Please remove premades from reg pvp

RaithHarth

making it to where i could only play with one of my friends at a time, in a system where i'm practically guaranteed to be against the other however-many-guildies-happen-to-be-on would guarantee i quit this game. pvp with my friends and the lack of anything else to do are the only things keeping me here.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

making it to where i could only play with one of my friends at a time, in a system where i'm practically guaranteed to be against the other however-many-guildies-happen-to-be-on would guarantee i quit this game. pvp with my friends and the lack of anything else to do are the only things keeping me here.

You could still play regs.

1. Add 8v8 ranked solo queue. Gated by being lvl 70 with a high legacy Valor rating and gear (no Bolster)

2. Remove lowbies and Mids brackets and merge them with lvl 70 reg queue

3. Boost everyone in regs to lvl 70 and bolster everyone to max gear lvl.

4. Reduce premades in regs to 2 man only or only make the queue pop premade vs premade (when possible. ie more than two premades in the queue)

5. Keep both solo and team 4v4 ranked with solo more of a learning curve for team ranked (better rewards and status playing team)

6. There would actually be one less queue than now because lowbies, Mids and reg lvl 70 would be merged into one queue.

The problem in letting lowbies into 70, even if they are bolstered, is that they will lack some key abilities or utilities. Think of an operative without stealth and roll or a sorc without a bubble or a merc without any of his god DCDs having to handle themselves in a big lvl 70 melee where everyone jumps them with all their might because they expect far greater resistance. These guys would be nearly as hindering as the famous 1 sabered mara. In addition, the possibility to level through PVP and become skilled in an "easy mode" will be gone even for the few who would be still smart enough to want to do it (rather than recall PVP exists after reaching lvl 70 or using tokens).

Less related to the quote, let's sum up the other suggestions about the premade vs solo imbalance:

1. Separate queues. Problem: In many cases, the population can't support this, and premade might not pop for hours.

2. Split a single premade in half / Initially forbid premade from being greater than 2. Problem: Several premade players say they wouldn't enjoy playing like this. I used to argue about the logic in this, but rethinking about it, talking logic about "why do you enjoy this and not that" isn't so relevant because in the end, people enjoy what they enjoy. As long as this form of joy is not "MMO-sadism" or anything else that is game breaking on its own such as "I enjoy stacking the deck and stomping pugs with all my might and ruining the competitiveness and I don't care they suffer for it", I suppose it stands.

3. Leave things as they are. Problem: Many games involve a hard handicap on the solo queuers (those who happened to pop in the non-premade side). I doubt it is fair to keep solo queuing as a dice roll of "will I be with or against the premade".

4. Make the queue wait a little longer if the current match is going to be a single premade and soloes and attempt to find another premade instead until the timer elapses (5 mins / 10 mins / X mins while X is a formula dependant on people online, number of ongoing matches and the time of the day, time spent in queue until getting to this point, etc.). Problem: increased queue times. Not too dramatically in the cases where there was simply an odd number of premades around and one just had to finish a match, but more felt in the cases where there actually is only one premade queuing on the server currently (though I suspect in such cases the queue time would be long already and people won't be able to tell the difference. It depends how smart the timer formula is. A "dumb" formula like "10 mins" will cause a greater increase than a "smart" formula which is situational).

You probably guessed I advocate suggestion #4. I think the problem there is the least problematic. It is quality over quantity with a rather small decrease in quantity, granting you in all cases but the worst ones (which are the cases where there is only one premade online at all) a bottom-cap for quality.

Edited by Rafiknoll

The problem in letting lowbies into 70, even if they are bolstered, is that they will lack some key abilities or utilities. Think of an operative without stealth and roll or a sorc without a bubble or a merc without any of his god DCDs having to handle themselves in a big lvl 70 melee where everyone jumps them with all their might because they expect far greater resistance. These guys would be nearly as hindering as the famous 1 sabered mara. In addition, the possibility to level through PVP and become skilled in an "easy mode" will be gone even for the few who would be still smart enough to want to do it (rather than recall PVP exists after reaching lvl 70 or using tokens).

Maybe I wasn’t clear when I said boost everyone to lvl 70.

By boosting to lvl 70 I meant all abilities and utilities too. This is exactly what they do in GW2 and it works perfectly ok.

Then you don’t have to worry about different lvl pvp brackets or people with more abilities like you do at the moment in lowbies and Mids.

Edited by Totemdancer

Maybe I wasn’t clear when I said boost everyone to lvl 70.

By boosting to lvl 70 I meant all abilities and utilities too. This is exactly what they do in GW2 and it works perfectly ok.

Then you don’t have to worry about different lvl pvp brackets or people with more abilities like you do at the moment in lowbies and Mids.

That works fine for people rolling new alts with specs/classes they've played before.

For real new players though - how do you go from a level 20 with a half dozen abilites and a couple of utilities to a level 70 with all abilites/uitilies without being completely lost?

Also: will the game auto-select utilites and quickbar settings for you? It still takes me 30s to 1min to reset everthing when switching specs at level 70. A couple of times I've forgotten to re-arrange my quickbars after switching specs before getting into combat, and it makes for a fun, fumbling, oh **** experience.

The point is - just giving a level 20 access to the level 70 abilites won't help them much.

You could still play regs.

4. Reduce premades in regs to 2 man only or only make the queue pop premade vs premade (when possible. ie more than two premades in the queue)

6. There would actually be one less queue than now because lowbies, Mids and reg lvl 70 would be merged into one queue

Therefore there should be no reason (other than gating) for more experienced players to be in regs.

So you want my team of experienced players to run only 2 people, in a system thats not meant for experienced players?

I repeat, if you're reading this thread and getting any cute ideas Musco, I am already bored of your game to the point where I'm just waiting for something better to come along. Change to my ability to play with my friends will be a hard stop.

Edited by KendraP

Don’t worry, he’s not taking any ideas from this thread. They are not going to break up premades. And they are certainly not going to split the ONLY queue that consistently pops, and no, pretending that eliminating two completely dead queues somehow balances this is naive enough that even Eric could see through it.

Hello Again. :)

Quick Summary.

I will try summarize this thread as Quickly and To The Point as I can. Alot of ideas have been discussed and there is much more agreement than not. Let us (again) try not to repeat, what has already been discussed.

The idea of making separate ques for premades and solo has been agreed is only viable with much higher population aka. "The Low Population Issue" and basicly all agree to that.

The actual problem with "Premades" are not "Premades" in general. The problem is a "3-4-man Higher Skilled Trinity Comp Premade" as this often leads to massive advantage, which often leads to /face stomp --> leading to alot of leavers and alot of people not enjoying the PvP. Some argue that is just how PvP Works (Be good and play with friends = win) and that is also not disputed.

This is detailed into a generally better 8 man pug team. Better communication, more focused DMG, coordination in all elements especially CC and obj. def. etc.

The problem is not "Premades" in general just to repeat. An MMO should favor social skills and people enjoying to play with friends and no one has yet said that is not very important.

Alot of disagreement was made about the above, as some believed it was a `mad cuz bad´ issue (which could be the case) but this was cleared out of the way. As the primary concern was to make overall PvP for New and more Casual players more enjoyable. They are the ones specifically having an incredible hard time dealing with a "3-4-man Higher Skilled Trinity Comp Premade".

3 suggestions made, not disputed yet - as far as I could tell.

1) Only allow 3 man premades in regs.

2) Do not allow Premades with both a Tank and Healer in a single Premade (as this disrupts the matchmaker).

3) Make the matchmaker focus almost exclusively on elo, MMR or whatever hidden rating players have and not gear.

/please stop making arguments that are only valid for 5% of the PvP population, as a claim to some normality. As it only brings anyone here, less than 1%, closer to making an suggestion to the Devs…

Edited by Mannok

B]3 suggestions made, not disputed yet.[/b]

2) Do not allow Premades with both a Tank and Healer in a single Premade (as this disrupts the matchmaker).

3) Make the matchmaker focus almost exclusively on Elo MMR or whatever hidden rating players have and not gear.

I have disputed all of these claims.

1. First I've seen most people claiming 2 man, not 3. A "group" of standard size is 4 people. A standard pvp match has 8 per side. The maximum ratio then of grouped to ungrouped players in one side of a pvp match is 50%. I wish I could carry any 4 idiots I'm grouped with through anything, but the simple fact is I can't. I also have people of wildly varying skill levels and competency. I'm not running some mafia of only the best classes/rroles(though i will generally make sure a group has a healer)/"elitists". I'm running a like minded group of people whose only goal is to have fun together.

2. The matchmaker considers the role of the people in the premade. If i have a tank and healer in my premade and there are say 2 other healers in queue, the 2 other healers usually go to the other team. The mismatching occurs when i am the only tank and my friend is the only healer, and since we're grouped we have 2 support roles. This is pretty irrelevant as a team with a tank and no healer is basically less useful than a team with all dps. This is, therefore, a population issue - more people are in queue, the matchmaking would work as intended. As someone said in the solo ranked thread, do you want bad pops or no pops?

3. Does it even include gear? I can personally guarantee that it considers the "hidden rating" as now i am always grouped with the 118k sorcs running tank stims, where before they were somewhat evenly distributed. At any rate, given their (understandable) secrecy surrounding the hidden rating system, neither of us can definitely say anything. My assertion is based on personal observation, and thus subject to bias. Everyone else, however right they may feel, is in this category as well, unless you are claiming Musco himself has told yiu the intricate details of the hidden rating system. And if he did, please send it to me too, because I would like to know how you ruined my game time too.

Okay..

/please stop making arguments that are only valid for 5% of the PvP population, as a claim to some normality. As it only brings anyone here, less than 1%, closer to making an suggestion to the Devs…

This is now edited into thel "Original Post".

Edited by Mannok

I don't see why anyone would care about winning/losing a reg I could see getting farmed a few games in a row would get upsetting but this is swtor pvp in 2018 it means nothing even at the highest levels of play its pretty laughable seeing as how... What 40 some odd people play at that highest level. Bioware turned it in to a cxp and mat grind outlet use it as such? Be thankful you have cross faction now so its other peoples job to carry you "remove premade" players at times and or maybe its time you go play a solo player game. This is a Multiplayer game MMO you know... Playing with friends is a thing and is enjoyable with friends. If you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen my god its regs in 2018 who cares farmed or not.

Okay.

Just as you are clearly new to the thread and clearly didn't read any of the previous posts. I will still not give you the benefit of the doubt.

What you are doing is just /framing.

You are just repeating what all the wannabee "Elitists" in here have already said a 100 times. You frame it so that any argument made against you is just "someone" taking Regz to serious (it is laughable transparent). Your attempt, along all the rest, is just wrong and show the inability to handle complexity and a need for simple memes. Your post is 100% spam.

Edited by Mannok

The only solution is population. That is the truth. That would bring money and with money they could fix the infrastructure of this game, and reopen 8v8 ranked and the different game modes would flesh out etc etc.

Anything other than an increase in population cannot fully solve any problems currently plaguing this game. We also know that an increase in population wont happen. So that means that any manifestation of population must be protected and any changes made to the foundation of the game must not fragment those bubbles of population.

So as I see it, there's a group of people who like to play single/smallgroup/companion/story type stuff, there's a group that likes to do raids and there's a group that likes to do PVP.

The only directives coming forth should seek to increase those populations and if no more true/new population is going to be gained then the only option left is to cause those groups to overlap.

Lastly, the efforts that used to be put forth to gaining population must also now share the responsibility to retain what is had for as long as possible.

They also won't inhibit people from playing. Obviously, they let mat farmers play ranked. Thats much more damaging to the other players experience and chance to win than a premade on the other team. Yeah, some premades, like mine, rarely lose and dominate you into the ground relentlessly giving you only the two options of 20 deaths or surrender/leave, but those arent the normal premades. And to be honest, premades are much more critical of other premades than they are of the random solos. The premades that are normally in queue are much less effective than the combined effort of decent solo players working together for a win.

So, in conclusion. They won't split the queues. They won't split premades. They can't. They are trying make the groups intermingle as much as possible and it's showing some success, they won't take any action to the contrary.

Any realists out there? Lemme know.

The only solution is population. That is the truth. That would bring money and with money they could fix the infrastructure of this game, and reopen 8v8 ranked and the different game modes would flesh out etc etc.

Anything other than an increase in population cannot fully solve any problems currently plaguing this game. We also know that an increase in population wont happen. So that means that any manifestation of population must be protected and any changes made to the foundation of the game must not fragment those bubbles of population.

So as I see it, there's a group of people who like to play single/smallgroup/companion/story type stuff, there's a group that likes to do raids and there's a group that likes to do PVP.

The only directives coming forth should seek to increase those populations and if no more true/new population is going to be gained then the only option left is to cause those groups to overlap.

Lastly, the efforts that used to be put forth to gaining population must also now share the responsibility to retain what is had for as long as possible.

They also won't inhibit people from playing. Obviously, they let mat farmers play ranked. Thats much more damaging to the other players experience and chance to win than a premade on the other team. Yeah, some premades, like mine, rarely lose and dominate you into the ground relentlessly giving you only the two options of 20 deaths or surrender/leave, but those arent the normal premades. And to be honest, premades are much more critical of other premades than they are of the random solos. The premades that are normally in queue are much less effective than the combined effort of decent solo players working together for a win.

So, in conclusion. They won't split the queues. They won't split premades. They can't. They are trying make the groups intermingle as much as possible and it's showing some success, they won't take any action to the contrary.

Yup "we" all agree, as stated in my summary. The "we" are the people that don't need to make 5% subjective analogies, that a fraction of what you say, might be, wrong.

/Good day

Edited by Mannok

Okay..

This is now edited into thel "Original Post".

I'm not trying to speak for the pvp community, but for myself and as a guild leader. I'm also not trying to speak for the devs, i am merely warning them of a potential consequence. I can only talk to what I experience personally.

You are the one making sweeping recommendations for the supposed majority, and attempting to get the devs to change something based on that supposed 95%.

As much as it pains me to do so, I agree with @Bleloch

Yup "we" all agree, as stated in my summary. The "we" are the people that don't need to make 5% subjective analogies, that a fraction of what you say, might be, wrong.

/Good day

What are you even trying to say? Are you saying Bleloch is right about the population but you are part of some kind of majority that's right about something?

If so that's very black and white thinking. This is not a yes or no question. There are multiple perspectives to consider.

Edited by KendraP

I'm not trying to speak for the pvp community, but for myself and as a guild leader. I'm also not trying to speak for the devs, i am merely warning them of a potential consequence. I can only talk to what I experience personally.

You are the one making sweeping recommendations for the supposed majority, and attempting to get the devs to change something based on that supposed 95%.

As much as it pains me to do so, I agree with @Bleloch

What are you even trying to say? Are you saying Bleloch is right about the population but you are part of some kind of majority that's right about something?

If so that's very black and white thinking. This is not a yes or no question. There are multiple perspectives to consider.

Okay :) lets talk thrash.

Yes I am part of "Black and White" thinking clearly demonstrated in this ENTIRE THREAD.. I clearly am...

Did you even make the effort of reading through the thread before commenting about it? Eveything you said in 1-3 is already been discussed 5 times over already..

I am a formidable person who adapted to the notion that -> if you got nothing to add, then don't speak.. So make your points.. If it includes more than 5% of players I am sure Devs will know its' validity.

I made the Summary because it seemed like the last 2 pages was just repeating was had been said 5 times already.

Edited by Mannok

3) Make the matchmaker focus almost exclusively on elo, MMR or whatever hidden rating players have and not gear.

I like ideas 1 and 2. Allowing only 3 per premade could be a compromise between my 2 and Kendra wanting 4.

I’m all for people playing in premades. My goal and suggestions were to make it more enjoyable for those who are getting stomped by premades.

With numbers 3, I’m 99% sure this is already happening because I’ve proved without a doubt in my mind that gear isn’t taken into account.

I think if it took gear into account properly, matchmaking might work better.

I’m a realist and i think you’ve summed up the state of the game and what needs to happen to make it great.

Being a realist I’m 99.99% sure EAware will never do it, ever. They just don’t care about player enjoyment or the quality of the experience and quality of their product.

Honestly, I think we all throw around ideas because we love the game and hope Bioware will apply a bandaid fix to somethings that need it and hope they won’t make others worse.

Ideally Bioware would make swtor 2 and do it with lots of money, talent, and little oversight from EA. They would employ different people and have a culture that put the players experience first over their own egos and agenda (at the expense of what players want).

Okay :) lets talk thrash.

Yes I am part of "Black and White" thinking clearly demonstrated in this ENTIRE THREAD.. I clearly am...

Did you even make the effort of reading through the thread before commenting about it? Eveything you said in 1-3 is already been discussed 5 times over already..

I am a formidable person who adapted to the notion that -> if you got nothing to add, then shut up.. as not everyone is entitled to make a point. Not everyone got a point to make at all.. So.. Make your point.. If it includes more than 5% of players it has validity and I am sure Devs will know..

I made the Summary because it seemed like the last 2 pages was just repeating was had been said 5 times already.

I've been replying to this thread almost from the beginning, and yes it has been repeating itself time and again, and the 2 most recent pages of repetition are a direct result of you "summarizing" the thread - the very definition of repeating.

You have no way of knowing if you speak for 5% of players or not. I make no such pretense - i speak for myself and on occasion my guild.

I have fact checked this thread

Claim: People only group up so they can spend quality time making fond memories with their close personal, in-game friends from whom they cannot bear to be parted without experiencing actual physical pain.

Fact Check: False. It breaks my heart, but false. Hard data shows what within 7.3 seconds of a group forming the marauder will ask "Who is going heals?". Science has also conclusively proven that 87.6% of premades form about carelessly unattended sorc healers. Groups may be partly about the fun of online friendship (sorry, wut?) but they are mostly about the fun of winning.

Claim: The population is too low to allow people to express a preference in match making

Fact check: False. The SWTOR PVP population is low because people don't enjoy SWTOR PVP. If you're having fun roflstomping the other team with your premade then maybe, just maybe, the 8 people who are being roflstomped aren't having as much fun as you? Even the four slot fillers on your team, wandering around like people offering the couscous salad at a barbeque might prefer to be handing out the succulent sausages of roflstomp themselves. Giving people some control over matchmaking might make them enjoy SWTOR PVP more. And then they might q more often. It might even encourage some newbies to try out pvp in an environment where they don't feel like a party balloon snagged on a Ferrari driven by a lottery millionaire.

Claim: Premades would not be a problem if the population was higher

Fact check: False. Size doesn't matter. Computers are dumb. Automated matchmaking that prioritizes quantity over quality will place groups in with solos. And that may be fine. Many people may prefer rapid pops over quality of game. But some don't and we would like an opt-out.

Claim: This is not the biggest problem in SWTOR PVP

Fact Check: False and FAKE NEWS. Healing and DCDs in SWTOR pvp are pitch perfect. Gear levels in pvp are a fantastic idea, class/disciplines in SWTOR have been meticulously balanced through a long and detailed analysis of real world data. Stuns and slows are just enough but not too much. Being dropped into an arena match when you queued for a warzone is a delightful surprise. Truculent PVE players forced to pvp for gear are a joyful addition to the player base. Warzone objective gameplay is generously rewarded above deathmatching in mid. Ranged aoe spam interrupting node capture is like the refreshing patter of summer rain and Dsync finally brings the fun of RNG into Huttball. I could go on. We all could. And the best part? The dev team completely recognizes the delicacy of this nirvanic balance and are achingly reluctant to change anything. Happy days.

Claim: It doesn't matter, warzones are for lolz, serious PVP is in arenas

Fact check: False. Lolz are like a ramekin dish of covfefe, different people spoon from different sides. But if you want to use warzones to lolz about then don't be offended if I prefer to spend my time with people who rise to the challenge of a strategic pvp that rewards thought over keyboard thrashing out healer stuns like a trembling chihuahua on a caffeine drip. I enjoy Sudoku and Philosophical discourse, I imagine you enjoy crayoning in My Little Pony picture books with your tongue sticking out the side of your mouth and methodically working your way through click-bait lists eagerly expecting to disbelieve number 7.

Claim: Restricting premades is a violation of my human rights and should be no platformed

Fact check: False. I unconditionally respect you and your long fight for recognition of your basic MMO rights to q in a premade. But I also want you to respect my rights to not play with you. So give me a little button that says "Don't match me with groups" and I'll take the slower pop times because I'll enjoy the matches I do get more. If your pops get slower then that was your choice to prioritize "funzies with friendzies" over q pop times. Which I respect.

Claim: Anyone who kills me is a try-hard playing an OP class, anyone I kill is mad coz bad

Fact Check: Yes, this is true

Those terms seem reasonable, great ideas.

I've been replying to this thread almost from the beginning, and yes it has been repeating itself time and again, and the 2 most recent pages of repetition are a direct result of you "summarizing" the thread - the very definition of repeating.

You have no way of knowing if you speak for 5% of players or not. I make no such pretense - i speak for myself and on occasion my guild.

IDK Kendra, for some reason he has appointed himself as the Supreme Summarizer of this thread.

Okay.. Then I will just say GL and HF.. Summarize it yourself, there are 18 pages.

Edited by Mannok

solo queuers are tired of being stomped.

they want a separate queue for premades.

game cant support separate 8v8 population wise.

solo queuers change request to "pit premade vs premade" matchmaking.

queue is already trying to do that, either through mythical reg elo, or support role maximums.

summary

solo queuers are tired of being stomped.

they want a separate queue for premades.

game cant support separate 8v8 population wise.

solo queuers change request to "pit premade vs premade" matchmaking.

queue is already trying to do that, either through mythical reg elo, or support role maximums.

summary

No sorry Seterade. None of the above can be said to be true, unless you clear out 18 pages of weird azz assumptions.

So NO Offense.

I will reply to this "more or less "Word for Word" repeat of 10+ pages of assumptions" like the 3-4 previous posts.

1) No. No Solo Que has ever said to be tired of or whined about being /stomped by equally skilled players. They are making it clear, that High Skilled Trinity Comps are a HUGE Mother Focking problem to 8 vs 8 "supposed" PUG teams (as in supposed random 8 v 8). This ruins a large amount of Warzones for 8-12 players at a time. It has been argued that the Matchmaker cannot sort teams effectively, when 2 Support are allowed to que together (FOR APPARENT REASONS that no one needs to get explained).

2) No, They do not and this was debunked 500 threads and pages ago due to the "low population argument" and no one disagreed.

3) This is already included in the answer to 2).

4) Yes that is legit :) but as that has been discussed and is already happening, nothing has been suggested to change anything.

4) We have no clue, what the matchmaker is trying to do, in terms if Skillz vs. Gear.. NO idea.

Jebez can't people just ignore this topic, unless they got a carefully thought out argument.

Edited by Mannok