Why is 340 gear for the select few elite

LEEscoundral

13 hours ago, ZUHFB said:

I do not think this "discussion" if you can even use that word WITH quotation marks still, will not come to a conclusion unless of course @DeannaVoyagercomes up with a good solution I can agree with. I don't think it's his job, but neither is it mine - the difference is that I'm happy with the system and apparently, he isn't. So unless there is a solution that follows these points:

1. Not nefra farm
2. 15k DPS players should not be able to get to BiS
3. progression raiders should be able to get to BiS

Whether you and I agree or not, doesn't make any difference to what the devs decide to do. Nothing the playerbase says goes through, most of the feedback we give is being ignored. 

If a possible Nefra farm is a problem for you, they could just add enrage timer on it. I couldn't care less, because those 15k dps would need two competent tanks and healers for it, and the competent ones usually dodge pugs. When Nefra farm was going on, I could have done it all day, every day with all my alts, but I chose to do it only with people I know. The only time someone lured me into tanking it with them in a pug group was a mistake I still regret. It was horrible. 

I also don't think 15k dps should get BiS gear, but it's something I'm willing to accept if that's what it takes to get progression raiders geared up. 

3 hours ago, ZUHFB said:

Yes and no, this is the misunderstanding I was trying to solve earlier. What I'm saying is that MY dps is higher if the team is worse, has less gear, dies or whatever. A boss like IP-CPT is from the very definition easy since the way to do damage is to cut one hand of your team, but not from yourself. Your point is that the groups DPS will still be around the same, my point is that MY DPS isn't. And because this works and the way to get a great parse is to 7 man it the boss CANNOT be hard.

I do find the psychologic aspects of HM or NiM progression raiding very interesting anyway, the mindset of these people completely contradicts itself. One the one hand they don't learn their class, damage typing, precasts, timings, poisitioning and on the other hand they try everything but the obvious solution to fix their problems. Exactly like a runner that can only run for 15 minutes and thinks his shoes are holding him back from running a marathon.

I guess it's better for personal dps to have better gear, while the group has worse gear sure. But that's meaningless number farming. Everyone having better gear does make it easier, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. By how much is arguable, but getting better gear doesn't lead to lower dps as you earlier claimed (even indivual dps, as if everyone's gear goes up roughly equally dps will be divided roughly equally, but from a bigger total). 

I'm not saying better gear would make everything better, or even that better gear should be easier obtainable (for me personally this gearing system works just fine). But the claim that better gear leads to lower dps on discoball, is silly and incorrect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeannaVoyager said:

I am getting the gear, so that was a miss. My dps gear rating is 336 and tank 335.

To me this is a contradiction. 

If BW keeps locking majority of the playerbase out from gear progression, those people will quit the game and give their money to a game company that doesn't treat them like second class citizens. 

Like who? WoW? FFXIV? Oh wait! Both games have the similar gearing concept, that is quite unfortunate. 

55 minutes ago, AdjeYo said:

I'm not saying better gear would make everything better, or even that better gear should be easier obtainable (for me personally this gearing system works just fine). But the claim that better gear leads to lower dps on discoball, is silly and incorrect.

Sure like that works for me. But as a tank main, I don't get to DPS often enough to care about killing a boss or not, like who cares I just want my number to be up there and I'm a happy camper - boss dies anyway. 

I also don't think 15k dps should get BiS gear, but it's something I'm willing to accept if that's what it takes to get progression raiders geared up. 

OK: that's fine for me. I just happen to disagree, but that is fine for you too - at least I hope it is.

Now, can we finally let this thread die? 

26 minutes ago, DeannaVoyager said:

Of course it is - for you.  No surprise there that you don't know what's happening in the game, how people are gearing up and so on. It's the result of living in the elitist bubble.

Then I am at least happy that you agree on everything else! 

I am not a fan of elitist type players, but i do think it should be based on hard work, i mean if you can get the gear so easily no one will want to make an effort in operations or flashpoints.

In the end, people always go with the easier solution that has the least effort required, your post proves that, i think they should leave it as it is, the best gear is only really needed for the content the solo players wouldn't do anyway.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thought id bump this, people are spending literally months farming watchdog vet.. I cant believe this is the gear path best for the game?

I personally value my sanity and have pretty much avoided this all together.. But come on.. i do want competitive gear and enjoy competing on parse.. Ill defiantly be taking a hiatus from the game

Why bother to farm 340 gear, when it is not required or necessary for any type of activity, except ONE operation?

Can someone, regarding of class/discipline, do flashpoints, SM/HM operations, class stories, planetary ARCs, chapters in 330 irating gear? Yes.

Then what's the point in farming the same boss over and over again? Yes, first time you get a title, an achievement and possibly a decoration, but that's it. 

This "gearing path" requires way too many compromises and sacrifices and honestly is not worth the effort or the time. 

Edited by bluehufsa

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, bluehufsa said:

Why bother to farm 340 gear, when it is not required or necessary for any type of activity, except ONE operation?

Can someone, regarding of class/discipline, do flashpoints, SM/HM operations, class stories, planetary ARCs, chapters in 330 irating gear? Yes.

Then what's the point in farming the same boss over and over again? Yes, first time you get a title, an achievement and possibly a decoration, but that's it. 

This "gearing path" requires way too many compromises and sacrifices and honestly is not worth the effort or the time. 

Sure, and thats ok. But do you "deserve" same level of gear, which those who do take the gearing path get? As that is the main point of this thread, and i went through every page. 
People want to do nothing and get the exact same thing that someone who made a lot of sacrifices and effort did get, they even use their "medical condition" as the reason why they should get it.  I work in customer service, and the entitled people like that are the worst kind of people anyone can treat with. 

10 hours ago, yastruyastru said:

Sure, and thats ok. But do you "deserve" same level of gear, which those who do take the gearing path get? As that is the main point of this thread, and i went through every page. 
People want to do nothing and get the exact same thing that someone who made a lot of sacrifices and effort did get, they even use their "medical condition" as the reason why they should get it.  I work in customer service, and the entitled people like that are the worst kind of people anyone can treat with. 

Dear sir, I agree with you, altough there is one point that you are missing.

People are lazy by nature, and they want to do nothing yes. But this is not the main issue here. All of those people, who are whining about gearing changes have a certain right to do so. Why? Why would I tell such heresies?

Well that is because Bioware got them used to it. Onslaught has brought to this game the most devastating mechanic that exist in mmorpgs- bis for all! It was absolutely abnormal, pathological and unethical that I received the same pieces of gear running Nightmare opses as people running hammer station. When I was still raiding, and treating this game rather serious, it was beyond my belief, how anyone can allow this to function. Constant, shameless spamming of Toborro's Courtyard and Hammer Station to a point that some people new every pixel of those 2 instances.

Funniest thing was, everybody got bis gear, gold augments from win trading and they were still lacking 5k dps... Huehuehue

But now, when you have to actually apply yourself, or in gamer terms: Git Gud to aquire best gear it's suddenly a problem. It was the game that made them this way, adding to their lazy personalities.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gibonski said:

Well that is because Bioware got them used to it. Onslaught has brought to this game the most devastating mechanic that exist in mmorpgs

It's been far longer than that. Probably Bioware in 2013-2014 had a shift decided that story was the best the game had to offer and cater to casual players completely leaving everything else left to rot when they started working on KotFE. They thought the game as a story and without adding any end game would succeed but even the best single player story driven multiple choice have a steep decline weeks or a month after their release.

4.0 EV and KP nim was deleted, which was the perfect op for people to jump from hm to nim if hp of boses and damage they deal was tuned right, but they deleted it for what is in my eyes so they wouldn't get bis gear there and work a bit harder for it. But it had the weekly hm op that dropped nim gear, so it became EV and KP hm BiS, so pretty much free gear with extra steps and taking out more endgame from the game

5.0 early on i don't recall the gearing much because two expansions without new ops was enough for me, but think it was similar to 6.0 with everything dropping components and rng boxes with "the thrill of the hunt". Then i came back to check how dead the game was and to my surprise Gods was released which is probably the best thing they did for the game and the gearing if i recall correctly was mainly through weeklies in ossus and the crystals from hive queen? So pretty much free gear too

6.0, well everyone knows this. Some people try to defend 6.0 because the player count but they don't talk about, either by ignorance or trying to defend the type of game they want, that in 6.0 the whole world was in a pandemic and everyone was stuck in their home and games were the only "escape" from home.

From late 2015 to early 2022 they have been catering to casual and story players.
7.0 gearing was as awful as the previous ones though, trying to keep people busy with a boring grind fest. Gearing only became good when r4 came out and subsequently hyde and zeek was released.