Big Delays After 5.9.2

UlaVii

This. No load testing done because they're not able.

Oh, they are quite able. They could just insert about half a thousand artificial accounts with SHs and see how the system handles that many. The simple fact is that they don't, because they didn't think it could cause a problem when -every- -single- decoration in -every- -single- SH has to have LOS calculations done on them constantly when they didn't have to before. I agree with others who believe this is the source of the problem, but quite frankly am shocked such a thing wasn't tested before release. Surely, the shear number of additional calculations that was going to add to the engine should have warranted stiff testing on that alone.

"Let's be honest, MMO players just aren't good at that sort of thing." - SWTOR Dev

I guess we've found what the STWOR Devs aren't good at.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have Rishi. But their point about the issue being tied to flagships and strongholds may be why the Essles flashpoint on Satele crapped out.

Sounds like the server died, not the flashpoint. Unknown if the two issues are related... possible, but impossible to diagnose as such.

Also, I dont have the Rishi stronghold but definitely had the delay on my flagship and in my strongholds. My money is on the LOS / collision detection of decorations as the root cause.

Edited by azudelphi

It's extremely limited if not barely noticable outside of Strongholds and Flagships. The problem as Eloi alludes, seems to be a decoration issue... any other weirdness may be caused by the background diagnostics. Played a few hours last night; had zero problems when I wasn't in a player housing instance. Granted, it may affect planets that have strongholds. I will find out when I get to those, if it isnt fixed by then.

I agree with those that say extending the 2XP/CXP could buy them some goodwill though...

Speak for yourself. I cannot leave my SH. If I do I get dropped to character selection with a prompter telling me my characters are unavailable due to maintenance. I can log in though. But since all of mine are always parked at SHs...

I would not grade this a minor, cosmetic issue.

Speak for yourself. I cannot leave my SH. If I do I get dropped to character selection with a prompter telling me my characters are unavailable due to maintenance. I can log in though. But since all of mine are always parked at SHs...

Try making a new character. See what happens.

Oh, they are quite able. They could just insert about half a thousand artificial accounts with SHs and see how the system handles that many. The simple fact is that they don't, because they didn't think it could cause a problem when -every- -single- decoration in -every- -single- SH has to have LOS calculations done on them constantly when they didn't have to before. I agree with others who believe this is the source of the problem, but quite frankly am shocked such a thing wasn't tested before release. Surely, the shear number of additional calculations that was going to add to the engine should have warranted stiff testing on that alone.

"Let's be honest, MMO players just aren't good at that sort of thing." - SWTOR Dev

I guess we've found what the STWOR Devs aren't good at.

That. You do load testing on databases or websites the same way, lots of clients with generated or recorded data hitting the system at the same time. User testing, what happened on the PTS, that's just UA testing, for functionality you'd have difficulties properly describing in an algorithm. Both is needed and is rather normal for any system really. Would surprise me if this wasn't done here at all. Or maybe not that surprising.

That your problem is isolated to a stronghold issue? It's called diagnostics and is better than the alternative

I have lag without high ping on the single character I had standing around on Tatooine trying to do heroics as well. Companion dying from fall damage out of nowhere, unable to Force charge to target and only leaping halfway, ability lag. I think I said that before. It's not constant, but bad enough that trying anything more complicated than heroics is useless. I'm not the only one who reported that, so your attempt at trying to pin this to a SH-only issue is probably both late and invalid.

Well, I'm done with this until it's confirmed to be fixed.

it's funny we are going on a few days now, and we are still having issues with SH, not being able to log on.. access characters, and we have no eta on a fix...cause it's not a priority.. if cartel market had a bug we all know how fast Bioware would respond.

What's really annoying even though I have issues logging into my toons and playing them… when I finally do I have mail from gold spammers.. if only Bioware would work on messing with them over the people actually playing the game and paying for it, I'd be a very happy customer

I know this it totally unrelated to the lag issue, but this is something I noticed that wasn't in the patch notes. Did you really ADD another 150 max hooks to the Manaan Stronghold on purpose? Seriously? That place is a pain in the arse to decorate as it is! You dropped my painful slog to 100% back down to 81% in one fell swoop. Ouch!

I have lag without high ping on the single character I had standing around on Tatooine trying to do heroics as well. Companion dying from fall damage out of nowhere, unable to Force charge to target and only leaping halfway, ability lag. I think I said that before. It's not constant, but bad enough that trying anything more complicated than heroics is useless. I'm not the only one who reported that, so your attempt at trying to pin this to a SH-only issue is probably both late and invalid.

So, a planet with a stronghold...

Edited by azudelphi

I know this it totally unrelated to the lag issue, but this is something I noticed that wasn't in the patch notes. Did you really ADD another 150 max hooks to the Manaan Stronghold on purpose? Seriously? That place is a pain in the arse to decorate as it is! You dropped my painful slog to 100% back down to 81% in one fell swoop. Ouch!

Noooooooooo! This sucks mine is back down to 81% too. It took so much effort to hit 100% without making it too crowded. At first I hoped they had added hooks to some of the areas that were lacking. Like the opposite sides of the fountains maybe the middle of some rooms. Or outside the windows underwater where some sides had no hooks just empty space. But nope no new hooks just an increase to how much you can place.:jawa_frown:

So, a planet with a stronghold...

Not for me Have issues on Tat and even Darvannis and No Stronghold on Tat. Certainly none on Darvannis.

In fact on DarvannisI could not get out of my instance without fast traveling out was stuck in the "weird looking" loading screen

Edited by LeMage

Just noting that I've had no problems with the PVE game since patch day. Fleet imperial side works fine. Am able to switch between characters np. Lag (and I play from Australia) is pretty standard. Am able to access trainers, bank, merchants, quest/mission-givers work fine, player star ship has no problems. I have one player Fortress (Drumond Kaas) but have not visited it (and don't plan to for awhile). I have had no issues with planets Quesh, Hoth and Belsavis.

That's all.

Anybody else having their game freeze right when you get past the launcher and the character select screen music plays ? I'm having that issue and i'm hating it right now.. not sure if it's because of all the lag or what not ... but it's getting me pretty ticked off .... @Bioware can you please look into this ? I'm sure at least one other is having this problem ....

The game is in a very sad state. I thought things were limited to strongholds, but tonight I'm seeing considerable delay in flashpoints. Just played through Mandalorian Raiders and I would say 25% of the time an ability was delayed a second or two. The lag on actions is also spilling over to Fleet now. I've been playing this game since 2012, and I believe this is the worst I've ever seen it.

Anyone else having the game freeze on you when the character selection screen music starts to play ? I can't log on SWTOR today because of it and my connection has full bars.... so.. yeah... Bioware help ? Please ?? Getting me pretty pissed....

Not for me Have issues on Tat and even Darvannis and No Stronghold on Tat. Certainly none on Darvannis.

In fact on DarvannisI could not get out of my instance without fast traveling out was stuck in the "weird looking" loading screen

Tatooine does have strongholds. I don't think it matters whether you have personally unlocked it or not, the existence of all the loaded Tatooine strongholds (and their decoration assets) is what I suspect is affecting that planet.

Darvannis is strange. My worry is that any instance of lag or packet drop will be attributed to the same delay issue that strongholds seem to be responsible for though...

and now we can't drop group, nor change instances, nor travel to strongholds, nor any other quick travel from spawn point, resulting in toons we can't log in to without them getting farmed.

Glad fixing this is such a priority.

Removed, I guess it might be different on different servers. SS works fine outside of strongholds/flagship (maybe also fleet, haven't been on it enough to say). Everyone I talked to on SS (20+ people, not counting gen chat, talking bout people I know) have 0 issues in PVP, in raids or questing.

I guess you are the lucky server then, because it seems to be happening on every other server.

This happened to me many times. I got a round to by restarting my pc. That worked a few times and then it crapped out again. Then I switched servers and restarted the game, then switched servers and it let me back in.

As soon as you can get back in, get you character out of the SH and don’t go back.

Edited by TrixxieTriss