WHY did Bioware nerf the companions so much?

Slowpokeking

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This pretty much sums it up. All the changes have done is introduced bugs and made the game more of a grind. Grind does not equate to "fun".

I still preferred the game prior to level sync, if you wanted an OP companion you had to gear that companion accordingly. Equally said, levelling actually meant something more than just gaining a few more stats and new gear to play the latest content, you could revisit older parts of the game and actually play around a bit without too much concern and work on achievements or just explore without low level mobs becoming a constant pain in the backside.

Before level sync you can solo most of the area with ease because of level.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Yes, already stupid, if you can not just press 1111111. A bit of brain work overwhelms many.

Honestly, I have no sympathy for people who did not even manage the story mode. You just have to beat it a few seconds longer. And you have to be careful not to pull 1558494665 mobs. Use interruptions etc.

Such people then get on one's nerves in the GF. Because they suddenly want group activities.

What does it have to do with you?

Why did other ppl's play style matter to you? Are you playing this game simply to laugh at others? If so you should go spend efforts in real life instead of wasting time in a VIDEO GAME.

It doesn't end there. Ravagers, ToS, EC and Gods are all ops that regularly have problems in SM. FPs also have wildly different difficulties. That's why when the harder ones come up in Veteran Mode (whichs is really Story Mode for groups) people quit when they see it's a harder one because they do want the reward from randoms but not do the content that's "not easy". So also there SM doesn't mean that it's easy for everyone. BW simply hasn't delived on what you want SM to be.

Doesn't matter, most of them are designed for most of the ppl to go through.

And you can get your companions to influence 50 and learn some basic combat rules that make things a lot easier. So again, you are just the elitist casual that wants everyone else to change and adapt for you. So you're no better than anyone else here.

Again, your definition of what SM means is your own. It's not a holy truth. It's not a fact. It's just your opinion. I have a different one and that's ok. But when I look at what BioWare have done in SWTOR when it comes to Story Mode, the game simply does NOT support your opinion and it never has.

I'd rather deal with what's real at this point. BioWare should first have a consistent definition of what SM means in SWTOR because it's never had that.

And thank you for finally agreeing with me. As you say here "SM is designed for ppl to go through" and I agree with that, but that doesn't mean it has to be easy for everyone. There is a difference between being able to pass through content and it being easy for everyone. Understand that difference and you understand what I'm saying here.

I did, this is why I post.

SM is for everyone to experience the story, this is WHY it has other modes.

WHY did it matter to you? WHY didn't you go other modes if you want challenge?

Haven't read the previous 7 pages so idk if this has been discussed before

BUT

"Strong" companions AFFECT ME AS AN MMO PLAYER

I get people in my ops groups, MM FP groups, PVP groups etc WHO ONLY USE THEIR BASIC ATTACK. At level 75!

They have been carried by their companions all this while and do not know how to play the game, and when these people participate in group content they have no clue what to do, which actively ruins my gameplay experience.

This is only confirmed by the fact that companion performance was only changed in 1 mode (heal) to like 10% less effective and people are already getting steamrolled in STORY content because of it. This is laughable.

If it were up to me companions would be purely crafting/cosmetic (they can shoot or whatever but it would do nothing). I see so many people coming to fleet asking for help for the Onderon mission because they have the companion bug. I had the bug too but I didn't even know we were supposed to have a companion there until people started reporting

Honestly, and there's no better way of putting this, L2P.

Then teach them. Such players occur in every era, from vanilla to now.

I played very well in the vanilla era and always like to run FP with challenge, I still have trouble with the bonus boss.

Doesn't matter, most of them are designed for most of the ppl to go through.
Clearly they are not or else people would not struggle with them and rage quit over wipes. If you go on like this you could say that the vanilla story line was designed for most of the people to go through but that was a LOT harder than now. So your point makes zero sense.

I did, this is why I post.

SM is for everyone to experience the story, this is WHY it has other modes.

WHY did it matter to you? WHY didn't you go other modes if you want challenge?

Let's assume that I believe you, what sort of content do you have trouble with now. I can't think of any SM content except maybe EC that involves companions that you should have trouble with. So let me know what content you struggle with and why so maybe I can understand your issue better.

Clearly they are not or else people would not struggle with them and rage quit over wipes. If you go on like this you could say that the vanilla story line was designed for most of the people to go through but that was a LOT harder than now. So your point makes zero sense.

They are, some of them weren't because the lack of resources to fix.

It was, which is why it further got easier for this reason.

Let's assume that I believe you, what sort of content do you have trouble with now. I can't think of any SM content except maybe EC that involves companions that you should have trouble with. So let me know what content you struggle with and why so maybe I can understand your issue better.

Yes, still avoiding the question.

What does it have to do with you?

Why did other ppl's play style matter to you? Are you playing this game simply to laugh at others? If so you should go spend efforts in real life instead of wasting time in a VIDEO GAME.

Did not read the last sentence? Because these people then annoy in the GF. If at some point they feel the desire for a group.

By the way, this is not just about your fun. I like challenges every now and then when I play solo. When I play the Char stories, I do not want to defeat my opponents in one fell swoop. And yes, my companions are already passive.

It is not too hard. Just you can not knock more brain dead on everything. Set the influence of the Companion to 20. Then it works again.

Did not read the last sentence? Because these people then annoy in the GF. If at some point they feel the desire for a group.

By the way, this is not just about your fun. I like challenges every now and then when I play solo. When I play the Char stories, I do not want to defeat my opponents in one fell swoop. And yes, my companions are already passive.

It is not too hard. Just you can not knock more brain dead on everything. Set the influence of the Companion to 20. Then it works again.

Annoying ppl never cease to exist since the dawn of group content games. It has nothing to do with the game's difficulty or companion. Actually the most annoying ppl I've met on GF are always ragequiters, and most of them are elitists who can't endure other's mistake.

You like challenge then there are challenging content, go for them, if you want challenge in solo then take off ur gear and dismiss your companion. You have the option to do so. WHY do you want to take out others' fun, when there are such content for you and you have the option to do so?

It's not too hard, just look at your panel and you can click it, it's much more easier than those you called braindead content.

You like challenge then there are challenging content, go for them, if you want challenge in solo then take off ur gear and dismiss your companion.

Did you even read their post? Their companions are already on passive (which is the same as having them dismissed in terms of usefulness). And gear doesn't mean jack while you are leveling, you can defeat class bosses just as easily without a single piece of armor.

Edited by Yria

newbies are ragequitters

In my limited experience of OPs and FPs the "rage quitters" have not been the newbies.

The rage-quitters tend to be experience group players whining about first time players listening to the story element and using the "choice wheel" rather than spacing through and getting on with it.

All The Best

Did you even read their post? Their companions are already on passive (which is the same as having them dismissed in terms of usefulness). And gear doesn't mean jack while you are leveling, you can defeat class bosses just as easily without a single piece of armor.

Then it means it has NOTHING to do with the companion. They can also choose not to use a bunch of skills as well.

Also these content are meant to let everyone go through. If they want challenge there are challenging content. It''s very jerkass to try to get all the content serve them.

WHY did Bioware nerf the companions so much?

The same reason they buffed them into oblivion a few years back. They're trying to walk that tightrope and they keep falling.

They buffed them because of level sync, before that we can stomp most of the content with level advantage.

They buffed them because of level sync, before that we can stomp most of the content with level advantage.

Exactly. I'll put it more simplistic terms, they have almost no idea what they're doing when it comes to a number of things in this game.

They can also choose not to use a bunch of skills as well.

Are you for real? No, I don't want to not use my skills. I have them for a reason. You have them for a reason. Learn to use them (god, never thought I'd say this).

Don't blame the people that complained, blame BW.

People complain a lot, about a lot f things, and they're never heard. This BW decision just happens to overlap with what a few people wanted. In actuality, it just seems like a new MO they have with making the game harder, more grindy, and everything taking longer to accomplish.

Weak companions falls into that.

I'm starting to call it the Burnout expansion. It's only been a couple of weeks and I no longer feel like playing.

Are you for real? No, I don't want to not use my skills. I have them for a reason. You have them for a reason. Learn to use them (god, never thought I'd say this).

And are you for real? NO I don't want to change my casual game style, same thing.

And you at least have a choice, we don't.

You have your challenging content to do, we don't when our content gets changed.

That's what makes elitist so harmful, when we talk about HM/NIM, they say "they are designed to be hard", when we talk about solo/SM, they say" I want it to be hard" and not mentioning "it's supposed for everyone to go through". This game is not simply designed for hardcore players, NO.

And you at least have a choice, we don't.

Playing the game the way it was not intended to be played is not "having a choice". It is supposed to be played with gear, companions and certain abilities. Besides, you do have a choice: learn to play. Oh, right, you don't want to. Well, if you don't want to change your playstyle to get through solo content why should I, or anyone else who disagrees with you? You are the one who started this whole "take off your gear, dismiss your companion" thing, don't try to spin it back at me. What you are saying in this tread is, basically, that the game should be designed in a way that makes it fun to play for you personally, everyone else be damned. Shouldn't come as a surprise that many people won't agree with that stance.

And no, I don't want to do challenging group content. Again, I'm not a hardcore player. I want solo content to be fun, and to me "fun" means "without scary sith lord bosses dying in 8 seconds after I used a single slah and a blade barrage".

Edited by Yria

Also these content are meant to let everyone go through. If they want challenge there are challenging content. It''s very jerkass to try to get all the content serve them.

How about just learning how to handle your class?

SERIOUSLY?

If you want to play a game where you only have to fart so the opponent falls over, then play another game. There are games, all you have to do is press a button and the fight ends automatically. :rolleyes:

I don't understand the problem. Not really. Your just have to take care a little bit more than before. The red circles are evil ones, your should always have known. Also that you should not pull everything is clear.

That should be basic requirements, even someone who has never played realizes that at some point. :rolleyes:

So what's the problem?

Is it because the companion does not flatten everything while you're sitting on the loo.

So, here I'll jump out, otherwise I'll say something for what I could be banned.

So I made a new character soon after the expansion started and I'm in the process of leveling that character. I think many people miss the point. It's not that the open world part became harder. It became longer and more boring as I expected. Everything takes slightly longer to kill but at no point (four starter planets, story quest, subquests, heroics, story flashpoints for travel to capitol and Revan substories) I felt at risk of dying (I'm quite happy about it because returning from med center = more wasted time on top of time wasted killing mobs).

So, the game with all the changes did not became harder, it became grindier and more boring - that's why my new character isn't fully leveled yet, it just burns me out faster.

Fortunately everything is back to normal at lvl 75, with tactical and set bonus.

I would conclude the expansion is rather unfriendly to newcomers, old players should feel ok after the initial slog of leveling all alts.

Playing the game the way it was not intended to be played is not "having a choice". It is supposed to be played with gear, companions and certain abilities. Besides, you do have a choice: learn to play. Oh, right, you don't want to. Well, if you don't want to change your playstyle to get through solo content why should I, or anyone else who disagrees with you? You are the one who started this whole "take off your gear, dismiss your companion" thing, don't try to spin it back at me. What you are saying in this tread is, basically, that the game should be designed in a way that makes it fun to play for you personally, everyone else be damned. Shouldn't come as a surprise that many people won't agree with that stance.

And no, I don't want to do challenging group content. Again, I'm not a hardcore player. I want solo content to be fun, and to me "fun" means "without scary sith lord bosses dying in 8 seconds after I used a single slah and a blade barrage".

What do you mean intended? Good games all offer freedom, there are even achievement ask you to do something under special circumstances. Is any of my suggestion violate the rule of SWTOR? If not why is it a problem? As long as it doesn't violate the rules of the game, it's part of the playing style.

Then enjoy your current play, you have your option to do so, why being lazy?