Character Creation Feedback Thread

JackieKo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you experiencing any difficulties or issues with Character Creation?

• As some other have mentioned, on initial load, weapons were invisible. Clicking around through several different options fixed it (I think it was species change that fixed it for me)
  • Weapons once again disappeared after changing Body type (looks intentional though, but maybe hide them immediately when entering Step 3?)
  • Zooming feels a bit finicky, rubber-banding back and forth (should zoom closer on the face, IMO).
    Update 21/12/12: After further testing, this only seems to happen on Republic characters for some arcane reason
  • Not sure if I am supposed to be able to pick a Discipline straight away? Or will I always be assigned the "middle" one?

I am playing on WQHD screen (2560x1440), it it helps in narrowing the issues with zooming in any way

How is the flow of using this feature?

• Generally good, feels very modern and sleek.
  • Could use a recap of what I have picked, like it is currently in Live (so in Customize screen, see the Faction/Class/Style)

Please provide any other general feedback you have in detail.

• Had a bit of a "huh?" moment when I could add bearded complexions on a female character, but I guess that is intentional to allow all kinds of people to express themselves?
  • Opening crawl missing is weird, I hope you are not considering discarding it
  • The style descriptions could use a bit of a fine tuning to make them sound more "universal". Feels weird when I get told about using heaviest armor as a smuggler with merc style (or maybe alter the preview armor according to the combat style, just like you do with weapons?)

Edited by Aries_cz

not sure if this was mentioned, but when you select shadow/assassin or sent/mara, the lightsaber overlaps with the white text, making it unreadable

also, infiltration/deception is marked as a ranged dps? O.o

a lot of the tech classes were holding invisible guns in the preview for me, until I selected another tech origin story, and then they appeared

the tooltip for species names are not connected to the button, but appear off the side

skin color is almost impossible to select (can only use the < button; because the options overlap with the zoom in/out and turn character buttons)

Edited by mwissie

skin color is almost impossible to select (can only use the < button; because the options overlap with the zoom in/out and turn character buttons)

+1 to this.

The zoom buttons overlap with the skin color slider on species/style combinations that have more customization categories. At the moment the only way to change skin color in those cases is to randomize everything, hoping the skin tone is farther right to the one you want, so you can use the < button to crawl back. Definitely a needed UI fix there.

Edited by Negivv

• Had a bit of a "huh?" moment when I could add bearded complexions on a female character, but I guess that is intentional to allow all kinds of people to express themselves?

I wondered about that, except there are still outfits locked by gender, so I don't think so. It's probably just a bug.

Not to mention, all the people begging for at least a few cybernetic implants and tattoos to be available on everyone would be really frustrated if suddenly they could have a beard and mustache, but still none of what they asked for.

Are you experiencing any difficulties or issues with Character Creation?

holy cow, guys I have to say this looks very slick and is a nice UI. The animation on faction select is perfect. Do not change it.

as far as issues go:

weapons don't always load

the plus minus button for zoom in/out has weird bouncy physics that make it hard to use.

I want to zoom in more. Eye color is hard to see.

How is the flow of using this feature?

I have no complaints, its a good system that just needs some fine tuning.

Please provide any other general feedback you have in detail.

5oclock shadow on females. Probably a bug but leave it and add some makeup femmness for the males. People should be able to play what they want.

Why with the dirty face complexions? Can we please just get rid of those. Or at least can I have some more for people who actually take a bath.

Cosmetics, I would like more -normal- make up without smeared flipping lipstick and eyeshadow everywhere.

TEXTURES! and I know that I am beating a dead horse here. I am not expecting a huge graphics overhaul ala GW2, but for the love of all things can you please update the textures for player characters!? It pleases me to see less static hair, but its still very much looking like a helmet. Even with lack of movement, fixing the hair textures would go a long way in making characters feel more alive. Also if you are going to do POC hair maybe... google search how to draw it, because dreads are not hair plugs and that new one LOOKS like hair plugs. :confused:

ANNNNNNNDDDDDD Rattataki/Twi'lek. Why do you hate them? These need more customization, they always have and it is super disappointing that none been added yet. Its also my main reason for not choosing these races more often.

I cannot access my CC unlocks for races. I would really like to test those too, so if you could possibly, please unlock the cartel races for us that would be awesome.

It seems each stage has numerous bugs so will post report as I use each screen.

Choosing origin and style.

- Interface is very modern BUT totally at odds with the style set for the game universe.

- Character lighting is bluish and stark, female characters with certain randomly selected complexions have ridiculous facial hair shadow from chin to base of neck.

- Characters are not wielding weapons when generator first opens, weapons only appear when you try selecting another combat style

- The narrative text displayed for combat style does not always match the selected style, especially if you reselect an origin.

- Combat styles are not consistently listed in the same order for each origin

- Opening preview for Operative is a dual wield of techblades not a single vibroknife and blaster. The blades are appearing and animating before the character appears.

- Opening preview of Powertech the flames and jet exhausts are appearing before the character.

- Opening preview of Gunslinger the muzzle flash and sound happen before the weapons are drawn.

- Opening preview of Scoundrel one or other of the weapons doesn't always display. Muzzle blast animation playing before character appears.

- Opening preview for Commando and Vanguard the lighting animations are happening before the character appears.

- Selecting a new origin causes a random selection of combat style rather than keeping the previously selected style which people may be interested in.

Let the players control which selections are displayed throughout the process DO NOT keep randomizing as they investigate options. Changing gender doesn't cause this problem.

- So if styles are no longer tied to origin then stop swapping the order of the style listing.

- Saber blades are appearing and animating before the character does for all origins and styles.

- Opening previews in general, the voice plays before the character appears.

NOTE: I do not have these animation and audio sync issues when playing the live game on the same machine.

Edited by Morten_Venisse
clarification

overall sleek nice design, good job.

here are some thoughts of what could be better (most points were mentioned by others but the more the merrier):

- lighting: instead of the blue'ish/red'ish light, make it brighter, more like "daylight"

- zoom and rotation is WAY better on live- so please don't change it to this wonky feeling thing

- we need to be able to zoom in much closer

- please make eyebrows a seperate option!

- while I can see the appeal in the black background, I like the hangar bay better, more immersive

- personally I would seperate origin from combat style. better to combine alignment & origin

Please give us more man bun hairstyles.

Please also consider adding environment previews how our character would look in different lightning.

And lastly please consider adding new faces and polishing old ones 🙏

Edited by MattPL

Customize screen:

- Zoom and rotation controls are placed too high and overlay sliders when number of sliders increases for race and gender choices e.g. male human.

This masks the majority of the slider making selection impossible.

- Click thru on slider side of interface defaults to rotation of character - VERY annoying, please disable it.

- The timeout kick to server selection is too quick as people are taking their time to craft their character looks. There should be NO time limit.

- Human Males have 63 complexions, Females have 56, so if you're making a distinction between genders why are you including complexions with facial hair shadow clearly giving females beards and moustaches? Especially when males have a separate Beard slider.:rak_confused:

You need to check for all races and be consistent within each.

- Zoom level does not allow easy viewing of eye colour.

- Feature slider locks persist if you reselect gender BUT the resulting settings are then randomized despite the lock. These settings don't return to what they were if you switch back to the gender they were locked in. Also the locks appear to be on listing position in UI NOT the named feature they were applied to so what was beards becomes cosmetics and tattoos and vice versa.

- You have cosmetics and tattoos as a merged feature for females but only tattoos for males. If you are going to allow facial hair in complexions regardless of gender (despite having different complexion collections) then it is INCONSISTENT to prevent males from having cosmetics. It makes more sense to remove facial hair from complexions for females and to separate cosmetics from tattoos and enable for both genders. Add stubble/facial hair shadow options to beards and enable (different) collections for each gender if you're going to permit them for females.

Your "sexist" decision making is inconsistent if you are trying to accommodate LGBTQI+ etc.

- Male head choices (Only have access to Human, Cyborg, Mirialan, Zabrak) you only have one "obviously" East Asian option (4 for humans) and all have "slitty" eyes, racial stereotyping that is not in place for females. FIX this.

You have multiple head choices for Afro male features.

If you want us to test the game WHY have you locked all the other races out?

EDIT: This post was originally another thread titled "Clowns, clowns everywhere!".

I predict this will happen at the starting zones of each character class because the character creator is so dark that colors are almost impossible to choose. Having to log out to delete and remake your character after seeing them in a "real" lighting situation is not fun at all.

Why is it so hard to make a character creator with neutral lighting? Is having the character creator look c00l more important than the players' enjoyment?

So an interesting suggestion. Star Trek Online costume creator has a button that you can swap lighting between various different planet's lighting. This allows you to see your character and costumes under different lighting conditions. That idea wouldn't be bad here. Umbra has very different lighting conditions than Korriban or Taris.

The female facial hair was some of the ugliest and immersion breaking things I've ever seen in a character creator.

I want to add onto this a bit.

Have you ever gone to a costume party and seen a female there wearing a male costume and to get the look of stubble, took a grease pencil and just kind of dirtied up their face? That's what some of these facial hairs look like. Some of them aren't bad, but some seriously look like they're costume pieces or grease pencil and not real facial hair.

Doing some more research, a lot of it has to do with the head you pick. The facial hair complexion doesn't always mesh right with the head, and it creates an ugly and immersion breaking costume, vs a "female character" with facial hair.

- I would also like to zoom in/out more than is currently enabled. Eye color is very hard to discern when two shades are close at the current distance for zoom.

- sliders default to turn character left or right. Extremely annoying!

- sliders often skip a choice

So I went back into the character creation, and thought I'd go in trying to act like a new player.

First thing I noticed, was that there was no "inspect" on any of the classes like on live. On live when you pick a class, you can hit the the button on the top of the screen to give you a bit more indepth look of what you're getting yourself into.

That's missing here. So as a experienced player, looking at a Powertech, I know what to expect, what to look at, what a Pyrotech is. As a new player, I'm afraid I just know it's a pistol wielding character with cool armor, that shoots fire. Then I look over and see it's a melee class, and have to wonder, how it a pistol/flame thrower wielding class a melee class? There's nothing beyond the "coolness" blurb (that at one point defaulted to assassin's blurb) of any kind of detail on skills, or what the disciplines actually provide me.

Operative is even more confusing. Am I using a rifle or two-melee blades? I'm wielding a rifle... how am I melee? Then I get in game, and don't get to equip melee blades, I think I may be a bit disappointed.

Bugs A lot of time the Style blurb defaults to Assassin's blurb. Not sure why and it's not consistant.

Bug 2: When I went into the creator, my class defaulted to Marauder. Switching to other classes, the light saber blades never went away.

Going to looksmenu: The roll over race names seem awful small, and just placed in random places. Sometime it's in the upper left of my screen, sometimes the middle left of my screen, sometimes in the middle. I'm assuming most new players will be familiar with Star Wars races, but who knows.

You may want to highlight the name block a bit. The black and white part kind of makes it blend in, and if I wasn't looking for it, I'd never know it was there.

Bugs: If you pick Cyborg, the rotate/zoom bar is on the same line as the Skin Color line, making a janky mess.

Issue: Since you were so kind as to not unlock the optional species so we can try out the character editor for those, I have no idea if the other races work or not.

Overall, veteran players won't have any issues with the character creator, and I think many will enjoy it more than live. It certainly more modern. As a new player, it can be a bit daunting, when you are dumped on the specialty page and have no idea what all those classes actually do or the skills they provide.

For example: After December I see another large influx of Bobba Fett and Mandalorian pretenders. If I'm a new player, what class/specialty combo would work best for them? What discipline?

I tried to make a new character today on the PTS and I became so frustrated that I just didn't do it. I really hope that they don't change the customizer kiosk UI because that and the old character creator are the only way to actually see what you're getting right now.

1) Once again, the lighting. Some of the makeup options are very subtle and it's extremely hard to tell them apart.

2) Not enough zoom in for the face. Again, you cannot see subtle details, such as lip shape, without the zoom.

3) Please give us a toggle for the female facial hair. I understand how some people like this, but I don't, and I don't think that anyone's tastes should subvert someone else's. When I go to make a female character and see a (randomized) beard, I hate it and I must immediately close the game. It is a visceral reaction.

I just installed the PTS yesterday, started new BH and played through the starting planet.

Here are a few things I've noted so far...

1. I didn't experience many of the overlaying zoom/overlay buttons that others have stated, but then I am using a 4K monitor at full resolution. May have something to do with it. I will say though, I great that you added the ability to rotate the char using the mouse, but not that you took away the ability to move it up/down/left/right. Only other option I have is zoom, but can only zoom in to the mid-torso; which is fine if you have a belly button fetish. The previous method may have been a little clunky, but it worked.

2. I have enabled main quickbar and quickbars 2, 5 and 6. I have assigned key bindings to all. But, it looks like any key bindings assigned to quickbar 5 do not work. Moved the same key binding to quickbar 6 or 3 and it works fine. Not too big an issue, just don't use #5.

3. Now that abilities are auto-trained, and don't appear on the trainer's menu, the option to view all abilities, even though not available yet, has also been removed. Now we can't see at what level an ability can be acquired. [Edit] When selecting to show All, it now displays abilities not yet available. Not sure if this is because I'm now off the starting planet or fixes made since prior login on PTS.

4. Please bring back the sell all junk button when interacting with a vendor. It was very handy to first sell all junk, then weed through the other sellable items. [Edit] Button is now back, not sure why.

5. Two things with the Inventory panel.

a. The key binding only half works. It is supposed to be a toggle on/off. The key will open the panel, but will not close it. This will be a major nuisance if not corrected.

b. What is up with the Currency tab? There is a big pink button on the lower center. Does this mean it is a Work In Progress? Or is WIP a new type of currency?

6. Is there a way to turn down the mouse sensitivity in the Preferences? If so, I can't find one. When I play the current production game, my mouse-look movement seems fine, but it seems a little more sensitive in the PTS.

7. This is not a new bug, but something that I've experienced on the PTS as well as in production (for a very long time) and is very annoying. When I'm moving around, forward for example, and I use the mouse right-click to change direction, often the camera will suddenly flip to looking straight up and that char will change to some arbitrary direction. When it happens, have to immediately stop moving and reposition the camera forward before continuing. It's very disorienting. Hopefully, not near a cliff or edge to fall off. Usually, wind up running into a tree or rock that I was trying to avoid in the first place.

8. My opinion is still undecided as to how I feel about the new character panel, combining the inventory. For example, I have the regular inventory panel open and have my mouse positioned over a particular item and want to manually equip. Then open the character and the separate inventory panel closes and the character panel opens with the attached inventory. Now have to relocate the item in the other inventory.

9. On the character panel, Outfitter tab, it's nice that you have added the main/offhand weapons. But, they do not work. When trying to drop a weapon to it, says not the correct item type.

10. I do like that the class-specific ability (e.g., Hunter's Boon) is now a passive instead of active. No longer have to worry about looking down and see the buff(s) have expired.

11. I see the same bug present since roughly the beginning of SWTOR. Yes, I've played since the initial beta. The galaxy map icon on the top menu begins flashing half way through the starting planet noting the availability, but you can't open the galaxy map until you complete the first two planets and acquire a ship.

12. Another old bug...When I start a new character, typically get 45+ mail items (past year sub rewards, etc). As I'm going through them, the list continuously reorders every time one is deleted. The default order is by date/time received. Since they all arrived at the exact same time, the order within date/time appears to be random. Which is very annoying weeding through all 48. The previous/next buttons on the open mail detail panel is very confusing since the next mail item may be one you have already read.

13. When looking at the map on the fleet station, the radio selectors for the legend (e.g., Vendor, Taxi, etc) used to be accumulative (could be multiple). Now it seems we can only pick one at a time. Is this supposed to be this way now? Also, not if this was a fix to a previously unfixed bug; occasionally when opening the fleet map and having say 8 of the 10 selected, the majority of the legend icons would disappear from the map. Only way to get them back is to re-log or possibly leave station for a while and return and maybe they might come back. Note: when this occurs, turning the legend option off then back on does nothing.

That's all I have for now. Sorry they are not organized better, but was writing them down when found.

Edited by CodeWarrior
Items not working yesterday are working today.

I quite like the new character creator except for two things. The major one being the impossibility to zoom reasonably. In the old creator, you were able to zoom either to your character's face (ideal for picking facial details) or to the entire figure (ideal for picking the body type plus the overall feel of it). Now I basically can either see my character's face or perhaps half of my character's body. And no matter what I do, whether by using the little +/- button on the right, or zooming with mouse wheel, what it does at most is to awkwardly zoom out a bit, then somehow bounce back to the sort of "we are showing you the upper half of your character's body". I would like to be able to see my character's ENTIRE body.

Secondly, more a minor detail, some of the animations in the character creator (especially if you have double-bladed lightsaber) go over the text and makes it impossible to read what's going on.

A perhaps very minor remark - but that pertains to taste - is that I preferred the old "blue" interface as opposed to this black one. It looks neat, but I think it was nice that the previous one vaguely referrenced the original KOTOR with its colour. But that's cosmetic. (But if it exists, would it be possible to pick interface type and have both?)

I just installed the PTS yesterday, started new BH and played through the starting planet.

Here are a few things I've noted so far...

1. I didn't experience many of the overlaying zoom/overlay buttons that others have stated, but then I am using a 4K monitor at full resolution. May have something to do with it. I will say though, I great that you added the ability to rotate the char using the mouse, but not that you took away the ability to move it up/down/left/right. Only other option I have is zoom, but can only zoom in to the mid-torso; which is fine if you have a belly button fetish. The previous method may have been a little clunky, but it worked.

2. I have enabled main quickbar and quickbars 2, 5 and 6. I have assigned key bindings to all. But, it looks like any key bindings assigned to quickbar 5 do not work. Moved the same key binding to quickbar 6 or 3 and it works fine. Not too big an issue, just don't use #5.

3. Now that abilities are auto-trained, and don't appear on the trainer's menu, the option to view all abilities, even though not available yet, has also been removed. Now we can't see at what level an ability can be acquired. [Edit] When selecting to show All, it now displays abilities not yet available. Not sure if this is because I'm now off the starting planet or fixes made since prior login on PTS.

4. Please bring back the sell all junk button when interacting with a vendor. It was very handy to first sell all junk, then weed through the other sellable items. [Edit] Button is now back, not sure why.

5. Two things with the Inventory panel.

a. The key binding only half works. It is supposed to be a toggle on/off. The key will open the panel, but will not close it. This will be a major nuisance if not corrected.

b. What is up with the Currency tab? There is a big pink button on the lower center. Does this mean it is a Work In Progress? Or is WIP a new type of currency?

6. Is there a way to turn down the mouse sensitivity in the Preferences? If so, I can't find one. When I play the current production game, my mouse-look movement seems fine, but it seems a little more sensitive in the PTS.

7. This is not a new bug, but something that I've experienced on the PTS as well as in production (for a very long time) and is very annoying. When I'm moving around, forward for example, and I use the mouse right-click to change direction, often the camera will suddenly flip to looking straight up and that char will change to some arbitrary direction. When it happens, have to immediately stop moving and reposition the camera forward before continuing. It's very disorienting. Hopefully, not near a cliff or edge to fall off. Usually, wind up running into a tree or rock that I was trying to avoid in the first place.

8. My opinion is still undecided as to how I feel about the new character panel, combining the inventory. For example, I have the regular inventory panel open and have my mouse positioned over a particular item and want to manually equip. Then open the character and the separate inventory panel closes and the character panel opens with the attached inventory. Now have to relocate the item in the other inventory.

9. On the character panel, Outfitter tab, it's nice that you have added the main/offhand weapons. But, they do not work. When trying to drop a weapon to it, says not the correct item type.

10. I do like that the class-specific ability (e.g., Hunter's Boon) is now a passive instead of active. No longer have to worry about looking down and see the buff(s) have expired.

11. I see the same bug present since roughly the beginning of SWTOR. Yes, I've played since the initial beta. The galaxy map icon on the top menu begins flashing half way through the starting planet noting the availability, but you can't open the galaxy map until you complete the first two planets and acquire a ship.

12. Another old bug...When I start a new character, typically get 45+ mail items (past year sub rewards, etc). As I'm going through them, the list continuously reorders every time one is deleted. The default order is by date/time received. Since they all arrived at the exact same time, the order within date/time appears to be random. Which is very annoying weeding through all 48. The previous/next buttons on the open mail detail panel is very confusing since the next mail item may be one you have already read.

13. When looking at the map on the fleet station, the radio selectors for the legend (e.g., Vendor, Taxi, etc) used to be accumulative (could be multiple). Now it seems we can only pick one at a time. Is this supposed to be this way now? Also, not if this was a fix to a previously unfixed bug; occasionally when opening the fleet map and having say 8 of the 10 selected, the majority of the legend icons would disappear from the map. Only way to get them back is to re-log or possibly leave station for a while and return and maybe they might come back. Note: when this occurs, turning the legend option off then back on does nothing.

That's all I have for now. Sorry they are not organized better, but was writing them down when found.

And how is all this besides #1 related to the character creation? :rak_02::rak_02:

Apologies if this has been brought up already - I didn't review the entire thread.

I'd like to see all customization options available regardless of origin story/advanced class. For example, inquisitor has exclusive scar options, but without the same options of all other classes/stories.

(edit: I mean on a race-by-race basis...I don't mean to suggest that humans should be able to have Zabrak horns)

Edited by Charuusu

I agree with most of what other folks have said here. The one other thing I see amiss (which I mention in a separate post) is the lack of UI scaling for those of us using 4k monitors. This renders the character creation UI elements a bit too small. It'd be nice if in the in-game Global Scale setting was actually *global*, and not just after you've logged into a character.

why am i creating a female sage with a beard while i choose the hairs ?

Also the new hairs looks wrong - if you wanted to give the feeling of movement of those, just give up, its really strange and even non comic. Just let them go down on the neck - Also i choose the most white colour hairs, i think the result is totally different.

http://www.zoopsie.com/img/swtor/hairs.jpg

I agree with most of what other folks have said here. The one other thing I see amiss (which I mention in a separate post) is the lack of UI scaling for those of us using 4k monitors. This renders the character creation UI elements a bit too small. It'd be nice if in the in-game Global Scale setting was actually *global*, and not just after you've logged into a character.

This, right here. I am old and can't see well anyway (even with my bifocals), having the creation sliders SO small on a 4k monitor gave me a headache trying to make a character. Any way you can make an option to enlarge it for us folk who have a 4k monitor and/or don't have 20/20 vision? Or just allow our in global settings actually be global as stated above?

I didn't read the thread.

I went through the character creation for a republic character.

- Half the time we can't see the weapons when clicking on an origin/combat style

- Concerning force users, I get that you want to give people options, but starting with a dark side combat style as a Jedi is just... wrong

- my female character had a mustache

- would be nice to be able to use the mouse button to scroll in and out

Needs work. A lot of work.