The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

When will the Devs address the blatant balance issue in pve and pvp.

Gramm

Swtor is an MMO so pvp and pve in the game is a must. When 5.0 launched its arguably the most unbalanced the game has ever been. In pvp Mercs/mandos are running around with 3 or 4 lives while doing decent dmg. Snipers are 100-0ing people in seconds if allowed. Sorc how ever been leaning on the above average side of the power spectrum for 2 expansions have been shafted besides the healing sorc. Operatives are even worse now than dps sorcs.

Keep in mind I'm strictly going with pvp I have very little knowledge besides what I read on forums and what players are saying in game about pve.

The Devs have been quite for some time about re balancing or even solving the issue of balancing pve and pvp separately. All they have shown is fixing a few bugs here and there and adding new cartel packs. PVE hasn't received a new operation in 2 and a half years. PVP hasn't seen a new and interesting game mode/map since Odesson and I'll point out a lot of players hate that map. Re-balancing characters and their respective specs don't happen till a new expansion is released and that can't happen any longer. As if your madness sorc, concealment operative, or a Powertech that got shafted in 5.0 and is considered nonviable by the majority of the community well guess what you have a whole year of being a crutch or useless spec.

All we ask is some word or confirmation that this is being discussed and addressed and what the Devs have come up with as possible fixes or solutions to these problems.

We love the story so far is great, but for an MMO we want group content to enjoy with friends not a single player experience where we spend $15 a month to enjoy by ourselves.

Edited by Gramm

Well, considering I have heard many various complaints about balance over the last 5 years, none more louder than during patches that attempted some form of balance, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Which is why I bring this up EA signed an agreement to have star wars rights till 2020 which they will try to renew. So swtor has till 2020 to get its **** together. If we make it very clear as a community that we want balance none of this single player ******** they serve us on a $15 a month plate they will have little choice but to change their priorities or loss more subs than they have already. If the community continues to feel ignored like right now soon the leaving crowd will start flowing a lot faster.

Edited by Gramm

The only imbalance I have noticed is skill imbalance.

For every class you say is squishy and needs to be buffed, I could (if the forums allowed) point you to players who plays that class as if it were OP.

For every class you say is godmode and needs to be nerfed, I could point you to players who get shredded as if it were weaksauce.

The imbalance is not in the game, the imbalance is in the player.

The only imbalance I have noticed is skill imbalance.

For every class you say is squishy and needs to be buffed, I could (if the forums allowed) point you to players who plays that class as if it were OP.

For every class you say is godmode and needs to be nerfed, I could point you to players who get shredded as if it were weaksauce.

The imbalance is not in the game, the imbalance is in the player.

Please buff me by giving me an extra arm, quicker reflexes, another eye to raed the buff and debuff tray, a second thumb and a 54 button mouse, and turn back time 20 years. You can nerf me by taking my beer away when I play less than sober. CheersTHXbye.

Seriously, there is a form of matchmaking, which relies on having a large pool of players to choose from- not just the first 16 who queue. - Server population and encouraging more players is almost entirely on the studio. - And they rise to the challenge by rebranding old content as new and finding new ways to encourage people to quit. GG!

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Hate me if you must, but the balance is actually pretty good, apart from a few outliers.

Mando selfheals need a slight nerf. Just get rid of the ridiculous h2f on reflect and it's fine.

Sorc heals are too mobile, but not much.

Engi Snipers Plasma Probe is way too big(probably a bug?).

Imo that's all it takes for the moment. The last you want is for bioware to make big adjustments that shift the balance the other way around. Small adjustments are needed. Not big nerfs.

There's nothing about the terms MMO or RPG that suggests that PvP "must" be involved. That's what Star Wars: Battlefront is for. :)

Well, you had a 50% chance to guess that one correctly. Care to try again? Or is this your first MMO?

Name three AAA ones that haven't had PvP. Hell, name one.

Edited by stoopicus

/signed . Class Balance is a mess. ESP. Sorcs suck. They hit like a wet noodle.[/QT

Following are some of the problems Sages and Sorcerers face in PvP:

The stuns, mezzes and CCs of other classes

Ability of some classes to damage without breaking stun

Mobility of other classes

Activated and channeled abilities that reduce mobility and burst damage

Requirement for some skills to face the target

Well, you had a 50% chance to guess that one correctly. Care to try again? Or is this your first MMO?

Name three AAA ones that haven't had PvP. Hell, name one.

How many MMOs have had PvP is irrelevant. My statement still stands - there's nothing about the term MMO or RPG that demands any PvP.

I haven't tried all MMOs, (have you?) but there are many single player RPGs that have no PvP. (duh :) )

I only played LotR Online for a little while, but I don't recall any PvP in that, but quoting from Wikipedia:

"Classic Player versus player (PvP) combat, such as found in WoW and many other MMOs, does not exist in LOTRO. LOTRO does have "Sparring" where Player versus player (PvP) like combat results by inviting other players to spar one-on-one."

That's not really PvP in the sense you mean.

You could also, technically speaking, call "Second Life" or "the SIMS online" MMORPGs, but they have no PvP as far as I know.

You PvP'ers need to realize that SWTOR doesn't revolve around you. PvP is just a secondary feature - not the prime function.

P.S. I've played Guild Wars (1 & 2), LOTRO, DND Online, WoW, plus I've dabbled in a few others - in other words, no, this is not my first MMO or RPG.

Edited by JediQuaker

How many MMOs have had PvP is irrelevant. My statement still stands - there's nothing about the term MMO or RPG that demands any PvP.

I haven't tried all MMOs, (have you?) but there are many single player RPGs that have no PvP. (duh :) )

I only played LotR Online for a little while, but I don't recall any PvP in that, but quoting from Wikipedia:

"Classic Player versus player (PvP) combat, such as found in WoW and many other MMOs, does not exist in LOTRO. LOTRO does have "Sparring" where Player versus player (PvP) like combat results by inviting other players to spar one-on-one."

That's not really PvP in the sense you mean.

You could also, technically speaking, call "Second Life" or "the SIMS online" MMORPGs, but they have no PvP as far as I know.

You PvP'ers need to realize that SWTOR doesn't revolve around you. PvP is just a secondary feature - not the prime function.

P.S. I've played Guild Wars (1 & 2), LOTRO, DND Online, WoW, plus I've dabbled in a few others - in other words, no, this is not my first MMO or RPG.

I would argue that you are wrong, yeah pvp and pve isn't inherent to it but when a game is labeled a MMO (massive multiplayer online) and a large majority of the community wants less story more group content than yes pvp and pve is a must if we truly wanted to play a game with great stories we can grab that else where. My argument is the lack of trying to rebalance the game in its pvp and pve communities. Right now if your class sucks in comparison of another class well guess what good luck next year maybe they'll buff you in the next expansion maybe?

What you need to realize is if the pvp feature isn't one of the primary features like its being treated right now than a lot of player will quit. Right now story and cartel packs seems to be the focus both of which we would rather get rid of to get group content the whole reason we spend $15 a month is to play this game with others not alone spending more than $15+ to get cartel packs that get you reskinned mounts and armors and some useless emotes.

Concussion Missile needs to go tbh. Why for the life of me mercs are able to insta cast an ability that can knock you out for 10 seconds is incredibility FUBAR. I mean good god man, you have the best dmg in pvp, 3 lives, insta cast buffs, and even then if you still get in a pinch you can disable for 10 seconds and off heal back to 50%. Off heals, on DPS spec merc... really BW.

BW doesn't understand how broken mercs are on every level.

Hate me if you must, but the balance is actually pretty good, apart from a few outliers.

Mando selfheals need a slight nerf. Just get rid of the ridiculous h2f on reflect and it's fine.

Imo that's all it takes for the moment. The last you want is for bioware to make big adjustments that shift the balance the other way around. Small adjustments are needed. Not big nerfs.

Scrapper Scoundrel and Concealment Operative DPS has been pretty much the same as 4.x the only difference is now everyone has over 110k health. Not to mention their burst isn't that good.

Powertech and Vangaurd DPS needs fixing, even their tank spec needs better DCD's when you compare them to Sins/Shadows and Guardian/Juggernaut.

Overall their is way too much survivability on DPS classes, coupled wtih over the top healing makes 70s a bit boring when both sides have little to no kills.

What you need to realize is if the pvp feature isn't one of the primary features like its being treated right now than a lot of player will quit. Right now story and cartel packs seems to be the focus both of which we would rather get rid of to get group content the whole reason we spend $15 a month is to play this game with others not alone spending more than $15+ to get cartel packs that get you reskinned mounts and armors and some useless emotes.

Right, this pretty much sums it up. Ignoring PvP is more or less the same as ignoring endgame ops in terms of short-sighted potential player disgruntlement. In fact even in the current state I would speculate that there are more people regularly PvPing on Harb than running ops - regs queue pops with full WZs in 30 secs or less even in off hours.

What you need to realize is if the pvp feature isn't one of the primary features like its being treated right now than a lot of player will quit. .

I don't think either one of us knows how many PvPers there are or how many would quit. Part of the reason why you don't seem to be getting as much attention to PvP as you would like, may just be that the metrics show BW that relatively few people actually do PvP. They seem to be concentrating more on the story aspects of the game, which may be an indication that they get more new subscribers from story aspects than from PvP.

In other words, maybe BW doesn't care if PvP'ers quit - small loss. :)

I don't think either one of us knows how many PvPers there are or how many would quit. Part of the reason why you don't seem to be getting as much attention to PvP as you would like, may just be that the metrics show BW that relatively few people actually do PvP. They seem to be concentrating more on the story aspects of the game, which may be an indication that they get more new subscribers from story aspects than from PvP.

In other words, maybe BW doesn't care if PvP'ers quit - small loss. :)

But even if it "is" a small loss, and as you said we don't know one way or the other, it's still a loss. It's a loss that takes minimal effort to maintain. Just reasonable balance, they don't need to make much in terms of content since the players themselves are the content. So asking for reasonable balance isn't reaching by any means. Even if pvpers only make up 5-10% of the player-base it's still extra revenue for something they should be doing anyway, creating "relatively" balanced classes. (There will never be completely balanced classes, it's impossible)

That being said I'd like to see more ops and group content in general myself as well, even if it's never considered the main focus. Being story centric isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I personally feel almost completely ignoring anything other than single-player story is a mistake. This is assuming they even still have the resources to do anything at this point. I don't really know the situation at Bioware Austin or the restrictions or instructions the suits may be passing down on the developers. This conversation as a whole may be moot for all we know.

I agree...balance is better than it's been ever imo. Here's how the top 100 spots of group ranked look:

20 = Sorcs

18 = Maras

17 = Assassins

14 = Powertechs

12 = Snipers

9 = Mercs

7 = Juggs

3 = Operatives

I've NEVER seen it so diverse.