Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

Right with 1 topic "full" already..

And still no focus, on the case i would like to add my 5 cents on how a possible fix could be...

1. Undo the nerf, and let rewards be as they are
  2. Make sure you cannot do missions that are over your level area.. (Ect. you're level 25 - and are capped at the mission area (25-31))

This way you cannot as level 16 have 400 in slicing skill, and earn lots of credits..

But at level 41+ the outcome of your missions are only helping you with your skills..

I just realized on my lvl 44 sorc with Synthweaving/Archeology/Underworld Trading that i have to spend roughly 300k credits to get 380 and 400 trainings..

And at level 50 i would need 330k for speeder training - not to mention regular class skills costs 25-35k each.

This is the problem with them nerfing it so early. They failed to take into account the majority of whiners had not even _approached_ level 50 yet to see what their expenses would be.

And the problem is, now crafters cannot sell their wares for a decent profit to pay for said skills. We're back to farming lowbie heroic zones for credits. Wooohooo, what fun that is.

I won't argue it did not need a nerf - I never did. I encouraged a nerf, but this thoughtless action provoked by a bunch of raging low-leveled characters is very disappointing and makes the outlook for this game quite grim if that is how they will be handling issues.

I've been preaching the level cap issue since day 2. But that idea has been consistently ignored.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also not fun to have everything just given to you. People like to earn it, whether they believe it or not. As well as be given the opportunity to budget and manage their funds. Otherwise it might as well not be there at all.

I have no wish to change your playstyle. Don't take slicing then, but don't prohibit me, a casual gamer, from doing so.

Ahem... problem is, that there is serious threat of not having enough people to pay you those 30K...

Hello and try some economic study...

Oh i know, i didn't bother to point that out, my reply was to the person insinuating that they didn't get anything of credit value from UT missions.

A test of intellegence - Slicing 340 discovered mission(why not use it right), Cost to perform 3,115 credits , time 2.4 hours, Black Market credit box = 2734 credits 1 Advanced Command Augment 22 = 490 credits to NPCvendor = 109 credit profit (have yet to sell one of these on the GTN no one wants +28 presence).

How much does 1 UT lvl 6 metal sell for again on the AH?

3000 per Cirdium, mission costs around 2k and takes 35 min... you get 2-8 per mission.... 30k credits hello.

Well, especially if they use a Underworld Trading 340 discovered mission from Slicing, they may get both materials UW has to offer, in addition to the blue ones and maybe even a high grade companion gift.

But this will be history and the prices will raise, since noone is slicing any more and so no more cheap missions on the GTN and so no more 'cheap' epic materials and crafted goods ... prices will skyrocket. But pssst, don't tell anyone, they will call you a mad man.

I believe they nerf slicing too much because if slicing was never was to make money than why had it where it gives you money to begin with and for a 2000 credit mission and only get 1000 credits in return. Also since the patch i can't get as many mission discoveries any more i used to get 5 a day now i'm lucky to get 1 a day. I'm not saying go back to how it was, but if i was never design to make you money than even put it in to begin with.

I believe they nerf slicing too much because if slicing was never was to make money than why had it where it gives you money to begin with and for a 2000 credit mission and only get 1000 credits in return. Also since the patch i can't get as many mission discoveries any more i used to get 5 a day now i'm lucky to get 1 a day. I'm not saying go back to how it was, but if i was never design to make you money than even put it in to begin with.

This.

I just want to know from Bioware what the purpose of slicing was. Like you said, what is the point of having missions where you give money to receive less money?

Also the decision was a very rushed one because the game officially came out last week and I doubt if even 10% have reached 50. How can they complain about others making more money when they have no idea how money works at higher levels.

BW should have given the system enough time to settle down and then decide if a nerf was needed or not.

Seriously 1 week. This was clearly due to whining of low level toons because otherwise it could have been done before launch.

I am not going to reach teh conclusion but man this shows bad signs. Will BW give in to the demands of people like this w/o even properly analyzing the situation and not giving it enough time.

Tomorrow a class will start whining about others doing more dps and next week we will see that class getting nerfed just like that.

I know I am reaching conclusions but man in just one week if they can take such steps, they can do a lot worse in future.

Edited by Yummymango

Also the decision was a very rushed one because the game officially came out last week and I doubt if even 10% have reached 50. How can they complain about others making more money when they have no idea how money works at higher levels.

BW should have given the system enough time to settle down and then decide if a nerf was needed or not.

Seriously 1 week. This was clearly due to whining of low level toons because otherwise it could have been done before launch.

This is the truth. Which is why level caps should have been implemented before launch.

Sad part is, we've all pretty much decided the knee-jerk reaction was too much, and still have yet to see a response.

To me, the lack of a response from Bioware is them waiting for the dust to settle, for everyone to slowly lose their rage over the issue, then hopefully forget about it...and never issue a response.

And, if this is the case, I will not be supporting this game past the trial period. I already cancelled the re-subscription to wait and see what is going to happen. I hope others do, and I hope they see that they need to communicate WITH the community in order to make this game function well and exceed previous MMOs. The moment I hear communication elaborating on this issue, explaining their decision and talking about their future plans, I will sign back up for my recurring 6mo plan.

I waited for this game for a very long time, bought the LCE, but I do not want to start playing another MMO just to be abused the same way we were in SWG and WoW. It's just not worth it.

Edited by Pansophist

Im not sure if they have fixed the slicing thing, or i just have been veeeery lucky..

The past 5 missions on Grade 5 Rich Yield have had 3 critical return.

I've had 3 340 Skill missions in a row with the mission 'Data Race' and a green lockbox using Mako, but since then ... nothing, only white ones. (Bioanalysis, Scavenging and Treasure Hunt)

Just waiting for a few more UW ones, need more Grade 6 stuff. :)

I'll try to summarise my thoughts on this as briefly as I can.

This game has three selling points when compared to most other MMOs:

1. It's highly plot-driven. There are few quests of the "Kill 10 boars" type.

2. There are crew skills. You don't need to be crafting/gathering yourself.

3. Group content is for 2-4 players and everyone has companions available who can fill slots.

By nerfing slicing to this extent, you have largely killed point 2. It's right there on the Crew Skills page:

"The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ galaxy is rich with valuable resources, high-tech schematics, and intriguing opportunities, but what hero has time to devote themselves personally to so many pursuits? That’s where your crew comes in. The Crew Skills system allows you to take advantage of everything the galaxy has to offer without getting in the way of your adventure! You’ll assign your crew of companions to gather resources, craft useful and valuable items, and even to undertake their own missions, bringing you and the rest of the crew a variety of benefits and rewards. Crew skills keep you in the action while you take advantage of all the galaxy has to offer!"

Slicing is now a loss-making profession. No one seems to be buying augments (and the ones I've been getting so far were crappy anyway) and relying on selling missions is both loss-making (you get one mission for maybe each 20 slicing missions you carry out; it doesn't cover the losses) and too risky to rely on. I know what some are going to say - "You can look for nodes like everyone else". Yes, I can, but I don't want to do it because I necessarily have to. Bioware advertised crew skills as something I could use to avoid all the grinding associated with having to do repetitive and monotonous tasks myself. If I have to, I'm not interested anymore. Furthermore, as far as I understand, lockboxes were nerfed across the board, so how many nodes to I have to gather to make up for the losses with missions? 30? 50? 100? Not only is the opportunity cost too high now, but it's also boring. I thought I was playing to have fun (or in Bioware's own words, "The Crew Skills system allows you to take advantage of everything the galaxy has to offer without getting in the way of your adventure!"). If I have to do the same task over and over I'll go back to the office, thank you - at least there I make some actual money.

Many of you seem to think that slicing was inflating the game's economy. Holding all else constant, lots of people getting lots of money does drive prices up, but you seem to be reversing cause and effect. The central issues with this game is that the economy is already inflated on its own. I'm about to leave Taris with my Sage and a good piece of gear there costs almost 9k - that was more than half of all the credits I had before I took up slicing. My most recent skills (level ~20) cost almost 3k each. For crying out loud, the game even warns you at level 20 that you need to start saving (40k) for your speeder at level 25. Don't get me started on crafting mission prices in general.

Slicing was a convenient way to solve this. Players weren't forced to take up slicing because of the inflated prices on the GTM - they were forced to take up slicing because it was the only practical way to face merchant/trainer prices, which are set by Bioware, and finance their other crafting professions, whose missions are way too expensive if you don't have a good source of cash. Now there is no simple way to do any of these.

Personally, I am not only extremely disappointed with this change, but with the way it was carried out. You can't make such drastic changes in a minor, untested, unannounced patch as a knee-jerk reaction to some complaints. This does not bode well for the future and I fear the people who are responsible for this do not have enough common sense to be in charge of making this sort of decisions, especially taking into account that the game is a week old and things like this should have been taken care of during the testing phase, not when the game has already gone live. It's a pity, really. This game has huge potential. I won't say I will unsubscribe because of it, but I'm far less likely to maintain my subscription because I don't want to invest my time in an MMO whose developers I can't trust in for things as simple as these.

- - -

PS: My data on slicing, just for reference. I stopped after the fifth mission and didn't do any higher level ones for obvious reasons:

Rich Tier 3

Cost 870

Return 775

Rich Tier 3

Cost 870

Return 631

Rich Tier 3

Cost 870

Return 1003

Bountiful Tier 3

Cost 780

Return 624

Rich Tier 1

Cost 295

Return 282

I already cancelled the re-subscription to wait and see what is going to happen. I hope others do, and I hope they see that they need to communicate WITH the community in order to make this game function well and exceed previous MMOs.

Same. As of two minutes ago I've cancelled the re-sub as well. As a Sentinel you virtually need Slicing to stay afloat until your 40s.

This is the truth. Which is why level caps should have been implemented before launch.

Sad part is, we've all pretty much decided the knee-jerk reaction was too much, and still have yet to see a response.

To me, the lack of a response from Bioware is them waiting for the dust to settle, for everyone to slowly lose their rage over the issue, then hopefully forget about it...and never issue a response.

And, if this is the case, I will not be supporting this game past the trial period. I already cancelled the re-subscription to wait and see what is going to happen. I hope others do, and I hope they see that they need to communicate WITH the community in order to make this game function well and exceed previous MMOs. The moment I hear communication elaborating on this issue, explaining their decision and talking about their future plans, I will sign back up for my recurring 6mo plan.

I waited for this game for a very long time, bought the LCE, but I do not want to start playing another MMO just to be abused the same way we were in SWG and WoW. It's just not worth it.

I couldn't agree more. A response from BW would go a long way at this point. I canceled my re-subscription last night.. the lack of communication is really inexcusable.

Rich Tier 1

Cost 295

Return 282

I did a rich tier 1 yesterday and my luck is too thin i got only 125 return...... which makes me lost 50% of the money...

I also did rich/bountiful rank 5 and rank 4 and the money lost can get up to 30 - 40%... I had one or 2 crit so it ease the money lost a bit but the overall is I gain more money from space mission... There are no point to do slicing mission anymore since I got it to 400 just before the nerf.

Edited by ryancwn

I couldn't agree more. A response from BW would go a long way at this point. I canceled my re-subscription last night.. the lack of communication is really inexcusable.

I am staring to loose faith in the industry as a whole...

its just not fun having people toy with you