It’s 2019 and still no cross server queues

Telaan

But why? Not that this is a new question...but I’m still trying to wrap my head around how a game was released in 2011 without it in the first place. It would help fix ranked win trading, decrease pvp and pve queue times, break up the odds of running into the same premades repeatedly if solo queuing, etc.

But why? Not that this is a new question...but I’m still trying to wrap my head around how a game was released in 2011 without it in the first place. It would help fix ranked win trading, decrease pvp and pve queue times, break up the odds of running into the same premades repeatedly if solo queuing, etc.

Don't know how it would stop wintrading, but would definately help que's. Could tere be a problem with names? two players, excat same name on two different servers, could that cause problems?

Edited by DarkTergon

That wouldn’t be a problem. All they have to do is add -server to the end of the name like in other games (ie: Telaan-Satele Shan vs Telaan-Star Forge).

It’s much more difficult to coordinate win trades with larger more active queues as a result of a deeper base of players being drawn from across numerous servers.

Don't know how it would stop wintrading, but would definately help que's. Could tere be a problem with names? two players, excat same name on two different servers, could that cause problems?

Nope. The problem is with the engine, hence why they said it will NEVER be implemented, way back.

Also they stated the two NA servers won't be merged either.

Nope. The problem is with the engine, hence why they said it will NEVER be implemented, way back.

Also they stated the two NA servers won't be merged either.

The engine isn’t the problem. Cross server communication/queues are already possible; hence why we can transfer between them with associated data. They’ve also already merged numerous NA servers. They’re just not going to merge it down to a single one only.

The engine isn’t the problem. Cross server communication/queues are already possible; hence why we can transfer between them with associated data. They’ve also already merged numerous NA servers. They’re just not going to merge it down to a single one only.

Yea idk then, cause the communication is already there, hence why we can transfer our toons within seconds. Maybe thats why. Because transfers are profitable..

Yea idk then, cause the communication is already there, hence why we can transfer our toons within seconds. Maybe thats why. Because transfers are profitable..

Your individual server will always matter and server transfers will always be desirable. Whether it’s to transfer to play with a friend, to join a progression or PvP guild, the economy, or any other myriad of reasons. But cross server queues will benefit players and increase quality of life for numerous areas which increases the potential for more subs. I suspect that the reason we likely haven’t seen it is because it would require someone to foot the bill to develop.

But why? Not that this is a new question...but I’m still trying to wrap my head around how a game was released in 2011 without it in the first place..

I don't understand why you think this is a good idea. Cross-server queues would put more people into queues, but they would be queuing for more FPs/OPs/PvP (from each of the servers) - the overall effect would be negligible.

Also, what makes you think that this should be possible or financially viable just because it's the current year.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that my dog, born in 2009, still can't talk!

Incorrect.

The Devs themselves stated what I posted above. I didn't just pull that from thin air.

Do some searching on this thing we use, called the internet. You can probably pull the post up.

Transferring server to server is COMPLETELY different than you staying one server, me on another, players X & Y on DM & us all meeting in a mutual FP...WAY more load on server & info going across.

And that's what I stated, they said they won't merge the last two NA servers into each other. So no point arguing it.

Incorrect.

The Devs themselves stated what I posted above. I didn't just pull that from thin air.

Do some searching on this thing we use, called the internet. You can probably pull the post up.

Transferring server to server is COMPLETELY different than you staying one server, me on another, players X & Y on DM & us all meeting in a mutual FP...WAY more load on server & info going across.

And that's what I stated, they said they won't merge the last two NA servers into each other. So no point arguing it.

How come WoW can do it then?

Cross server communication/queues are already possible; hence why we can transfer between them with associated data.

There is so much wrong with this statement that I don't really know where to begin.

The conclusion that, because we can transfer characters from one server to another in a process that guarantees deliver in "not more than an hour", we can play with people on other servers in competitive game modes...

Um. Excuse me. I have to go outside and laugh my head off.

OK. I'm back. I feel weak, but apart from that I feel so much better.

this would have mattered about 5 years ago. you may not have noticed, but all of the servers have already been merged. the only servers that still persist are regional. you understand that, right? x-server between DM and SF wouldn't be feasible because as bad as de-sync, clipping, and ping are on your home server, not to mention how badly the engine handles such things in general, imagine trying to play ranked between players that are constantly 300ms ping against those with 15ms? or if everyone gets 300ms? no. sorry, my child. we already have the best we're going to get. you can hop on the same EU server if you want and can agree on the same language, but that's about it.

There is so much wrong with this statement that I don't really know where to begin.

The conclusion that, because we can transfer characters from one server to another in a process that guarantees deliver in "not more than an hour", we can play with people on other servers in competitive game modes...

Um. Excuse me. I have to go outside and laugh my head off.

OK. I'm back. I feel weak, but apart from that I feel so much better.

Weird I thought engines could be upgraded. It’s almost like LOTRO upgraded their engine.... LOTRO....

Server transfers happen in seconds. Done it across more toons than I care to admit because of getting put on different servers than friends. Five years ago is not today.

Edited by Telaan

this would have mattered about 5 years ago. you may not have noticed, but all of the servers have already been merged. the only servers that still persist are regional. you understand that, right? x-server between DM and SF wouldn't be feasible because as bad as de-sync, clipping, and ping are on your home server, not to mention how badly the engine handles such things in general, imagine trying to play ranked between players that are constantly 300ms ping against those with 15ms? or if everyone gets 300ms? no. sorry, my child. we already have the best we're going to get. you can hop on the same EU server if you want and can agree on the same language, but that's about it.

And two NA servers.

Weird I thought engines could be upgraded. It’s almost like LOTRO upgraded their engine.... LOTRO....

Server transfers happen in seconds. Done it across more toons than I care to admit because of getting put on different servers than friends. Five years ago is not today.

Engines can be upgraded, but this one will not be. It is too heavily modified, would cost too much money and too many developer resources. Unless EA wanted it to happen, it will not happen. WoW, LOTRO, and others do not run on the hero engine, thus it is a wholly different process to upgrade them. The heavily modified hero engine that is at the heart of SWTOR is here to stay, just like it is.

And, it is a terrible game engine for a multitude of reasons (true open world PvP not possible, cross-server queues not possible, etc. etc.), but none of that matters. The game will always use it, they will not be putting in the money or effort to upgrade it, and it is what it is... full stop.

And two NA servers.

Which the developers have also stated will not ever be merged together. They have said so point blank.

Edited by PennyAnn

You're right, engines *can* be upgraded, but that has approximately nothing to do with what I said.

To be sure, transfers usually take only seconds, but the guarantee offered is "under an hour".

But for cross-server gameplay to work, data transfer must take milliseconds, consistently, always, and *continuously*. Solving that problem requires a different set of things than one-off database changes / moves.

You're right, engines *can* be upgraded, but that has approximately nothing to do with what I said.

To be sure, transfers usually take only seconds, but the guarantee offered is "under an hour".

But for cross-server gameplay to work, data transfer must take milliseconds, consistently, always, and *continuously*. Solving that problem requires a different set of things than one-off database changes / moves.

The point is that it’s entirely possible. I’m fairly certain I never stated that all it would take is the flip of a switch to make happen. What I did say is that it IS possible since communication already occurs. It WOULD take upgrading the engine to do. If LOTRO can manage an engine upgrade than this game under EA certainly can and should too. It’s 2019 and it’s time this game have features that existed in 2004. The reason that this won’t happen is because the game is in maintenance.

The point is that it’s entirely possible. I’m fairly certain I never stated that all it would take is the flip of a switch to make happen. What I did say is that it IS possible since communication already occurs. It WOULD take upgrading the engine to do. If LOTRO can manage an engine upgrade than this game under EA certainly can and should too. It’s 2019 and it’s time this game have features that existed in 2004. The reason that this won’t happen is because the game is in maintenance.

They said a long time ago it's because of the engine. When they tried to implement it, players transferring servers would get lost attempting to go back to their original server. So in order to make cross-transfer possible they'd have to put it on a different engine and they have no plans to do so.

Edited by kodrac

Par for the course regarding this game. For people that weren't around when this game first launched, there also wasn't a group finder, you had to form Flashpoints, Ops, etc. on the Fleet. 2011 and no group finder?! :eek: I understand the game was rushed to release, but...

It would be nice to see this happen, but with the game in maintenance mode with a sprinkle here and there of new content, I don't ever see them investing in something like this.

Edited by Pirana

Yea honestly your right on, this game is in a vegetable state at this point. They have put of resources and manppower into resources instead of this Star Wars IP. Which is amazing because Anthem was a complete failure. Game just came out 4 months ago and already lost 75% of its player base. Why would you release that game without PvP is beyond me. If 6.0 does well (which tbh i think it will do) we will see SWTOR slowly get revived. But cross server PvP and PVE is worth investing into. Especially more than voice actors at this point. Its about longevity when you are making an MMO, and bioware has not invested in the long run at all.

It can be summarized this way:

- Alpha Hero engine to begin with so no support and update/upgrade anyway from the beginning and for the time being (probably the most stupid and shortsighted business decsion I have ever heard of).

- heavily modified by people who don't work there anymore, and, that is an assumption: Probably didn't document anything by usual industry standards

- that leads to the current developer team having no clue and reading tea leaves regarding the engine

- and the engine is limited anyway

So sad, such an outstanding fail lord decision for a product that supposedly had a dev budget of 300 million or something, an MMORPG that usually have a long lifetime - does anybody else feel that this was so outstanding ignorant and dumb? Set to fail by design and ignorance, right?

Edited by Khaleg

It can be summarized this way:

- Alpha Hero engine to begin with so no support and update/upgrade anyway from the beginning and for the time being (probably the most stupid and shortsighted business decsion I have ever heard of).

- heavily modified by people who don't work there anymore, and, that is an assumption: Probably didn't document anything by usual industry standards

- that leads to the current developer team having no clue and reading tea leaves regarding the engine

- and the engine is limited anyway

So sad, such an outstanding fail lord decision for a product that supposedly had a dev budget of 300 million or something, an MMORPG that usually have a long lifetime - does anybody else feel that this was so outstanding ignorant and dumb? Set to fail by design and ignorance, right?

I recall reading something about that before launch, somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 million to develop the game. And then they want to use a test subject, the Hero engine, that still dumbfounds me. If you're going to invest that amount of money, why would you use an engine that hadn't even been established. That's like releasing an A-list movie and putting it in budget theaters. People think they have lag now, it was worse back then before things were modified a bit.

Ignorance is the first word that always comes to mind when looking back at launch.