Character Creation Feedback Thread

JackieKo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no complexions that have scalp hair but not beard or mustache hair. Several of the new hairs are weirdly threadbare and could benefit a lot from a scalp complexion, we should have that option without having to also have facial hair.

The bars being click-through unless you land on exactly the tiny two-pixel tick you're aiming at is bad design. If I know the complexion I want is #34 and the one I currently have is #4 I shouldn't have to hit the arrow thirty times to get to it, instead of just clicking near the end of the bar and adjusting from there.

The two-level zoom is terrible. Let me mousewheel to a precise distance, or at the very least, make the zoom in actually zoomed in. This new CC doesn't let you get anywhere near close enough to your charcter's face.

Combat style descriptions don't refresh properly as you change storylines. Go from Sith Warrior to Bounty Hunter without clicking on a style can leave you with a description of a Bounty Hunter Guardian.

Why change the armors? Half of them are still in the low-rez original iconic armors, and Shae's and Valiant Jedi aren't any higher-rez, and the red Havoc armor from the cinematic is 0% as iconic for troopers within game as the Clone Wars style mesh they have on retail. And quizzes are rocking Korriban gear!? Weird choices. If you wanna go for high-fidelity iconic stuff maybe use some of the Remnant looks?

Not a functional complaint, but purely aesthetic: I do not like the new graphics at all. The class icons themselves are fine (although the sharp aliased pixelation looks very low-quality), but the all-white, the hard cornered highlighted borders on everything, the hyper-minimalist style, it doesn't match the rest of the game at all. SWtOR has a distinct look, and it's a strong, attractive, distinctive, space fantasy look. The gold, the blue, the clipped corners, the colorful detail, the iconic environment-as-background, all center the game really strongly in the Old Republic era, give it continuity with KotOR and with itself (both the character select screen before chargen, and the game once you launch), and ground the player in the game immediately. The new CC with its all-white, bright lines just feels like it's trying to ape Fallen Order or something. I don't have any illusions that you guys are going to change it at this point, but I really wish you hadn't gone this way.

The order of operations is good, though. Gender, species and slider on the same screen is a much better flow. I appreciate the new hairs don't have to be paid for, and unlocking all complexions for all genders is a nice move. Unlock all tattoos, scars and hair across genders and species too and we'll really be cooking.

The char creation visuals was a nice colld ui sidegrade at best. but at least it wasnt the first ui change that was an mega downgrade like the new inventory and character ui is 1. it is visually uglier and clunkier and 2. it literally is making me feel unvell from looking at it i have now played maybe 15-20 minutes with looking at inventory due to trying to pick up and place all the mail my char has been sent back into storage. but i noticed it making me unwell pretty quickly (this is something that happens to me with some visual things that they make me unwell) on top of that is the inability to hide the intentory part of the new char window which is an idiotic feature to begin with. Edited by Jevnaker

Because the camera is now so zoomed in on the character model, its very hard to see the differences between each character body type and compare them, since you cannot zoom out entirely to see your entire character. You only see from basically the torso upwards which kinda makes it not a great character creator experience.

In the original character creation, its very obvious and you can see your entire character, as well as turn them around easily. This new designer looks flashy but misses a lot of the good simple use cases from the original.

Edited by SnEaKyMan

I like the new hair options in theory, and will definitely use them if they are fixed, but the hair options 30-34 and 36 (on men), and 46-50 and 52 (on women), all currently have large gaps in between the hair sections that look somewhat strange. While real hairstyles like these do usually have noticeable parts, the abrupt transition between hair and no hair on these styles does not look good, and the side parts on 33-34(m) and 49-50(f) look too wide. These hairstyles are also not properly aligned with some body types, appearing to float over the skull in the center and back. They are not centered around the ears on women, leaving a large gap above and behind the ears on both sides. And they do not appear for Sith Pureblood characters.

The new complexion options are good. While I personally will not use them much, I know some people who roleplay drag queens that will love them, and they appear to be functioning as intended.

Aside from the new options, the character creation looks cool. The lighting is much better than the old creator, especially for imperial classes. And being able to separate class story from combat styles is nice. I do have two suggestions for it, though.

First, add back the function where clicking the character during creation plays voice lines (probably on the class selection page). I have been playing SWTOR for a long time, but when I start other games, I like to know how my character will sound.

Second, please make the zoom option function properly. Zooming to see the whole character would be nice when selecting body types, and the current zoom function sometimes only toggles briefly before returning back to default. This was not consistent and I suspect it is a bug. It occurred both when scrolling with mouse wheel and when clicking the zoom button on the UI.

I don't know if this has already been fixed, and it's hard to test on the PTS due to low population, but please also make sure the name generator does not suggest names that have already been taken. On the live servers, I have never been able to use any of the recommendations it gives me.

Can't properly zoom in. Zooming in with mouse wheel doesn't really work and the +/- thingy also seems really glitchy. Like I zoom in and it kinda auto zooms out again.

Lighting seems too dark so can't really see colors very well.

Whole background is really dark and then you have the really bright sliders it's kinda hurting my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest frustration with character creation was not being to preview the character's voice. The only way to do so is by clicking one of the gender options which rerolls all customization selections (except body type which always defaults to 2 for some reason). I personally like to see how my character will sound after I've settled on an appearance but currently there is no way to do this.

Similarly frustrating is that appearance customizations were rerolled if I went back to change my combat style. I think it would be very common for players to want to see how their character looked with different weapon setups after settling on a look, but currently they would not be able to do so.

I also found it odd that scrolling up would zoom out instead of in and vice versa. Seems counterintuitive. Clicking and dragging to rotate the character model was also quite slow. Ideally it would rotate at a speed dependent on how fast I'm moving my mouse or at least faster than clicking the arrow buttons since the latter seems like it would be the less commonly used method.

I felt the flow went smoothly aside from weapons occasionally disappearing while selecting an origin story/style. I really enjoyed how each combat style had a unique animation. The text and symbology were very clear while still looking sleek and intriguing.

Lastly, I very much appreciated being able to choose some masculine complexion options for female characters. The more appearance options that aren't restricted by gender the better, including body types! Ideally the gender selection would only affect the character's voice and pronouns used by NPCs and nothing else. It would certainly allow for more interesting character designs and make trans and GNC players feel more welcome.

Sorry, I'll be a little harsh but hey, you wanted our feedback (even if it's it too late to change a thing).

The new CC feels so... soulless. I get that you wanted something more modern, but I don't recognise Star Wars at all in it. And it's a bit weird to have a different UI than in game?

• Allegiance: Ok now we have to choose between the blue and the red of the french flag. More seriously, you could had something nicer with the flag of each faction in the background... but to be honest, I prefer the actual interface. It's a choice between two factions, not dark or light side.
  • Origin: Ok maybe the actual one could need a small update. The UI of the classes (with the portraits) looked a bit old. But I really liked the hangar background. On the PTS, it's just so dark... And that's it? Just a plain dark bakground. Boring, honestly. :/
  • Customize : The animation of the fighting style are a nice addition. Otherwise, the whole interface is boring, at best. White on black, that's it ? That's not "modern", that's lazy. I don't see any improvement, the CC is still the same.
    (And yes, adding 25 beards for woman is nice of you but really, make another category for it. Here it's just disapointing: "oh wow I have the choice between 50 complexions... oh. 50% are beards, ok")
    >> We should have differents category for brows, make-up, patterns, beards, tatoos (and body tatoo please <3) and complexion! That, we'll be a real improvement! (+ with HQ textures too)
  • Character selection: Thanks god, we still have our ship background. And the "datapad" style interface.

Positive points :

- The small FX when you click are nice on the faction logo.

- The animation when choosing a fighting style are nice.

- That's it.

To improve :

- Usually I like simplicity & sobriety but here, it just doesn't work (and it doesn't work for Star Wars either).

- When I change the race of the character, it would be cool to save my "WIP" when I get back on that race.

- We could zoom more. Actually, the zoom is weird, and the rotation is so slow...

- The lighting. Not sure if it's the same as IG.

- Not having the character repeat the same sentence is nice but... can we have an option to "preview" the voice?

With PTS now live, you can help test Character Creation!

Please answer the following questions:

• Are you experiencing any difficulties or issues with Character Creation?
  • How is the flow of using this feature?
  • Please provide any other general feedback you have in detail.

Please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it. Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

No difficulties, flow is fine.

In terms of general feedback, the single biggest improvement you could make to the character creation process would be to find a new way to store names. I made a new character on the live server just yesterday. It took just over half an hour to create my character, nearly all of which was taken up by trying various names. At one point, in frustration, I used the random name generator, only to find that it must not be very random, because ten random names out of ten attempts were already taken.

If I had been a new player who was just trying the game out of curiosity, an audience I think you're aiming for, there's a good chance I would have laughed and walked away. You can kick the can down the road with name purging, but this is an issue that many other entries in the genre, some even older than yours, have already permanently solved by allowing "John Doe" in the UI, and "John Doe#[unique numeric key]" in the background, e.g. social functions, adding to groups, etc. You need to catch up to that, or all the UI improvements in the world aren't going to make that experience any smoother.

Imagine you were putting together a short video to demonstrate your new character creation process to new players. Are you comfortable with including the scene where they have to minimize the game, open the browser, and start searching for the right combination of accented characters and phonetic misspellings before they can finally start playing, thirty minutes later?

With PTS now live, you can help test Character Creation!

Please answer the following questions:

• Are you experiencing any difficulties or issues with Character Creation?
  • How is the flow of using this feature?
  • Please provide any other general feedback you have in detail.

Please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it. Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

(not certain that on PTS all colour, hair style, exsist so i post below)

- Comparing with Live, i miss the hair style 61, hair color 11 - grey ish (the color i have on Live given the same number is totally different), and i miss eyes color too.

So my actual characters from Live, will have the hairs and colors changed on 7.0 ?

I still have beard when i am creating my feminine character.

The colors given while at creation are totally different and fade once in game. The choice of hair i have that is usually great in live, looks more like having a dirty mop on the head :(

The light over our head does not help at all. If you want to give us light, put spots above behind and on sides

-

For now i go on, i am lv 4 ... but those difference at creation are worring me

Abilities trainer

I am used when i go on a new character, to check as a reminder when i will have the abilities. Trainers at GNarl gives a different level than what is happening. I would really love to be able to see the level at which i will unlock a skill

I am 10 and i finally get my more important skill (for me) the shadow skill :p

i will try to come back tomorrow, but i fear that testing more push me really away of the game :((( i will take probably the risk to get all the bugs at launch. Anyway its not like if they will be corrected seeing the time left.

Edited by mirellha

Now that I am done with my achievment requirements it's time for the feedback. :) Sorry about my English, my native tongue is German :p

First of all... I love what you did with the character creation. It looks nice and to top it off, we are getting some new customizations.

Could be more though. Especially the Pureblood Sith seem to be discriminated.

I played on the PTS in German - so I noticed only one thing, that needs a bit of shifting. The Sith Warrior Character Creation has overlapping German text. Just a minor thing, but if there is some intention to polish the German version... there you go ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I did not like the screen. I just got on test to try some things out and see what was happening, and I just didn't like some things.

There were two big issues:

1) The lighting - Seemed like a bright light was shining on the character's head, making picking the right hair and skin color more difficult than it should be.

Between the blacker-than-black background and that bright light, it distorts the colors.

2) The close-up image is too small. I am trying to pick eye colors and I can barely see the eyes at all. Trying to distinguish finer details in complexions and faces? Forget about it.

I may have another issue with hair colors, or an insufficient variety of "reasonable" colors anyway, but issue #1 prevents me from being sure.

I will have to try several different colors in creation to see how the colors look in the game, because the creation screen lighting is a very different thing from in-game lighting.

Oh, and not sure if this should go here or not, but... I tried making a cyborg smuggler. I have unlocked other cyborg options on other characters and transferred them over to have them "registered" in my test account, but only the base cyborg options were available, and to me the base cyborg options for smuggler are the worst cyborg options of any class (now origin) in the game.

I could make a cyborg Jedi Knight using other class options, but not a smuggler.

Edit:

I'd like to add, after playing around with it some more, that I would prefer a full-body image in the creator, and a sense of scale.

The type 3 body is magnified in the creator, but how much bigger is it really? People that have been playing know, but what about new players?

I think what would be really nice is to have all four bodies on-screen at the same time, however that would require taking body type out of the rest of the creation window and is probably too much to ask for at this point.

But anyway, yeah, add two more "slots" to the +/- thing in the creator. Let me zoom in on the face even closer, and let me pull out even further to see the whole body.

Edited by Mithros