinch of salt, since things are not always what they seem to be.

Until we know more, we can only speculate, and with speculation there can often be wrong things said that some take as the truth.

I don't know.

My enthusiasm for this game has dropped like an anvil into a lake.

I want to log in to keep grinding out GS4, and short term, that's ok.

But beyond that....I mean out of literally HUNDREDS of toons across 5 servers and 2 accounts, I'm only "up to date" as far as story goes on a single toon.

I'm "shopping" for a new MMO...there just aren't any out there that I'm interested in.

and so --- it goes ....

I had a feeling all last year that 2023 was going to be one of "those years" for my beloved game --

didn't want the flames I would get if I had said it last year, so I was quiet; and now some of us are in a severe case of 

denial -- it's ok, it will be alright ...   

I have LOTS of content still to play -- I have only gotten Malgus captured on 2 of my characters  -- and apparently,

it's a good thing -- more "fresh" content for me (I'll wait for the dust to settle and we are firmly in the hands of 

Broadsword, before I do any more) .....  

I've only got 1 character all the way through (except for the Relic Hunt missions - abandoned those because it's set in the heroic area and constantly dying is not fun, even with 336 gear).  Most of my level 80s are at the "Speak to Shae Vizla in the hangar on Odessen" point.

5 hours ago, Sappharan said:

I loathe reading subtitles, but the original voices often have much more soul when delivering the lines. 

it's easier to deal with incessant whining in a foreign language (japanese) than a native language (english). another contributor is the fact that in english, I can hear that I'm listening to a 30- or 40-year old try to voice a child whereas I couldn't tell you if the japanese voice actor is 10 or 80...particularly with females. lastly, all the screaming is less annoying in a foreign language (more like white noise).

unfortunately, you have to be completely focused on the screen to consume a movie/show with subs. that bothers me as a completionist, but so much of the stuff I pick up is so mediocre that I cannot give it a full 12 or 24 eps if I need to consume via subs. #1stworldproblems

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krackcommando said:

it's easier to deal with incessant whining in a foreign language (japanese) than a native language (english). another contributor is the fact that in english, I can hear that I'm listening to a 30- or 40-year old try to voice a child whereas I couldn't tell you if the japanese voice actor is 10 or 80...particularly with females. lastly, all the screaming is less annoying in a foreign language (more like white noise).

unfortunately, you have to be completely focused on the screen to consume a movie/show with subs. that bothers me as a completionist, but so much of the stuff I pick up is so mediocre that I cannot give it a full 12 or 24 eps if I need to consume via subs. #1stworldproblems

Bro what

• Like 1