Season 13 and the Future of PvP

ChrisSchmidt

And then everyone reports you and you get banned from the game. Sounds like a win win to me.

Sounds like you really believe in banns (especially in useless regs) in this game. Naive guy, there are tonnes of wintraders, cheaters, hackers, bot users who never gets banned. Devs can't give banns for such minor things like running in wrong direction. This is my right to run with a ball whenever i want. Who are you to restrict my movement rights? I will sue you for restricting my right to freely run where i want. And the ball carrier can always have an excuse for running into his own gates "ooops, my mistake didn't notice", "ooops, i have a bad eye sight", "ooops, i was drunk", "i have color blind illness" etc.

If devs want to ruin players game experience, players will respond as it is. Maybe you will also bann those who goes for death match? Or doesn't care about objectives 😂😂?

Edited by omaan

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I know. I am not the hero here, but I am human and I can get annoyed and primitive just like anyone.

As I said, I mostly just leave as I don't care to be on either side of a premade and I haven't played 75 regs for years.

It just shows how easy a non-toxic person can be dragged into toxicity. Which is why, the lazy sit and wait and compile proof on cheaters after a season in ranked doesn't work.

It also doesn't work not responding to trolls in regs dayd after the occurrence happened! But details aside, BW isn't interested in providing the game with quality matches free of cheats and trolls, not as soon as possible, anyway. Which is a big flaw in their system of trying to put an end to toxic behavior.

We all understand bad apples can ruin the cart. The fact is when the cart is rotten itself and falling apart, the apples aren't safe in this predicament either, no matter if all the apples are perfect! SWTOR is a rotten cart.

BW's disciplinary protocols are ineffective. If they were half as diligent as they are policing these forums in the game with moderators like they do on the forums we'd have a really clean running game with very little trollish cheating behaviors.

Edited by Lhancelot

*gasps in utter disbelief* How dare players group and play together with their friends. Ughh and they're actually all good too, the audacity!! This cannot stand BioWare. Please make it so that nobody can queue together, unless of course I am better than them, then it is ok. But, If I by chance get put into one of these games where the other team is grouped and better than me I will not try to win because it is so unfair I will just try to ruin it for everyone else because if life isn't fair for me it shouldn't be fair for anyone. In fact from now on every game ever made should not allow players to play together, Especially if they are good!!! Screw it I think that is how America should be too, everything fair, easy, and equal.

Despite the fact many players hate premades, running in a premade is not against ToS and totally ok for an MMO game. One if main features of any mmo is grouping with others. However, providing deserter to force single players to fight against premades is disgusting. As players have a right to run premades, other players must have a right to quit the match against those who runs a premade. Forcing those who dislikes premades to play against a premade is totally unfair. Let players run premades but also let others a choice not to fight against these premades by leaving the match

Despite the fact many players hate premades, running in a premade is not against ToS and totally ok for an MMO game. One if main features of any mmo is grouping with others. However, providing deserter to force single players to fight against premades is disgusting. As players have a right to run premades, other players must have a right to quit the match against those who runs a premade. Forcing those who dislikes premades to play against a premade is totally unfair. Let players run premades but also let others a choice not to fight against these premades by leaving the match

It's crazy how bad players are now though. Premades are probably 100 times better nowadays whereas in the past you had many quality solo queued players. I wouldn't be surprised if most vets are grouping now so when you find a premade in regs, it's higher skilled vets. In all honesty the skill level is really low in regs right now I thought it was an exaggeration it's not. This isn't a fault of premades tbh, it's a fault of a lacking population and practiced PVPers.

Hey Friends,

We hear you that you would rather choose which maps or modes to play, to avoid the ones you don’t like and play what is the most fun for you. In particular, Odessen Proving Grounds comes up often as one of the least popular modes, in particular in Unranked since it can be difficult to coordinate team play in a random queue situation.

The exception is OPG, which we hear from y’all is the least popular match type currently. We aren’t removing it completely from the rotation for now, but the likelihood that match type will pop will be very small. Longer term we will take a hard look and address the issues with OPG that makes it less popular.

:csw_jabbapet:

Don't know, once you understand how OPG works it is one of (if not) the best map in the game. I love a hard ending 10 points win in OPG and it can happen more often then you think. Also OPG is one of the few WZs which you can have a disadvantage of 150 points (a round) and still be able to win the game.

So please one hundred of OPGs which is a much clever map then a VS and or CW.

What OPG needs is the advantage certain classes have like Snipers which cannot be interrupted in spamming the buffs.

1. No advantage to any class for spamming buffs

2. A map detail which shows available buff points

3? idea make buffs not RNG and put all four available in different points????

Beside this it is a near perfect map. Just IMO.

Just as a side note I add that is not the only map which needs adjustment to create a level playing field.

HB needs a couple too, as for a example a Stealth scanner in goal side, and speed abilities being disallowed with ball.

Just my 2 cent as som1 which just plays PvP each time he logs in Swtor.

Edited by limenutpen

Well, now that we got all of that out of the way, whats next on the agenda?

Fix more bugs?

Fix skill queue balancing Or remove it?

Reinvigorate lowbies and Mids as an attractive way (with incentives) to lvl up characters?

I’ve a long wish list, should I continue?,

They instead run in a gank group to farm numbers as if winning doesn’t matter and only how “big” your epeen is.

You do realize these premades are just looking to have fun too right? After a certain point of playing every single warzone hundreds if not thousands of times over, people sometimes just want to have fun getting kills with their friends. Nobody in those groups have anything to prove. They're just there for the joy of playing swtor with some friends.

Pvpers can change the outcome of a match a lot easier in a group than if by themselves especially if they're in a voice chat. Premades aren't as evil and degenerative as you make them out to be either. Oftentimes in my group, we first talk to then invite players that were doing well in the last matches. Its a pretty easy way to make friends with pvpers.

From my experience, most of the heavily toxic players in pvp usually do have something to prove, and thats because they've made such a bad reputation for themselves by being toxic that no one will form a group with them or even give them tips. These guys get so heavily invested in the outcome of matches that they forget its a game, and we're all just here to have fun. For those toxic players, its reached the point where they want to prove their worth to themselves and everyone else.

Edited by Llacertus

Don't know, once you understand how OPG works it is one of (if not) the best map in the game. I love a hard ending 10 points win in OPG and it can happen more often then you think. Also OPG is one of the few WZs which you can have a disadvantage of 150 points (a round) and still be able to win the game.

So please one hundred of OPGs which is a much clever map then a VS and or CW.

What OPG needs is the advantage certain classes have like Snipers which cannot be interrupted in spamming the buffs.

1. No advantage to any class for spamming buffs

2. A map detail which shows available buff points

3? idea make buffs not RNG and put all four available in different points????

Beside this it is a near perfect map. Just IMO.

Just as a side note I add that is not the only map which needs adjustment to create a level playing field.

HB needs a couple too, as for a example a Stealth scanner in goal side, and speed abilities being disallowed with ball.

Just my 2 cent as som1 which just plays PvP each time he logs in Swtor.

My best PVP games with very tight results with incredible turn around of game outcomes were all OPG's . Yes, as strange as it's sounds to some people here, it's actually true. ;)

Note: In the update kicking off Season 13, all missions will be changed to require wins for completion and rewards.

Presumably this isn't for solo ranked? Because that would, y'know, but the single worst change you could make and almost certainly kill ranked PvP in a single update...

Whoever came up with that idea should be fired -_-

No, they should be given a raise. The original daily and weeklies required a win back in the day. It was stupid to change it to participation because people stopped caring after that.

Presumably this isn't for solo ranked? Because that would, y'know, but the single worst change you could make and almost certainly kill ranked PvP in a single update...

Why on earth would it kill ranked pvp? It's not as if anyone should be playing ranked specifically to complete dailies/weeklies or to get mats/tech frags. Those things are incidental. Ranked is a competitive game mode where you should be playing to win every match already. This change should make no difference whatsoever for the vast majority of ranked players.

For regs, I think there's a decent chance it will actually change behavior a bit for the better, but we'll see.

Why on earth would it kill ranked pvp? It's not as if anyone should be playing ranked specifically to complete dailies/weeklies or to get mats/tech frags

In theory yes, you are of course correct, but this will only make a low population even lower. I would assume that most people doing ranked are solely doing it for PvP and not the rewards, but a small minority might be incentivized to try it with a mindset of "at least I get some rewards even if I fail". You could argue it being a question of quantity vs. quality, but can we really be picky?

Was it not the rewards that revitalized group ranked a few years back? The quality obviously took a nose-dive, but at least it was active no?

Why on earth would it kill ranked pvp? It's not as if anyone should be playing ranked specifically to complete dailies/weeklies or to get mats/tech frags. Those things are incidental. Ranked is a competitive game mode where you should be playing to win every match already. This change should make no difference whatsoever for the vast majority of ranked players.

For regs, I think there's a decent chance it will actually change behavior a bit for the better, but we'll see.

Nice joke. Compare season 10 when we had old quests and mats with seasons 11-12. Season 11 was dead for legit players and every team ranked participant wintraded top titles in team ranked. Team ranked was a joke full of "kick balls" and wintrading. Same happened in season 12 yet thanks to new win requirement only few wintraders managed to get their hands on rewards. However, Mike B. already confirmed in his forum posts that they will tweak the win requirement for ranked depending on "situation" which means that win requirement will not be a problem any longer so we return back to season 11 wintrading state. In season 10 we had tonnes of teams and legit players farming each other, fighting to farm mat farmers, sniping each other etc. There was no place for wintraders during those times and all of those who got their rewards were legit teams.

Regarding solo ranked, i personally don't see any big differences among seasons 10-12. However, season 10 was still better because it had much more pops and participation. The amount of vote kick abuses was much less compared to seasons 11-12. Funny thing to note that quest changes and mats removal only made solo ranked even more toxic and have increased the number of vote kicks overall.

Summing up, it is obvious that seasons 11-12 were much worse compared to season 10. And Mike's statement on "tweaking" number of wins required for ranked rewards is HIGHLY disturbing. This will mean returning back to team ranked wintraders geting their hands on all rewards with like 50 wins and 1400 elo because team ranked will be empty again

Edited by omaan

I'm guessing you don't play ranked at all? Most people are definitely playing to complete the daily/weekly for the reward currency. That's the whole point. I don't know anyone who plays ranked because they find it fun. As for trying to win? Of course people are trying to win, but when you're consistently matched with bad team mates and/or against a superior group composition (I've been on a nearly full melee team vs a full ranged team more times than is acceptable).

If losing gives you absolutely nothing aside from damage to your rating, why waste your time playing? People have other **** to do than spend most of the day trying to complete a single daily using a broken matchmaking system. We're going to see a massive drop-off of people playing ranked once this goes live because for a lot of people, it simply won't be possible to consistently complete the daily.

Ranked is a horrible environment, now it's a horrible environment where you get nothing for the time and effort you put in. The fact that the people running this *****how can't see this blows my mind.

No, they should be given a raise. The original daily and weeklies required a win back in the day. It was stupid to change it to participation because people stopped caring after that.

Enjoy your dead queues. No rewards = no incentives = people stop queuing.

but a small minority might be incentivized to try it with a mindset of "at least I get some rewards even if I fail". You could argue it being a question of quantity vs. quality, but can we really be picky?

Most of those people are the ones coming in undergeared and ruining games. If the win requirement keeps them out, that's another pro, not a con.

I'm guessing you don't play ranked at all?

More like I queue ranked the most of anyone that plays on SF...

Most people are definitely playing to complete the daily/weekly for the reward currency. That's the whole point. I don't know anyone who plays ranked because they find it fun. As for trying to win? Of course people are trying to win, but when you're consistently matched with bad team mates and/or against a superior group composition (I've been on a nearly full melee team vs a full ranged team more times than is acceptable).

Name a good player that only plays ranked to complete dailies and weeklies. I've never heard of such a thing. It also sounds like you don't belong in ranked to be honest. If you don't find it fun, you should find another game to play.

If losing gives you absolutely nothing aside from damage to your rating, why waste your time playing? People have other **** to do than spend most of the day trying to complete a single daily using a broken matchmaking system. We're going to see a massive drop-off of people playing ranked once this goes live because for a lot of people, it simply won't be possible to consistently complete the daily.

It won't be possible to complete the daily? If you lose that much, you shouldn't be able to complete the daily. Why do you feel entitled to quest completion for losses anyway? As other have pointed out, this is just returning to how it was in the past.

You're just projecting your own weird psychosis onto the rest of the ranked community. Why do you even care about ranked rewards when you find ranked so unpleasant? Not to mention, if you were even moderately successful in ranked, you wouldn't be worried about the win requirement at all. The dailies and weeklies take care of themselves if you're playing to win and having fun, as everyone should be.

There will be no massive drop off due to this change. If anything, it will improve the quality of ranked by weeding out those that are only in it for the daily/weekly rewards and tokens. That's a very good thing.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Most of those people are the ones coming in undergeared and ruining games. If the win requirement keeps them out, that's another pro, not a con.

Again, with a healthy population yes we agree, but I am not so sure it's a luxury we can afford. Ranked needs to attract more players one way or the other, and with the amount of matches you play, it should even out over time anyway :p

Again, with a healthy population yes we agree, but I am not so sure it's a luxury we can afford. Ranked needs to attract more players one way or the other, and with the amount of matches you play, it should even out over time anyway :p

It does even out in terms of wins and losses, but it's still annoying when the matches themselves are ruined. Plus then I have to deal with the morons that want to kick them at the earliest opportunity, which is like dealing with toddlers throwing tantrums.

As much as we all want more people to queue for ranked, new people should take ranked seriously, or at least show some basic human respect to the people that play it regularly. That means gearing up properly and practicing in regs a decent amount before venturing into ranked. That's really all I ask, and I don't think it's too much.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Name a good player that only plays ranked to complete dailies and weeklies. I've never heard of such a thing. It also sounds like you don't belong in ranked to be honest. If you don't find it fun, you should find another game to play.

It won't be possible to complete the daily? If you lose that much, you shouldn't be able to complete the daily. Why do you feel entitled to quest completion for losses anyway? As other have pointed out, this is just returning to how it was in the past.

You're just projecting your own weird psychosis onto the rest of the ranked community. Why do you even care about ranked rewards when you find ranked so unpleasant? Not to mention, if you were even moderately successful in ranked, you wouldn't be worried about the win requirement at all. The dailies and weeklies take care of themselves if you're playing to win and having fun, as everyone should be.

There will be no massive drop off due to this change. If anything, it will improve the quality of ranked by weeding out those that are only in it for the daily/weekly rewards and tokens. That's a very good thing.

The elitism is strong in this one...

How often I win depends entirely on the group. Some days I win 2 matches back to back and that's the daily done, others I'll lose a load then win one to finish the daily. You can try and spin what I've said into making me sound bad all you like, but the fact is wins are random. Classes are not balanced, so those playing the better classes will win. You get a bad player on your team, you lose. So you can crawl out your arse and stop pretending like you're some super-skilled pro and everyone else needs to 'git gud'. Ranked is a **** system, this just makes it worse. I'm not spending all of my free time hoping I get matched with a decent group just to complete a single daily mission. Grinding I was ok with, RNG? No thanks.

As for why I dislike ranked; that's because of obnoxious 'l33t gamers' like you. I play for the rewards, same as many do- you've 'never heard of such a thing' because, quite frankly, you're a liar- rewards are an incentive to play, why pretend that isn't the case?

Ranked is a toxic cesspit of abuse and hostility and if you play ranked, you know that's the truth. Every game, someone throws a load of abuse at someone else, win or lose. There's always someone poised to complain about someone for some reason, justified or not. I'd much rather play for rewards via regs but because of people like you, who want exclusives so you can show everyone how awesome you are, there're no rewards for playing regular warzones whatsoever.

If you think this won't negatively impact the queues you're living in a fantasy world. Nobody likes wasting their time for no return. But, by all means, keep working that spin.

Nope, as i wrote in my last post comparing seasons 10-12, these two are right and you are wrong. No incentives = less pops or dead queue. Iam also adding to this formula less pops or dead queues = easy way for wintraders to get their hands on rewards. There are few players who play ranked for fun without caring about rewards. NEVERTHELESS, MAJORITY of players queue it only to get gold/platinum rewards or complete their daylies/weeklies. Removing these incentives leads to lower pops, dead queues etc. You say "There will be no massive drop off due to this change." But we already bearing witness and enjoying fruits after all those changes devs made to quests and rewards in ranked: SF ranked is dying, the amount of pops has fallen significantly during pre-season 13 and considerably during seasons 11-12. Pops on DM are still better yet also dropped drastically compared to seasons 9-10. Team ranked fully turned into dead wintrading field with no place for legit players on all servers. Many top rewards in solo ranked on pub side were taken by noobs with only 1300-1400 rating due to small participation in season 12.

You say that these changes pushing out bad or undergeared players? Wrong because their number didn't fall since season 10. We still see same amounts of noobs and undergeared players in ranked but with much lower amount of matches and pops now.

It becomes more and more obvious for everyone that mostly all changes made to both sr and tr after season 10 only made things worse. We see the consequences of all this now and we will see worse when devs will start tweaking the number of wins needed for rewards as they promised.

but the fact is wins are random. Classes are not balanced, so those playing the better classes will win.

There are only two explanations for you holding this opinion. You are either very bad, so it makes you feel better to believe this, or you are simply delusional. How is it possible for the better players to get high ratings every season if it's totally "random"? It's such a stupid claim, I don't even really want to go further disputing it. As for class balance, it's pretty good at the moment. Every class has a spec that is totally viable, except arguably dps juggs, but even they can do okay in the right circumstances.

I'm not spending all of my free time hoping I get matched with a decent group just to complete a single daily mission. Grinding I was ok with, RNG? No thanks.

Then please stop queueing, I promise no one will miss someone with your attitude in ranked.

As for why I dislike ranked; that's because of obnoxious 'l33t gamers' like you. I play for the rewards, same as many do- you've 'never heard of such a thing' because, quite frankly, you're a liar- rewards are an incentive to play, why pretend that isn't the case?

Rewards are just that...rewards for good play. It's nice to get rewards when you succeed at something, but that shouldn't be the primary reason you do something. Do you think Olympic athletes train and compete literally for the medals, so that they can hang them around their necks? No, they compete for the satisfaction of winning/achieving their goals in a competitive sport, and possibly for recognition/money, etc. The medal is a reward that can symbolize those things, but it isn't literally the reason they compete.

But even if you are in it solely for the rewards...the rewards are still here for you...you just need to win games. Why do you think you deserve rewards for losing?

Ranked is a toxic cesspit of abuse and hostility and if you play ranked, you know that's the truth.

No, that is not the truth. There are certain toxic individuals that can sometimes make games unpleasant. The most toxic player on SF was permabanned twice (though I believe he's been back on a third account). Another toxic, and racist, player was banned from queueing ranked last season. Vote kicking was out of control on SF for a big chunk of the season, but I'm hoping Bioware does something about that for next season.

I'd much rather play for rewards via regs but because of people like you, who want exclusives so you can show everyone how awesome you are, there're no rewards for playing regular warzones whatsoever.

So wait, you're the one saying you play only for rewards, but I'm the one that wants exclusive rewards to show off? I would play ranked even if there was nothing but flairs and titles as rewards.

If you think this won't negatively impact the queues you're living in a fantasy world. Nobody likes wasting their time for no return. But, by all means, keep working that spin.

It's amazing that you can be so delusional. You think that the way you view ranked is universal. But you're clearly just an angry, jaded, unsuccessful ranked player that is mad you can't get rewards for losing games. Anyone that is capable of winning games on a regular basis in ranked will have no issues whatsoever with this change. Seriously, you should go play a different game.

Nope, as i wrote in my last post comparing seasons 10-12, these two are right and you are wrong. No incentives = less pops or dead queue.

You realize they actually increased the rewards for daily/weekly completion for both solo and group ranked right? They have actually increased incentives. We're talking about the win requirement for completing them, which doesn't reduce incentives at all. But this guy apparently struggles so much to get wins in ranked that he thinks adding a win requirement is a bad idea lol.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

There are only two explanations for you holding this opinion. You are either very bad, so it makes you feel better to believe this, or are simply delusional. How is it possible for the better players to get high ratings every season if it's totally "random"? It's such a stupid claim, I don't even really want to go further disputing it. As for class balance, it's pretty good at the moment. Every class has a spec that is totally viable, except arguably dps juggs, but even they can do okay in the right circumstances.

Then please stop queueing, I promise no one will miss someone with your attitude in ranked.

Rewards are just that...rewards for good play. It's nice to get rewards when you succeed at something, but that shouldn't be the primary reason you do something. Do you think Olympic athletes train and compete literally for the medals, so that they can hang them around their necks? No, they compete for the satisfaction of winning in a competitive sport, and possibly for recognition/money, etc. The medal is a reward that can symbolize those things, but it isn't literally the reason they compete.

No, that is not the truth. There are certain toxic individuals that can sometimes make games unpleasant. The most toxic player on SF was permabanned twice (though I believe he's been back on a third account). Another toxic, and racist, player was banned from queueing ranked last season. Vote kicking was out of control on SF for a big chunk of the season, but I'm hoping Bioware does something about that for next season.

So wait, you're the one saying you play only for rewards, but I'm the one that wants exclusive rewards to show off? I would play ranked even if there was nothing but flairs and titles as rewards.

It's amazing that you can be so delusional. You think that the way you view ranked is universal. But you're clearly just an angry, jaded, unsuccessful ranked player that is mad you can't get rewards for losing games. Seriously, you should go play a different game.

You realize they actually increased the rewards for daily/weekly completion for both solo and group ranked right? We're talking about the win requirement for completing them, which doesn't reduce incentives at all. But this guy apparently struggles so much to get wins in ranked that he thinks adding a win requirement is a bad idea lol.

Yeah i realise that he probably wants quests to provide rewards for both wins or lose (even if with wins you get rewards much faster compared to loses) because he is not able to get quest finished as fast as he wants (struggles). Yet both him and lundorf made a good point that while quests won't provide possibility to get rewards even for losing we will continue to see ranked dying. Players are willing to queue ranked knowing that even if they fail they will still get some minor rewards: mats, gear boxes etc. Of course such players doesn't deserve gold or top 96 rewards due to their low skills yet if quests will require ONLY wins, most of players WON'T EVEN BOTHER trying ranked. They will simply go farming hammer station or dxun without any chances becoming pvp players. After seasons 11-12 it is clear that ranked can't function only when it provides even small rewards like mats or loot boxes only for those who can win enough matches (especially considering that some of ranked quests require 50 wins lol). The quantity of experienced and skilled ranked players is in minority and most of us quiting swtor pretty fast....ranked must be opened for everyone or it will die (team ranked is dead already and solo ranked is dying).

Besides, removing mats from ranked didn't pushed out noobs and undergeared bads as expected. They still queue solo ranked as it was before in nearly same quantity just because queueing solo ranked is easy (no need to form a team). Removing mats and changes to quests only helped wintraders to conquer team ranked.

TIME to remove pink glasses and admit that there is nothing perfect in this world (especially in swtor). You can't create ranked with no queue dodgers, no wintraders, no noobs/undergeared players, perfect matchmaking and FAST POPS nearly 24/7 at the same time. You will have to sacrifice something in order to achieve something else.

What we have now is: dead team ranked, solo ranked pops dropping significantly, noob Scoundrels, commandos and other pub classes getting top 96 rewards with only 1300-1400 elo and 200 wins in solo ranked, same trolls, undergeared noobs queuing solo ranked, vote kick abuses. This is catastrophic...time to admit it and return back to previous incentive system which would bring more players and more pops both in tr and sr but with keeping 200 win requirement without tweaking it as Mike B is planning.

Edited by omaan