Discussion Topic: Discussion Topics!

EricMusco

How about a discussion topic on what an actual discussion in?

Eric/Keith a discussion topic started by BWA shouldn't be a one way discussion between players, you should actually and actively participate in them.

I've personally become slightly jaded by recent "discussion" topics as it feels like we're just discussing for no real reason with no real feedback from BWA.

Prime example - the storm that came from the bolster topic. Many wanted gear actually removed and it wasn't an option on your list. You could have at least directed the discussion better by telling us - Yes, this is also something you would look at as an extra option or No, that's currently off the table.

It feels like you just throw out these topics here and sit back and watch the fireworks.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Companions

How to get back to the meaningful interactions we had with them in Chapters 1-3 (vanilla)

LIs with more in-depth conversations

Putting companions back onto our empty ships (maybe let us pick 5-10 or something from the list to put in our ships at a time, or better yet, let us interact with them in our strongholds (we could have a similar limit on "active" vs. hologram, but with the option to toggle at any time))

Episodic conversations similar to conversation unlocks through vanilla story progression. For example: have 1-4 new conversations for a block of companions available from each patch.

Let us talk back to our companions, don't use the style you've been using for alliance alerts. Our own characters' interactions are just as important as what our companions are saying. Our VAs are amazing and I want to hear them.

Add some new flavors to companion comments in the open world. Let them say new stuff, reference old missions, give us little tidbits on what they were doing for the five years and after that they were gone (depending on when they came back to us), new catchphrases (more innuendo from Kira :p )

Anything as listed above would be doable regardless of what BW has done or will do to bring them back. If the nature of the business going forward is to give us companions like Quinn and Elara back VERY perfunctorily and unsatisfactorily (to most people) through story, that's fine. But with the above ideas you could flesh them out by letting them back onto your ship, and they will have much more to say with each patch. More time to spend with our LIs outside of a couple sentences. Maybe allow for NEW love interests to happen. We're not birds, you know ;)

We could hear from Vette/Torian about *that choice* and how they feel afterwards and how it affects them going forward.

We could hear more about how Vette and Gault came together, see interactions with Vette/Risha (when she comes back) and Quizen/Mako (when she comes back), etc.

We could hear what Ashara/Jaesa/Kira/Scourge/etc etc etc were doing while we were gone and how they came back to us through it all.

We could hear comments about what each companion thinks of our decisions through KOTFE/KOTET and going forward.

I see so many possibilities, and I'm short shrifting all the companions I didn't mention. Every companion you've given us is special to us for a plethora of reasons, and from outright hatred all the way to marriage and BFFs, our feelings run the gamut, and I believe there is incredibly rich grounds for engaging us again with the game through our companions.

And I didn't even mention the new companions, of course bring them in on it. I'd love to hear more about Veeroa Denz's background, as well as the others. They're just placeholders right now.

Finally, allow us to fire Theron and Lana for their lip service and incompetence in "finding" our companions for us, something we wanted from them since we woke up! :rak_01:

This. Our companions are basically our life, we are with them all time, would be nice to have more interaction with them, the romances are great but it needs to be more, it needs to be more indepth.

Hey folks,

For this weeks discussion topic, we want to talk about... discussion topics! What I mean by that is, what are the things you want us to have a discussion about in the future. For context, here are some of our previous topics:

Galactic Starfighter

Bolster Changes for PvP

Master Mode Ops Drops

When you make a recommendation, I would ask that you be as specific as possible. We try to have the topics be guided so that there is focus to the feedback. Ex: "What new game mode would you like to see in a Warzone" is better than "what would you like to see added for PvP."

Give us your thoughts on future topics!

-eric

Could we perhaps finally seriously discuss (re-)adding the option to enable chat bubbles for /say, /yell, /emote player chat?

Edited by Glzmo

Hey folks,

For this weeks discussion topic, we want to talk about... discussion topics! What I mean by that is, what are the things you want us to have a discussion about in the future. For context, here are some of our previous topics:

Galactic Starfighter

Bolster Changes for PvP

Master Mode Ops Drops

When you make a recommendation, I would ask that you be as specific as possible. We try to have the topics be guided so that there is focus to the feedback. Ex: "What new game mode would you like to see in a Warzone" is better than "what would you like to see added for PvP."

-eric

About classes which are in bad position. For example dps pt/vanguard are in a bad position now since they are too squishy and die VERY fast. Such topics will give you a feedback about class problems. Another problem is skank-tanks - they do too mucn dps and no one is dying under their guard which makes a tea. With such tank mostly unkillable . A d tanks are overall a problem on warzones since 50% dps transfer is a joke, and makes unreal to kill someone guarded

Discussion topic about warzone play style: most of the warzones are oriented on objectives(capping, tapping, passing) and could be won without a single death. We need more warzones where people have to KILL each other to win.

A topic about future story content vector, where players could say you that they prefer to see content related to republic vs empire war rather then fighting a third party.

I would like for you to actually talk about the things you put up as discussion topics. The Starfighter topics were put up on a Thursday and then no one with orange text touched them after that. When you did, it was just to reassure us that you were reading, really.

Keith, you've promised to be better about communication. Does that not include the GSF community ?

As a PvE player, I'd like to see a discussion on Group Finder, specifically flashpoints and uprisings, but also SM operations which everyone builds via fleet chat instead of GF.

Both flashpoints and uprisings have been underused during 5.0. Traditionally, PvE players could run flashpoints outside of raid night, now they have to do PvP/GSF instead to get components, which reduced the quality of group finder groups. The rewards are too low and bosses are tuned unevenly.

There are also fundamental flaws in the group finder (e.g. the group building for Veteran flashpoints is wrong, it favors full level 70 groups instead of mixing new with veteran players, which makes it more frustrating for new players. Also, players who select two roles are always put in as healer/tank even if they could respec, which leads to players not accepting the invite upon seeing 2-3 healers even though those healers could play as DPS).

In additoh, a Premade Group function like in WoW would be perfect, allowing players to create a listing for the kind of content they want to run (e.g. Taris world boss, Shroud H4 quest). No need to create a list of all content types, just offer a free-form text field. Then everyone can see a list of all open groups and decide where to join, and the leader wouldn't have to spam it in chat every minute or so. By clicking on a group, you would auto-join it or the leader could see a notification and could decide who to invite. Once the group is full, he can use the existing guild flagship transport to summon everyone to his position. I'd love to see this feature in SWTOR.

So please put Group Finder as a discussion topic, I'd love to write a detailed post if this topic comes up.

Edited by Jerba

Please have a discussion on Strongholds enhancements and fixes! I know a lot of avid decorators who would have a lot really great feedback they could provide on ways to correct what's currently clunky and awkward and ways to give us enhancements that would put your decorators over the moon. :)

• Dev Post
I would like for you to actually talk about the things you put up as discussion topics. The Starfighter topics were put up on a Thursday and then no one with orange text touched them after that. When you did, it was just to reassure us that you were reading, really.

Keith, you've promised to be better about communication. Does that not include the GSF community ?

Hey, in the Friction Point thread, Bret Hoffman let everyone know he was reading the posts. You are right that there hasn't been a back-and-forth discussion, but the team wanted to get everyone's feedback and formulate an action plan moving forward. Here's the message from Bret:

Hey there folks! My name is Bret Hoffman and I am a Senior Designer on SWTOR and one of the devs who originally worked on GSF. I wanted to thank you all for your in-depth and well thought out responses. Keep it coming! We are definitely reading and collating all the feedback in this thread as well as the other two we created.

Keep that feedback coming in, and, once again, thanks for your thoughts!

Happy hunting pilots!

Here is my quick/dirty list of suggested topics to discuss:

New ideas for GSF (Maps / Playstyle Change / Ships):

- Maps suggesting the types of maps we would like to see happen (Content in each)

- Playstyle or change from the current TWO models into What? (Capture flag > fly here while wingman guard you)

- Ships or maybe changes to ships we sort of discussed, maybe a stealth ship that has no weapons

Operations Suggestions:

- Types of mechanics folks would expect to see in a Star Wars MMO - maybe future use

- Some Bosses (Maybe a Cartel Market Operation - Gear and Deco heavy around major cities)

- My thought is 2 Boss Mini-Operation per major shared planet we can tap into with this theme

- Potential other Operations like a BBA in which you must track down and kill an assortment of bounty bosses (S&V like)

- Same thought here with a flavor of a couple bosses only.

World Changes:

- If I was a DEV I would change this location and here is why

- The volume of unused space on each planet should be opened up dramatically. Leading into Operations all over.

- Stuff that is just broken and should be tweaked

CXP Changes:

- Options to improve the existing model (Maybe Change CXP Loot to drop Unassembled Tokens instead?)

- Making ALT Friendly options (Legacy Bound / Bonus / etc.)

- Boosters (P2W?) - Should the events be more often - what other options to use these?

Server Populations / Capacity:

- How do we resolve servers that are dying/dead? Suggestions

- Options how we can migrate existing guilds and players

K I bite, discussion topics:

1. How to bring back players?
  2. UI constraints and required improvements
  3. PvP balance vs PVE : impacts, suggested mitigations, alternatives
  4. STUNs and gear impact on PvP fun: why it hurts PvP and how to mitigate or avoid the issue
  5. Replay-ability of Story content: lack of and how to mitigate the issue
  6. Engine limitations, required improvements and impact on game play and game design
  7. Art: the (lack of?) SW feel and the over usage of overdone features (flaps, shoulder pads, asymmetric designs)
  8. CM : lack of appeal of proposed items, pricing model (too expensive), CM tokens and reputations items.
  9. Bugs: lack of follow-up/fixes on major bugs (ex.: gear preview window)

Edited by Deewe

Uprisings: lots of great new group content, but implementation of actual incentives for people to queue up is atrocious. You literally get nothing unless you defeat the final boss.

Suggested topic: how to improve uprising incentives across story, veteran, and master modes.

Story

• What parts of existing SWTOR story make you feel involved, engaged, and rewarded? What moments break your immersion, disappoint you, or make you feel less enthusiastic?
  • How do you feel about the roles of the Alliance, Republic, and Empire in the story?
  • When do you feel like gameplay meshes well with story (or doesn't)?
  • Which companion returns did you think worked best? Which returns disappointed you?

Strongholds

• What categories of decoration do you think are under- or over-populated?
  • What aspects of the interface are most or least helpful during the decorating process?
  • What new hook layouts might you like to see?
  • How do you feel about proportions of strongholds (dimensions of rooms, number of rooms, amount of exterior vs interior space)?

Bugs vs New Content: Discuss taking off a month or two from new content and focus on fixing all the bugs and glitches that have been put off since 2.0. ie: operations, group loot, preview window, conquest, flashpoints, etc.

PvE vs PvP: Discuss how PvE is hurting due to the "balancing" caused from PvP focused individuals requesting changes and what can be done to help separate them so they no longer effect each other.

Servers: I understand this has been discussed more than anything but maybe getting some fresh eyes and ears on it; we may come up with a better solution. Too many people on one server while leaving other servers ghost towns. For instance, if I want to pvp or gsf, I go to Harbinger. If i want to just focus on solo pve, I go to Jung Ma. etc.

Wouldn't it be better to go back to the tons of suggestions that went ignored over the years and know exactly what is doable and what isn't, there's little point in putting forward possible topics that will just be ignored because they are about things that are completely off the table for reasons that are unknown to us.

I would like to see a topic about design philosophy, all new areas are mazes filled with mobs, is there a reason why we can't have more open worlds like Tatooine, Alderaan, Voss, or even Ilum, all new areas are very claustrophobic.

I would like to know if there is the possibility of adding/creating new species, even with possible limitations there's still much that can be done with an humanoid basic speaker base model.

Sentient species as combat companions, is this possible?

For me the big one is companions. Love them or hate them, they are a huge part of the game and the single player story. Incoming wall of text. I know it is lot of suggestions and I know most of these will probably not be addressed but I will throw them out here in the open.

- could we get more screen time with them? I like the Theron and Lana show as much as everyone else but would love a change of pace.

- could we get some of them back on our ships? (granted now with the new map function I don't actually step foot on it much any more)

- could we get the original planetary party banter back for your original class companions? If so could we get new banter for the newer planets like iokath or zakuul?

- can we get them to actually "talk" when you click on them...that or all of the returning companions all had some strange urge to pick ventriloquism as a hobby while we were frozen in carbonite for 5 years

- can Elara/Quinn get fixed to actually show customizations for the new iokath scenes? (Jorgans worked on his chapter) also could we make sure this will not happen to other future returning companions (I dread the thought of looking at base Corso...*shudders*)

- is there anyway we could pose them as decorations? (like sit in a chair or arms behind back vs hands on hips) or pose them like an emote that a few of the cartel market pets do (example play dead on nexu) -I would totally cartel coin this

- could we get a secondary outfit slot for them like we have for our characters? (I'd pay to unlock that with cartel coins no prob also)

- could we get a few of the original ones with flirts in the game already to actually be fully romancable? (Theran Cedrax, Talos Drellik, and I would love to see Lord Cytherat come back as a romancable companion)

- could we get more male force using companions? (preferably ones that can be romanced, we ladies got the short end of the stick on this one)

- could we get an additional button for their action bars for them to stand in a specific location so they don't stand in stupid. A stand here button would be awesome. (I am glaring at you water boss in Manaan flashpoint) or even better an ability we can hotkey

- How come none of the returned ones use staves anymore? Like why did Torrian get a sniper rifle? - I miss him using a doublebladed vibrosword :(

- could we send out more at a time for missions at max level or max CXP level?

Well this is all I can think of for this topic.

But on a side note, could we get pazzak in the game? I loved that minigame in the original SWTOR games :)

Edited by Nightfrogger

Hey folks,

Galactic Starfighter

Bolster Changes for PvP

Master Mode Ops Drops

-eric

How about adding content to the game equivalent of the $15 sub a month? I know that sounds extreme, but 1 ops every 3 years and 1 WZ every 18-24 month, 1 daily area every 2 years seems a bit too slow if you are expecting to maintain subs.

You must find a resolution to ques. Getting pops on TSL nowadays is becoming really, really long and outside prime time almost impossible. Harbinger does not seem to be doing significantly better either.

Something drastic needs to change in GC, if it is to remain primary way to gear from PvP (UC are not).

None of these are new discussion topics, but without content, healthy ques and functional gearing system nothing else matters.

I think there are so many aspects of Strongholds, yet discussions are sometimes a mix of different SH related topics.

• Discussion: Decorations Variety -- Too few rugs? Lights? More couches? Fewer chairs?
  • Discussion: Decorations Availability -- Credit and Rep vendors; Cartel Market decos.
  • Discussions: Hook Layout and Placement -- what works, what doesn't, what's wanted and why.

Flashpoints: Story/Tactical Mode (Veteran? Master? I never remember which is which.)

• Discussion: Impact of Randomizing GF FP Access on Experiencing Story.
  • Discussion: Returning to using SM and HM designations. :p

Hey folks,

For this weeks discussion topic, we want to talk about... discussion topics! ... When you make a recommendation, I would ask that you be as specific as possible. We try to have the topics be guided so that there is focus to the feedback. Give us your thoughts on future topics!

-eric

Specifically many have big picture game questions which are not being addressed or discussed because BW'S [swtor] is not at the cons or shows with SWTOR for years, all we hear about is BattleFront II. There is even and uptick with the veteran blogers and influences asking the same SWTOR game lifecycle questions.

SWTOR has amazing and authentic story and voiceovers as built including animations.

Specifically if you would confirm the game lifecycle and set our expectations and please over communicate details. What list of bug fix other requests have been accepted and approved but they must wait for a year or more? What bugs are unfixable given the game age and changes in OS? What list of bugs are rapidly fixable in next few weeks please?

Specifically as you know Windows 10 game crashing and related incompatiblty errors have dramatically impacted SWTOR stabilty, especially with Creators Update 1703. Related to this can BW please confirm if our game will remain "as built" on the current branch or if SWTOR will have a game client overhaul or parts will be "surgically refreshed" to offer improved stabilty to support Windows 10 native DX11/DX12 multithreading for CPU/GPU branch or if this modernization the players have been asking for since 2014 is off the table for the next year?

More specifically with so many bugs which are confirmed ad nausim in the forums and certainly are fixable, if BW was resouced, can we please level set expectations overall if these bugs are unfixable for this old engine or can we get reassurances the 100 bugs are actually resouced to be repaired over the late summer and early fall?

Specifically based on 1000's of threads on the forum, long server GF times plus thinning guilds, many long timers don't know what to expect, or have been run off and left the game. We would like clarity on what Corrective Action Plan will become the BIOWARE focus for the next 90 and 180 days to improve populations? Many believe a course correction should be taken because BW is behaving like this game is on life support or in very low maintenance mode with skeleton staff.

Specifically can it please be established if a new MegaServer is being brought up (Keiths podcast) in the next 60 days or that's off the table until next year? This seems to be an easy task, and no part of this question has anything about any new improved transfer process. Many of us would like to see a clean new MegaServer now to focus populations for PvP/Ops/NIM groups and may be happy to use the existing 90cc process as built. Perhaps a second wave will not and will stay where they are until a seamless migration is possible.

Specifically can BW please confirm SWTOR will >NOT< be shut down for at least 180 days or a year? Then what? Many reasons include many of us have 6m subs on autorenew. Will swtor forum be shut down and then we use EA'S or will this stay online?

Sincerely

IA

Edited by IntegrationArch

Hey, in the Friction Point thread, Bret Hoffman let everyone know he was reading the posts. You are right that there hasn't been a back-and-forth discussion, but the team wanted to get everyone's feedback and formulate an action plan moving forward. Here's the message from Bret:

Like I said earlier when you see a general them of a discussion thread like with the boslter thread it would certainly be worth weighing in on.

My example there is Eric gave us examples making it seem like it was locked in stone yet a lot of people wanted an extra option of "no more PVP gear" just for everyone is even stats PVP. Where yourself or anyone from BWA could have helped a lot in that topic is to simply post if we were wasting our time pushing this concept as you will not look at removing PVP gear or would give it serious consideration.

Even getting an idea on why you think it's important to have gear in PVP, how can we sway your view when we don't know what you base your view on?

In short - more discussion please. You always stated you wanted a why with our ideas, well how about more why's as to why the things are the way they are?

Hey folks,

Galactic Starfighter

Bolster Changes for PvP

Master Mode Ops Drops

-eric

Eric,

It would be good if you would actually come back to discuss?

Ie, you start the "discussion thread on Bolster" and then don't discuss. You made the OP to start the discussion and then leave it to fester. We had pages and pages of people fighting about things that are not Bolster. This seems to happen in any thread you guys start and then don't post again, the longer it sits there without you guys posting, the worse it gets. Youre essentially setting off a toxic bomb and any real discussion-debate or feed back gets drowned out by a few people who fight. While this happens in lots of threads, I would think you would want to stay ontop of it in "discussion threads you start" for feed back.

Yeah, we got a "we're reading, keep it coming!" in the Strikes thread too. Two years ago.

Eric,

It would be good if you would actually come back to discuss?

Ie, you start the "discussion thread on Bolster" and then don't discuss. You made the OP to start the discussion and then leave it to fester. We had pages and pages of people fighting about things that are not Bolster. This seems to happen in any thread you guys start and then don't post again, the longer it sits there without you guys posting, the worse it gets. Youre essentially setting off a toxic bomb and any real discussion-debate or feed back gets drowned out by a few people who fight. While this happens in lots of threads, I would think you would want to stay ontop of it in "discussion threads you start" for feed back.

In real life large meet and greet conventions are used to resolve sets of issues or promote the new. All leave on the same page and get deep understanding. For us face to face is not possible but a simple 2-way virtual online convention every 180 days for player to BW interaction would go a long way. .