Has Eric and the team kicked the bucket?

DarthSealth

If I recall correctly, you barely even play the game at all, as you've mentioned your highest command rank toon after a year is only like rank 40 and I believe you stated you mostly browse the GTN.

:rolleyes: Nonsense, and completely off topic. But I get it... you are trying to discredit my opinion by discrediting my play style and game play in general. Lest some players take your attempt as factual.... let me respond off topic for a moment...

I play almost every day... with my guild mates, on a variety of different content. I also play a variety of characters too. What I do NOT do is grind Cxp... because I do not need to. ;) Yes.. I spend about 20 minutes a day working the GTN... as that pays on average 5-10M credits per day... which is much more efficient then grinding for credits, and infinitely better then whining and crying about the player economy and player set prices in an MMO.

But it's not like you actually care about what I do or do not do in game play.. other then to go off topic and make assumption based personal attacks for no other reason then to try to discredit. Tell you what..... you play the way you like, and I will play the way I like.

Now.... back on topic and off the meta-nonsense...... the studio is in a no win situation with respect to communications, and you have basically admitted that to be true. If they had a better track record with how and when they communicate... perhaps players might cut them a bit more slack... but seriously doubt it. In any event... that credibility ship sailed away years ago. I would also like to point out that even when they do communicate, they at times back-track on what they communicate and get accused of dishonesty, deceit, and malfeasance toward consumers. Barking and whining about them not communicating enough is a popular pastime with some in the forum, but it is hardly the giant tragedy some would like to portray it to be.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea that people will take issue with no communication and take issue with communication, therefore a no win scenario for the devs is a false.

The issue is with the exact same thing, a lack of communication or poor uninformative communication that tells the community nothing. It is the failure to address issues or even appear to be willing to address them where the problem lies.

If I ask you if you are aware of the poor state of the game and you ignore me, say no comment, or start talking about the weather the issue is always that you are failing to discuss the issue. It is not a case of me being unreasonable and having a go at you for not talking to me and then having a go because you are addressing the issue. In all 3 cases you are not discussing what needs to be discussed.

So to take any Yellow post as a viable and meaningful discussion about the poor state of this game and the likelihood of development ceasing is to give far too much credit to yellow posts and place a far too low threshold on what constitutes good, open and transparent communication.

Posting that you are going to pass on a bug report is not the same as discussing the lack of content. Posting that your not dead is not the same thing as discussing the future of the game. Pointing at fluff replies and saying see they are acknowledging the issue is trying to turn meaningless platitudes into a meaningful acknowledgement that the issues have been acknowledged which isn't the case.

So rather than say they are damned if they do or damned if they don't, its close to the truth to say they are damned no matter how creatively they may seek to ignore the players and the issues.

Should they engage the players, then people may not like the proposed future, but that is a discussion on those topics not the lack of communication. Which is not the same thing as the dissatisfaction with the lack of engagement as they are different things.

:rolleyes: Nonsense. I play almost every day... with my guild mates, on a variety of different content. I also play a variety of characters too. What I do NOT do is grind Cxp... because I do not need to. ;)

Yes.. I spend about 20 minutes a day working the GTN... as that pays on average 5-10M credits per day... which is much more efficient then grinding for credits, and infinitely better then whining and crying about the player economy and player set prices.

I apologize for the false accusation about you only playing the GTN then. You're free to play what you enjoy, as am I within reason.

But it's not like you actually care about what I do or do not do in game play.. other then to go off topic and make assumption based personal attacks for no other reason then to try to discredit. Tell you what..... you play the way you like, and I will play the way I like.

No, I'm interested in what you do in game to past the time and enjoy yourself, I just found it peculiar you had such a input over galactic command when you yourself rarely partake in it.

To hear you talking about personal attacks really is rich, your normally one of the most smug and condescending of posters here always talking down about certain groups of people. Even in the quote here:

There are MMOs out there where the studio will hold your hand and treat any perceived boo-boo you want to show them.

you essentially call them whiners or babies. You may not be as direct as Ratajack or Petfish, but you certainly attack people day in and day out, you just camouflage it in well worded and concise posts. Unlike the previous posters mentioned, I actually do hold quite a bit of respect for you as while we wont always agree, okay... rarely.... alright ...we will disagree 99% of the time, but you view things differently, you don't simply wish to troll and simply have a different perspective. I just don't like when you're painting broad and various strokes of the community with insults or simply look down on them.

I'm by no means innocent myself, I rag on top EA execs all the time, and while it is possibly warranted for releasing unfinished products and making p2w games, it does make me look a bit hypocritical, but I will say that's a different subject altogether.

Now.... back on topic and off the meta-nonsense...... the studio is in a no win situation with respect to communications, and you have basically admitted that to be true. If they had a better track record with how and when they communicate... perhaps players might cut them a bit more slack... but seriously doubt it. In any event... that credibility ship sailed away years ago. I would also like to point out that even when they do communicate, they at times back-track on what they communicate and get accused of dishonesty, deceit, and malfeasance toward consumers. Barking and whining about them not communicating enough is a popular pastime with some in the forum, but it is hardly the giant tragedy some would like to portray it to be.

I admitted they won't be able to please everyone, but they can certainly please one crowd rather than making everyone unhappy. It's up to them to make well on promises both in terms of communications and on content, their actions will have consequences if they do well, and if they fail to meet the criteria they set. I will say that its okay to complain a little bit about pushing back a date or flashpoint, we were all anticipating it hoping to enjoy it, but I put my foot down when it comes to rapid barking and death threats. Regardless, I doubt the flack from pushing back a date won't be nearly as fatal when compared to complete silence.

Yes, they will get complaints, threads of disinterest, and threads of dislike for getting content or information behind schedule, but its not as damaging as complete silence.

No offense, but look at us: we fight,accuse each other of rudeness, kiss and make up.. just like in kindergarten . If you were a developer, you would have ran from forum as fast as you could too..This forum is a madhouse, one with insufficient orderlies.I'm not a big fan of E.M. or K.K. but honestly i understand why they chose not to communicate with us.

BTW, i owe you an apology for last evening.

What goes on here is baby s**t compared to the Diablo III forum. Those people are vicious animals!:eek:

What goes on here is baby s**t compared to the Diablo III forum. Those people are vicious animals!:eek:

Or even the wider net about this game.

In fairness the people here have been very restrained about voicing frustration with the way things are done or the way things are going. Of course neither restrain nor passion appears to illicit anything more in the way of progress so neither seem to be of any use.

At this point I just want some information about ANYTHING new. literally. Not changed, not adjusted.. brand new content, any at all that all my characters can do!

I dunno I wouldn’t mind bass classes and stances restored.

Also original class stories have an option of difficulty (Story mode, Veteran, Hardmode) which will scale phases to your setting.

What I am going to recommend. If you want to know if the devs are posting check this forum

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php

While they don't always post on a topic I am interested in I do notice that post regularly on various other issues.

Until Eric's post here yesterday, it had been 8 days since they had posted anything. Just look at what his ONE post did to this forum - it lifted spirits and gave hope. We need that more often than once a week...the community attitudes directly reflect their own involvement.

Until Eric's post here yesterday, it had been 8 days since they had posted anything. Just look at what his ONE post did to this forum - it lifted spirits and gave hope. We need that more often than once a week...the community attitudes directly reflect their own involvement.

It appears they only post one day each week, but hopefully next week that post will include the roadmap.

Edited by Costello

Perhaps there can be some middle ground, but posting when they have little to say is fraught with peril for the following reason. My experience is that when forum / community managers get chummy with the player base via the forums it inevitably leads to...

"OMG, we know you are reading the forums but why are you responding to posts about favorite pet or why Kai Zyk is sooper hot but ignoring the myriad of posts about real important game issues?!?!?!?! You think Kai Zyk is more important than class balance or bug fixes?!?!?!?!"

Then if they do in fact engage on substance, but don't change the outcome it becomes: "OMG, you say you listened to our feedback but took no action!!!!"

Sometimes, if you have nothing of interest to say, it is best to keep quiet. Frankly, I was stunned when Keith and Eric said they encouraged PM's -- they've even hinted that it is a preferred mode of getting your point across, which is boggling to me.

With that said, I think it is bizarre they can't post the 5.8 roadmap right away (particularly given my strong view that we already know what is in it), or provide a broad overview of 2018 without giving away spoilers. For whatever reason, though, they are either unwilling, unable (or both) of doing so.

Here, though, we will disagree (no worries, I still like you): I neither need nor desire daily affirmations from Eric, unless it is directly germane to the game. A few more posts here and there might satiate the appetites of some, so sure, go for it. But Andryah is right on this one -- they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

P.S. I don't think you physically threatened a poster in a different thread. Three lefts eventually do get you on the right course. :p

Hugs,

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

At this point I just want some information about ANYTHING new. literally. Not changed, not adjusted.. brand new content, any at all that all my characters can do!

I think most gamers want that and while we will get a small amount of new content. I feel it wont be worth repeating and thats a problem as well. Kind of like unbara, copera and anything to do on iokath.

My worry is we are going to get something very shallow. It will be nothing but expanded talks on what was shown at the end of the August 2017 road map.

Talks of the one FP.

Talk of the one OPS boss.

Talk about their revamp of conquest and their drive to get us to do old content again. How many more times can that be pushed in their agenda?

Talk about whatever the so called multiplayer gameplay experiences for both PvP and PvE is.

Thats the best we might can hope for beyond that a little bit about an expansion but it will be so scarce of solid information it will do nothing but tick people off in the long run.

I think most gamers want that and while we will get a small amount of new content. I feel it wont be worth repeating and thats a problem as well. Kind of like unbara, copera and anything to do on iokath.

My worry is we are going to get something very shallow. It will be nothing but expanded talks on what was shown at the end of the August 2017 road map.

Talks of the one FP.

Talk about their revamp of conquest and their drive to get us to do old content again. How many more times can that be pushed in their agenda?

Talk about whatever the so called multiplayer gameplay experiences for both PvP and PvE is.

Thats the best we might can hope for beyond that a little bit about an expansion but it will be so scarce of solid information it will do nothing but tick people off in the long run.

I think its taken too long for there to be so little included.

This is the winter roadmap and the Spring Roadmap combined along with very little content through out 2017. While it seems to have taken a great deal of time to finalize, so to only include what is already known would beg the question what is being finalized since all of that has been decided for some time and could have been posted weeks ago.

I suspect we will see details of the new conquest system, which to be of any use would have to include new content, otherwise what is the point of just changing the point value of old content is worked out, it may as well be left how it is.

Likewise I am sure they will look to make good on returning companions done right, few could call how the companions returned in 5.7 was done right. More so given that this will almost certainly be the last time they appear in the story so to do it right it should be a reunion but also a tribute to the previous adventures with them. For some they have been the players companion for the last 6 years.

While I am sure they are well aware that the flashpoints and operation have failed to capture any real story elements. While the Heralds send you to kill Tyth, it seemed once done they forget to mention he has family or give you any reason to go after them. Meanwhile the Flashpoints have offered no real story and instead just tagged on some cut scenes to look to give some reason for you to run across the flashpoint killing bosses that have nothing to do with why you are there in the first place.

The server mergers have been done, the combat nerfs have been done, GCXP is done with, double xp may as well be permanent if they use it any more. So its been a long time coming but they must address the issues or accept they are just counting down the days to maintenance mode as they give few any reason to log in and no one a reason to return.

Talks of the one FP.

After last years huge lack of stuff, I share this worry. It will set the future of the game, if there's next to nothing yet again they will lose so many more players.

Talks of the one FP.

God it had better be more than that...

Here is what I am expecting as the 6.0 update and roadmap for the year.

DvL version 2.0: :eek::eek:

* Get a Empire Character from each class to max level, go thru KoTFE, KoTET, and Iokath (no skipping Knights to get to Iokath, that is cheating) on all 4.

* Play each Heroic as a requirement.

* Play each flashpoint as a requirement.

* Play each Raid as a requirement.

* Rinse and repeat on Veteran.

* Rinse and repeat on Nightmare.

* Get to GC 300 on at least 1 (2 if they are feeling frisky).

* While your are at it, max Valor also sounds like a something people will like.

* Repeat on Republic side.

* Reward will a really neat unique follower, whose favorite gift is Romance items, but they won't work as they will remain as broken as they have been since 4.0.

All of the old content gets reused, as we must like it since we keep playing it, right? :rolleyes:;)

Feeling a little cynical lately. Take this with the grain of salt as intended.

And what exactly, that is realistic, would make you happy?

Yeah, I thought so.

/disappointed

Dasty

I've been with you on the "enjoy playing the game while you can" plane of thought, Dasty. Except I find that I'm not anymore. I'm not enjoying repeating the same things ad nauseam. So much so that my play time in the game has decreased very, very drastically. This from someone who used to spend many hours every single day in the game.

What is realistic? That they start acting like a AAA MMO. I don't give a crap if they are developing another game, they are killing this one. Put some freaking effort in.

Realistically though, they could start with posting more than once every week and a half here on the forums. Start talking about what's coming up instead of making everyone wait - especially if all that's coming is the stuff we already know is coming! It's not like there is any suspense here, just give us an idea. Making us wait for a road map that will give only cursory information about stuff we already knew about just isn't good enough anymore. I also really miss the days of the regular live streams. Bring that back! In a lot of ways I think it helped enforce their own deadlines. But more than that, it gave us a feeling of being "in touch" with the developers of the game, and knowing that we weren't spending our time on a game that wasn't getting attention, but quite the contrary: they had plans for the future and that made me want to stick around to see those come to life.

Something more than maintenance mode style content would make me happy. A couple of class-locked companion returns and a single overdue Ops boss also isn't good enough anymore.

I always intended to be here until the lights went out, but I find it hard to even find a reason to log on these days, and that's seriously saying something when you're talking about someone who has played the game enough to have 75 level 70s and more than a dozen of them at GC 300. It's hard to find someone more hard core dedicated to playing this game than me, and most all aspects of it, too.

To Bioware, I say: Give me a reason to log on. Give me something to be excited about, something to look forward to... something on the horizon. Right now? There isn't much of anything to look forward to and seems like nothing on the horizon. Tease some content for 6.0, it won't kill ya to give us something to look forward to, and have some hope in... but it might kill ya to continue to be silent, or repeat the same things you've been saying for the last 6 months as a "road map" for the next 3.

Edited by PennyAnn

I've been with you on the "enjoy playing the game while you can" plane of thought, Dasty. Except I find that I'm not anymore. I'm not enjoying repeating the same things ad nauseam. So much so that my play time in the game has decreased very, very drastically. This from someone who used to spend many hours every single day in the game.

What is realistic? That they start acting like a AAA MMO. I don't give a crap if they are developing another game, they are killing this one. Put some freaking effort in.

Realistically though, they could start with posting more than once every week and a half here on the forums. Start talking about what's coming up instead of making everyone wait - especially if all that's coming is the stuff we already know is coming! It's not like there is any suspense here, just give us an idea. Making us wait for a road map that will give only cursory information about stuff we already knew about just isn't good enough anymore. I also really miss the days of the regular live streams. Bring that back! In a lot of ways I think it helped enforce their own deadlines. But more than that, it gave us a feeling of being "in touch" with the developers of the game, and knowing that we weren't spending our time on a game that wasn't getting attention, but quite the contrary: they had plans for the future and that made me want to stick around to see those come to life.

Something more than maintenance mode style content would make me happy. A couple of class-locked companion returns and a single overdue Ops boss also isn't good enough anymore.

I always intended to be here until the lights went out, but I find it hard to even find a reason to log on these days, and that's seriously saying something when you're talking about someone who has played the game enough to have 75 level 70s and more than a dozen of them at GC 300. It's hard to find someone more hard core dedicated to playing this game than me, and most all aspects of it, too.

To Bioware, I say: Give me a reason to log on. Give me something to be excited about, something to look forward to... something on the horizon. Right now? There isn't much of anything to look forward to and seems like nothing on the horizon. Tease some content for 6.0, it won't kill ya to give us something to look forward to, and have some hope in... but it might kill ya to continue to be silent, or repeat the same things you've been saying for the last 6 months as a "road map" for the next 3.

Well put, I doubt that you are alone in finding you don't log in much anymore.

I think I have spent all of 10 minutes on my smuggler to experience a very poor return of his love interest and that has been it for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

They have tried a lack of communication and a lack of content over the past year, it may be time to try something different. Give people something to look forward to and something to do in game. At this rate even if there is an expansion by the time it launches people will have moved on to pastures new.

Hell I'm even looking at the WoW expansion cause they appear to be going back to Alliance vs Horde which is a good thing. Just a shame they still have the cartoon characters where every human male looks like Popeye etc. So while unheard of in the current trend to get two days with yellow posts a week, here is hoping the Roadmap drops today with great news and before the next ESO update launches on Monday with their image designer and 2 new complete dungeons (I know unheard of not to just be releasing one boss at a time stagged over a year). Cause at this point more of the same will see the only people playing the game those doing it out of spite to refuse to allow the lack of anything to do to beat them.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.

Eric, could you guys just be honest with us?

Personally, I don't care if the game is in maintained-mood as long as I know that the game will stick around - even without much new content. However, atm, I am concerned about purchasing cartel coins to customize my characters with new outfits or black dyes, because I have this nagging feeling that you are trying to milk the game for its last worth, and that just around the horizon, the off-switch is looming.

Stop keeping us in the dark, tell us what is going on and what we can reasonably expect.

For you.. and the handful cheering you on here......... setting aside the almost universal agreement that we all desire more content, not less........ something I think just about everyone here in the forum agrees about....

I encourage you to learn to recognize when it is time to simply take a break and play something else. Honestly.. we have all been there done that at some point on an MMO, including this one. A break very often refreshes your enjoyment of the game when you come back later. Believe it or not.. this actually works for a lot of players... and the very often return later with a much better appreciation for the game that months before frustrated them to the point of getting worked up as you are at this moment.

In contrast.. what exactly is served by your extremely dismissive and negative view about the game right now? That is a serious question. What benefit are you gaining by continuing to so something with a game that you clearly do not enjoy any more ... to the point where you don't want to log in? And why.... why would you depend on some "hope based desperation" that requires they tease out future content plans to keep you hooked in your disappointment??

There are a lot of MMO options out there, and even a good number of Star Wars game options out there that you can use to defuse some of your frustrations. There is no shame in taking a break and coming back later when they drop some content you personally do appreciate and approve of. It is actually a healthy thing to do when you are frustrated... and I have done it myself a number of times over the years covering a number of MMOs.. including this one.

On the other hand.. you are free to keep making yourself feel miserable about the game and blaming the studio... and just stand pat and not log-in, but keep subscribing and keep attacking the game in the forum. Yes.. that is clearly an option... but how does that solve your unhappiness with the state of the game?

Edited by Andryah