Jedi Sentinel Feedback

JackieKo

Not going to get involved this back and forth between whether it is a good idea or not but will say you really need to go try it out for yourself instead of relaying on other people to tell you how it is. I don't care how good a person is the way they play may be different and therefore before you give your view on this go check it out for yourself so you can actually see how it works.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post
Hi Jackie, I'm wondering if there is a bug with mounts on the PTS which happens if you use your reward mounts and companions from the mail. Last time when I tried out the Guardian, I collected my mail first which included several mounts & the items to unlock various companions. I used all of these before I went to Onderon. When I finally got to Onderon, I didn't get C2N2 and my mount speed was slower than speed 1.

This time on the Sentinel, I ignored my mail and when to Onderon as soon as I'd chosen my spec and gear. I unlocked C2N2 & the mount as soon as I got there. The mount worked at speed 3 and C2N2 was also immediately boosted in influence level.

Hi Jackie,

I also had the same issue with the mount speed being slower than speeder 1 lvl. It was literally faster to run than get on my speeder. If this is a bug because I didn’t go to Onderon, then so be it, but it would be good to know for future pts iterations.

If it’s not a bug, is there a chance BioWare could just enable speeder bike lvl 3 riding for all speeders and companion when we travel to the fleet the first time? Because I find testing on Onderon less optimal than testing in harder content like veteran / master mode flash points

Hi there,

Wanted to confirm that level 3 is granted via the Onderon Daily Board. Starting the daily questline will give you the companion, the mount, and level 3 Speeder Piloting. I'll also be updating the original post with these details so players are aware. And I have passed along the feedback about when level 3 is granted.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Wanted to confirm that level 3 is granted via the Onderon Daily Board. Starting the daily questline will give you the companion, the mount, and level 3 Speeder Piloting. I'll also be updating the original post with these details so players are aware. And I have passed along the feedback about when level 3 is granted.

Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification, Jackie.

With our next phase of PTS now live, you can help test the Combat Style for the Jedi Sentinel.

Please answer the following questions:

• What abilities make the Sentinel unique to you?
  • Do these ability paths feel effective against enemies?
  • If you have feedback on the different disciplines and loadouts, please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it.

Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

1. For me the unique abilites of Jedi Sentinel are Force Leap, Dual Saber Throw, Zen and Force Camouflage. Force Camouflage should be basic ability, not a decision.

2. I played Combat Sentinel A and B and found B variant better.

It was fun and ejoyable but I was missing Awe and Transcendence. The only stun is Force Sweep but it was not easy to implement it in rotation. The best for it was after Force Leap but it takes too much focus and do not do damage. The other Cyclone slash has nice animation but do same little damage even with Trailblaizer utility. That is sad. I think it will be better implement these two abilities into one or in Force Leap. I like Sentinels ability do quick single target damage, high mobility and speed.

I begin fight with Force Leap + Force Sweep + Precision... And at the end use Force Camoflage cleansing me from debuffs and give me higher speed for rushing into the next battle. I like using Dual Saber Throw while moving during fight, but focus is sometimes trouble and it would be better to generate it faster. I had to use basic Slash (delays better abilities) which will be better if it's effect would be implemented into Dual Saber Throw.

Declaring one's own personal experience on the base that is a long experience to be valid for everyone else is a bit immature, to say the least. Granted for a lot of players who do this it might have to do with passion for their class and the game, it is not helping the cause. This is the first time in about 10 years players have been given the chance for feedback in a very early stage of development. That's a very good change of procedure on Bioware's part in my opinion. A lot of posts here unfortunately do not yet reflect any understanding as to how the state of what we find on PTS differs from previous iterations and hence how we as players deal with it in a constructive manner: We don't yet know what the new abilities mentioned in loadouts are, for example. They will propably be core parts of new rotations. The opening post is very clear: This is about gathering information about the feel for the class, about essentials. Talking about balancing and stuff is like discussing the taste of a cake before even the dough is prepared. I'll be waiting for the icing to do that and that will be a lot of PTS iterations later.

I've seen the lack of construcive attitudes ruin several development processes and I can thus only emphasize: Don't get carried away - especially if you're passionate about SWTOR. Stick to the facts and describe your findings matter-of-factly instead of attacking people working on the process. The more constructive feedback is, the better it is to work with and the more benefitial back and forth processes of changes we can work with will be. Going hard enrage on stuff that isn't even the point at this stage is just not wise.

I also think it helps to look at the whole concept of cross class combat gameplay, it opens up a lot of possibilities, especially with one-click presets. If you can even switch what is now different classes for different bosses or even during PvP, the specs are naturally going to be a bit simpler. If the gameplay experience is rewarding or not is absolutely not a matter of how complicated rotations and defensive CDs are. In fact a lot of recent MMOs work with a lot less abilities but a lot more engaging encounter design, which is more fun in the end imo. Good thing, if SWTOR grows to live up to that challenge as well. (On a side note, every other MMO I've been playing recently has much shorter PVP TTK than SWTOR, no matter the group composition. Engaging enemies in the open field without working with your environment a lot means instant death in BDO everytime e.g.)

Either way, if development is a collaborative process of developers and players as offered here, both parties will decide how good things will work out in the end. Regardless of how long someone has been playing the game, regardless of they're PvE or PvP, regardless how skilled they are: Everyone who claims they want the game to improve should test their own writing on wether it will contribute to that - or not...

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

Declaring one's own personal experience on the base that is a long experience to be valid for everyone else is a bit immature, to say the least. Granted for a lot of players who do this it might have to do with passion for their class and the game, it is not helping the cause. This is the first time in about 10 years players have been given the chance for feedback in a very early stage of development. That's a very good change of procedure on Bioware's part in my opinion. A lot of posts here unfortunately do not yet reflect any understanding as to how the state of what we find on PTS differs from previous iterations and hence how we as players deal with it in a constructive manner: We don't yet know what the new abilities mentioned in loadouts are, for example. They will propably be core parts of new rotations. The opening post is very clear: This is about gathering information about the feel for the class, about essentials. Talking about balancing and stuff is like discussing the taste of a cake before even the dough is prepared. I'll be waiting for the icing to do that and that will be a lot of PTS iterations later.

I've seen the lack of construcive attitudes ruin several development processes and I can thus only emphasize: Don't get carried away - especially if you're passionate about SWTOR. Stick to the facts and describe your findings matter-of-factly instead of attacking people working on the process. The more constructive feedback is, the better it is to work with and the more benefitial back and forth processes of changes we can work with will be. Going hard enrage on stuff that isn't even the point at this stage is just not wise.

I also think it helps to look at the whole concept of cross class combat gameplay, it opens up a lot of possibilities, especially with one-click presets. If you can even switch what is now different classes for different bosses or even during PvP, the specs are naturally going to be a bit simpler. If the gameplay experience is rewarding or not is absolutely not a matter of how complicated rotations and defensive CDs are. In fact a lot of recent MMOs work with a lot less abilities but a lot more engaging encounter design, which is more fun in the end imo. Good thing, if SWTOR grows to live up to that challenge as well. (On a side note, every other MMO I've been playing recently has much shorter PVP TTK than SWTOR, no matter the group composition. Engaging enemies in the open field without working with your environment a lot means instant death in BDO everytime e.g.)

Either way, if development is a collaborative process of developers and players as offered here, both parties will decide how good things will work out in the end. Regardless of how long someone has been playing the game, regardless of they're PvE or PvP, regardless how skilled they are: Everyone who claims they want the game to improve should test their own writing on wether it will contribute to that - or not...

You're making guesses and assumptions. BW has essentially admitted that they are reducing the number of abilities to reduce our character's effectiveness and to remove some player skill as a factor in things like pvp. Whatever adjustments they make to how various abilities work, I personally am completely opposed to both of those. I'm all for balance adjustments, the game needs those, but we've got 0 indication that balance is a component in what they're doing. In pvp for example, a guardian that has a choice to take focused defense and doesn't is going to be very very sorry he did that, that is all. Sentinels with guarded by the force are just going to beat those that take blade blitz in duels and arenas. These updates aren't making the game or my favorite characters (guardians and sentinels) remotely better in any way from my perspective. I'm sure other classes will be similarly neutered but I don't see balance in PVE or PVP, or a better experience for newbies who will be endlessly harassed over ability choices, being the result.

You're making guesses and assumptions.

No, I actually read the OP and listened to the livestream about 7.0. Again: What you wrote has its place somewhere else but not in a thread that's about constructive contribution to a development process in stage 1. And it is - again - making points that are not what isbeing worked on atm. Balance is logically the very last thing to happen after you established class mechanics, ability interaction etc. etc.. If PTS state in late November hasn't alleviated what you're afraid of, it might make sense to discuss what you wrote, but for the purpose the devs have communicated for this iteration of PTS it's simply irrelevant.

No, I actually read the OP and listened to the livestream about 7.0. Again: What you wrote has its place somewhere else but not in a thread that's about constructive contribution to a development process in stage 1. And it is - again - making points that are not what isbeing worked on atm. Balance is logically the very last thing to happen after you established class mechanics, ability interaction etc. etc.. If PTS state in late November hasn't alleviated what you're afraid of, it might make sense to discuss what you wrote, but for the purpose the devs have communicated for this iteration of PTS it's simply irrelevant.

So which "new abilities" are you referring to exactly? The ones you assume will change everything?

I'm responding to your post which was just a whine about other posters. If you're going to whine about other posters I'm going to answer you.

I'm not waiting until Nov to discuss major problems with what I'm seeing now based on testing I've done, posts I've read and the streams I've watched very closely. In development terms, November is going to be here very very soon. What "new abilities" are going to make up for the guardian that doesn't take focused defense or the sentinel that's trying to pvp with blade blitz instead of guarded by the force (or vanish)?

Hi there,

Thanks!

Thanks Jackie

So which "new abilities" are you referring to exactly? The ones you assume will change everything?

I'm responding to your post which was just a whine about other posters. If you're going to whine about other posters I'm going to answer you.

I'm not waiting until Nov to discuss major problems with what I'm seeing now based on testing I've done, posts I've read and the streams I've watched very closely. In development terms, November is going to be here very very soon. What "new abilities" are going to make up for the guardian that doesn't take focused defense or the sentinel that's trying to pvp with blade blitz instead of guarded by the force (or vanish)?

On level 65 and 75 it says "New ability granted but there is no choice to be made and it is not discipline specific". I'm sure though it will NOT make up for Blade Blitz and Guarded and I hope it won't. Is it really so hard to see that every other class you will be pvping will have the same thing happen to them? Devs explained very well that they're taking defensive ablities out of the game across the board. From my gaming experience I say this shifts the key to success away from which button to press when to a more movement and tactics oriented gameplay that many other MMOs have implemented (or tried to do so) long ago. You're basically whining about balance lost an account that you don't yet know what will be on the other side of the scale once that has been designed.

Yeah I'm "whining" if people don't take the chance to improve things. Assuming they're not five year olds who are only stomping their foot in anger but are clever enough to understand what the procedure layed out in front of them is, how it's about to evolve and how you best play a part that does what we all want: Make the game enjoyable on the class discussed.

And if all that doesn't help try imagining you're working on this and what kind of feedback you'd be inclined to work with given you have limited resources. Some of what has been written here really makes you wonder what people were thinking when they wrote it...

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

On level 65 and 75 it says "New ability granted but there is no choice to be made and it is not discipline specific". I'm sure though it will NOT make up for Blade Blitz and Guarded and I hope it won't. Is it really so hard to see that every other class you will be pvping will have the same thing happen to them? Devs explained very well that they're taking defensive ablities out of the game across the board. From my gaming experience I say this shifts the key to success away from which button to press when to a more movement and tactics oriented gameplay that many other MMOs have implemented (or tried to do so) long ago. You're basically whining about balance lost an account that you don't yet know what will be on the other side of the scale once that has been designed.

Yeah I'm "whining" if people don't take the chance to improve things. Assuming they're not five year olds who are only stomping their foot in anger but are clever enough to understand what the procedure layed out in front of them is, how it's about to evolve and how you best play a part that does what we all want: Make the game enjoyable on the class discussed.

And if all that doesn't help try imagining you're working on this and what kind of feedback you'd be inclined to work with given you have limited resources. Some of what has been written here really makes you wonder what people were thinking when they wrote it...

I don't really care what happens to other classes. If I was playing "the best pvp class" or whatever, I wouldn't be playing dps guardians or sentinels. Of course other classes will also be arbitrarily nerfed but that doesn't mean the nerfed results will be balanced, just as the ability choices given at various levels are not remotely balanced. Look at defensive spec'd guardians and dps guardians. In 1v1 or 1v2 or 2v2 or 4v4 one class is much better. It's like that on live and it's like that after the nerfs on test. Balance has not changed, characters are just weaker, less interesting, less fun. Both classes are losing lots of options. If I wanted to play tic tac toe, a game with very few options, I would already be doing that. Note that very few people over a very young age play the games with the fewest options unless money gets involved.

One of the main selling points of expansions used to be, we're talking about olden times here, that we'd get new abilities. On test my characters are losing all but one of the new abilities they've received from every expansion in this game. Heck, they've lost things they started the game with. Does one ability per AC at 80 make up for that? No. How is this fun? How are these nerfs needed? That case has not been made.

Edited by Savej

Hi there,

Thanks!

Brilliant, thanks :)

I didn't playied sentinel for too long. I am just against all that "nerfing" and taking out abilities. I have tryied knight on pts and i was just unable to play. You took litteraly half of the abilities out from the rotation. It's just wrong. it is bad idea. DO NOT DO THIS. Just give 5 new lvl ups without such "nerfing", new item rating, weapon sellection and we will be good on our own. I am considering unsub when this new update comes out cause i will be unable to play not only my main guardian but probably every other class.

Wait, I'm confused, did they not include the two new abilities in the PTS?

My feedback is focused/based around the Sentinel Watchman Build A as it's what I'm most fluent in on the live realm.

High Level feedback

First impressions - You're just taking abilities away and giving me less to do. I don't want less to do. On the surface it's not a good feeling opening the game and seeing what feels like simply less. If this feeling remains through the release of combat styles, its going to be a rough rough road ahead.

Closer impressions - I like what you've done with merging some skill functionality in to core moves. IMO generally with skill design in any game - if something wasn't REALLY an option, baking its function in to the skill is a good move as long as it opens space for ADDITIONAL design elements that complement the core.

Thoughts/Impressions -

The lack of communication about systems/skills that should supplement this is confusing. If I knew missing utliity skills are still coming back or that there would be core skills available to all characters (or force/tech specific) that fill in the gaps that just aren't there yet, I would have a better impression of the changes for the class I play. Right now, as is you've got me really nervous about how fun swtor might be after 7.0

I also think that the confusion I get from feeling what I'm testing is incomplete doesn't let me give quality feedback. It frustrating to be looking through a pin-hole at the new changes and NOT being told what the landscape generally looks like outside my field of vision.

Specific build feedback -

Does the sentinel build A "feel" like I expect... like 80% maybe. I look like I'm playing the same class, but my good impression of the merging of functionality is kind of lost... because the gameplay looks mostly the same except less mobile and more downtime during a DPS rotation.

My primary issue of a specific skill missing is that Blade Blitz missing feels real bad as it's a core dash/mobility skill when in PVP and makes the PVE grind more fun because it's fun to use between packs or blitz through them, then force leap back. Without it the experience is more stagnant.

Perfect scenario - Streamline advanced classes to their core functionality then allow us to unlock skills that are class or advanced class agnostic so players could mix and match the look and feel of different classes to really get a unique character build.

In Summary -

Please communicate a broader picture of how you expect the build landscape to function.

You should be able to do this without a deep dive. If the system releases as is...meaning similar opportunity costs.... I think it'll be bad for the game.

Edited by RaynMayker

Yeah supposedly Guardian gets three new abilities (one at 45, 65 and 75) and Sentinel gets two new (at 65 and 75) but we have no idea what they are - only that all disciplines get them.

This is a huge issue. We don't have a list of abilities and when we get them (right? did I miss something?). We can't see when we pick up passives. Basically, we need to see the updated UI and any new abilities they are going to put into the game. Until then, we aren't even seeing the proposed class changes as they will appear in 7.0.

We're asked to give feedback on choices we can't make yet and on classes that aren't 100% finished on the PTS. Of course we're going to be upset by missing abilities or being forced to choose between some class favorites. You can't give us 60% of the class and get mad that we feel things are missing. If we truly have new abilities coming then I question why the devs are harping on ability bloat? Adding new active abilities could in turn affect every current rotation which is just another level of a nightmare to test in time.

This is a huge issue. We don't have a list of abilities and when we get them (right? did I miss something?). We can't see when we pick up passives. Basically, we need to see the updated UI and any new abilities they are going to put into the game. Until then, we aren't even seeing the proposed class changes as they will appear in 7.0.

We're asked to give feedback on choices we can't make yet and on classes that aren't 100% finished on the PTS. Of course we're going to be upset by missing abilities or being forced to choose between some class favorites. You can't give us 60% of the class and get mad that we feel things are missing. If we truly have new abilities coming then I question why the devs are harping on ability bloat? Adding new active abilities could in turn affect every current rotation which is just another level of a nightmare to test in time.

Correct, we know when we get our level 1-5 or so abilities and the ABC choices detailed in the forum posts.

What we don't know is what the mysterious set of extra abilities every discipline gets, when we get passives because we know for a fact we still have the main important discipline passives on PTS, and all the other normal abilities you get through levelling (minus pruned ones). I sincerely hope the new UI shows not only our ABC choices, but also has a linear path next to it listing all the baseline passives we get by levelling.

I think the main point of this starting phase is to gut classes to see which abilities we miss the most, then add them back in baseline, merge a few extremely niche abilities, prune some defensives and put the rest in ABC choices to create some form of choice. I assume the new abilities will be actually useful abilities that add to gameplay and are meant to replace some of the things that are going away, maybe they even replace starter abilities with upgraded versions like adding guardian leap onto force charge at a later level. I don't mind rotations being broken because we've been sitting on the same rotations for a good while now, it's nice to have a change sometimes - better yet if new abilities and tacticals allow for a couple different rotations. Again, we don't know as this is just "high level" and we are giving feedback without knowing even half of what the actual full in depth plan is. What we really need is a concise post detailing exactly what the devs are planning.

What are the new abilities? Are there plans to take feedback into account and add things like saber throw baseline for all guardians? Are discipline passives part of ABC or completely separate automatic things we gain by levelling?

On the other hand, having taken UX modules at uni, I understand the desire and even need to not fill the players in on everything that's going on as it could warp and influence feedback in a negative way. It's a tricky situation compounded by the lack of time before the expansion is supposed to launch. Still, we at least need proof that our feedback is useful and valuable and results in changes and micro patches to the PTS at a much faster rate. If classes only come onto PTS once every three weeks, the first week should be devoted to testing the dev intended changes, then the second and third should offer variations of the changes with feedback taken into account. We don't need full descriptions and animations etc, just quick hacks to test. This at least gives multiple opportunities to get it right instead of driving progress fully off of initial unrefined changes. Lastly, we still haven't had an actual patch log for what changed with the guardian balance pass that occurred after sentinel went live so without knowing what to look for, there's not much point retesting it. (edit. saying that I did retest and did notice some changes such as dispatch being added back and focused defence(FD) being present on all classes, still don't know if that was a bug that it wasn't there but it made vigilance feel a lot tankier since it was missing FD the first time around and I also love my 30% health abilities like assassinate, dispatch and takedown)

At the end of the day even if I don't want to see all the current abilities go away, I'm excited for what is coming to SWTOR with all the different proposed updates and improvements and just want more things to test!! I literally made a website with tables for the current ABC options because I have nothing better to do and enjoy writing about the game :)

Edited by LordCamTheGreat

Sentinel is a meele dps, and he die too easy, this is the point and make this class bad to play, because you spend shame when you the only one to die in a party and you a jedi.

I belive that class need enter in and out a fight with ease. Camoflage is a skiill that represent very well sentinel, but i belive if you can turn this skill while in a fight will turn the class much more unique. I belive that class, like others say, represent speed. How about double jump and a skill that improve the speed in and out the fights, he move in map very slowly. I dont know why jedi jump in this game like a dump.

Edited by psieco

Sentinel is a meele dps, and he die too easy, this is the point and make this class bad to play, because you spend shame when you the only one to die in a party and you a jedi.

yeah Sent has really good defenses even on the PTS so you just need to get better at the class

After playing through all the sent's styles and loadouts my favorite has to be the combat playstyle 2 slots of Furious Leap or whatever it's called (not zealous leap I like that one too)FTW\. Looking foward to when we get to test out the Dark Side powers if we do. Edited by bryanskrantz

Would be really nice to get a dev response with some insights on the changes, but in lieu of that, I'm going to list a few here that were made between the last PTS iteration and this one (only looking at Combat at the moment):

• I don't see this listed on any of the relevant abilities, but Contemplation is no longer a level 80 choice or available at all. Its functionality seems to now be baseline to the Sentinel's Introspection regen ability. This is a really nice QOL change. Thank you Bioware.

• Transcendence is in the same place on the tree, but no longer requires Centering to be activated. Again, thank you Bioware.

• Jedi Crusader is merged with the old Jedi Promulgator utility, still at the same spot it was at in the tree with Zealous Ward and Trailblazer. This is a buff on that choice, so not a bad thing.

These are the notable changes I see, and they're fairly positive. It's not all perfect, we're still missing Force Stasis, still not fond of Force Camo being a choice, etc, but. I think this was good progress on what was put out originally.

My big concern now, like really big after the interview that was posted last week, is that we need to get a look at gearing soon, because that could completely throw any positives here out the window if, for instance, the functionality of Fanged God Form is no longer available to Combat. Its Focus management without FGF is painful and nothing in these changes really addresses it. Testing currently with FGF is kind of a bad thing if it's not going to be around in 7.0, since that would hide any potential Focus management issues for Combat until much later in the testing cycle. The sooner we get info on if something like that is sticking around in some form, the better.

My big concern now, like really big after the interview that was posted last week, is that we need to get a look at gearing soon, because that could completely throw any positives here out the window if, for instance, the functionality of Fanged God Form is no longer available to Combat. Its Focus management without FGF is painful and nothing in these changes really addresses it. Testing currently with FGF is kind of a bad thing if it's not going to be around in 7.0, since that would hide any potential Focus management issues for Combat until much later in the testing cycle. The sooner we get info on if something like that is sticking around in some form, the better.

According to Jackie’s post, set bonuses shouldn’t be enabled at the moment. I’d assumed it’s the same with the tacticals too. So are you saying the gear is working on Sents at the moment?

According to Jackie’s post, set bonuses shouldn’t be enabled at the moment. I’d assumed it’s the same with the tacticals too. So are you saying the gear is working on Sents at the moment?

Just the tactical. Set bonuses aren't working (text on them is in red even when wearing a full set) but tacticals work. I checked on a Sniper as well with Kolto Bombardment and that worked, so it's not just Sentinels.