New Guide to make Slicing profitable

ArchonGamer

First, to the Forum mods this is not a thread complaining about the changes to slicing. It is a thread about teaching players how to make money slicing, so please don't close it and say it belongs in the other threads.

Second, to forum players please don't complain in this thread share new ways you have learned to make credits with slicing.

Ok, so after reading over 120 pages of complaints on the change I decided to try and learn how to make money with this new slicing change. And after a lot of trial an error I am making pretty good money with it.

I read numerous times that MODERATE lock box missions are the only ones that return schematics (I think that is broken, but hey). So I tested this and it seems to be true. I am level 27, with 400 slicing, and have 3 companions. I use to run only abundant or rich lock box missions but now I make money selling schematics.

I run level 49-50 or 41-48 MODERATE lock box mission only. At 400 slicing I never fail and I make about 100 to 300 credits per return (which is nothing). However, every 3 to 5 missions I get a blue or purple schematic. Now since the changed while adventuring and sending 2 companions I earned 16 schematics.

I put them on auction house this morning. With in 2 hours 12 of them sold. Most I sold for 2,500, but I had one sell for 10,000 and another for 25,000. So that was an additional 60,000 credits from 3 days of slicing.

This does not include boxes I picked up along the way.

Anyone have any other ideas or success stories?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to take into acount what it cost you to run theses missions. At 200 skills, it cost about 870 credits to send a companion on one (so i assume at your level it must be at least 1000).

You said every 3 to 5 missions you get a schematics. Lets say you get one every 4 missions to make it easier. Now you have 16 schematics so you went on 64 missions....at 1000 credits each wich make a total of 64k credits, you have a return of 100 to 300 credits wich we will average at 200 credits. wich gives 12,800 creds. So with your total 60k from your sell and your return from the lockbox you really are only doing 8,800 credits (60+12,8-64).

Unless i'm mistaking, that's not really good for 3 days of works/wait.

Slicing is profitable right now. Go out and open a lockbox = profit.

Or am I wrong?

The ones you get from the mission have the potential to lose you credits, i.e. costs 1200 to send out the mission and returns 1150. the ones you find in the world as resources are definitely free but they are far and few between. If you were really dedicated I guess you could scour a whole planet for all the spawned ones

You forgot to take into acount what it cost you to run theses missions. At 200 skills, it cost about 870 credits to send a companion on one (so i assume at your level it must be at least 1000).

You said every 3 to 5 missions you get a schematics. Lets say you get one every 4 missions to make it easier. Now you have 16 schematics so you went on 64 missions....at 1000 credits each wich make a total of 64k credits, you have a return of 100 to 300 credits wich we will average at 200 credits. wich gives 12,800 creds. So with your total 60k from your sell and your return from the lockbox you really are only doing 8,800 credits (60+12,8-64).

Unless i'm mistaking, that's not really good for 3 days of works/wait.

Wow.. you must have misread what he said. He said he makes like 100-300 profit per box and get schematics. So he's making 60k + whatever amount in profit... I don't see how you got -64k from.

Wow.. you must have misread what he said. He said he makes like 100-300 profit per box and get schematics. So he's making 60k + whatever amount in profit... I don't see how you got -64k from.

My bad, tought he said what he got in the box was that amount. Forget what i said.

Indeed, this has always been a profitable way to make money with slicing.

The problem is that people have less money to buy them with the slicing nerfs, and that is the ONLY way to make a profit with slicing.

Slicing still needs its nerf % reduced by quite a bit to remain viable as a profession.

The ones you get from the mission have the potential to lose you credits, i.e. costs 1200 to send out the mission and returns 1150. the ones you find in the world as resources are definitely free but they are far and few between. If you were really dedicated I guess you could scour a whole planet for all the spawned ones

This is how all the other gathering systems work.

The problem is that people have less money to buy them with the slicing nerfs, and that is the ONLY way to make a profit with slicing.

Step 1: Go out and play the game. Walk around.

Step 2: Find a lockbox.

Step 3: Open said lockbox.

Step 4: Profit!

Nobody.... and I do mean nobody from any other crafting or gathering class is going to suddenly feel sorry for slicers. Saying slicing is not profitable is just demonstrably false... go gather a freaking node and that's 100% profit. Try selling mats which may not sell, or crafted stuff which may not sell, and that after spending cash to buy the recipe in the first place, and possibly more cash on missions for specialty rares.

Stopped right there. I'm 400 slicing, and I fail about 1 out of 20 missions.

I have never failed a Moderate mission at 400 skill ever. The Abundant and Rich missions yes I have failed those but never a Moderate mission.

The level 41-28 are GREY so they can't be failed and the 49-50 are green, maybe I have just been lucky.

Edited by ArchonGamer

First, to the Forum mods this is not a thread complaining about the changes to slicing. It is a thread about teaching players how to make money slicing, so please don't close it and say it belongs in the other threads.

Second, to forum players please don't complain in this thread share new ways you have learned to make credits with slicing.

Ok, so after reading over 120 pages of complaints on the change I decided to try and learn how to make money with this new slicing change. And after a lot of trial an error I am making pretty good money with it.

I read numerous times that MODERATE lock box missions are the only ones that return schematics (I think that is broken, but hey). So I tested this and it seems to be true. I am level 27, with 400 slicing, and have 3 companions. I use to run only abundant or rich lock box missions but now I make money selling schematics.

I run level 49-50 or 41-48 MODERATE lock box mission only. At 400 slicing I never fail and I make about 100 to 300 credits per return (which is nothing). However, every 3 to 5 missions I get a blue or purple schematic. Now since the changed while adventuring and sending 2 companions I earned 16 schematics.

I put them on auction house this morning. With in 2 hours 12 of them sold. Most I sold for 2,500, but I had one sell for 10,000 and another for 25,000. So that was an additional 60,000 credits from 3 days of slicing.

This does not include boxes I picked up along the way.

Anyone have any other ideas or success stories?

You are still failing to grasp the numbers, probably since you are level 27.... at level 42 on Hoth and I make the same amount you made in 3 days of work in a few hours of questing, clearing trash and selling greys... At 41 (my last repair) my repair bill was 14K

Medpacsa cost 2-15K at 40. Skills cost 15-27K each.

So, the fact that you feel 64K profit in 3 days is good is just adding to the whole issue that got slicing nerfed in the first place... it is NOT good, not even decent. Also, a 1 in 4 chance at schematics is much better than I have seen, it is more like 1 in 6 or 1 in 8 missions and the missions cost anywhere from 1.4K to 2K to run, average profit per hour by the spreadsheets posted here post nerf are around 6 credits an hour for missions of this level as well (200 for the next tier down, but lesser schematics as well) gathered over a several hour period.

So, I think you went to the high end on your "profit average" as well. Again, this is what I was pointing out before... at level 27 you have zero clue of what things really cost at 40+ and got a crew skill nerfed that returned only decent credits for a level 50 because you were able to run level 50 missions with level 50 rewards when you should NOT have been able to.

Nobody.... and I do mean nobody from any other crafting or gathering class is going to suddenly feel sorry for slicers. Saying slicing is not profitable is just demonstrably false... go gather a freaking node and that's 100% profit. Try selling mats which may not sell, or crafted stuff which may not sell, and that after spending cash to buy the recipe in the first place, and possibly more cash on missions for specialty rares.

Ya, don't feel sorry for Slicers. I mean, if they want to send companions on missions, they lose credits, and get nothing in return.

OH, you're underworld trading? Hmm, lets check the GTN:

Xonolite: Grade 2 Underworld metal

Average Price = 2000 credits each

Mission produces = 2-4 Xonolite

Cost of Xonolite mission = 8 minutes, 250 credits

Yup, this is balanced. Slicers should send companions out for 40 minutes and lose 500 credits, and Underworld Traders should send companions out for ten minutes and make 8000 credits worth of mats.

TLDR

Bioware, please nerf biochem.

Ya, don't feel sorry for Slicers. I mean, if they want to send companions on missions, they lose credits, and get nothing in return.

Yup, this is balanced. Slicers should send companions out for 40 minutes and lose 500 credits, and Underworld Traders should send companions out for ten minutes and make 8000 credits worth of mats.

TLDR

See if that price holds post nerf. I was spending tons on biochem mats before the nerf but now I am leveling a bioanalysis alt and keeping the creds.

Every single time! MAN! So why do you run missions if they are never, ever profitable now.

Yup, this is balanced.

Maybe. Then again, maybe that guys stuff just sits on the market. No guarantee! Unlike slicing.

Slicers should send companions out for 40 minutes and lose 500 credits, and Underworld Traders should send companions out for ten minutes and make 8000 credits worth of mats.

TLDR

Wait... when did biochem come into this! :p

Like you said earlier: sour grapes. That's all this is. And I continue to thank you for your honesty.

10,000 and 25,000 credits selling what you got from Slicing?

May I please transfer to your server?

I've never seen anything like that, not even close, and I've been a 400 Slicer for quite awhile. I don't think we can take those as average numbers for most people. Most 340 level missions sell for around 2-3k on my server, and I've actually vendored some for 900 because they were selling for less on the GTM.

I've never seen anything like that, not even close, and I've been a 400 Slicer for quite awhile. I don't think we can take those as average numbers for most people. Most 340 level missions sell for around 2-3k on my server, and I've actually vendored some for 900 because they were selling for less on the GTM.

Same on shadowhand, you won't make anything off missions. You will end up losing money off them. It's better to vendor anything but bio missions.

10,000 was a level 46 shield generator Cyber tech schematic

25,000 was a rare purple level 50 Speeder bike schematic

Edited by ArchonGamer

Oh really? I guess Bioware made slicing for suckers who miss the old go and grab gathering professions in WoW.

Go learn what slicing is about and how it is different from other professions.

10,000 was a level 46 shield generator Cyber tech schematic

25,000 was a rare purple level 50 Speeder bike schematic

that epic bike sells for only 2K on our server (wound)... other not sure but i have both in the bank i think..

most i was able to sell prenerf was epic slice missions for 20K. i know! :D Last one sold night before nerf, felt so guilty.

Slicing is profitable right now. Go out and open a lockbox = profit.

Or am I wrong?

But why should slicing be the only gathering profession that has to do this in order to make something?

I've leveled Biochem without gathering a single bio node out in the world. Why should slicers have to?