Why Do Female Characters Have Such Revealing Clothes?

Ylliarus

So I would like to ask a question about the clothes/vestments/armour our toons can wear and mainly focusing on female toons. I have noticed a certain trend which raises some questionmarks with me and I hoped to get some response on the forums, from both players and maybe the Devs.

My question, or better said issue, is with the following armour set as the primary example: the Ottegan Force Expert robes. Now, don't get me wrong but I am a huge fan of this armour set. It is very suitable for a Sith Inquisitor and to be frank it was one of my favourite outfits on a male toon. Yet herein lies the problem, male toon. Because this is the same set, yet worn by a female character. The fact that a difference has been made between the male and female version of this set does make me frown, but is not the issue per se. My question is the following; why are female toons forced to wear a revealing version if they want to have the set? Why couldn't there be two versions of this set, one revealing and one not?

I do realise that it is a trend in MMO's to have female toons wear revealing armours, something I disagree with emphatically but that is not the subject of this thread. There are enough memes on the internet about the revealing sets, but why is this forced upon all female toons that people make? I for example have no innate desire for my female toons to wear revealing armour sets like the female version of the Ottegan Force Expert robes as it ruins my immersion in some situations. Don't get me wrong, revealing sets like the Karness Muur one I find looking amazing and can be great Sith-looking outfits. The same goes for the Feral Visionary robes, for example or the Omniscient ones that have recently been put back into the game. EDIT: For me it breaks immersion when a female Darth Nox, or a male with the six-pack revealing-spikey armour set, walks into the Dark Council wearing a revealing set, because I like to see seriousness around people in power, be it male or female. When representing their office you don't see the President, be it male or female, wearing a revealing tanktop I imagine. Or for example Hoth, I wouldn't dare to wear something as revealing there. I also can't imagine the female versions of the mentioned sets give a lot of protection.

So again, my question is this: why are female toons forced to wear such revealing armour sets, couldn't we have had two versions, one revealing and one normal? What was the reasoning behind this choice, I'm genuinely curious.

EDIT: Hereby my solution to this issue:

Well, maybe not entirely go back and reskin them, but for example at least release one, for example the Darth Baras set with that mask made available in the Adaptive Gear vendor on the Imperial fleet. That way they don't need to reskin everything but merely add one gearset to one vendor and have it so that when female toons equip it, it won't be revealing but have the same design as the male version has. That would be a very doable solution I think, one that doesn't require a lot of effort AND we get new items in the Adaptive Gear vendor which is always a great thing I think :3

EDIT: Also, to once and for all clarify as some people completely misunderstand my request:

Again you completely misunderstand me. Perhaps I should add it in a different colour and in bold to make myself clear as my request is misinterpreted a lot... I am not asking for the removal of revealing armour sets nor do I have anything against revealing armour sets. What I am merely asking for is that the players get the choice to either wear the revealing version or the unrevealing version on female toons, specifically I am asking this for the Feral Visionary-type of armour sets, such as the Ottegan Force Expert or Omniscient Master sets. I not once alluded to the fact I want to see revealing armour sets removed, I am merely asking for choice diversity in character customization, in particular in this case outfits/gear.

EDIT: Also, while I have nothing against revealing armour sets I do not believe that it is a necessity for female toons to have revealing armour sets simply because they are female, which is a second point to this thread. There are a lot of other outfits aside from the big shoulderpad ones, aka non-CM gear, that make this difference between male and female by default. That is what I am targeting, not the fact there are revealing sets. If there are to be revealing sets both female and male toons should have freely access to it, but the same going for the unrevealing sets.

Edited by Ylliarus
  • Haha 1

I'd like some of the sets to be not revealing in terms of options! Like the set Dark Jaesa comes in by default, while I like the top, I also like the fully covered version on females.

That said, I don't want bioware to completely remove revealing sets. Dramatic extrovert set is one of my favourites! So add options, don't remove revealing tops, males and females alike appreciate them. "not all" but that's where choice comes in.

Edited by Eshvara

I'd like some of the sets to be not revealing in terms of options! Like the set Dark Jaesa comes in by default, while I like the top, I also like the fully covered version on females.

That said, I don't want bioware to completely remove revealing sets. Dramatic extrovert set is one of my favourites!

Of course, they shouldn't be entirely removed, but there should have been two options, one to be the revealing version and one the normal unrevealing one. I disagree with the fact that female toons almost solely have the revealing sets, there is for example not a single version of the Feral Visionary/Ottegan Force Expert sets that is unrevealing for female characters.

Of course, they shouldn't be entirely removed, but there should have been two options, one to be the revealing version and one the normal unrevealing one. I disagree with the fact that female toons almost solely have the revealing sets, there is for example not a single version of the Feral Visionary/Ottegan Force Expert sets that is unrevealing for female characters.

There are a lot less revealing sets released today though, most sets are fully armored, I can only think of the bold hallion, which is also revealing for males, same goes for casual connosieur(?) In game items are all bland that arent from the cartel shop. I just don't think they'd edit the old sets anymore today. :p

Edited by Eshvara

You know dang well the 'reasoning'. Don't front.

:cool::cool::cool:

What hasn't been said already?

I can definitely guess, doesn't mean I agree with it which makes me therefore wonder why there couldn't have been two versions of it.

I never do understand their resistance to player choice. Why make the same outfit revealing for women and covered for men? Why not just do the logical thing, and release revealing and non-revealing versions for both men and women, they'll only get MORE money out of it...

I never do understand their resistance to player choice. Why make the same outfit revealing for women and covered for men? Why not just do the logical thing, and release revealing and non-revealing versions for both men and women, they'll only get MORE money out of it...

But they have. Maybe not all sets, but men have revealing clothes too.

Exactly my point! Some inclusion would be amazing, I mean, while I don't find it entirely to my liking personally, why shouldn't a male toon also have the ability to reveal a revealing version of that set. The same going viceversa, an unrevealing set for a female character.

I find it very innapropriate for a female Sith Inq to be skulking around the Dark Council chambers in such a revealing outfit to be honest and if I were Darth Marr, Mortis or Ravage would blast her immediately with Force Lightning. Or for example Hoth, I wouldn't dare to wear something as revealing there. I also can't imagine the female versions of the mentioned sets give a lot of protection :/

What makes you think that the senior Darths give a flying ---- what the SI wears? Being on the Dark Council isn't about clothes. It's about power and so on. The Inquisitrix isn't on the DC because she wears this or doesn't wear that. It's because she's proved herself to be supremely powerful and worthy, by that power, of the position.

And if you don't want to wear revealing things, on Hoth or elsewhere, don't wear them. There are plenty of full-cover alternatives. My favourite Rattataki Sorc wears the Subversive set, dyed white/white like she is.

And if you want my thoughts on skimpies and protection, search Google Images for "fortunately I was wearing my armor".

• Like 1

What makes you think that the senior Darths give a flying ---- what the SI wears? Being on the Dark Council isn't about clothes. It's about power and so on. The Inquisitrix isn't on the DC because she wears this or doesn't wear that. It's because she's proved herself to be supremely powerful and worthy, by that power, of the position.

And if you don't want to wear revealing things, on Hoth or elsewhere, don't wear them. There are plenty of full-cover alternatives. My favourite Rattataki Sorc wears the Subversive set, dyed white/white like she is.

And if you want my thoughts on skimpies and protection, search Google Images for "fortunately I was wearing my armor".

I get what you say, but my examples were made to point out that there should have been two versions of the armour sets in the first place. Why force all female toons to have this version of the set and not include also an unrevealing set for the players that want their female toons to have the normal set male toons have. What I am talking about is the lack of choice for players. Of course there are other sets I can wear, but that is not the point. The point is that I'd like there to be more variety and more availability in choice regarding those particular armor sets and several others that have a female and male version.

I find it very innapropriate for a female Sith Inq to be skulking around the Dark Council chambers in such a revealing outfit to be honest and if I were Darth Marr, Mortis or Ravage would blast her immediately with Force Lightning.

You had me understanding your point of view until this. Why would any woman--especially a powerful Darth in her own right!--deserve to get electrocuted just for showing some midriff or arm skin? That's really a problematic viewpoint and you should seriously rethink it before someone decides you're sexist/misogynistic as a result and tunes you out forever.

That said, I agree that the sets in this game that are far more revealing for women than for men are a bit eyeroll-worthy. The Aspiring Knight's set and all the other gear that are reskins of said set is the best example of this on Pub-side. However, to EAWare's credit, their more recent gear releases from the CM give revealing options to both men and women (while still staying within the bounds of the game's ESRB rating, of course). I'd still like to see some more loincloths or 'slave boy' outfits for men to balance out the multiple reskins of the female dancer outfits, but the opportunities are there!

• Like 1

You had me understanding your point of view until this. Why would any woman--especially a powerful Darth in her own right!--deserve to get electrocuted just for showing some midriff or arm skin? That's really a problematic viewpoint and you should seriously rethink it before someone decides you're sexist/misogynistic as a result and tunes you out forever.

To clarify: I never meant this in a sexist/misogynistic way. I meant it in the same way that you don't see the head of a state wearing a tanktop, either male or female, or other revealing clothing when representing their office. People in power should have a serious appearance when acting in the capacity of that office, that was the ONLY way I meant it in. Otherwise, I completely have no problem with a Sith Lord walking around in a revealing armor set, be it female or male, inclusiveness and equality for all. Heck, when on Belsavis I had my female Sith Inq wear the original Jaesa-style set. All I am asking for is diversity in choice.

EDIT: If for example Darth Marr or Mortis walked in with the revealing spikey-armour set, showing off their sixpack in the Dark Council chamber, I'd very much hope the other Dark Council members would blast them as well. I really don't care if it's males or females wearing revealing sets in the Dark Council chambers, I personally, with the reasoning I wrote down above, don't find that appropriate for people in power. But again, that is not the point of this thread, the point of this thread is more choice for player appearance.

Edited by Ylliarus

I get what you say, but my examples were made to point out that there should have been two versions of the armour sets in the first place. Why force all female toons to have this version of the set and not include also an unrevealing set for the players that want their female toons to have the normal set male toons have. What I am talking about is the lack of choice for players. Of course there are other sets I can wear, but that is not the point. The point is that I'd like there to be more variety and more availability in choice regarding those particular armor sets and several others that have a female and male version.

I'm actually with you on that. Some of the sets look just fine on men, and I'd like to be able to see that on females. But I wouldn't want to see them remove all trace of revealing stuff either. (Case in point: Shadowsilk Aegis on a Jedi. Bare midriff, bare arms with straps, dipped neckline (similar to the default for DS Jaesa, but without a hood). Looks nice, if protection-deficient. Another of my Jedi, also a shadow, habitually wears the Consular Character Creation armour set, so it isn't about skin, skin, skin.(1))

(1) And if it *was* about skin, skin, skin, that would be my business, of course.

I'm actually with you on that. Some of the sets look just fine on men, and I'd like to be able to see that on females. But I wouldn't want to see them remove all trace of revealing stuff either. (Case in point: Shadowsilk Aegis on a Jedi. Bare midriff, bare arms with straps, dipped neckline (similar to the default for DS Jaesa, but without a hood). Looks nice, if protection-deficient. Another of my Jedi, also a shadow, habitually wears the Consular Character Creation armour set, so it isn't about skin, skin, skin.(1))

(1) And if it *was* about skin, skin, skin, that would be my business, of course.

Of course I don't want to see them removed, not at all. The Revered Seer for example I absolutely love on male toons, looks good with their biceps and toned chest. I really have nothing against the fact that there are revealing armor sets, I simply would like to have the ability to choose non-revealing armour sets for females as well.

Edited by Ylliarus

I can definitely guess, doesn't mean I agree with it which makes me therefore wonder why there couldn't have been two versions of it.

You know the answer to that too.

$$$ & Time.

And 'Force' to wear is a strong word, imho. I have no doubt there are some who want two sets, revealing and non.

Personally, I wish that either gender can wear either suit. So a female can wear the male if she wanted and vice versa.

But it's not in the cards. And therefore would cost $$ that BW prolly doesn't have.

You know the answer to that too.

$$$ & Time.

And 'Force' to wear is a strong word, imho. I have no doubt there are some who want two sets, revealing and non.

Personally, I wish that either gender can wear either suit. So a female can wear the male if she wanted and vice versa.

But it's not in the cards. And therefore would cost $$ that BW prolly doesn't have.

It actually seems very easy to do, simply tweak one little thing with the armor designs or release exactly the same thing but with a new name and the unrevealing version for female toons :p

I think this subject has been rectified recently. A lot of those models you show are based off some that came very early in the game. There have been enough complaints about this subject that it's been addressed. I can't think of any new model in recent memory that has been introduced with this problem. I don't think those looks you linked are interesting enough that people are clambering to wear them now with so many other CM choices, they're just things that caught your eye.

In fact, we got a lot of male skimp based off a thread a few years ago and I'm very appreciative of that. Not often you see that kind of acknowledgement from a team of male devs. Now, I can't say I've ever gone out in "public" in those outfits for my male toons or companions. I tend to see them the same way I see my female toons or just myself irl, I feel absurd walking around in a sports bra or *** cheek shorts unless I'm at the gym/pool because *** I just have taste I guess :D

Of all the things to get worked up over. :confused:

There are so many choices now days from the very large numbers of outfits.... AND the ability to mix and match them... that I just don't see the point of this. Other then a few extreme purists wanting pure Jedi robes (whatever that actually objectively means), you can literally create just about any appearance you desire in this game now days.

As for Male and Female appearances being different on some of the skimpier armor pieces... DUH.... society sets different norms for acceptable public skin exposure between men and women. And what society sets as norms DOES trickle down into games played in said society. Fix that societal issue and you can then bring this discussion back to the table with some level of merit.

Edited by Andryah

I'd like to see that Jedi set in the non revealing way for females too.

http://i.imgur.com/c8BiW.jpg Forgot the name of it, but I have it unlocked in my collections! It's really cute either way though.:rak_03: But the option would be nice. Just like a hood toggle would be nice!

Exactly! A simple toggle for example :) or simply release to the same sets with differing names and one has a revealing version and one not. That set you mention I also would love to see in an unrevealing manner with a fem Jedi Knight (or consular works too I guess).

I'd like to see that Jedi set in the non revealing way for females too.

http://i.imgur.com/c8BiW.jpg Forgot the name of it, but I have it unlocked in my collections! It's really cute either way though.:rak_03: But the option would be nice. Just like a hood toggle would be nice!

Yeah, I never understood the whole "Jedi parading around in a sports bra" thing. I mean, we get it, you do light saber combat and you might get sweaty, but you also eat dinner like that and meet with Generals and World leaders like that? O.o It's something that always bothered me about the Clone Wars series. Obi and Anikan and the male jedis get to wear bad-*** jedi robes that command respect. The females were walking around in sports bras and leggings with holes in them? asdfasdfasfd Little girls notice things like that, you know?

It actually seems very easy to do, simply tweak one little thing with the armor designs or release exactly the same thing but with a new name and the unrevealing version for female toons :p

It may seem intuitively 'easy' but I am not in the trenches there so it's tough to say, imho.

Think of the different body types it would need to accommodate and the texture stretching or clipping that may occur .

The geometry skin weighting to the new skeletons. Node clashing.

Adding something to a pre-existing setup invites bugs and tearing.

It's a task. and it requires 'someone' , a warm body to sit there and bill hours to it. I dunno,..from some posts in here it's like BW is down to 10 people,..lol.

Yeah, I never understood the whole "Jedi parading around in a sports bra" thing. I mean, we get it, you do light saber combat and you might get sweaty, but you also eat dinner like that and meet with Generals and World leaders like that? O.o It's something that always bothered me about the Clone Wars series. Obi and Anikan and the male jedis get to wear bad-*** jedi robes that command respect. The females were walking around in sports bras and leggings with holes in them? asdfasdfasfd Little girls notice things like that, you know?

Yep, that's the Aspiring Knight's set (or one of its many reskins) I mentioned earlier. I actually like how the set looks on men, I don't know why they had to make it a sports bra with accessories on women. Even the CM version they released a while back (Ambitious Warrior) has the same issue, which was a missed opportunity right there.

Edited by AscendingSky

Personally, I think we need revealing armor for males. I want my Sith (the Emperor's Wrath) to run around in a butt thong and boots.

And I'm deadly serious about this. I'm so tired of games exploiting the females of the species just because 90% of the boys playing this game are straight. And wanna see virtual skin.