Conquest Changes Coming in 5.8

EricMusco

These changes look good to me. It seems the devs looked at the problems with the current system and tries to fix them. Escpecially the stronghold requirement bugged me because I like to build my strongholds theme based. My Yavin Stringhold for example is based on tpombs and sith artifacts. However it means that I never reached 100%. A stronghold should feel like a home, not like some place with stuff litered around.

The only question I would have is: A vendor was mentioned in the road map with completed conquests as a requirement. Any information on that?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

In Game Update 5.8, we’re giving the Conquest system a pretty big overhaul. This thread is meant to talk through all of the changes that are coming and to answer any follow-up questions that you have! For starters, we wanted to resolve the reward delivery issues we have had in the past. While the team was in there, they decided to give the system a touch up.

SNIP

-eric

You mentioned this but didn't actually go into any details on it. Do you mean you'll stop giving out rewards on Tuesdays? Will you be giving them out on Mondays now? I've never understood why it was never Mondays in the first place. That whole day you cannot earn anyway, there is just a big lock and timer on the page...what's the point? Just give us the rewards on Monday and there will be no more rewards/titles/achievements missing on Tuesday resets/maintenances/patches.

Maybe there's a super strong reason for it to be the way it is currently, but it is not apparent to me from this side of the table.

The two were always on the same level because both had exactly the same bonus.

What this means is that now people like me who want a nicely decorated stronghold don't feel pressured to fill it all the way to 100% just to get the bonus and can instead focus on the aesthetic.

Honestly, it's how it should have been done in the first place.

The only potential variable they should have ever added into the mix was how many rooms you had unlocked because people were always just gonna game the system to get the maximum bonus anyway.

I agree.

Most of my strongholds look like junk yards or warehouses because we had fill all of the hooks for max bonus. Now I'll be able to go through and clean up a lot of clutter.

I assume they are trying to stop "making a plan of attack", especially for crafting weeks, so guilds can't have 5 million pts 5 minutes after reset.

Seems silly to me, but I know some folks complain about that.

possibly, but they're rebalancing points, so they could attack crafting that way. If not, then all it would do is delay the crafting bomb, not eliminate it. I think its just a lazy way out for them, they don't need to maintain any kind of schedule now that its "random"

Hi Eric,

While I welcome some changes I think the 150% bonus just for having 6 SH's doesn't take into account those of us with 6 strongholds "filled with chairs" spent a minimum of 50-70 million unlocking said strongholds... Why should someone who bought a stronghold & spent nothing unlocking it get the same bonus..??

I agree with your frustration. However, Im looking at it in a more positive light. Now, my guildies have a better opportunity to getting the stronghold bonus which will up our guild points in total by quite a bit. Yes we put in TONS of hard work not only credit-wise but also amount of time to fill every inch of those strongholds with chairs, lights, trophies and more trophies. If we stuck with the ideology that if we went through something bad, that everyone else has to also... then we would still be walking 10 miles barefoot in 20 feet of snow to school every morning like our grandpappies before us.

This also reminds me of the time where we were once charged to learn our new abilities and when we hit max level it cost a few million credits to get our end game abilities. Through voicing our frustration, the devs made it free. Change is a good thing.

possibly, but they're rebalancing points, so they could attack crafting that way. If not, then all it would do is delay the crafting bomb, not eliminate it. I think its just a lazy way out for them, they don't need to maintain any kind of schedule now that its "random"

One less thing for a very small team to worry about is a benefit at this point.

I have a few questions regarding SH's going forward.

1. Is there any bonus at all associated with them now if they are decorated?

ie - I don't want a window full of SH's I don't use to get the bonus. If I have SH's I have put legit decorating work into get a bonus percentage.

2. Is the percentage of shame going to still show in public listings?

Say I put the finishing touch on my SH and have it decorated exactly the way I want. Does it still show everyone that this lazy sob only went to 70% completion? Instead of stuffing random crud in to hit 100% like a champ pack rat.

If I have enough prestige to publicly list it shouldn't that be good enough?

3. Going back to #1 if I need to keep 6 SH's up for the bonus. Can I at least get the empty ones to show at the end of the list? So my real SH's can be at the forefront.

I put a lot of work into some of these. If the ones I don't even want to use have to remain in place to receive the bonus can something be done to sort them right?

I agree with your frustration. However, Im looking at it in a more positive light. Now, my guildies have a better opportunity to getting the stronghold bonus which will up our guild points in total by quite a bit. Yes we put in TONS of hard work not only credit-wise but also amount of time to fill every inch of those strongholds with chairs, lights, trophies and more trophies. If we stuck with the ideology that if we went through something bad, that everyone else has to also... then we would still be walking 10 miles barefoot in 20 feet of snow to school every morning like our grandpappies before us.

This also reminds me of the time where we were once charged to learn our new abilities and when we hit max level it cost a few million credits to get our end game abilities. Through voicing our frustration, the devs made it free. Change is a good thing.

That is not my point at all... I agree people with 100% unlocked strongholds should be able to decorate them however they wish... Be that to 20% or 100%... My issue is that someone who spends nothing unlocking the SH, which is incredibly expensive, (I'm looking at you Yavin 4..! ) getting the same bonus as someone who has... People already get so much of this game for no money/no effort why are those that do put cash & time into the game constantly seem to get shafted for doing so... Just sayin' ;-)

TLDR - Small planets mean small rewards, big planets mean big rewards.

Great so small guilds only get small rewards, yet big guilds get big rewards, how is that justified, just because a guild decides to stay small they should not be penalised for it, and likewise a big guild should not be rewarded just for being big. Size should not matter! (just dont ask your girlfriend!).

Seriously why should any old guild that just takes on any/everyone just to increase its size be rewarded with bigger rewards.

This will just force (encourage) people to join big guilds only.

Just stop now... Change your thought processes that size matters, dont encourage monopolies.

Great so small guilds only get small rewards, yet big guilds get big rewards, how is that justified, just because a guild decides to stay small they should not be penalised for it, and likewise a big guild should not be rewarded just for being big. Size should not matter! (just dont ask your girlfriend!).

Seriously why should any old guild that just takes on any/everyone just to increase its size be rewarded with bigger rewards.

This will just force (encourage) people to join big guilds only.

Just stop now... Change your thought processes that size matters, dont encourage monopolies.

Unless they are greatly improving the rewards, the differences will likely be nominal, IMHO. I wouldn't worry about it too much -- unless they tie the new augment mats to Conquests rewards.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

That is not my point at all... I agree people with 100% unlocked strongholds should be able to decorate them however they wish... Be that to 20% or 100%... My issue is that someone who spends nothing unlocking the SH, which is incredibly expensive, (I'm looking at you Yavin 4..! ) getting the same bonus as someone who has... People already get so much of this game for no money/no effort why are those that do put cash & time into the game constantly seem to get shafted for doing so... Just sayin' ;-)

Its just like the abilities we used to have to purchase. Tons of fellow guildies spent millions on millions more than i did because they grinded out their toons to max level right away while i only focused on one. I only had to spend a small percentage on my one toon compared to their 10+ toons. After the change to free, they in no way were upset that they grinded millions of credits and now no one has to do that anymore. This change may seem like its a slap in the face to all of us who spent tons of time and money to unlock our strongholds, but i dont believe it is. I would prefer our guildies to focus on grinding conquest objective points versus grinding heroics just to try to unlock their strongholds eventually and then throw crap in it. This game is grind focused enough, dont you think? And for all we know, they may be changing the cost of the strongholds with this whole revamp thing.

Just wanted to add that we are on the same page regarding the people should be able to decorate how they want, ive always hated that i had to cap each stronghold to 100% ie manaan.

Giving full 150% SH bonus (whether or not it has to be fully unlocked) for empty strongholds won't make things easier or fairer for smaller guilds, if that's what you were trying to do. It will do the opposite. They can get full bonus now, but so will the people in big guilds, and there are more people in big guilds to benefit from this.

Also, it is really unfair to the people who actually paid to unlock everything AND use millions of credits to decorate them properly. Just because someone whined about someone else getting bonus from SH full of chairs (while they could have easily done the same if they wouldn't be so lazy), you shouldn't give middle finger to the people who have actually done something to earn their bonus.

If you can't make a difference with different amount of effort put into strongholds, how about at least base the bonus on prestige. Give everyone 150% for free, sure but 300% for those who have, let's say at least 80k prestige? Or just 75% bonus for empty (with low prestige) SH, and 150% for higher prestige SH. Or whatever numbers you want, just as long as the people who actually made the effort get some bonus over generation "I'mtoolazy".

I honestly didn't think it would be possible to add more RNG and tiers into this game, but guess I was wrong.

First you dumb down the game so that a blind monkey could play it with hands tied behind his back, when others have actually had to learn to play the game. Then you add insta 65 and 70 tokens, because "leveling is too hard", and those people are now ruining end game content from others, because they don't know how to play their classes (there are actually healers around who don't know what is cleansing). So basically you are teaching players to be lazy, and next they'll start whining about someone else winning conquest (because they are too lazy to actually work for it, like the winning guilds do) - and what happens next? Surprise: let's give everyone a free bonus to make the whiners happy, because god forbid, it's too hard to actually DO something to earn stuff in the game.

You may think that's a perfect recipe for keeping players happy, give stuff away free or without any effort. I'm old enough to know it's not. That will only make them want more free, easy stuff, and if you stop catering, they'll just move on. In the process, you have treated unfairly the people who have supported this game for years by playing and buying stuff from CM (including those expensive decorations), and in my experience, people who have been treated unfairly long enough, will also move on, no matter the context. How many long time subs can you afford to lose by doing stuff like this?

Giving full 150% SH bonus (whether or not it has to be fully unlocked) for empty strongholds won't make things easier or fairer for smaller guilds, if that's what you were trying to do. It will do the opposite. They can get full bonus now, but so will the people in big guilds, and there are more people in big guilds to benefit from this.

Also, it is really unfair to the people who actually paid to unlock everything AND use millions of credits to decorate them properly. Just because someone whined about someone else getting bonus from SH full of chairs (while they could have easily done the same if they wouldn't be so lazy), you shouldn't give middle finger to the people who have actually done something to earn their bonus.

If you can't make a difference with different amount of effort put into strongholds, how about at least base the bonus on prestige. Give everyone 150% for free, sure but 300% for those who have, let's say at least 80k prestige? Or just 75% bonus for empty (with low prestige) SH, and 150% for higher prestige SH. Or whatever numbers you want, just as long as the people who actually made the effort get some bonus over generation "I'mtoolazy".

I honestly didn't think it would be possible to add more RNG and tiers into this game, but guess I was wrong.

First you dumb down the game so that a blind monkey could play it with hands tied behind his back, when others have actually had to learn to play the game. Then you add insta 65 and 70 tokens, because "leveling is too hard", and those people are now ruining end game content from others, because they don't know how to play their classes (there are actually healers around who don't know what is cleansing). So basically you are teaching players to be lazy, and next they'll start whining about someone else winning conquest (because they are too lazy to actually work for it, like the winning guilds do) - and what happens next? Surprise: let's give everyone a free bonus to make the whiners happy, because god forbid, it's too hard to actually DO something to earn stuff in the game.

You may think that's a perfect recipe for keeping players happy, give stuff away free or without any effort. I'm old enough to know it's not. That will only make them want more free, easy stuff, and if you stop catering, they'll just move on. In the process, you have treated unfairly the people who have supported this game for years by playing and buying stuff from CM (including those expensive decorations), and in my experience, people who have been treated unfairly long enough, will also move on, no matter the context. How many long time subs can you afford to lose by doing stuff like this?

its the problem with players in this game. they are way too lazy and then complain when someone else was smarter or less lazy than them, and then beg for ease to spite the not lazy people.

[*]In addition to one-time and repeatable, there are now also daily objectives. Some current objectives will change type with 5.8.

Are the dailies actually new quests? Or are they re-branded quests from the available pool of event activities?

[*]The Stronghold bonus still applies but has been changed. Each owned Stronghold counts for a 25% bonus, up to a max of 150%. Sorry to all you “Stronghold full of chairs” owners out there.

I have a couple decorated strongholds... but when you give people stacks of 999 items, what else do you think we're going to do with them?

That aside... if people only have to make the initial purchase and NOT open up the full stronghold, I'm pretty sure a LOT of veteran conquerors will be upset.

[*]Weekly Conquests are no longer on a set schedule and will be randomly selected each week. The exception to this rule is that Conquests that coincide with recurring events will still be on a set schedule (such as the Gree event).

I'm dubious of this... I realize this will take 'chores' off the list for BioWare to manage, but with the way RNG has wreaked havoc on players with Galactic Command, etc... don't you think this is a bad move?

Guilds that have been waiting for a rare planet could end up waiting for an exceptionally long time to get the planet they need.

TLDR - Small planets mean small rewards, big planets mean big rewards.

This sounds suspiciously like we are being forced to choose planets based on reward value... and not title.

That is to say... if the guild needs a planet title but that planet title has low reward value... the reward for declaring for that planet and not winning is diddly... when we could have gotten a better reward by declaring for the more difficult planet.

WHY can't each planet have 3 tiers of declaration? 3 CQ Point objectives available to declare for and only one can be chosen?

Edited by Aderes

There are some good things in these changes you're making, but there are also not so many good things. Let's go over them in order, shall we?

Hey folks,

• Completing objectives will now award credits, experience points, and Command Experience in addition to their Conquest points.

Considering that most of the objectives, (Heroics and Dailies, PVP, GSF, OPS, FPs and Uprisings), already do this, I don't think this was a priority, but still a nice thing to do.

• Conquest point values for all objectives have been rebalanced across the board.

This can be really good or monumentally bad. What does "rebalanced" actually mean for you, guys? And can you give us some example?

• In addition to one-time and repeatable, there are now also daily objectives. Some current objectives will change type with 5.8.

I'm on the fence about this. Could be good, giving more options to people that don't PVP or craft, or bad if it these objectives plays a major part in how many points you will gain by completing them. As for the type changes, again, can you give us some example?

• The Invasion bonus for Conquest objectives has been removed.

Why? I don't think the bonus posed any kind of problem, except maybe when it came to calculating how many points you'd actually get from each objective. But even that was easily fixed, since the formula was known.

• The Stronghold bonus still applies but has been changed. Each owned Stronghold counts for a 25% bonus, up to a max of 150%. Sorry to all you “Stronghold full of chairs” owners out there.

I could, maybe, get behind this if what you actually mean is that each stronghold still needs to be completely unlocked, even if it remains empty, to actually count for the bonus. If, as many of us thinks, it means that you just need to buy the stronghold to have the bonus without needing to fully unlock it, then this is a big no. And your little comment at the end of it doesn't help one bit.

If all people needs to do, now, to get the full bonus is just to buy the stronghold then it's a big "**** you" to each and everyone of us that put time and effort into farming the credits needed to buy and unlock everythin.

It doesn't matter if people have stuffed them full of chairs - because stronghold counts for nothing in this game, there's not even any sort of leaderboard for it and with the merges Prestige points means even less than before - because people still worked their *** off to get it done, so they should have the right to choose to fill them full of junk if that's what they want to do. Also, even if you will still need to fully unlock 6 SHs, you can bet that the majority of players will leave them empty, except maybe for the basic utilities like bank(s), gtn, modification station and mailbox.

• Weekly Conquests are no longer on a set schedule and will be randomly selected each week. The exception to this rule is that Conquests that coincide with recurring events will still be on a set schedule (such as the Gree event).

Again, why? We finally got you to give us a schedule that was, more or less, regularly updated and now you go and change it? What purpose does adding another RNG thing to game serves, exactly?

It's just going to mess up all the guilds that actually prepare in advance an work on a full set of guild events based on each conquest week. Not to mention those hunting down a specific planet (or planets) to complet the Galaxy Conqueror achievement; this will not make them happy. At all.

Also, since pretty much nothing except the Xenoanalyst and the Eyeless counts as conquest objectives, why are you still keeping the conquests tied to the recurring events? It doesn't make much sense at all.

On the Guild Conquest front, we have gone even further on changes. We have untied the Guild rewards from the Conquest leaderboards, with the exception of the Guild in first place as they will still receive the Conqueror title and planetary bonuses. A big change is that now every planet falls into one of three designated Invasion Targets. These targets differ by the minimum Conquest Points thresholds that we call “Planetary Yields.” These thresholds determine the minimum points a Guild has to earn to receive those Conquests rewards. The higher the yield the harder it is for the Guild to receive the reward, but also means a better reward.

You evidently didn't think this through. This new system - seriously guys, what the hell is with you and RNG/tiers systems?! - won't change anything. Big guild will still win and small guild will be left with scraps. Exchanging the leaderboard for thresholds not only doesn't help smaller guild chances of winning a planet or getting the rewards, but they also add another layer of difficulty. Right now, all you need to do get at least the reward is to get into the top ten; with this change you will also need to meet a certain number of points, which will increase the difficulty, especially if a guild wants to try and go for a bigger planets. In short, you're making things worse than what they currently are.

We made this change to encourage more leaderboard competition among similarly sized Guilds, smaller Guilds going after smaller Yields, etc. Note that this is not a restriction, just a recommendation. If a larger Guild wants to go for lesser rewards in a smaller yield, they can, and the same is true of a smaller Guild trying to go for the highest yield.

You're basically creating a bigger problem, here. Yeah, maybe in the beginning some of the smaller guild will try and go for the medium/biggest planets, but that will stop pretty fast, because they will have even less of a chance of actually getting anything out of it.

All the while, bigger guilds will monopolize the small and medium yield because yeah, maybe the reward will also be smaller, but the time and effort required to actually get something for their "work" will also be less, leaving more time for other things.

All in all, a few good things. Many potentially really bad things.

At some point, you will have to realize that you can't disregard the majority of your playerbase just to appease a few. Especially not if you want to keep the game afloat.

Edited by aryss

True, but I guess I just don't like having them filling up the pages over the SH I actually use and decorated.

What will happen when future SH are added? Is it going to decrease the value of each SH to keep the cap at 150%?

It already is capped at 150 percent. You can have 10 strongholds now versus the 6 prior to the server merges and the cap is still 150 percent.

There are some good things in these changes you're making, but there are also not so many good things. Let's go over them in order, shall we?

Considering that most of the objectives, (Heroics and Dailies, PVP, GSF, OPS, FPs and Uprisings), already do this, I don't think this was a priority, but still a nice thing to do.

This can be really good or monumentally bad. What does "rebalanced" actually mean for you, guys? And can you give us some example?

I'm on the fence about this. Could be good, giving more options to people that don't PVP or craft, or bad if it these objectives plays a major part in how many points you will gain by completing them. As for the type changes, again, can you give us some example?

Why? I don't think the bonus posed any kind of problem, except maybe when it came to calculating how many points you'd actually get from each objective. But even that was easily fixed, since the formula was known.

I could, maybe, get behind this if what you actually mean is that each stronghold still needs to be completely unlocked, even if it remains empty, to actually count for the bonus. If, as many of us thinks, it means that you just need to buy the stronghold to have the bonus without needing to fully unlock it, then this is a big no. And your little comment at the end of it doesn't help one bit.

If all people needs to do, now, to get the full bonus is just to buy the stronghold then it's a big "**** you" to each and everyone of us that put time and effort into farming the credits needed to buy and unlock everythin.

It doesn't matter if people have stuffed them full of chairs - because stronghold counts for nothing in this game, there's not even any sort of leaderboard for it and with the merges Prestige points means even less than before - because people still worked their *** off to get it done, so they should have the right to choose to fill them full of junk if that's what they want to do. Also, even if you will still need to fully unlock 6 SHs, you can bet that the majority of players will leave them empty, except maybe for the basic utilities like bank(s), gtn, modification station and mailbox.

Again, why? We finally got you to give us a schedule that was, more or less, regularly updated and now you go and change it? What purpose does adding another RNG thing to game serves, exactly?

It's just going to mess up all the guilds that actually prepare in advance an work on a full set of guild events based on each conquest week. Not to mention those hunting down a specific planet (or planets) to complet the Galaxy Conqueror achievement; this will not make them happy. At all.

Also, since pretty much nothing except the Xenoanalyst and the Eyeless counts as conquest objectives, why are you still keeping the conquests tied to the recurring events? It doesn't make much sense at all.

You evidently didn't think this through. This new system - seriously guys, what the hell is with you and RNG/tiers systems?! - won't change anything. Big guild will still win and small guild will be left with scraps. Exchanging the leaderboard for thresholds not only doesn't help smaller guild chances of winning a planet or getting the rewards, but they also add another layer of difficulty. Right now, all you need to do get at least the reward is to get into the top ten; with this change you will also need to meet a certain number of points, which will increase the difficulty, especially if a guild wants to try and go for a bigger planets. In short, you're making things worse than what they currently are.

You're basically creating a bigger problem, here. Yeah, maybe in the beginning some of the smaller guild will try and go for the medium/biggest planets, but that will stop pretty fast, because they will have even less of a chance of actually getting anything out of it.

All the while, bigger guilds will monopolize the small and medium yield because yeah, maybe the reward will also be smaller, but the time and effort required to actually get something for their "work" will also be less, leaving more time for other things.

All in all, a few good things. Many potentially really bad things.

At some point, you will have to realize that you can't disregard the majority of your playerbase just to appease a few. Especially not if you want to keep the game afloat.

Everything I think, just explained more eloquently than I can... ;-)

Weekly Conquests are no longer on a set schedule and will be randomly selected each week. The exception to this rule is that Conquests that coincide with recurring events will still be on a set schedule (such as the Gree event).

That is a bad idea. Did you get tired of making Conquest schedules or something? First you cancel part of the schedule because of merges. and start a new one after, now you are just giving all to RNG? We have enough RNG in the GC system, we don't need anymore, especially in Conquest.

The Stronghold bonus still applies but has been changed. Each owned Stronghold counts for a 25% bonus, up to a max of 150%. Sorry to all you “Stronghold full of chairs” owners out there.

Some elaboration is required. Do you mean owned SH as in "completely unlocked one", or just "bought SH"?

Edited by Gelious

[*]Weekly Conquests are no longer on a set schedule and will be randomly selected each week. The exception to this rule is that Conquests that coincide with recurring events will still be on a set schedule (such as the Gree event).

-eric

Why do I want more randomness? If this means more crafting weeks I'm going to be unhappy. What's wrong with knowing what we're getting ahead of time? Everything being random does not equal exciting; it equales annoying and frustrating.

re:encryptions

Anyone can get them now.

If encryptions are now available to all... does that mean "Personals" are still 'personal goals' and, in addition, Guild communities now have a 'Guild target' similar to the 'personal target' system that replaces the Top Ten mechanic?

Edited by Aderes

As I understand it...

Guilds will still be competing on a leaderboard to win the planet.

- Small/Medium/Large target rewards will not impact competition in the slightest.

Six empty Strongholds does mean 150% bonus, yes.

-eric

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! :D I love it!

A question - does it mean ANY six? Like six Kaas city? Or do they still have to be six unique strongholds for the 150%?

ETA:

Hey folks,

There are a number of changes coming to Conquest objectives:

• Weekly Conquests are no longer on a set schedule and will be randomly selected each week. The exception to this rule is that Conquests that coincide with recurring events will still be on a set schedule (such as the Gree event).

-eric

I've been waiting for the Dread War for nearly 2000 years...can this please be up soon?

Edited by Sarova

The way I read it is that EVERY guild who meets the yield gets the reward, but only the #1 guild gets the title. So if big guilds want the baby reward, fine, knock themselves out, but if a little guild wants to spend a week turning it up for the midbie reward, awesome. If I read it wrong, it still gives middle-sized guilds an edge. If even half the big guilds chase the small planets, that will leave enough openings on the middle and large planets for us to sneak in and snag a top10 spot.

As far as the people complaining about all the money they spent on SH decos... You still have a bomb-looking SH. It's not like that goes away because the decos don't determine your bonus now.

But then, I went with a subpar bonus for this whole time because I refused to have a chair farm for an SH, I wanted cool looking, so now I get to have my cake and eat it. Woot.