Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Testing 64-bit on the PTS!

JackieKo

Did short test out today and week ago.

Had no problems logging in, Had to play solo as no one was arround :) 

Did do heroic and couldn't detect any issues.

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor  Windows 10 
Graphic card    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 3gb

Edited by de_Ritter

Well, tried this again with the update and once again only a blank server list. The issue clearly hasn't been fixed. I have eliminated everything except for the PTS software and the specific server it connects to.

The existing computer (64-bit architecture and 64-bit operating system along with high speed fiber optic internet) has no problem running other "new" (within the last 3-6 months) 64-bit software or connecting to cloud (including other AWS servers). Turning the firewall and antivirus off do not make a difference so there is no blockage of any component going on at the PC. That pretty much leaves the PTS software itself and the server the PTS connects to as the only remaining unknowns.

This continues to be a problem for quite a few people based on posts in this thread and it is disappointing that there has been no comment by Bioware on a problem that will cause people to leave the game once the new 64-bit version drops (I can't think of anyone that would replace a perfectly functional computer just to play one game). If this is an unfixable issue it would be nice if Bioware would state that so people with the issue can migrate away from the game rather than just having it end suddenly (potentially losing months of sub time that was paid for in advance).

Edited by DWho
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, DWho said:

Well, tried this again with the update and once again only a blank server list.

well that sucks

still got what looks like 2 hours to go to check myself, but really why are we testing new content, when a portion of the players can't play. And that's just those that do test or even post on the forums

ETA: still no server for me

Edited by Achnaattwo
updated info
  • Like 1

@JackieKo, we *really* need some info about this.  I'm starting to get nervous.  I've been trying to log into PTS since it opened with the 64-bit client and *still* have a blank server list.  I'm getting seriously worried that this update will roll out and I'll just not be able to play at *all*.  We *seriously* need an update from the devs as to what could be causing this and how to resolve it.  Some of us won't even have a *chance* to try to get the fancy "help us out on the PTS" mount since we can't even *pick a server*!

Hello just giving my 2 cents here.

This seems really good for people running AMD low GHz multhread processors. I'm new to the game been playing close to 2 months now and both in 16m ops and pvp had some pretty bad frame issues while game was using only about 5% of my CPU and 30/40% of my GPU tried out PTS today and game is now using 10/15% of my CPU, 80/90% of my GPU and about 3 gb of ram, while on ultra setting and spinning in diferent zones and getting 120/150 fps, also lowering settings actually improves my performance (did nothing before) still gotta test it in group content but i feel optimistic.

My set up is as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x (3.8 GHz 12-core)
RAM: 16 gb 2133 MHz
GPU: GTX 1060 6 gb
Hard Drive: Some regular SSD

6 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

And the route the connections take from your PC to the PTS.  Unless you've carefully mapped that out with e.g. Pingplotter or even the humble traceroute.

Except for the first jump (my house to the local node), they differ from day to day so yes I have checked out the path. The path to the PTS is the same for one of the other cloud server platforms I use (when checked on the same day) except for the last jump to the final server. That was why I discounted the internet connection.

Edited by DWho

Very disappointing--I just tried to log into the PTS to participate in the PVP test, and I also got the blank server list.

CPU: Intel i7-6700, 4 cores, 8 logical processors
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Edited to add: Many thanks to the very helpful people who suggested turning off Compatibility Mode. That fixed the problem for me:

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/927620-did-the-latest-up-date-fixed-the-no-sever/?do=findComment&comment=9742685

Edited by Hudlar
Problem solved!

On 12/20/2022 at 9:15 PM, JackieKo said:

Did you experience a crash? If so, please provide:

• System specs - processor, video card, OS version
  • What were you doing before the crash happened?
  • Please provide a DxDiag report and send it to support@swtor.com with the subject line 64-Bit PTS Testing

[QUOTE]

To transfer your character the Public Test Server, follow these instructions:

1. Log into http://www.swtor.com.
  2. Click on your account name in the top right hand corner of the site.
  3. Click “My Account.”
  4. In the left column, scroll down and click the link entitled “PTS Character Copy.”
  5. Select the server and then the character that you wish to copy from.
  6. Click the “Copy Character” button.
  7. The site will display the current status of your character copy at the top of the page. Additionally, you can click the “View your character transfer history” link to see if the copy has completed.

To access the Public Test Server:

1. Log in to the Star Wars: The Old Republic launcher using your username and password.
  2. Click the Settings button (gear) in the bottom left corner of the launcher
  3. Under “Enable Public Test Server Access”, select “Yes”
  4. Click “Save”
  5. Now the bottom left corner will have two buttons: select the new button next to settings
  6. Under "Pick an Environment" select "Public Test"
  7. Click "Next" and you will begin patching on the Public Test Server*
  8. Click "Play"

[/QUOTE]

Source: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/868200-getting-started-on-the-pts/

Copy Character transfer was fine. Install PTS without problems. But after i click "Play", nothing happens.

I can't provide DxDiag report. The homepage (https://help.ea.com)always sets the language to russian. But I can't speak Russian.

Does anyone have an idea about my problem?

Edit: I use the normal version. No Steam.

Edited by SchnellesWiesel

47 minutes ago, SchnellesWiesel said:

I can't provide DxDiag report. The homepage (https://help.ea.com)always sets the language to russian. But I can't speak Russian.

The URL from the dxdiag instructions link should say https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/ in your browser - if you follow it and it changes to russian, try to manually change the bit after ea.com to en instead of ru. There should also be a regional dropdown in the upper right of the webpage for localization.

Edited by Crystal_Mind

@Crystal_Mind: Thanks. At Startpage i can change the language now. At dxdiag-page i can only change to german the others languages are always russian. Weird. But now, i can make a DxDiag report. I can't join the test server to get the mount, but I might be able to support the team with my mail.

Edit: Now, I can play on PTS. Thanks to Chryptyk.

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/927644-pts-not-loading-fix-by-installing-direct-x-9/

Edited by SchnellesWiesel

Tested for several hours today, includiing pvp warzones, visiting various planets, and even a couple operations. In open world exploration, I found no bugs aside from the known issue of trees being invisible. On Onderon, performance was roughly the same as I experience on live, with about 120 fps out of combat in the jungle at 4k ultra settings on a 3080ti 12900KS Win10 system. In combat, fps frequently dropped to around 30-60fps, which again is about the same performance as live.

The only notable difference from live for me was in Eternity Vault, where the rocks in the Gharj fight (both leading to the boss from the entrance and between floating islands) were completely invisible. Link to VOD here at 4h 47m

Additionally, the falling platforms in Soa's room were completely invisible. Same VOD at 5h 3m

We also tested the platforms in the Tyrans fight in Dread Palace, but it appeared to be working correctly.

I never got past the splash screen after login.  I sent a dxdiag to support as requested but got back they only work on the live server and not the PTS.  I am loading it on another laptop to see what I get there.  Let me know what I did wrong.

Unfortunately I can't get in to the PTS. I am a subscriber. I use the SWTOR launcher. I am accessing the PTS from the SWTOR launcher correctly. I got in on my first try on Thursday night. I created a new character. I then went to swtor.com to do a character copy. I was booted offline because a character copy was taking place.  Since then I was never able to log back in. I get past the launcher and see the PTS server and it says I have 2 characters. However when I try to join the server I get an error that says I can't access my characters due to maintenance. 

I feel that it's possibly stuck in the middle of a character copy.

Jackie, this is Rylaar from Eksys_ 's Twitch stream. Is there any update on this?

Thank you. I would really love to log in and get a PVP match and claim the Opal Vulptilla mount. 😃

Edited by Rylaar

4 hours ago, vastolis said:

Still haven't been able to log in. Server list blank. Disappointing

did you try this yet ?

I had the same issue, but I was able to fix it by turning compatibility mode off for both executables as suggested by a few other posts in the Testing 64 bit thread. Go to the SWTOR directory (for me that was Windows (C:)/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars - The Old Republic), right click on launcher.exe, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and make sure the compatibility mode box is unchecked. Do the same check for the PTS launcher, which is at Star Wars - The Old Republic/publictest/retailclient/swtor.exe. Once my two launchers had the same compatibility settings, the PTS showed up in my server select screen.

I just tested a PVP Warzone as well as running around a bit mostly in Manaan (Invasion Zone), Republic Fleet and Tython (a few CPU/GPU heavy spots there...) here on the PTS, and everything runs a lot better, with the thermal challenges to my gaming laptop for the most part being considerably reduced compared to the 32-bit client, and that on maxed out graphics (where as on the 32-bit client I run with a few things reduced due to the larger thermal challenges).

I encountered no bugs or problems, aside from the "known issues" already presented (and no login problems at all). So my verdict thus far is that this early 64-bit client is already a big improvement over the existing 32-bit client. Good job thus far on this!

The system I tested this on is an ASUS ROG Strix G733ZX.

Specifications:

CPU - i9-12900H

GPU - RTX 3080 Ti 16GB RAM

RAM - 32 GB

HDD - M.2 NVMe from SAMSUNG

Edited by YanYama

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Nvidia RTX 3060 TI
Windows 10 Home / 64 Bit

Overall a very good experience. 

No crashes, but on one login I experienced a black screen and no way to fix without restarting the game. Some planet load screens were very long, like Makeb and Rishi. Tooltip tied to mouse pointer does not work for me. It kept resetting to a location. As mentioned above, Eternity Vault has issues with invisible platforms in Gharj's and Soa's rooms. 

Please add a setting to skip asking if you want to pay to quick travel to a location. 

I downloaded the 64-bit PTS on a Surface 4 laptop with an i7 and16 GB,  Took almost 24 hours over wifi to download 42 GB update.  Once completed, the new PTS will not start.  The Play button shows its ready, but when I click it just goes grey and does nothing.  Regular mode works fine.

update:  used tip to install missing Dirextx 9 drivers.  This worked once.  On subsequent login attempts it kept searching for updates again and eventually stopped with Launcher error 961.  No help on what or why this occured.

Carba

Edited by Carba
updated info

Tested this on a Manjaro Linux system using the default Proton compatibility layer that Steam offers.

Worked normally.  No crashes.  No issues.

Distro: Manjaro Linux
Kernel: 6.0.19-3-MANJARO
arch: x86_64 bits: 64

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
Graphics: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB]
driver: nvidia
v: 525.85.05

Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.6 driver: N/A resolution: 2560x1440

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.