Why This Will be My last Month as a Sub.

cheeseforme

Story is too easy.

Im literally falling asleep going from quest to quest. Making this thread so the devs are aware that the lack of difficulty can keep players from sticking around. Ive been pushing myself through it past 3 days in hopes that it becomes challenging but it hasnt. On the bright side, the games story and graphics and coametics are beautiful. :D

I find the newest changes to the SOV story flash point to be too easy. It went from challenging and fun for me to boring and easy.

IMO, I felt it didn’t need rebalancing and it was perfect (except the bugs). Once the bugs were fixed, the flash point was great.

Sadly, Bioware only care if the lowest skilled players can pass through content with no understand of abilities or strats. If they can’t get past something be letting their comps do all the work, then Bioware end up nerfing the content till you can go get yourself a drink and come back in time to watch the cut scene.

What I don’t understand is Bioware have mechanisms in place (and precedence) to use a different method to make harder content passable for lesser skilled players. They don’t need to keep nerfing content when they could just “add a droid companion” option “if” some people need the help.

And to be clear, that droid should not be on by default, there should be a flashy thing or something that asks if you want to activate the droid when you start or after your first death. Having it on by default is just as bad as over nerfing content.

Wait a minute, can't you change the difficulty on these quests now? I vaguely remember wait no I definitely remember having multiple options for difficulty on these instanced chapter quests. Hell, there are achievements for doing chapters on three different difficulty settings.

Wait a minute, can't you change the difficulty on these quests now? I vaguely remember wait no I definitely remember having multiple options for difficulty on these instanced chapter quests. Hell, there are achievements for doing chapters on three different difficulty settings.

There's a toggle on your character profile where you can set your prefered difficulty to Story, Veteran or Master but I think it only works for some things ( Like KOTFE story chapters) but not other things (like class stories, map quests etc)

There's a toggle on your character profile where you can set your prefered difficulty to Story, Veteran or Master but I think it only works for some things ( Like KOTFE story chapters) but not other things (like class stories, map quests etc)

Sadly you are correct (not sad you’re right, sad Bioware haven’t expanded those options). It’s not available in these sorts of flash points because they are designed as flash point to be replayed later in groups.

Story is too easy.

Im literally falling asleep going from quest to quest. Making this thread so the devs are aware that the lack of difficulty can keep players from sticking around. Ive been pushing myself through it past 3 days in hopes that it becomes challenging but it hasnt. On the bright side, the games story and graphics and coametics are beautiful. :D

on the reverse side, increasing difficulty also causes people to leave. I'm not defending the devs, or saying you're wrong, just stating the other side of the coin that people use when leaving.

It's one of the reasons a lot of us have asked for instanced content to be scalable like Kotet, etc. It would help with this, would give both sides what they are looking for. Won't please everyone, but someone always has to give out :)

Bioware can't win.

Wasn't that many years ago people were kvetching on these forums that content was too hard.

I'm in favor of leaving story mode alone forever, and expanding upon the ability of players to choose harder modes of play for everything -- but not at the cost of new players getting their feet wet and subsequently getting discouraged because the devs overreacted to threads like these and made things so stupid-hard as to make the game unplayable for the casual and the inexperienced.

Careful what you ask for.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Yeah there's no winning. Make something a bit challenging and people complain about it, make something too easy and people complain about it... I mean, if you want a challenge, run KoTFE in Master Mode *shrug*.

Bioware can't win.

Wasn't that many years ago people were kvetching on these forums that content was too hard.

I'm in favor of leaving story mode alone forever, and expanding upon the ability of players to choose harder modes of play for everything -- but not at the cost of new players getting their feet wet and subsequently getting discouraged because the devs overreacted to threads like these and made things so stupid-hard as to make the game unplayable for the casual and the inexperienced.

Yes, well the problem is that the devs overreact to things. You can't trust them to take a nuanced approach, which says more about them than the people asking for change. So they can't win not because players have different opinions but because they take a blunt hammer approach to everything.

For example, increasing the difficulty does not just mean increasing HP bars and making everything much slower to kill. That's not difficult and it's not fun, it's just a tedious grind. Or increasing damage in SoV so that trash mobs can instakill you. Again, not fun.

So this advice basically is "don't ask the devs for anything, because they are too incompetent to do anything but the most basic, cosmetic changes properly."

So this advice basically is "don't ask the devs for anything, because they are too incompetent to do anything but the most basic, cosmetic changes properly."

Not quite. This advice is basically "don't ask the devs for anything because they're too incompetent to do anything that I specifically think is the bestest." 😂

The real problem here is they made the content necessary to continue the story. Everyone should be able to do that much. While we can choose to play or avoid other flashpoints, or repeat chapters of KOTFE and KOTET on higher levels, you have no way to bypass these and stay in character. Not everyone by default chooses light for the Republic or Dark for Empire, which is what you get by skipping.

And of course, not everyone can afford the best gear, and has unlimited play time. I also doubt they test with all class build variations. I know I've had issues with it (usually with those with no self heals). Either the chapter says 'no companion' or gives me one I haven't (or can't) level up. (Why are we leveling up comps if we can't use them? I don't get it.)

They should give the option to allow that droid or another companion along if they are going to make a 'solo' FP required to continue. That way everyone has ways to play without altering the difficulty ( *cough* minus bugs please *cough*.) I HAVE had said droid killed in solo FP in other areas and done fine without him. But here where I probably could use him due to time limitations or what have you, now I can't have him. Who thought of that genius idea?:rak_02:

Yes, well the problem is that the devs overreact to things. You can't trust them to take a nuanced approach, which says more about them than the people asking for change. So they can't win not because players have different opinions but because they take a blunt hammer approach to everything.

For example, increasing the difficulty does not just mean increasing HP bars and making everything much slower to kill. That's not difficult and it's not fun, it's just a tedious grind. Or increasing damage in SoV so that trash mobs can instakill you. Again, not fun.

Well said.

Not asking for nightmare mode. Just that the game stimulates you enough so you aren't literally falling asleep during combat. Not even using that as an insult... I was falling asleep on my desk and it wasn't even that I was tired, as soon as i got off SWTOR, turned on some netflix, im back to my normal self(not sleepy). Devs could tweak the difficulty in tiny increments. No need to turn the switch all the way up. There is a good balance of difficulty in there somewhere where both casuals and players who enjoy traditional MMO's can get what they want.

side note:

The problem isn't the demands, the problem seems to be the amount of tweaking that is being done. At this point, It's clear things aren't going to change so ive accepted it and will simply move on or go back to ESO. Game is fun, just not stimulating me enough to stick around, thats it.

Yeah there's no winning. Make something a bit challenging and people complain about it, make something too easy and people complain about it... I mean, if you want a challenge, run KoTFE in Master Mode *shrug*.

But there is, choose an inbetween. Players aren't demanding a difficulty level that is impossible, just that the game is somewhat strategic.

Also, you are more inclined to keep players around by making the game impossible(not saying it should be or thats how i want it, just to make a point) then to making the game brain-dead-boring. If the content being offered is actually stimulating your brain enough that you have to adapt its very hard for you to be bored, but if you give humans content that is literally putting you to sleep... well then... that is clearly not going to keep you around.

My point is, humans are very good at adapting to difficult tasks and deep down enjoy them to an extent. Thers a threshold though, you pass that and people will simply give up. But I dont think that threshold is even close to being past in this game, i think that the content is seriously in need of tweaking. The story is great, not that great in my opinion, and if I want a good story, i'll hop on netflix and scroll the the thousands of movies. When I hop on a game, i want challenge, stimulation, community, and a little story, roleplay. This is missing the biggest part why peope play MMO's or ever get into them in the first place.

That is just my opinion, ive been playing MMO's since 2004 and this one seems to have it all besides the core system that makes MMO's exciting.

Not really trying to convince anyone that im right or wrong, at this point im just giving my point of view. To each his own.

Well said.

Not asking for nightmare mode. Just that the game stimulates you enough so you aren't literally falling asleep during combat. Not even using that as an insult... I was falling asleep on my desk and it wasn't even that I was tired, as soon as i got off SWTOR, turned on some netflix, im back to my normal self(not sleepy). Devs could tweak the difficulty in tiny increments. No need to turn the switch all the way up. There is a good balance of difficulty in there somewhere where both casuals and players who enjoy traditional MMO's can get what they want.

side note:

The problem isn't the demands, the problem seems to be the amount of tweaking that is being done. At this point, It's clear things aren't going to change so ive accepted it and will simply move on or go back to ESO. Game is fun, just not stimulating me enough to stick around, thats it.

There isn't a balance. Everyones skill levels and gear ratings etc are so vastly different that a compromise can't be found that way. The only way its going to be found is in allowing every instance (class / planet story / instanced heroics / Story mode flsshpoint ) difficulty level to be based off player choice. Then everyone could play most content at thier difficulty level of choice.

There isn't a balance. Everyones skill levels and gear ratings etc are so vastly different that a compromise can't be found that way. The only way its going to be found is in allowing every instance (class / planet story / instanced heroics / Story mode flsshpoint ) difficulty level to be based off player choice. Then everyone could play most content at thier difficulty level of choice.

Exactly. The problem is two-fold, currently forcing one particular level of play, and fixing it by forcing everyone to play a different of level of difficulty, rather than permitting choice.

Sure there is. This mind set isn't a very ideal one to have. As i said, most if not all players like challenge and this has never changed its human nature no matter what you say or think. The issue is people became accustomed to the current difficulty so the thought of change stirs the pot. People also hate change, that is the biggest obstacle the devs deal with in this community and for that reason I don't expect them to change anything.

I have suggested several time the following:

I have suggested ( many times ) that there be made available the ability to choose a greater ( more flexible) level of difficulty in more areas of the game.

If it is instanced ... it's possible !!

** story mode (just as the title indicates minimal level of difficulty)

** veteran (more like the current SoV level recommended for experienced players looking for more of a challange)

** master (increased difficulty level )

** élite ( totally nuts !! But no doubt "fun" for some players)

These levels could be made available for either group or solo players !!

IN any case IMO we'll never see that much of a change again. KotFE / ET repeatable areas with different levels of difficulty was a great idea. But I also rather suspect that so many people had nothing but contempt for part of the game we'll never see the amount of time and effort required to create that sort of an expansion ever put into the game ever again !

IMO this resolves several issues. It also would provide a better platform to work with the new GS system and the PO's.

This would give the "story mode" for those solo players who really only want the "story" as well as provide a more challenging platform for those who are in GROUP or SOLO situations !!

I liked SoV as it was ... with the exception of the BUGS !!. I also understand that many did not !!

Now the situation has reversed ... but it is essentially the same discussion over "difficulty level".

IN any case ... maybe one day !

Edited by OlBuzzard

Yeah there's no winning. Make something a bit challenging and people complain about it, make something too easy and people complain about it

This is the real problem. Even as we have this thread here, there are other threads where people are describing how challenging - if not near impossible - the Spirit of Vengeance FP is for them. Even after the recent toning down of some mobs.

right. since KOTFE, the instanced story chapter difficulty can be ratcheted up/down. and the open world stuff is cheese b/c that's what all open world content is in these MMORPGs now. what is it he's complaining about? why even mention "class stories" at all? that is 10-years old content. there aren't any class stories after KOTFE.

if anything, I'd say that's the problem. everyone's running the same boring story vs. the vividly different stories in 1.x.

Edited by foxmob

right. since KOTFE, the instanced story chapter difficulty can be ratcheted up/down. and the open world stuff is cheese b/c that's what all open world content is in these MMORPGs now. what is it he's complaining about? why even mention "class stories" at all? that is 10-years old content. there aren't any class stories after KOTFE.

if anything, I'd say that's the problem. everyone's running the same boring story vs. the vividly different stories in 1.x.

except the button doesn't work, you can only change the levels on kotfe & kotet, everything else is what it is. We have asked for the option to select our own difficulty level, but so far it hasn't been answered (or if it has, I missed it)

doesn't work after KOTw/e?

that is strange.

if we're talking about revamping 10-years old class stories with alterable difficulties, go away. concentrate on new content.

Edited by foxmob

Bioware can't win.

Agreed, I'd love to have harder story content (provided that its balanced properly) but solo stuff shouldn't require you to be fully geared in 306, min-maxed to the 9th degree and knowing your rotation to the point where you'd be able to do it on your sleep. Though I do think it should at least tech you the basics of the game's combat and general mechanics, that you should avoid area of attacks, that you should interrupt, killing adds, etc. But not in a "if you don't do this you'll die instantly" because its solo mode. Not master! Solo.

This is the real problem. Even as we have this thread here, there are other threads where people are describing how challenging - if not near impossible - the Spirit of Vengeance FP is for them. Even after the recent toning down of some mobs.

Just yesterday I helped two different people get through the Spirit of Vengeance because they could not finish it alone. Watching them, neither seemed to be bad with their class, they just needed a little help with the final boss fight.

Edited by JonHawke

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.