Is SWTOR even a MMO?

The_Old_Empire

Everything feels so linear and feels as if its not open-world. Each zone you teleport to via your spaceship and each of the planets you are restricted for example there may be mountains covering around the planet and thats where it ends. Theres no sense of open world where if your at a planet you cant just ride there without having to have a stupid loading screen.

Its basically.. * Walk to Spaceship * * Click Planet * * Loading Screen * * Your now at the planet *. So its not really open world when everythings loading. Your gonna hate me even more saying this but World of Warcraft was always open world.

I could go from Darnassus to Stormwind by walking, flying without stupid loading screens. The only time you would get loading times if you went on a boat, or went into an instance. In this game it's a linear path you follow.

Whats up with that?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World of warcraft is one planet. With 2 continents. In Star Wars you have 17 planets. A planet can't be connected to another planet simply by walking. So would you prefer. The Old Republic: Tatooine Adventures. Where you spend 50 levels just on tatooine with it being 12 times its current size? Just so you can avoid loading screens and space ship rides.

It's definitely an MMO. I'm painfully aware that there are many around me. It's different from traditional MMO's in that when I'm told to slay the terror of the town, when I get there, I'm not watching 20 other people slay the same guy that supposedly no one has ever done.

Kind of a new take on immersion in an MMO. You should probably embrace it.

Everything feels so linear and feels as if its not open-world. Each zone you teleport to via your spaceship and each of the planets you are restricted for example there may be mountains covering around the planet and thats where it ends. Theres no sense of open world where if your at a planet you cant just ride there without having to have a stupid loading screen.

Its basically.. * Walk to Spaceship * * Click Planet * * Loading Screen * * Your now at the planet *. So its not really open world when everythings loading. Your gonna hate me even more saying this but World of Warcraft was always open world.

I could go from Darnassus to Stormwind by walking, flying without stupid loading screens. The only time you would get loading times if you went on a boat, or went into an instance. In this game it's a linear path you follow.

Whats up with that?

LOLwut?

I'm glad you're only MMO experience is with WoW and Load Screens are somehow a detriment to you. Yes this is an MMO. This is everything a Themepark MMO should be. Its a lot easier for WoW to be open world than it is Star Wars. Because we're talking Open Galaxy here. There is more real Estate in this game than the original Vanilla WoW. The only difference is there's a whole Galaxy to explore and we don't even have all the planets. Naboo isn't around yet, Kashyyyk, and not to mention they have a whole planet they can add in future content.

The "I want a single player game" people will be the end of this game in the long run. People who play single player games play and move on.

If this game is going to last for the long run it needs to appeal to the type of people who stay around and don't just move on to the next thing.

Planets, How would it be a Si-fi MMO without planets? If you add up all the space in this game it would be more than WoW I think. They had to break it up so they could call each a planet.

I think it's fairly obvious the 'map' in SWTOR is MUCH MUCH bigger than WoW.

You could fly to other planets just like a Gryphon? When you obtain your spaceship you should be able to fly in the Galaxy etc in my opinion. I understand there are Planets and WoW is one planet but surely they could of had a gryphon type thing which is 100% more faster obviously to fly you to that planet :D

Whats up with that?

Wait, what?

World of Warcraft is dominated by instanced content. Most of what people do, especially at end-game, involves zoning into some area.

It feels fine to me. I like the pacing of the Game and it has to be the way it is for the story to function like it does imo.... (which is to say amazingly well done). MMOs ultimately aren't about Questing and exploring anyway. Anyone who is from WoW, don't kid yourself, WoW has taught you to sit in Org/SW/Dal and wait on your queue. At least with these, people are getting out to do daily heroics and such.

In world of warcraft its a linear path you follow. Notice all the other people online running by you while you are out and about? It's an MMO.

Actually I don't notice very many people at all out while I'm questing, so that's the Massive idea gone, which destroys the MMO suggestion.

Linear progression can be found in MMOs, however a great MMO is open and sandbox in design. Unfortunately not a lot of people like to put the effort in to playing sandbox games, because they like to be safe and in sandbox games you typically have to risk something in order to be rewarded. Which means that a lot of big name companies will not make a game that only has a player base of 200-500k even if it could be profitable (not in the WoW scheme of profitable, but at least makes money).

SWTOR has very little risk vs reward, and a lot of linear story progression.

That's ok, hopefully they will listen to the PvP crowd and start developing a good guild utilities system where guilds can build their own cities etc. Then I will consider this an MMO.

Edited by Rhinoplat

You could fly to other planets just like a Gryphon? When you obtain your spaceship you should be able to fly in the Galaxy etc in my opinion. I understand there are Planets and WoW is one planet but surely they could of had a gryphon type thing which is 100% more faster obviously to fly you to that planet :D

Sorry for the double post, but No. The amount of Processing power that would take up would be Ungodly. They made a decision based on how to best portray the world and keep System Requirements down so more people can play (which lets face it, that's one reason WoW is so popular. a 486 could probably run it)

It's not really an MMO, it's an SPO

People will dislike this reasoning; but it's still true

I can do everything in TOR I can do in any other MMO.

I can craft for other people

I can join a group to do a Flashpoint or Raid

I can even invite friends to help me on my quest.

I just got back fro a RP event at the Dealers den there were about fifty of us.

To me that is a MMO just because I'm not sitting around Coruscant waiting for my Dungeon to pop doesn't mean it's not a MMO just because I don't have to Rush to 50 then Raid or Die doesn't mean it's not a MMO.

Your perception of what constitutes a MMO is just very Myopic.

Edited by Jett-Rinn