Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Revert to 6.0 Gearing

Drendal

41 minutes ago, kirorx said:

Gear boxes give replace your lowest piece, but isnt my lowest piece going to be the "set bonus" implant since they are one level below max level atm. 

that was fixed last Year

https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/12202022/game-update-7.2a

• The following crates no longer reward Implants:
    • Elite Decurion Upgrade Cache
    • Supreme Decurion Upgrade Cache
    • Rakata Upgrade Cache
    • Tionese Upgrade Cache
    • Columni Upgrade Cache
    • Thyrsian Upgrade Cache

I dont hate that the current content does promote people doing more WBs and stuff, but since Relics are a Pain to upgrade, maybe we can decrease the DRM needs for those or something

they already drop from the easiest Boss in R4 and will automatically drop from Weekly Quest Boxes because every thing else will be higher iLVL the rng of what you'll get from Boxes is an Issue, but since there are non-rng ways to get Relics that aren't especially difficult it's fine.

4 hours ago, Lakemine said:

Honestly the 6.x was the best gearing system

I mean yea, all it needed was a auto disintegrate list to not fill the Inventory after killing 3 Bosses and a Legacy wide search feature to find where you put what pieces. also something to not be at the mercy of rng for Setbonuses.

currently I have Gear for any spec I'd ever consider playing + some extras, just by playing, whereas in 6.3 I would have to deal with the torture of searching thousends of trash items to build those Gear sets.

the only 2 issues of the 7.3 Gearing System, that I see are the lack of Mods at 340 and that Tanks need entirely separate gear from DPS/Heal. The game needs to encourage players to want to play Tank. the auto disintegrate list & Legacy Search would improve the Game but with Loadouts these Features aren't neccecary like they were in 6.x. 

so while 6.x gearing up was the best, it is better now than how it was then, people are just hung up over how it was in between.

While BW's initial implementation of the 7.0 gearing was lacking, this system was probably their healthiest structure they have done for gearing in quite a while. The baseline gearing model is pretty close to how it has been structured for the top dog of the market, FFXIV. People forget that every other fundamental gear change BW has implemented have all been awful with incremental improvements just like is currently happening.

The fact that 6.0 gearing's optimal plan was to grind Hammer Station until you have max gear was fundamentally broken as offering less rewards for more difficult content is the antithesis of healthy game design.

21 hours ago, kirorx said:

Side Bar: The devs want to make credit sinks like quick travel bills, but the biggest credit sink ever was amplifiers and I loved them, because I customizing my characters stats. I wouldn't mind seeing those again. 

Amplifiers were fine when different classes had different set of gear. Now we need to share one set of gear with all characters. Different classes used different amplifiers in 6.0, they wouldn't be very useful with shared gear that we have in 7.0. 

I'd also love to customize my stats, but we don't need amplifiers for that. Moddable gear would do the same.

If we go back, it should be the 3.0 Gear system.

Whatever you do, you gain a currency that you can buy non-set gear from vendors. And the new operations are giving you tokens you can exchange for set pieces. That's nice and easy to understand.

• Like 1

Sorry, but for end game players 6.0 was the worst gearing system.

In 6.0 I had 4 gear sets for one class (legacy nim, new nim, pvp, flashpoints) now I have one.

And I only have to change tacticals or skills points for the content.

Also did you forget that in 6.0 everybody only played Hammer station to get the best gear?

Wow really the best gearing system /s

Sorry but 7.0 is soo much better in terms of simplicity and alt friendlyness.

5 hours ago, Ahwassa said:

In 6.0 I had 4 gear sets for one class (legacy nim, new nim, pvp, flashpoints) now I have one.

Also did you forget that in 6.0 everybody only played Hammer station to get the best gear?

I do agree with you fully. I hated having for me 3 sets of gear for content for one class. I only had them for Legacy NiM, Legacy (other), and one for uncapped content. Now I have 1 set of gear for each role. (most of the classes I play use basically the same stats, so no need to have one with higher alac then others.

Something you also need to remember is most people considered any random 306 gear to be BiS, they didn't actually look at the stats on the armorings, mods, or enhancements to realize they were using garbage gear with horrible stats.

Another thing to consider is many on these forums were happy only having to run HS for that gear. I'm not one of them, and I like how better gear drops from more Difficult content. With that being said I do think BW did the smart thing and created the Hyde/Zeek quests, those have been really good for the gearing system.

7 hours ago, Ahwassa said:

You only needed that many sets because they didn't raise all endgame content to level 80.  It wasn't the gearing system that was the problem.  (well, that and the amplifiers, but that's another reason for multiple sets that's not actually due to the gearing system.)

Also:  Everybody DID NOT  play hammer for the best gear.  No more than everybody in 7.0 spammed NiM Nefra for best gear.

6.0 you could gear by doing whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted.  That was 6.0's strength. 

7.0 they added so many restrictions to how and when you play (daily/weekly resets, rotation operation weeklies, gear silos, rewards for fp only if you use group-finder with no filter) that it's considerably less fun for me and a lot of other players.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Exocor said:

Whatever you do, you gain a currency that you can buy non-set gear from vendors. And the new operations are giving you tokens you can exchange for set pieces. That's nice and easy to understand.

Hopefully the days of "good set bonus gear only for raiders" are gone forever.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:16 PM, Dewlmenow said:

While BW's initial implementation of the 7.0 gearing was lacking, this system was probably their healthiest structure they have done for gearing in quite a while. The baseline gearing model is pretty close to how it has been structured for the top dog of the market, FFXIV. People forget that every other fundamental gear change BW has implemented have all been awful with incremental improvements just like is currently happening.

The fact that 6.0 gearing's optimal plan was to grind Hammer Station until you have max gear was fundamentally broken as offering less rewards for more difficult content is the antithesis of healthy game design.

7.0 gearing isn't anywhere close to FFXIV gearing - way more currencies, caps, and grinding, not to mention NO crafted items.

Also, one can still spam Hammer Station (or solo RR) to near max gear (the only exception being 340 / R4). 

I didn't care for 6.0's gearing, but it was less convoluted than 7.0's gearing (paradoxically, optimizing 6.0 gear was much more convoluted than 7.0).

I'd prefer a return to a system where gear dropped (or gear tokens) from content at a reasonable rate, with harder content rewarding higher rating / better itemization, supplemented with currency earned from all activities (daily / weekly missions) without annoying caps (harder activities awarding more / better currency) and crafting having the ability to craft items close to BiS.  

Edited by DawnAskham
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, MortenJessen said:

I still say go back to 1.0 era gearing system. 2 lines, pvp and pve, easy progress, each line had 3 tiers of gear. Easy.

The launch 1.0 versions of gearing were pretty bad, with lots of different currencies, fixed stat / fixed class drops, RNG bags, lack of crafted items, etc, and very little gear progress outside of operations.

By the end of 1.0 days though it was pretty good (e.g. around when Black Hole and TfB were added), with similar gearing existing for 2.0, 3.0, and even 4.0.

It was only with the silly RNG boxes in 5.0 (Galatic Command) that gearing started becoming more of a grind for grind's sake.

Edited by DawnAskham

1 hour ago, DawnAskham said:

The launch 1.0 versions of gearing were pretty bad, with lots of different currencies, fixed stat / fixed class drops, RNG bags, lack of crafted items, etc, and very little gear progress outside of operations.

By the end of 1.0 days though it was pretty good (e.g. around when Black Hole and TfB were added), with similar gearing existing for 2.0, 3.0, and even 4.0.

It was only with the silly RNG boxes in 5.0 (Galatic Command) that gearing started becoming more of a grind for grind's sake.

Yes, as I understand it launch was very similar to what it is now, minus Hyde/Zeek. Even the names are similar, like Rakata and Columi. I was still able to buy Columi gear by late 2.0, mainly by accident because I had no idea how gearing worked post-50 and there was no in-game information. Again, just like gearing today. 

4 hours ago, DawnAskham said:

Your forgetting that Columni gear dropped in MM FP's on the last boss. And each FP had a fixed drop for the slot. However it was random on if it was for your class or not. Rakata dropped only from HM EV/KP (when it came out), and when Lost Island was introduced it dropped the Rakata chestpiece on the last boss

Edited by Toraak

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.