WHY did Bioware nerf the companions so much?

Slowpokeking

repeated comment type answered already so just going to cut and paste my reply

1. no one is taking hardcores fun away ... its bioware and hardcore who are discriminating against easy mode players .

Hogwash. I am not a hardcore. I just try to play my class well.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not responding to any more hardcore rants .... if you can't the understand the * FACTS * explained regarding the difference between hardcore and easy mode or be bothered to any of the posts in this thread explaining it and understand the facts ..that is your issue.

this is a fact and can't be disputed.

Hardcore and group player can both solve their own problems at the player level

Yet with level sync , stat caps/ diminishing returns and open world mob buffs ...

There is NOTHING a player who wants the game EASIER can do to make it easier

if you want to tell me how i can make the game easier ( other than L2P type answers or " class guides" ) like I have give examples on how you can make the game harder that did not include either of those I Would love to hear them.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

not responding to any more hardcore rants .... if you can't the FACTS regarding the difference between hardcore and easy mode or be bothered to any of my posts in this thread and understand the facts ..that is your issue.

I think in fact, it's YOUR issue.

repeated comment type answered already so just going to cut and paste my reply

1. no one is taking hardcores fun away ... its bioware and hardcore who are discriminating against easy mode players .

So no one is taking fun away when you and others are telling me, that I should passive my comps that are auto summoned and active again every time I come out of a cut scene, that I can't stop from gaining influence and thus from getting stronger. Telling me to start a new legacy with mere 3 servers left, not to join guilds to avoid the XP buffs, avoid resting areas, avoid grouping and FPs, because I might get too much XP for staying underleveled, to not use the abilities with those nice looking animations but only the basic default attack, because oops those others do too much damage...

I have no problem with not wearing gear and making some effort for my own challenge, but there is making your own challenge and there is crippling the game until there isn't any game left to play.

On the other hand, you apparently can't be bothered to use what there is to make the game easier for you, cause if companions are still able to heal you solo through Vet FPs and as others wrote even Master mode, the companions are still strong enough for everything you can do solo.

That's something I always cannot understand.

Why do these ppl care so much about others being able to do something or not? What does it have to do with you ppl? Who are you to mess up with others' fun? You have your content, you have your option. You are in no place to destroy ppl's fun.

THIS is not raid, not hard mode content, this is Solo content and SM, why does some ppl want it to be so hard since they were not designed to be so? Even if you want you can take off gear and dismiss companion to do so.

So no one is taking fun away when you and others are telling me, that I should passive my comps that are auto summoned and active again every time I come out of a cut scene, that I can't stop from gaining influence and thus from getting stronger. Telling me to start a new legacy with mere 3 servers left, not to join guilds to avoid the XP buffs, avoid resting areas, avoid grouping and FPs, because I might get too much XP for staying underleveled, to not use the abilities with those nice looking animations but only the basic default attack, because oops those others do too much damage...

I have no problem with not wearing gear and making some effort for my own challenge, but there is making your own challenge and there is crippling the game until there isn't any game left to play.

On the other hand, you apparently can't be bothered to use what there is to make the game easier for you, cause if companions are still able to heal you solo through Vet FPs and as others wrote even Master mode, the companions are still strong enough for everything you can do solo.

Yes, if that's what cost to be fun, I wouldn't mind to do it. Why is it so hard for you?

He can however change he's gear accordingly but choices not to, so instead ruins someone else's game play.

you truly believe gear makes a difference in the story gameplay? I just leveled a scoundrel from 65 to 75 without changing her into better gear once. She had the very old pvp set that used to have expertise, 208 I think, and sailed through everything (I didn't expect otherwise nor was I bothered by it). I haven't bothered with gear while leveling new characters since level sync was introduced either. What's the next suggestion? Remove skills from the quickbar to use only one attack and no defensive abilities ever?

Also, this nerfing of companions is greatly exaggerated. They're actually doing a little more dps in healing stance now, due to the slightly longer cooldowns and the fact that they can't spam their channel heal anymore. They also can't completely waste their bigger heal when it's not needed, so that's actually a positive.

As DPS they are untouched, still as good (or as bad, depending on who you summon) as ever. I haven't used them enough as tanks before or after but the only changes were done to their healing so they should be exactly the same.

Well you see, that's not true. Not everybody enjoys it when it's THAT easy. I certainly didnd't enjoy it and I do enjoy the gameplay better now. Point is that every change will be good for some and bad for others. There is no pleasing everyone and it wasn't fun for everyone before. It never will be for everyone.

What do you want me say? You want me to have less fun so you can have more fun. So you were building on other people's pain as such. Are you seriously going to tell me that you were concerned for people like myself who didn't enjoy it because it was so easy? Of course not. Bottom line is that in the previous expansion it wasn't fun for me. Now it's more fun for me. Am I not allowed to enjoy this game? Cause in the end if they were to make it easier again, I wouldn't enjoy it.

But the "Story Mode" should be a HUGE CLUE here.

Story Mode is there so ALL players can experience The Story.

Ergo it should be "easier" content than FPs, OPs etc.

If you don't like the easier challenge of Story Mode then guess what the solution is - don't play Story Mode.

Most of the time I don't enjoy the harder challenge of Hard-Mode, or OPs - but I get that a lot of players do.

So instead of demanding that OPs and Hard Mode be made easier so I can Solo it, I do the ONLY logical thing - I chose not to play HM and OPs.

Surely that isn't too hard to grasp, is it?

All The Best

And remove the health stations in solo mode.

Why are you trying to take the fun from solo players? There are solo content and MMORPG nowadays shouldn't be about forcing ppl to group for a lot of content.

because I could complete the game while being on the phone with my companion killing off everything in the meantime.

Doable solo? Yes. For most. People with disabilities are struggling.

Turned into an annoying grind fest since the lsst update compaired to before the update? Also yes. Don't recall asking for a grind fest as part of my solo 'content'.

Are some parts still BROKEN to the point of some being unable to advance the story? Also yes. Iokath walker, although better then it was, is STILL buggy. Was reported on test but went live bugged and still aint fixed right.

What I don't recall is most us casuals ever asking for this mess.

This pretty much sums it up. All the changes have done is introduced bugs and made the game more of a grind. Grind does not equate to "fun".

I still preferred the game prior to level sync, if you wanted an OP companion you had to gear that companion accordingly. Equally said, levelling actually meant something more than just gaining a few more stats and new gear to play the latest content, you could revisit older parts of the game and actually play around a bit without too much concern and work on achievements or just explore without low level mobs becoming a constant pain in the backside.

Edited by Transcendent

But the "Story Mode" should be a HUGE CLUE here.

Story Mode is there so ALL players can experience The Story.

Ergo it should be "easier" content than FPs, OPs etc.

If you don't like the easier challenge of Story Mode then guess what the solution is - don't play Story Mode.

Most of the time I don't enjoy the harder challenge of Hard-Mode, or OPs - but I get that a lot of players do.

So instead of demanding that OPs and Hard Mode be made easier so I can Solo it, I do the ONLY logical thing - I chose not to play HM and OPs.

All The Best

What really ticks me off is when people mix things up themselves and then act like I don't get it. It's disappointing that you do this as well. I will try to explain it again in the hopes that you do get the difference.

The OP said that SM means that it should be easy for everyone. I think there are two problems with that statement.

First of all it's his opinion, I have yet to see a statement from BioWare that says exactly that. Why? Because even though it should be POSSIBLE for pretty much everyone to complete Story Mode that's NOT the same as EASY for pretty much everyone. If you say Story Mode implies it should be possible to complete by casual players I do agree with that but not that it should be easy for the laziest person who doesn't care to use more than two skills or learn any basic combat rules like stepping outside of damage circles and maybe kill the healer mob first when you have a hard time killing mobs.

That is the essential difference and that's why I object to the notion that it should be EASY for everyone. Now I'm not saying that it should be really tough for casual players but I do find it fair to expect them to at least learn some basics about combat so that the lowest common denominator doesn't become so low that combat becomes meaningless for a lot of people. That is essentially what he is proposing.

Secondly, the problem is that what you say Story Mode should mean and what we can derive from the term is not what BioWare has done with it. So even if you say "Story Mode" means easy for everyone, that's not actually what BioWare has delivered. That's why I mentioned a boss fight like Master and Blaster in STORY MODE which casuals regularly fail at still. And you should also know that Story Mode has different meanings to begin with when it comes to content. In FPs it means solo, in Operations it's an easy mode but not consistently. Again you know that not just Ravagers but also ToS, Gods and EC are not favourites among the more casual raiders. And then there are also FPs that are very different in difficulty as well. So really BW does not support the view that the OP has on what SM means in SWTOR. Reality disproves it.

So here's the thing: no matter what you say the term means, BioWare has not delivered that across the board. Even the KotFE/ET chapters have quite a bit of variation in difficulty. And to top it off you can bring friends in chapters and solo FPs in case you can't complete it. Which tells you right there they accept that solo content can be too hard for some people and therefore automatically is not easy for everyone. This is a logical conclusion and is regularly offered as a suggestion as well to people who come to the forum and have difficulty with such solo content for whatever reasons.

----

So no, SM definitely does NOT mean it's supposed to be easy for everyone but I agree it does mean that for the vast majority of players it should not be too difficult. Again easy and not too difficult do NOT mean the same thing. It's odd to me that I have to emphasize such things but apparently I have to.

It's up to you Spuds. But if people cannot understand the difference between what they think something should mean and what it actually means, I'm sorry but can't help there. Also if people cannot understand the difference between easy and possible (meaning of reasonably difficulty) for everyone, I have to feel bad for you. But don't then come to me and say I don't understand what SM means.

I understand all to well what SM means in game, what the OP means with it and those two are not the same. I also do not agree with the view of the OP because it's an opinion. And opinions are not facts. And whatever Story Mode means or should mean is up for debate quite simply because the game does NOT have a clear definition of this.

M&B should have been easier, sure.

SM is designed for ppl to go through, that's why other modes exist.

It doesn't end there. Ravagers, ToS, EC and Gods are all ops that regularly have problems in SM. FPs also have wildly different difficulties. That's why when the harder ones come up in Veteran Mode (whichs is really Story Mode for groups) people quit when they see it's a harder one because they do want the reward from randoms but not do the content that's "not easy". So also there SM doesn't mean that it's easy for everyone. BW simply hasn't delived on what you want SM to be.

You can, take off the gear and dismiss the companion.

And you can get your companions to influence 50 and learn some basic combat rules that make things a lot easier. So again, you are just the elitist casual that wants everyone else to change and adapt for you. So you're no better than anyone else here.

Again, your definition of what SM means is your own. It's not a holy truth. It's not a fact. It's just your opinion. I have a different one and that's ok. But when I look at what BioWare have done in SWTOR when it comes to Story Mode, the game simply does NOT support your opinion and it never has.

I'd rather deal with what's real at this point. BioWare should first have a consistent definition of what SM means in SWTOR because it's never had that.

And thank you for finally agreeing with me. As you say here "SM is designed for ppl to go through" and I agree with that, but that doesn't mean it has to be easy for everyone. There is a difference between being able to pass through content and it being easy for everyone. Understand that difference and you understand what I'm saying here.

As DPS they are untouched, still as good (or as bad, depending on who you summon) as ever. I haven't used them enough as tanks before or after but the only changes were done to their healing so they should be exactly the same.

Not exactly true. Comparing my rank 50 comp pre-6.0 to post-6.0 in the same content. In DPS mode their DPS is roughly the same, maybe slightly higher, but they take more damage than before (sometimes significantly more). In tank mode they take more damage and are not as able to hold agro. I have had fights were all of their abilities are on cooldown, and all abilities generate threat in tank mode, and yet only one mob is attacking my comp while the rest are on me (and yes, I do send my comp in first). In heal mode they seem to be more effective than before since I don't have to turn off their channeled heal to get them to DPS.

Some of this can be attributed to the changes to level sync, but not all. I ran Ossus a few days before 6.0, and when I logged in after 6.0 it was the first thing I did because I wanted to compare some of the changes in as relatively similar an environment as I could get. Pre-6.0 I had my comp in DPS mode. Obviously, I took more damage then but things died quickly and the damage to my comp wasn't significant (I would mostly heal on the move). Post-6.0 my comp died too quickly to be effective, so I switched them to tank mode. In tank mode they were taking more damage in post-6.0 than they took as DPS in pre-6.0.

I was still wearing my 252 gear at the time, so my experience now would likely be different (I noticed my DPS was lower post-6.0 compared to pre-6.0 in the same gear), but it does highlight that more changes were made to comps than to just the heal mode and level sync. Perceptively, because I don't have hard numbers, my rank 50 comp is less effective in both tank (definitely a change to their agro management) and DPS mode post-6.0. Now that I've raised my gear rating, and my character is producing numbers equal to or above what they did pre-6.0, my experience may be different on Ossus, but I haven't returned to check.

What really ticks me off is when people mix things up themselves and then act like I don't get it. It's disappointing that you do this as well. I will try to explain it again in the hopes that you do get the difference.

The OP said that SM means that it should be easy for everyone. I think there are two problems with that statement.

First of all it's his opinion, I have yet to see a statement from BioWare that says exactly that. Why? Because even though it should be POSSIBLE for pretty much everyone to complete Story Mode that's NOT the same as EASY for pretty much everyone. If you say Story Mode implies it should be possible to complete by casual players I do agree with that but not that it should be easy for the laziest person who doesn't care to use more than two skills or learn any basic combat rules like stepping outside of damage circles and maybe kill the healer mob first when you have a hard time killing mobs.

That is the essential difference and that's why I object to the notion that it should be EASY for everyone. Now I'm not saying that it should be really tough for casual players but I do find it fair to expect them to at least learn some basics about combat so that the lowest common denominator doesn't become so low that combat becomes meaningless for a lot of people.

I am 100% in agreement with you here.

But, and this is the "difficult to quantify" bit that is I believe where the point of contention sits.

What level of difficulty is "right" so that it is a) not really tough for casual players AND b) not so easy that it becomes meaningless for a significant number of players.

Way back when, I used to play in an end-game progression guild in both WoW and LOTRO, and have dabbled in Wildstar.

I know just how big the gulf is between "casual" and "end-game raider" player ability.

If content is not going to be "too tough" for people on the below average part of the casual spectrum then it WILL almost certainly be trivially meaningless for raiders. That's just how it is.

Now, I'm willing to bet that if Bioware crunched the numbers there are many, many times more players at the "below average casual" ability level, than there are at the "end-game raider" ability level.

So where do Bioware pitch the difficulty here?

As Bioware have been traditionally known for story-led games surely it would make most sense to make Story Mode content easy enough to not be "too tough" for the vast majority of players, even some of those of "below average casual" ability.

Bioware needs (as in DESPERATELY NEEDS) to keep more players, playing longer.

I will bet every credit I own in this game that 10 times more players have left over the life of the game because "things were too hard" than have left because "things were too easy".

And by "things" I mean baseline content.

People who want a challenge to their abilities have FPs and OPs, and Hard Mode and NiM.

It makes no sense to raise the bottom rung of the ability ladder so high that a financially significant number of players never reach it, and so so stop playing and paying.

If you don't believe me go ask the Wildstar Devs, oh... ...wait... ...too late.

Speaking of which: Wildstar - an MMOROG that failed because essentially it was always aimed a too high a player ability level, and never recovered from that even from launch.

I wonder if all the "moar difficulty nao" players can name even one MMORPG that failed because it was too easy.

All The Best

The fun part of the " ugh, ugh, make it harder" crowd, is, that they are the first to find cheats around difficult mechanics/ bosses to avoid them completely. They are also the endless grinders of Hammer Station because- big surprise- it`s the easiest FP.

LOLOL so much this. I'm one of those people who loved soloing harder content--solod the Dantooine Heroics, I have the One and Only title, etc. etc. But the idea that making the game an absolute boring slog-fest would make the game "funner" is ridiculous. The people who wanted the game more "difficult"--and I use that term very loosely--could have ran around in sub-par gear for Heroics etc., or ran around with a level 10 or even a level 1 comp. Now those solo players and people with handicaps who NEED help have no such recourse.

I don't consider the game more difficult now, just extremely boring and tiresome. Oh yay, I get to take 15 mins to do CZ-198 instead of 7 and a half. Wooooooo such amazing fun.

As the game stands now all it does is waste our time.

Edited by Sinhammer

This tread has been a very interesting read. I always considered myself to be a hyper casual player. I don't like challenge. Even when the game had more people playing it, I rarely bothered to do any ops of group fp. But I don't notice any significant differences between 6.0 and pre-6.0?.. Since 6.0 dropped, I've ran all the fp that have story mode except for Black Talon. The only problem I encountered was HK-47 fight in Foundry, he dished out such a ridiculous amount of damage that I suspect he might be broken (he didn't do that before 6.0). Then there was Shae Vizla in the Rishi fp who was the first one since HK-47 to ever make me use a healing station or two during the fight.

Everything else was as easy as before. Companions I used were around ~15 affection level, not 50. My characters were, more or less, of the level required to do each specific flashpoint (15 for Esseless, 35 for Taral V, 55-60 for False Emperor, etc). Regular mobs took longer to kill, and so did some of the bosses. I can see how that might be a problem. Spending a lot of time to cleave through endless crowds of strongs is simply boring. But difficult, it was not. In fact, sometimes it was comically easy. Yesterday I got knocked off the bridge in Taral V and had to wait somewhere below it until my companion (affection level 15) and combat support droid killed an entire pack of mobs by themselves. It tooked them about 1 minute. During another fight I lagged so badly, they basically killed the boss on their own. I suspect I could just let them carry me through the entire flashpoint without trouble, even though it would take a lot of time without my damage input.

So I really don't understand where exactly people are having difficulties in story mode? Most of the time it's hard to get yourself killed even if you try on purpose, because your companion and combat support bot will keep you healed. Some bosses require some movement, like getting out of red circles on the ground or not standing in fire, but thats about it.

Again, I'm not a hardcore player, not by a long shot. But... what the heck is happening in your story mode if you can't beat it? Outside of a few things that are outright broken, like Zakuulan walkers, everything should be doable.

Edited by Yria

it is completely within the realm of possibility that a solo player would prefer a higher degree of challenge in their solo activities. Their opinion may have been that companions were too strong, and effectively playing the game for them, which is what they disliked. It is also entirely possible (since we don't know the actual metrics at play) that there are more solo players who prefer more of a challenge than not.

Secondarily, to the notion of "why didn't you dismiss your companion, take off your gear, etc.": the game was not meant to be played naked or without a companion. Therefore, to ask a solo player who does ask for more of a challenge to do these things is asking them to not play the game as designed which is an unfair ask. Their desire to play within the design of the game by wearing gear and using their companion should not be washed away so readily.

Also stop blaming group based players for this. None of us care what happens for the solo based portions of the game. They can be as easy or as hard as Bioware dictates and our opinion more than likely doesn't change. Why? Because we aren't active members of that section of the community and thus do not comment on that. What we are more focused on is the level sync in operations, or tech fragment caps, or gear acquisition from the content we play i.e group based content. Solo content is, nor will be or has been, a focus for group centered players. Blaming group based players like raiders or pvp players is absolutely an incorrect assignment of blame and an absolutely incorrect modis operandi

So you were able to solo content supposed to be done with 4 players. Great for you.

I liked that there was more need to group before 4.0, the game changed I had to adapt. The game now changed again as MMOs are prone to do. It's your turn to adapt.

Who is to judge which change is better or worse?

You like the previous one, I like this one. We are both paying subscribers, who of us is worth more, who is to decide what's better?

And for the "elitists complained and caused this"... Really?

There were tons of threads criticising levelsync after 4.0, they changed pretty much nothing, and now there has been a change because of the practically non existing recent threads about asking for more difficulty? Not even counting the fact that the forums are way less active these days and the people writing here an even smaller part of the player base.

I'd rather think this change was the consequence of what Bioware did read in their statistics and data collected from the game and numbers of people giving their reason when unsubscribing.

Voting with the wallet is what has an effect, ranting in the forums doesn't.

It comes all down to the question who the game aims for, who is the current clientele that is supposed to be attracted to play. Are you, I or that guy over there part of the target audience?

None of us players have any official data about that, no hard numbers and most likely won't get them either, but while the change might not be for everyone, considering how many returning players I know like it and plan to stay longer than just a month, I don't think it's bad for the game as a whole.

There is a problem in the daily area for some, Section X and that heroic. Getting a group for that heroic is almost impossible, as it was a few years back. While for some it can be soloed (especially for stealthers) or for those that just want to run through, rez and continue on then yea, but that is not what a lot want to do, they want to do the heroic in that area, and that one is overtuned due to the fact finding people for that one is still just as hard as it was years ago when people stopping doing it.

I am 100% in agreement with you here.

But, and this is the "difficult to quantify" bit that is I believe where the point of contention sits.

What level of difficulty is "right" so that it is a) not really tough for casual players AND b) not so easy that it becomes meaningless for a significant number of players.

This is indeed the problem. That's why my stance is that BW can't make everybody happy. Now I'm happy that it's a bit more challenging, but I'm not asking BW to make it harder because I also don't want general content to be too difficult for the majority of players.

Of course it all started of with someone else calling players who like more challenge "sado-masochists" and I made a tongue-in-cheek remark that the Op took too seriously and here we are lol :)

But that's ok. I know slowpokie long enough here to know what he's about.

I know just how big the gulf is between "casual" and "end-game raider" player ability.
This is the thing, that's really an enormous gap and sometimes I wonder why. What I find a shame though is that casual players whined over not getting the same rewards while not wanting to do the same to earn those rewards. They got what they wanted and as such a necessary incentive for doing harder modes was taken away. Now these people are upset because they have something taken away from them.

As much as I'm for casual and solo content in MMOs, the players that primarily or only play that should also be fair towards those who do challenging content and be rewarded accordingly. The big issue with 5.0 and now 6.0 is that BiS gear is up for grabs and cosmetic rewards you have to buy from the CM.

I mean in 6.0 you can have BiS gear without setting foot in an ops. Well ok, but then what is there to strive for in harder modes especially since there is only one new one? In the end I've been doing the same ops for many years and what keeps it worth doing is in part the rewards. Those rewards have now been given to everyone. I don't begrudge other people having gear but I do begrudge them making doing harder content unrewarding.

If people don't understand why challenging content should have its own set of rewards, then you do not understand people who like challenging content and how they tick. It's the same in real life. Most people who have a career would not want to do a challenging job and get paid the same as someone who sits around and drinks coffee all day. Just as a crude comparison. Of course a game is not a job but it's abour rewarding skill and effort. If you reward everyone the same regardless of what they do, a lot of people lose motivation to do more. We see that in real life as well. Just think of a system (I'm not allowed to name it on the forum) where everybody gets paid the same regardless of their job and what happens in such a society.

And in the end, I didn't ask BW to make companions less op, but they did it and I liked the effect of it. You know, before 6.0 I saw this guy on Ossus. He was afk and on the spawn point of one of those gold mobs you need to kill for a daily. His companion was locked into continual combat because that gold mob could not kill that healer comp but the healer comp didn't have the dps to kill the gold mob before it reset and the combat started over again.

It made it impossible for others to complete the quest also.

Now I get that there's a big difference between player skill but I don't think that situation should exist in game. I really do wonder how many people like slowpoke actually raised their companion influence and have taken the time to learn just a few basics. I don't expect everybody or anybody to become a hardcore raider. I'm not that either but there are just a few basics that make so much difference that I have to wonder if they know them or even care.

That can kind of upset me because their unwillingness to adapt means others have to. And then it's a rather one-sided attitude. I haven't asked for the game to be exactly like I want cause I know that's not realistic. That's what I miss in some of these people. They want it their way and don't care if it affects others negatively. That's how I read the op in this case.

It's about time people started to learn how to Play Their Class

Yes, already stupid, if you can not just press 1111111. A bit of brain work overwhelms many.

Honestly, I have no sympathy for people who did not even manage the story mode. You just have to beat it a few seconds longer. And you have to be careful not to pull 1558494665 mobs. Use interruptions etc.

Such people then get on one's nerves in the GF. Because they suddenly want group activities.