7.0.1 Rotation Removal

ChrisSchmidt

Well, Chris, Keith, and company it appears that MassivelyOP's Tyler F.M. Edwards penned an article in The SoapBox: "SWTOR’s Legacy of the Sith is bad, but not for the reasons you’ve heard." Looks like your damage control failed and now the gaming press is starting to let the world know how bad this is. However, I guess y'all will ignore them as you ignored all your play testers. I wonder how this is going to be received by EA...bad press, nightmarish public relations...I wonder how much worse this can get for you folks.

Will say I find it curious how he brushes aside issues with the UI (doesn't even mention the eye problems some have) and the ability pruning (well, "gutted" may be a bit strong indeed, but an arrow to the knee it was for sure) and doesn't mention the insane amount of bugs at all. Or anything beyond story content, for that matter.

While obviously even good articles will always have some degree of subjectivity, this one smacked of "I can not see it, hence it does not exist".

Edited by JojoKasei

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Chris, Keith, and company it appears that MassivelyOP's Tyler F.M. Edwards penned an article in The SoapBox: "SWTOR’s Legacy of the Sith is bad, but not for the reasons you’ve heard." Looks like your damage control failed and now the gaming press is starting to let the world know how bad this is. However, I guess y'all will ignore them as you ignored all your play testers. I wonder how this is going to be received by EA...bad press, nightmarish public relations...I wonder how much worse this can get for you folks.

Could you mind explaining why anyone around here--player or Dev--should care about what Tyler F. M. Edwards thinks about anything? Who is he? He seems to be well known to you. Is he like the Stephen King of gaming or MMO journalism? SWTOR is the only MMO I play and all the other games I play are older FPS or military strategy games (really into Paradox's stuff for example).

Edwards even admits that he "has never been a big Star Wars fan." Looking through the SWTOR tag on this massively OP site reveals that he has only written two articles about SWTOR going back to April 15, 2019. Why should any of us--Dev or player--care about what an SW and SWTOR neophyte thinks about our game?

EDIT: Additionally, I am puzzled at how anyone could be dismissive of the "faction conflict," and have been really pulled into the game for the first time with KotFE. At its core, Star Wars is all about the faction conflict. There was also some yammering about seeing characters go through "personal struggles" yet he makes no mention of any origin stories that have "personal struggle" in spades: Agent, Inquisitor, Warrior, and Knight.

Edited by robwettengel

EDIT: Additionally, I am puzzled at how anyone could be dismissive of the "faction conflict," and have been really pulled into the game for the first time with KotFE. At its core, Star Wars is all about the faction conflict. There was also some yammering about seeing characters go through "personal struggles" yet he makes no mention of any origin stories that have "personal struggle" in spades: Agent, Inquisitor, Warrior, and Knight.

From a meta perspective, I get the problem about the faction conflict. Noone can win, otherwise the game's premise would be gone. It was handled very well in the planet- and class-stories, though. This writing talent is now lacking, seeing as instead of all stories happening in the same universe every character now inhabits their own timeline, which is way lazier than creating a setup that can be worked with either way and still makes sense afterwards.

The point about KotFE confused me as well, but that is personal taste, I guess. While I liked the cutscene quality and such of that part of the game, I disliked the chapter-structure (insofar as it actively discouraged playing with others) and the storyline itself (for me it fits as well to the rest of the game as the cube into the round hole), especially when it came to "oops, you'z in da future now and your crew is gone". [Cue wet fart noise].

I like to see this expansion get the drumming it deserves but that article is terrible why should anyone care?

I like to see this expansion get the drumming it deserves but that article is terrible why should anyone care?

I’ve seen 3 seperate gaming articles now and none of them paint 7.0 or the swtor Dev team in a good light. While some are better written than others, there is still a definite trend saying that 7.0 has a lot of problems and Bioware austin really dropped the ball.

What I have seen is a big uptick of brand new influencers and streamers on Twitter. People who I’ve never heard about before and some are just starting the game for the first time. It makes me question if Bioware are paying these people to promote positive views in light of all the bad social media and gaming media reviews. The timing of their appearance seems too coincidental with Keith’s posts and these new Twitter influencers.

It feels like Bioware are getting desperate and trying to plug a leaking ship. Which means things could be worse than we suspect. I’ve also seen that some swtor / Bioware staff have started to leave for other roles or other companies. Only a few at this point and I only know of ones who have announced new jobs on social media. I don’t know if that means anything or not. It’s just an observation.

Edited by Totemdancer

What I have seen is a big uptick of brand new influencers and streamers on Twitter. People who I’ve never heard about before and some are just starting the game for the first time. It makes me question if Bioware are paying these people to promote positive views in light of all the bad social media and gaming media reviews. The timing of their appearance seems too coincidental with Keith’s posts and these new Twitter influencers.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was an EA move. They just did a similar thing with the latest expansion for Sims 4 which flopped hard because it launched with so many game breaking bugs and suddenly streamers who had never played the sims before were getting sponsored streams to promote it but none of the normal Sims streamers and 'Game Changers' were getting anything.

Will say I find it curious how he brushes aside issues with the UI (doesn't even mention the eye problems some have) and the ability pruning (well, "gutted" may be a bit strong indeed, but an arrow to the knee it was for sure) and doesn't mention the insane amount of bugs at all. Or anything beyond story content, for that matter.

While obviously even good articles will always have some degree of subjectivity, this one smacked of "I can not see it, hence it does not exist".

While what you say is true, his point as I will tell Rob below targeted BioWare directly concerning their failure to live up to their status as a renown stories for their games. This is or was the strong selling point for all BioWare games. Not anymore. He called BioWare to the carpet (navy slang for reporting for an Captain's Mast (Article 15). And lambast them for the total failure of 7.0's "epic" story for it, including the previous 2.

Could you mind explaining why anyone around here--player or Dev--should care about what Tyler F. M. Edwards thinks about anything? Who is he?

This is not about the writer per se, it's the fact that he nailed BW on how bad their stories are from the last 3 updates. How BW was renown for their stories for their games. And now, they fail hard in even trying to do that. Lastly, IGN is not some small MMO/RPG/eSport online gaming magazine. It's a premier one. They have a rather strong reputation in the gaming industry. The fact that one of their writers penned this OpEd, is telling. That's the point. Bad press for BioWare and EA of course which is a strike against their "stellar" reputations. :rolleyes:

So much that is spot on. I welcome the response from somebody in the development arena though. There is so much about this update that was avoidable, and others have addressed a few of the big ones.

But one that deserves repeating: taking away items that people paid real world money for, that one is probably the most unbelievable on a long list of unbelievable.

I love this game, but right now, in the immortal words of Strother Martin: "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

I hope this thread is the beginning of the end of that.

PLEASE BRING BACK the colors in LEGACY window the GREEN for 100% complete and the orange for rest, all with same color is unacceptable for a game. Never seen such a bad decision in all my MMOs of 15 years of playing. Edited by Kissakias

I am very dismissive of SWTOR's faction conflict. He has a point - neither faction can really win or lose and no objective we complete can have large implications for the story because there are players' factions and neither can be for example destroyed or chased away from their homeworld.

Makeb faction conflict was much better - both factions competing over a resource held by a third faction.

Movie prequels faction conflict was even better - both factions were manipulated into a war and actually both were lead by the same mastermind.

"Go and capture \ destroy other faction's McGuffin" is the laziest way to tell such story. Even "united against common enemy" of Yavin is much better.

Edited by juliushorst

PLEASE BRING BACK the colors in LEGACY window the GREEN for 100% complete and the orange for rest, all with same color is unacceptable for a game. Never seen such a bad decision in all my MMOs of 15 years of playing.

I noticed that as well while looking for some achievements and I totally and absolutely agree, I really had to look close/twice to make out the numbers.

so +1

bring back the green for 100%, orange for started and white for not yet begun!!

please stop fixing what isn't broken

I noticed that as well while looking for some achievements and I totally and absolutely agree, I really had to look close/twice to make out the numbers.

so +1

bring back the green for 100%, orange for started and white for not yet begun!!

please stop fixing what isn't broken

I'm all for this. +1000!!!!

PLEASE BRING BACK the colors in LEGACY window the GREEN for 100% complete and the orange for rest, all with same color is unacceptable for a game. Never seen such a bad decision in all my MMOs of 15 years of playing.

Yeah I hate this change to the Legacy window. It used to be so easy to quickly see which achievement areas I'd maxed out, now I actually have to read the numbers as I'm scrolling down the massive list to find things. It's annoying.

Do you guys think this was intentional? I thought it was a bug because it makes no sense to remove the helpful color coding. In any case, I agree, we need the colors back.

Do you guys think this was intentional? I thought it was a bug because it makes no sense to remove the helpful color coding. In any case, I agree, we need the colors back.

since they dont fixing it in tomorrow 7.0.1. YES it was intentionally.

This brings us to our Featured Content vision. We intended to reward featured content over non-featured content in a more substantial way for a few reasons:

• To make groups easier to form for similar content, even when reward goals differ
  • To make it easier to get help from other players via shared tagging in heroics and dailies
  • To make Operations more accessible to players who've never tapped into Story Mode before, by adding more options each week in Group Finder.

Many aspects of a design like this are extremely difficult

Jesus seriously? This is the reason why you royally screwed over the entire playerbase?

Will someone at Bioware please go buy a copy of Final Fantasy XIV and go take a look at their group-finder and reward system that has kept even long time players using it so even brand new players can do all the content...I mean, its an OLD system...it actually is not that hard.

You have several reward systems. Veteran players with high IR get the highest reward from JOINING and get a bonus based on being in a group as a mentor(which places them in with new players). Players with mid tier IR get medium rewards for joining while players not at max level get normal rewards. This is for JOINING. There is no difference in the loot drops for whatever they joined.

You freaking create a new currency also, currency that comes from doing group finders and you make that WORTH GETTING. This is why FFXIV has grown every single year its been out instead of shrinking. You do NOT do what you did with 7.0 and basically punish everyone for doing what was flipping made and also by replacing it with something far WORSE...you guys havent even publicly talked about the GSF/PVP issues created by the horrible conquest changes you made to punish us. Yes, it was a punishment, not an improvement.

Jesus seriously? This is the reason why you royally screwed over the entire playerbase?

Will someone at Bioware please go buy a copy of Final Fantasy XIV and go take a look at their group-finder and reward system that has kept even long time players using it so even brand new players can do all the content...I mean, its an OLD system...it actually is not that hard.

please don't copy Abilities being unavailable in synced content, other than that yea, the only Problem I have with FFXIV groupfinder is the limitation to just one role when listing. (I have other Issues with FFXIV hence why I play SWTOR but their Groupfinder is really nice, it's just SWTOR 3.x Group Finder was basically perfect already. Kuat for fast pops everything else for Tank/Heal/DD, they should have just made the new FPs into tactical FPs for below their intended Level leaving the old ones alone and creating two fully fleshed out ques instead of removing one of them.)

for FFXIV Finder: I'd really like the ability to list for Heal & DPS + the ability to select one of the Jobs I have available for that Dungeon level to fill that Role when the que pops (I'd also need a quick way to judge if I not only have the Level but also the Gear, or the Ability to switch after entering).

just like what SWTOR had... and what could have been even better thanks to Combat Styles, if not for a really badly implemented copy of someone elses System.

I guess that happens when you only buy the copy instead of actually playing it, and if they should play a game for their Job, they should just play SWTOR, they would find plenty of things to improve and be able to tell real problems from Imaginary ones.

Edited by DarthSpekulatius

the only Problem I have with FFXIV groupfinder is the limitation to just one role when listing. (I have other Issues with FFXIV hence why I play SWTOR but their Groupfinder is really nice, it's just SWTOR 3.x Group Finder was basically perfect already.

Yes, it has a tiny flaw in only being able to select one role especially now that they allow you to level any job and all you would have to do is swap them to meet another role required by the group. I am also playing SWTOR instead of FFXIV for the moment, because its "star wars" and had fun. That is going to change quickly though because the current "vision" for this game removes all sense of fun.

As for SWTOR 3s group finder, it clearly was not perfect because it did not incentivize many people to use it. It needed a better reward system for using it.