The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can no longer see server ping

Traceguy

I play with the old, better and more advanced mini map. It has a signal strength depicted by bars, and if you move your mouse over it, it should show the server ping response in ms.

Well, it did until 7.2.1. Now you can't see anything when you mouse over it. 

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Can you please tell me where you do this as I can find it in the game.

In the interface editor.  You can customize the icons that appear on utility bars 1 and 2.  In a default layout, utility bar 1 is the bar in the upper left corner and is the one that the abominable waste of space that is the social window is attached to.  Utility bar 2 is in the lower right corner.  Both can be customized with up to 16 icons.

8 minutes ago, ceryxp said:

In the interface editor.  You can customize the icons that appear on utility bars 1 and 2.  In a default layout, utility bar 1 is the bar in the upper left corner and is the one that the abominable waste of space that is the social window is attached to.  Utility bar 2 is in the lower right corner.  Both can be customized with up to 16 icons.

I use them as task bars. How do you add the ping meter too it if they are being used for task bars? Also preferred status is missing a task bar, which means I need them all now. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

4 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I use them as task bars. How do you add the ping meter too it if they are being used for task bars?

Do you mean the quickbars where you put your abilities?  I am talking about the utility bars.  There are two.  When you go into the interface editor and click on one of the utility bars you can select different icons to put into the slots.  Here is a screen shot from my own interface where I have the ping and clock in slots one and two.

How the utility bar looks in game - https://i.imgur.com/eWsboHV.png

How it looks in the interface editor - https://i.imgur.com/joRHlJk.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ceryxp said:

Do you mean the quickbars where you put your abilities?  I am talking about the utility bars.  There are two.  When you go into the interface editor and click on one of the utility bars you can select different icons to put into the slots.  Here is a screen shot from my own interface where I have the ping and clock in slots one and two.

Now I understand. Thanks for the info Ceryxp. I’ve never actually looked into what those did because I didn’t see any need. I didn’t even know they could be customised in that way. The only thing I’ve done with them is moved them or made them smaller. Guess there’s always something new to learn 😉

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:59 AM, klizilii said:

You can add the server lag to your utility bar and when you mouse over it on the utility bar it will show ping.  Might be a workaround for now.

Thank you, that works. It's not as pretty or easy to ready, but better than nothing. I fear Bioware will never fix this bug since they are probably angry that I continue to use the older mini map.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

I had the same issue. I just found a post saying uncheck compatability in swtor.exe and the launcher. I had checked my .exe but it turned out there was checked compatability on my launcher. As soon as I unchecked that the game started as it should. I hope it helps

On 4/1/2023 at 12:54 AM, Traceguy said:

Thank you, that works. It's not as pretty or easy to ready, but better than nothing. I fear Bioware will never fix this bug since they are probably angry that I continue to use the older mini map.

They are definitely not as good. 

It should be an easy fix for Devs to do on the mini map. All it requires is moving the hook for the pop up so it appears directly over the ping gauge or to the left or right of it again (like it used to be).

It feels like it was only moved a centimetre below the mini map by complete accident. Like maybe a stray drag & mouse click when a Dev was tired 🤷🏻‍♀️. They probably didn’t even notice. 

If their Dev hooks are anything like the other hooks we can use to move stuff in the UI, it shouldn’t take more than a minute to fix. We just need them to acknowledge it’s a bug & put it on the bug list to fix.

But the first hurdle is getting the @CommunityTeam to acknowledge our bug report & put it on the list. If they don’t do that, the Devs won’t even know it’s a problem. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• 1 month later...
  • Dev Post

Hi, 

We do read the bug reports that are posted here and reported in various spaces. I do want to reiterate this portion of the bug report sub-forum guidelines. "Please note that while we will be reading the reports here in this forum, we will not respond to every thread. Additionally, a developer response in a thread is not an indication of the significance, priority, severity of a bug, or a guarantee that the bug will be fixed." Please be mindful of this. 

That said, we have read this report and are aware of this issue. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

We do read the bug reports that are posted here and reported in various spaces. 

That said, we have read this report and are aware of this issue. 

Would it not be helpful though to update the "Known bugs" list so it doesn't feel like we're throwing darts in the dark?

Your known list looks like this

UI / Map

• The animated part of the Obsidian Squad flair appears as a black square. Thread.
  • The Magnify Cursor in the Map Window is inaccurate. Thread
  • The scoreboard at the end of Warzone shows Allies and Enemies even if only Allies or Enemies is selected. Thread.
  • The resource nodes filter is not active in the mini-map by default. Thread.
    • Players need to manually add the nodes filter back in the mini-map filters. 

•  

It appears to some of us that it's unknown.

I can also pull up threads from 2-10 years ago where someone reported a bug and it's still in the game.

Edited by Traceguy

The mouse over the bars still works, it's just the pop up is below the window and you can't see it. If you flip the mini-map vertical it shows. Also, you can add Ping to utility bar and it will show when hovering. Yes, the mini-map is bugged in default to the hover pop-up being out of sight, but it still works.  This makes it a low priority with workarounds. I'm still with you though that bugs are not well listed and people are frustrated with this and the lack of timely fixes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traceguy said:

Would it not be helpful though to update the "Known bugs" list so it doesn't feel like we're throwing darts in the dark?

Your known list looks like this

•  

It appears to some of us that it's unknown.

I can also pull up threads from 2-10 years ago where someone reported a bug and it's still in the game.

It is kind of mental that the known issues list has to be manually updated rather than having a system that auto-generates based upon issues that are in their bug tracker.

17 hours ago, ceryxp said:

It is kind of mental that the known issues list has to be manually updated rather than having a system that auto-generates based upon issues that are in their bug tracker.

I'm guessing the list would be excessively long, and maybe Bioware doesn't want the embarrassment  

19 hours ago, Saeten said:

The mouse over the bars still works, it's just the pop up is below the window and you can't see it. If you flip the mini-map vertical it shows. Also, you can add Ping to utility bar and it will show when hovering. Yes, the mini-map is bugged in default to the hover pop-up being out of sight, but it still works.  This makes it a low priority with workarounds. I'm still with you though that bugs are not well listed and people are frustrated with this and the lack of timely fixes.

Interesting. I might have to play around with the interface editor to see if I can find something that works. As I said before, the new server ping window is better than nothing, but it's much harder to read, and it doesn't have live updates, which I am fairly sure the old one did. It's just another thing that's "new, but worse"

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 11:47 AM, CommunityTeam said:

Hi folks, 

Thanks for the reports, our team is currently looking into the signal option tooltip bug. It was also added to the known issues list for visibility:

• UI/Map

• The signal option tooltip is displayed outside of the visible area if the the mini-map is positioned on the bottom side of the screen.

Hi there. It's been nearly 11 months since I reported this. Are they seriously still trying to fix a tooltip?

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the menu bar under the minimap and I see most of it, so I guess you won't see a thing with the minimap down the screen lol, never thought the display didn't automatically change from under the mouse to over it when near the bottom of the screen, should have known though, it's swtor after all...

The very bottom of the screen (also potential temporary workaround) :

44pm[1].png

Edited by GuigeekRhadamant

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 3:05 AM, GuigeekRhadamant said:

I have the menu bar under the minimap and I see most of it, so I guess you won't see a thing with the minimap down the screen lol, never thought the display didn't automatically change from under the mouse to over it when near the bottom of the screen, should have known though, it's swtor after all...

The very bottom of the screen (also potential temporary workaround) :

44pm[1].png

Yes, that's sort of the only solution I've been using so far. (Moving the map further up)

Is there a reason this was removed from the known issue list without ever being fixed? This should have, and could have been fixed if Broadsword spent less time patching the Athiss ledge shortcut.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had hoped with the release of 7.4.1 addressing tool tips would solve this, but nope. The ping tooltip is still dropping out of screen space when the map is in the bottom right corner.

This was added to the known problem list for 7.2.1, but was then silently removed and swept under the rug. @JackieKo please add this to the known bug list for 7.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 9:52 AM, ceryxp said:

Hey, like Trixxie, I do appreciate you showing us this. I've missed having it too.