Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why Do Female Characters Have Such Revealing Clothes?

Ylliarus

IMO ... it's all about options, personal preferences and taste.

Unfortunately, not everyone excels in excellent taste.  Not everyone will agree with what is in good taste ... and what is not!

As far as the ladies are concerned ... I've seen evening dresses that are quite revealing.  And many are VERY expensive (yes .. that is first-hand experience talking).  

IMO this is the one area where SWTOR has done a reasonably good job providing a wide variety of clothing for just about any occasion ... including evening gowns.  (Please note that it takes a combination of three different sets to make one ... but it can work).

22 hours ago, Rujopetteri said:

Most of the pants in game are already skintight so there i'd like to see more loose stuff, like pants where the leg goes OVER the boots instead of being tucked inside.

I think the idea behind it, and this doesn't apply to all situations of course but considering the amount of fighting that characters do, loose fitting clothing could be a detriment. The last thing you want to give an enemy is the ability to grab you, hold on, stop you from moving, or pull you back.

I can recall one of my martial art instructors back in the day saying that the uniform's they wear in more organized teaching of martial arts (gis) is the last kind of apparel you would ever want to be wearing in a fight. Way too much to grab on to and pull.

It's the same principle in the military with regard to hair length. It's why they have buzz cuts, so people can't grab them by their hair. Could make the difference between life and death.

But, than again, this is a video game and I don't think we need to take those kinds of things too seriously when people are running around shooting Lightning from their finger tips and Jedi Mind Tricking people.

Playing space barbie is a big part of the experience for many players and so the more styles and options available to players the better. No such thing as having too many options.

Besides, there's tons of stuff already available that has tons of things to grab onto. My character, for example, a Sith Lord very much in the vein of Vader wears a very long ass black cloak (no hood) that would make for a great way to hold or pull him.

But given that he has two lightsabers, some might think twice about keeping their arms and hands that close to him. :cool:

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I think the idea behind it, and this doesn't apply to all situations of course but considering the amount of fighting that characters do, loose fitting clothing could be a detriment. The last thing you want to give an enemy is the ability to grab you, hold on, stop you from moving, or pull you back.

I can recall one of my martial art instructors back in the day saying that the uniform's they wear in more organized teaching of martial arts (gis) is the last kind of apparel you would ever want to be wearing in a fight. Way too much to grab on to and pull.

It's the same principle in the military with regard to hair length. It's why they have buzz cuts, so people can't grab them by their hair. Could make the difference between life and death.

But, than again, this is a video game and I don't think we need to take those kinds of things too seriously when people are running around shooting Lightning from their finger tips and Jedi Mind Tricking people.

Playing space barbie is a big part of the experience for many players and so the more styles and options available to players the better. No such thing as having too many options.

Besides, there's tons of stuff already available that has tons of things to grab onto. My character, for example, a Sith Lord very much in the vein of Vader wears a very long ass black cloak (no hood) that would make for a great way to hold or pull him.

But given that he has two lightsabers, some might think twice about keeping their arms and hands that close to him. :cool:

Well, i'm not asking for super baggy or extremely loose pants, but you know, the normal kind where the pant legs go over the boots instead of being tucked inside.

To my knowledge only one such pair of pants exists in game in the Lando Calrissian set from CM (don't remember the actual name of the set). And those look like 70's disco pants which is great, but some regular fitting pants which wont be tucked inside the boots would be awesome.

And talking about things your opponent could grab in a fight, my pet peeve, the one thing i hate with a passion: Loincloths and buttflaps. 

Also anything with a hood should have an alternate version with the hood down! (Just my personal opinion of course) :)

Edited by Rujopetteri
typos...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rujopetteri said:

And talking about things your opponent could grab in a fight, my pet peeve, the one thing i hate with a passion: Loincloths and buttflaps. 

Also anything with a hood should have an alternate version with the hood down! (Just my personal opinion of course) :)

Loincloths and buttflaps. would certainly be very convenient things to grab for sure. =]

I'd also like to see chest pieces with hoods have some sort of toggle this way you could switch back and forth between up or down as you like.

We see Jedi in the movies and The Clone Wars series doing it all the time. They should really make that an option. Classic Star Wars.

:)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Loincloths and buttflaps. would certainly be very convenient things to grab for sure. =]

I'd also like to see chest pieces with hoods have some sort of toggle this way you could switch back and forth between up or down as you like.

We see Jedi in the movies and The Clone Wars series doing it all the time. They should really make that an option. Classic Star Wars.

:)

We are still years away from the point where some bright soul in the Star Wars universe invents robes that have a hood that lowers.  Luckily by the time of the movies it was a standard feature.  😜

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Darcmoon said:

We are still years away from the point where some bright soul in the Star Wars universe invents robes that have a hood that lowers.  Luckily by the time of the movies it was a standard feature.  😜

YUP!  Regardless of physical appearances:  horns / hair / or other characteristics as well!

😉

You think they do? I think they don't have enough. Practically everyone that plays this game now is an adult. Less than 1% of the community is actually under the age of 18 now. 

EDIT: I think they need to start gearing this game more towards adults than "children". This game could easily be rated M(17+) if it was to be re-rated by the ESRB. Now I am not saying dive in and make it rated AO, what I am saying is to start giving it more of a mature feel.

Edited by lEziol

13 hours ago, lEziol said:

You think they do? I think they don't have enough. Practically everyone that plays this game now is an adult. Less than 1% of the community is actually under the age of 18 now. 

EDIT: I think they need to start gearing this game more towards adults than "children". This game could easily be rated M(17+) if it was to be re-rated by the ESRB. Now I am not saying dive in and make it rated AO, what I am saying is to start giving it more of a mature feel.

What do you mean by mature?  A lot of things that are marketed as 'mature' and 'adult' are just stuffed full of bad writing, lousy plots, gratuitious sex, and blood and gore.  The worst ones combine the sex and violence.

That's not mature to me, and not something I want in a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2023 at 5:35 PM, Darcmoon said:

or the mask stay's under the hood and not come's out of the hood is also a long time.

I disagree with this. If I wanted a game like "grand theft auto" I'd be playing that, not Star Wars. Although some of the things Sith do at parties is alluded to in game, I think the allusions get the point across without showing the actual blood & gore like a Sam Peckinpah movie.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:03 PM, lEziol said:

As fun as this would be, this wouldn't be a wise decision, know your customer base, see what's happened to A.B. over the past few months. Sure, a little more blood and guts some of us would love, but a company needs to know their customer base, appeal to the masses and how to market the product.

Games such as WoW, as cartoonish as their avatars look, appeal to children as well, along with a number of areas in that game. Say what you will about WoW, but their success is due to how to appeal to the masses, not a small portion of it. As it stands currently, this game is running on fumes, I just resubbed and it's even more dead than it was two months ago, this game can't afford to lose more than it already has and appealing to a smaller crowd of people is not the answer. 

IMO ... If we have to spend this many pages trying to explain something like this ...  It's unlikely that anyone who doesn't get it by now ...  just simply won't.  

It's for the same reason that some ladies can wear something as plain as a potato sack and still be a perfect 10 ...  and others can attempt to wear an evening gown worth thousands of dollars (US) ...  and honestly should probably just stay at home!

You either get that ... or not!  

11 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

It's for the same reason that some ladies can wear something as plain as a potato sack and still be a perfect 10 ...  and others can attempt to wear an evening gown worth thousands of dollars (US) ...  and honestly should probably just stay at home!

You either get that ... or not!  

This  is such a  heartless thing to say my dude. I could think of other ways to call it,but let's just  stick with heartless.

Plenty of people, often ones you'd never even guess, have massive issues with their self perception/self image/self esteem. This includes many women who'd pass oldbuzzard's totally sophisticated hot or not 1 to 10  scale and thus could  earn hall pass from you to actually go outside in a  dress they like. When a  person with such issues   sees words such as yours, it can stay with them for a very long time. 

Edited by Stradlin

14 hours ago, Stradlin said:

This  is such a  heartless thing to say my dude. I could think of other ways to call it,but let's just  stick with heartless.

Plenty of people, often ones you'd never even guess, have massive issues with their self perception/self image/self esteem. This includes many women who'd pass oldbuzzard's totally sophisticated hot or not 1 to 10  scale and thus could  earn hall pass from you to actually go outside in a  dress they like. When a  person with such issues   sees words such as yours, it can stay with them for a very long time. 

It's not Heartless, It's when you get to be our age you just don't care anymore. We have a more realistic outlook on life and have no regard for the phony people you find there.

If that bothers you ... Refer to rule #1
If it still bothers you well... Refer to rule #2

Rule #1: You will get over it.
Rule #2: Refer to rule #1

Edited by denavin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, denavin said:

It's not Heartless, It's when you get to be our age you just do care anymore. We have a more realistic outlook on life and have no regard for the phony people you find there.

"People who score low enough on my 1-10 scale should maybe just stay at home, or at least they should not go out in a nice dress." What is the appox age I need to be til this begins sounding decent or realistic? 

For sake of argument we can just agree world objectively revolves around OldBuzzard's hot or not 1-10 scale. Perfect 10s are objectively beautiful, while  women he'd rank like 2 or 3 or below are the opposite.  Woman who gets a solid 2 on Buzzard-scale wanting to go out in a nice dress is..phony? Her wanting to go outside looking nice means she has an unrealistic outlook? Help me out here!

"Its not heartless, I just don't care anymore" kinda sounds like "Desert isn't dry, its just polar opposite of wet."

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, denavin said:

It's not Heartless, It's when you get to be our age you just do care anymore. We have a more realistic outlook on life and have no regard for the phony people you find there.

That's pretty close to right!

BTW... the reason I chose such opposite extremes:  potato sack / expensive evening gown ...  Money doesn't always make the person or what or who they are.  One of my all-time favorite songs ... by Neil Diamond "Forever In Blue Jeans" pretty well summed it up.

It's not about the expense of the clothing ... it's all about who is wearing it!  A woman doesn't have to wear a $3K dress to be a lady!  It should be noted that Mrs Buzz can still rock either.  YES  EVEN at our age.  (But I kind of prefer the blue jeans) 😉

And I guess some folks just don't get that part!  And I would dare say that they probably don't get the part of OP or some of the other obvious parts of this thread!  Like maybe WHY that alternate clothing is there to begin with! (???)

[/shrugs]

15 more pages from now ... they still won't get it then either!  There are some things in this life that just can't be taught!  

Frankly, when I go out with my inquisitor, et al, I'm not trying to be "hot". 

"I'm not cute. I'm deadly".

And if you really find my DSider attractive with veins sticking out and other Dark Side Corruption going on, well, I don't know what to tell you....

👹

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 6:09 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

But at the same time, the majority (more than 51%) will normally play their own gender first if given a choice (not including alts). 

Not in SWTOR, I really tried to keep 50/50 for my alts but the character designer doesn't help, you know... the gddamn honker in the middle of their face, holly molly, even Cyrano would be jealous...

I was just thinking how many claim it's not lore accurate to wear revealing clothes, no Jedi or Sith does it.

1. Aayla Secura (Jedi in the MOVIES)
2. Darth Talon. (Sith from the comics)

That's just two.  Oh but they are twi'lek.  So maybe only twi'lek are allowed to wear revealing clothes?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The reason for the very existence of revealing clothes is a simple one : the Galaxy is big, there are many species with different backgrounds and every individual has its own way of thinking. 

My newest character, a Chiss Inquisitor ( yes, yes, I know there should be no Chiss inquisitor because Kallig couldn't possibly be a Chiss..) wears the Slave Girl outfit because she doesn't want to forget she was born into slavery. 

17 hours ago, Hrafnhildur said:

The reason for the very existence of revealing clothes is a simple one : the Galaxy is big, there are many species with different backgrounds and every individual has its own way of thinking. 

My newest character, a Chiss Inquisitor ( yes, yes, I know there should be no Chiss inquisitor because Kallig couldn't possibly be a Chiss..) wears the Slave Girl outfit because she doesn't want to forget she was born into slavery. 

I mean, he could have been.  Chiss who are force sensitive are shunned, there's no reason why he couldn't have found his place in the Empire. Chiss have always been the one alien species more or less respected, not shunned like every other alien.  Makes a hell of a lot more sense than him being a Twi'lek or Nautolan or such.  If he's Twi'lek, where are his lekku?   In the EU lore, lekku include part of the twi'lek nervous system and brain.  Shooting a twi'lek in their lekku is like shooting anaother humanoid in the head.   So, his mask? That's a freaking lobotomy on a twi'lek! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.