GTN Price Gouging - make it stop

NakodaTheJedi

no reason lvl 45 gear for lvl 45 characters should be able to sell on the gtn for 1mil lol it's time to start looking into ways once and for all to stop people for insanely over pricing EVERYTHING on the gtn so they can get rich fast instead of playing the game.

This doesn't make the game fun when you grind forever and ever to get an armor set or even have to stoop to their level and find a loser on gtn and flip something to make more money than they should of made to make enough money this is an unpopular opinion and honestly I don't care right and wrong do exist in this world

Right and wrong do exist yes and in my opinion it would be wrong of BioWare to try to regulate the market. I've played games where the economy was controlled by price caps and ... it sucked. Rather than put things up for sale, people would just vendor them because it was more cost effective.

And truth be told, you can level up just fine with drops or quest rewards or shells filled with vendor bought mods. Also crafting is a thing and it's not that hard.

And no, I'm not one of those who puts level 45 gear up for 1 million credits. I just vendor that stuff cause honestly it's not worth putting on the market. Only someone with too much money is going to actually buy it for 1 million credits.

Anyway, if you're on Star Forge, PM me. I can probably craft you some stuff ... provided you haven't already out leveled what you were looking at on the GTN.

It would cost SWTOR money to control the GTN in the game. They would loose income from players buying cartel items to sell for unrealistic prices on the GTN. Just to afford other item in the game. That is how it all work in SWTOR favor or you would see them regulate it.

forget it, "government controlled markets" always fail. it would simply result into absence of such items on GTN, because there is no profit to be made.

besides, there are enough mod vendors on planets and fleet to satisfy minimal gear requirements at all times

as for the problem with credits plummeting in value, well, this game is out for 10 years and there has been no control over bots population. even if to start doing it now, it will simply slow down the "fall" of credits value, nothing can be done in order to return prices to values that don't look ridiculous.

Edited by SilentVoice

no reason lvl 45 gear for lvl 45 characters should be able to sell on the gtn for 1mil lol it's time to start looking into ways once and for all to stop people for insanely over pricing EVERYTHING on the gtn so they can get rich fast instead of playing the game.

This doesn't make the game fun when you grind forever and ever to get an armor set or even have to stoop to their level and find a loser on gtn and flip something to make more money than they should of made to make enough money this is an unpopular opinion and honestly I don't care right and wrong do exist in this world

This translates as, I'm broke, and can't afford anything while other people can. And I demand people play the game my way, not theirs. Fun to some people is crafting, others pvp, and other playing the gtn.

If it's too expensive, move on, buy something you can afford. If it's stat armour you are after, do the heroics, it's less grindy than trying to earn credits to buy the armour.

This has nothing to do with right and wrong, it's capitalism, and unlike the real world, everyone can work your donkey off and make it rich.

that will never happing that bioware is gone controle the GTN market.

there are 3 options you can do:

option 1: buy it for the price there are selling on it or sent the buyer a mail in the game if there wane lower the price maybe.

option 2: ask if somebody can craft then for you but you most pay and give the materials for it so in the end you still pay for it.

and option 3: craft your own mods and stuff and if you not wane pay for the materials then farm then also.

that are 3 options you have to choose from since bioware is not gone do anything about it.

Hmm, so your opinion is that item X (which you want to buy) is worth a certain amount of credits, while someone else who owns that item and is willing to sell it is worth more.

So you ask Bioware to regulate the price of that item, so that the price of the item does not exceed your opinion of what the item is worth.

Pray tell us all, o wise one... what makes your opinion on the price of this particular item more valid than the opinion of any other person?

I mean, if your argument was about something that is available for credits from NPC vendors (tier 1 and 2 companion gifts, for example), I could understand a suggestion that the GTN price for that item is limited and cannot be sold for more than the price from NPC vendors. But for anything that cannot be purcahsed for credits directly from NPC vendors, all you are saying is that your opinion is more valid than anyone else's.

It isn't, actually. It's the meanderings of the free market, and as such it's completely independent of whether the system is otherwise capitalist, mercantilist or whatever.

You're the best dude !! Glad to see someone on their toes !! (refreshing)

OH .. and for OP ..

Just have to some time to work the market and make a few extra credits. With the current armoring system you should be able to not have to invest too heavily into gear until level 65 or so. Even then ... it's amazing what we can get these days running a few solo FP's. Don't be discouraged. Don't give up !! Before you know it you'll get to level 75 and still get some really good drops! OH !! don't forget to try (if you have the time) to collect those CQ items. That will help too ! (and all of those are free).

This translates as, I'm broke, and can't afford anything while other people can. And I demand people play the game my way, not theirs. Fun to some people is crafting, others pvp, and other playing the gtn.

If it's too expensive, move on, buy something you can afford. If it's stat armour you are after, do the heroics, it's less grindy than trying to earn credits to buy the armour.

This has nothing to do with right and wrong, it's capitalism, and unlike the real world, everyone can work your donkey off and make it rich.

no im not broke i was browsing for something i needed and saw that i thought its ridiculous the only reason you need to mod something is your weapons in game these days as you level because you now have that cosmetic look thing i was i have 100m creds (well at the time i did now im broke lol) back at launch price gouging like this was not an issue at all as time goes on with this game it gets worse and worse to justify it is ridiculous capping the amount of credits one can hold may be a solution however because then you know no ones not going to spend all of their credits on one item

no im not broke i was browsing for something i needed and saw that i thought its ridiculous the only reason you need to mod something is your weapons in game these days as you level because you now have that cosmetic look thing i was i have 100m creds (well at the time i did now im broke lol) back at launch price gouging like this was not an issue at all as time goes on with this game it gets worse and worse to justify it is ridiculous capping the amount of credits one can hold may be a solution however because then you know no ones not going to spend all of their credits on one item

Back at launch it wasn't an issue because no one had much money. If you actually wanted to sell something, you weren't going to charge 1 million credits because no one in the game had that much yet. The game is 10 years old now. In a game where money is infinitely available you're going to have inflation (unless there are really punishing credit sinks).

By the way, there is a cap on the amount of credits a character can hold. Just because you personally haven't reached doesn't mean there isn't one.

I sincerely doubt many level 45 characters are buying gear from the market. Sure, it might happen but probably not often. Drops from kills, quest rewards, mod vendors, crafting ... there are multiple ways for lower level characters to get gear that is good enough to get them to 75 and leveling speed being what it is, characters aren't likely to stay at level 45 for very long.

Explain to me how they are meant to make it stop?

And honestly, with the amount of gear that drops in the game, you shouldn’t even need to buy crafted lvl 45 items.

If you don’t want to pay the prices listed on the GTN, then learn to craft yourself and make the stuff. Problem solved.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Exactly ...and as people are willing to pay for them, other people will sell them for it

Yep. It actually amazes me how much people are willing to pay for stuff on the GTN.

I “parked” some excess crafted items on the GTN for 1 billion credits last week cause I ran out of storage room while I was trying to sort out the guild bank. I had no intention of selling them at that price, but guess what, I logged in the next day to find I’d sold 2 at a billion a pop.

These items usually sell for 100,000 and I sold them for 1,000,000,000. You also can’t say they made a mistake when they bought them because there are now coma’s there to show you it’s a billion vs hundred thousand. So whoever bought them, thank you :D

Yep. It actually amazes me how much people are willing to pay for stuff on the GTN.

I “parked” some excess crafted items on the GTN for 1 billion credits last week cause I ran out of storage room while I was trying to sort out the guild bank. I had no intention of selling them at that price, but guess what, I logged in the next day to find I’d sold 2 at a billion a pop.

These items usually sell for 100,000 and I sold them for 1,000,000,000. You also can’t say they made a mistake when they bought them because there are now coma’s there to show you it’s a billion vs hundred thousand. So whoever bought them, thank you :D

lol, I might just start parking things at a billion, just to see if they sell...lol

lol, I might just start parking things at a billion, just to see if they sell...lol

As weird as it sounds many people make mistakes. I once sold a very common item for 2 million just because I didnt realize I had 2 extra zeros at the end of the price. So things like that sure happen

... is there any under-60 gear that's actually better (stat-wise) than purple flashpoint drops or blue heroic drops? I assumed people were buying the under-60 stuff for the looks (I'm not super-interested, but some of my much richer guildies are very eager for certain low-level world-drops). The prices are obviously because it's legitimately scarce, due to people leveling out of its drop-range very quickly.

If you're in the process of leveling up, your right-side and hands can easily be filled by buying cheap legacy-bound moddable gear at the adaptive gear vendor and putting components in from the vendors in the supplies quadrant of the fleet.

Left-side is the only mildly difficult part, and for that I recommend heroics (from the combat quadrant, drops blue gear)

... is there any under-60 gear that's actually better (stat-wise) than purple flashpoint drops or blue heroic drops? I assumed people were buying the under-60 stuff for the looks (I'm not super-interested, but some of my much richer guildies are very eager for certain low-level world-drops). The prices are obviously because it's legitimately scarce, due to people leveling out of its drop-range very quickly.

If you're in the process of leveling up, your right-side and hands can easily be filled by buying cheap legacy-bound moddable gear at the adaptive gear vendor and putting components in from the vendors in the supplies quadrant of the fleet.

Left-side is the only mildly difficult part, and for that I recommend heroics (from the combat quadrant, drops blue gear)

Like Steve said, it’s pretty irrelevant stat wise while lvling. But there are some interesting outfits or looks you can collect for outfitter to play space barbies.

Mandalorian looking gear is selling pretty well at the moment and jedi gear does too. Sadly, most people just trash sell it at vendors without considering the potential for outfitter designs and the lure or space barbies.