Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

Lunafox

Thanks, but I already knew that, I just figured there would be more to it. :)

Ahh. Well, knowing Broysc, that would be enough lol. I mean, Malavai DISOBEYED AN ORDER. I'm pretty sure Broysc has had officers executed for lesser offenses. I don't think the man was ever really wrapped too tight.

Ahh. Well, knowing Broysc, that would be enough lol. I mean, Malavai DISOBEYED AN ORDER. I'm pretty sure Broysc has had officers executed for lesser offenses. I don't think the man was ever really wrapped too tight.

I think you're quite right on that score, I don't think it would take much for Broysc to execute a man. He's batpoodoo crazy that one.

Okay guys....I got a response. It's long...and probably not what we were hoping for (certainly not my head-canon anyway). I'm waiting to get his permission to post it here. (I know...the anticipation is palpable!) If nothing else, I'll summarize the gist of it.

And I'm totally feeling you, Lammia...especially considering how much work you put into your own Quinn-clan. I'm going to put what he says behind spoiler tags so you (and anyone else who doesn't want to know) don't have to see it if you don't want to.

I'm kind of the opposite when I write my stories in that I want to stay as faithful as I can to the original writer's vision while adding my own touches to fill things out a bit and tailor them to my character. So while this first bit really blows what I've already written out of the water, I'm still enjoying having the insight of Quinn's creator so I can learn all I can about the character himself.

I'm also planning on asking him some non-Quinn related questions about the SW story as well. Just because they were things that popped up while I was writing....like who is FimmRess' "master on the Dark Council"? Was there ever plans to do more with Draagh between first meeting and his betrayal? And how much fun was it to write DS Jaesa as the Sithy-est Sith Who Ever Sith-ed? :p:D

Okay guys....I got a response. It's long...and probably not what we were hoping for (certainly not my head-canon anyway.

Oops, I woke up at 3 to check on the thread and now I'm not sleepy anymore.

No matter what it is I'm just delighted he's talking to us, it's more than we've gotten from the current devs. And I don't think I've over-romanticized their relationship too much, I've already outlined how I view it back at the beginning of the thread and nothing has changed.

I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready! 🍍

Edited by grania

Oops, I woke up at 3 to check on the thread and now I'm not sleepy anymore.

No matter what it is I'm just delighted he's talking to us, it's more than we've gotten from the current devs. And I don't think I've over-romanticized their relationship too much, I've already outlined how I view it back at the beginning of the thread and nothing has changed.

I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready! 🍍

I had a really hard time sleeping last night because I was anticipating his answer plus trying to think of more questions. The first thing I did this morning was run to Twitter to find his response in my DMs. Now I've got really mixed feelings over it, but still incredibly excited that he took the time to write out a very detailed answer (I was prepared for the possibility of just getting a few sentences just to appease the crazy fangirl)....and looking forward to more!

It sucks being in different time zones because I keep checking Twitter, but I know he's probably sleeping now. :p

Okay guys....I got a response. It's long...and probably not what we were hoping for (certainly not my head-canon anyway). I'm waiting to get his permission to post it here. (I know...the anticipation is palpable!) If nothing else, I'll summarize the gist of it.

And I'm totally feeling you, Lammia...especially considering how much work you put into your own Quinn-clan. I'm going to put what he says behind spoiler tags so you (and anyone else who doesn't want to know) don't have to see it if you don't want to.

I'm kind of the opposite when I write my stories in that I want to stay as faithful as I can to the original writer's vision while adding my own touches to fill things out a bit and tailor them to my character. So while this first bit really blows what I've already written out of the water, I'm still enjoying having the insight of Quinn's creator so I can learn all I can about the character himself.

I'm also planning on asking him some non-Quinn related questions about the SW story as well. Just because they were things that popped up while I was writing....like who is FimmRess' "master on the Dark Council"? Was there ever plans to do more with Draagh between first meeting and his betrayal? And how much fun was it to write DS Jaesa as the Sithy-est Sith Who Ever Sith-ed? :p:D

No, you're not opposite. If I was opposite to that, I wouldn't care what his intentions were. But I try my best to stick to canon of the game, so that is why I am worried, because, say, if he says that Quinn never loved you and never would, all was an act that Baras told him to do, I could feel compelled to roll with it, because that's canon and whatever is in my story, means the story can be thrown into trash. How do I annihilate their whole history of love, their life together, their unconditional trust, their son in a blink of an eye and explain anything that happened later? How do I explain she didn't kick him in the arse on Iokath for lying to her for years, and send on his marry way back to Acina?

On the other hand, I completely ignore things that were in beta dialogue, because they were not in game, so aren't canon (I could treat his "behind the scenes stories" the same, but I don't know if I would/could), e.g. Quinn being already engaged in an arranged marriage when you meet him. I ignore it, because it wasn't in game, so "didn't happen", and I build his personality on being different from something like that, because I learnt of it much later, so it wasn't a factor.

I'm excited! I'm really looking forward to seeing what he said. I hope he permits you to share it with us. :D

I'm excited! I'm really looking forward to seeing what he said. I hope he permits you to share it with us. :D

Edit: For some reason, I always suspected that Fimmress belonged to Vowrawn...not sure why, but it seemed to make sense to me.

Edited by Lunafox

No, you're not opposite. If I was opposite to that, I wouldn't care what his intentions were. But I try my best to stick to canon of the game, so that is why I am worried, because, say, if he says that Quinn never loved you and never would, all was an act that Baras told him to do, I could feel compelled to roll with it, because that's canon and whatever is in my story, means the story can be thrown into trash. How do I annihilate their whole history of love, their life together, their unconditional trust, their son in a blink of an eye and explain anything that happened later? How do I explain she didn't kick him in the arse on Iokath for lying to her for years, and send on his marry way back to Acina?

On the other hand, I completely ignore things that were in beta dialogue, because they were not in game, so aren't canon (I could treat his "behind the scenes stories" the same, but I don't know if I would/could), e.g. Quinn being already engaged in an arranged marriage when you meet him. I ignore it, because it wasn't in game, so "didn't happen", and I build his personality on being different from something like that, because I learnt of it much later, so it wasn't a factor.

Huh, I always wondered about his romantic history before we met him. I kind of like it, but I also feel I have the choice to accept it as the truth or not since it was removed.

Gosh there was this other game where the LI for females had his backstory cut out, and thank goodness for that. Lines recorded and everything but at the last minute, someone decided that it was probably NOT a good idea to include the story about how he had previously fallen in love with a prostitute and then killed his rival for her affection. YUCK, doesn't get much worse than that.

I can accept the arranged marriage thing but not the falling in love with a ***** thing. The difference being (obvious) it doesn't seem shockingly out of character for Quinn to quietly dump an arrangement, but completely out of character for this guy who was supposed to be the goodest of the good to go to brothels and kill dudes, lol.

Having said all that, I know that whether or not you personally like the backstory is not the greater point you're making. :o That story works to fill in a gap for me *and* I'm not horrified by it, which is a bonus. Writers can change their minds, maybe things aren't only just removed because of time constraints.

Edited by grania

Having said all that, I know that whether or not you personally like the backstory is not the greater point you're making. :o That story works to fill in a gap for me personally *and* I'm not horrified by it, which is a bonus. Plus, writers can change their minds, maybe things aren't only just removed because of time constraints.

I was not trying to make a point. Just giving an example of my thinking, and it's the only I have, because I didn't care to check the beta dialogue, and this is one thing a friend shared once while we talked about something.

I probably should just shut up and leave.

I was not trying to make a point. Just giving an example of my thinking, and it's the only I have, because I didn't care to check the beta dialogue, and this is one thing a friend shared once while we talked about something.

I think I've upset you, I'm sorry. Maybe I really can't understand why hearing from the author is something to be dreaded and not celebrated. I'll leave you alone.

I had a really hard time sleeping last night because I was anticipating his answer plus trying to think of more questions. The first thing I did this morning was run to Twitter to find his response in my DMs. Now I've got really mixed feelings over it, but still incredibly excited that he took the time to write out a very detailed answer (I was prepared for the possibility of just getting a few sentences just to appease the crazy fangirl)....and looking forward to more!

It sucks being in different time zones because I keep checking Twitter, but I know he's probably sleeping now. :p

So his responses were in private? Blerg even more waiting :o

No, no, don't do that. I enjoy reading your thoughts and your concerns are valid. We're all going to have different reactions to the information, or even if we want to know that information, and we're all in the right about it, because we have to do what is right for us. So you do you, and I'll do me and same with everyone else too.

I guess I fall in with those who are excited about the information, regardless of what it is...I suppose if I don't like it, well, it's easy enough for me to retreat back into my own mind. I know that's not something everyone can or is willing to do, I'm just speaking for me. In a lot of ways I've immersed myself into my own story so much, I think of all the characters as more mine than theirs now at this point anyway lol. I know it's not so, but if I don't like what's said, it won't be the end for me, I reckon I'll figure away around it anyhow. :)

So his responses were in private? Blerg even more waiting :o

Yes.....because I don't think either of us wanted to try to type everything out in Twitter's 140-character limit. I know I would've gone insane.

And...here we go. Had to leave out a little at the beginning at his request, but gave me the impression that the whole betrayal scenario/conversation that was changed had made more sense with the "kill" option that got taken out.... (Everything in the spoiler tag is C&P straight from his message to me, so it's straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.)

"But the long and short of it is that Quinn is loyal to an absolute fault. And unfortunately his loyalty to Baras long outdates his loyalty to you, even though the bond you've forged with him may be more real and based on deeper things. Baras literally saved Quinn's life, and, even more important to him, his career, at a time when he was only just starting out really, and all his dreams and hopes and great potential we're about to be dashed. So when you and Baras begin to cross swords, it's a truly awful crisis for him. In my mind, therefore, there was no need for Baras to use the force to make Quinn betray you. I tried to leave it open to interpretation that Quinn could have secretly programmed the war droids so the SW would be able to defeat them, and sprang the betrayal otherwise faithfully. He'd then be able to have honored or seemed to have honored his duty to Baras, while being "faithful" to you. And he'd of course be willing to pay the ultimate price for this conflict of interest he's responsible for. In my mind, he would not expect to survive the event, and would never divulge his true intentions. He is a man who understands sacrifice for integrity and principle. Even if he has to live now estranged from the one he admires, respects and even loves most."

Edited by feylyndiira

That makes a great deal more sense to me...that perhaps Malavai was going to be court marshaled, or already was and was slated for execution. I can see Moff Broysc demanding the worst sentence possible and then some...no doubt for whatever Malavai did in the Battle of Drukenwell.

There's a good question, what exactly happened in Drukenwell? What did Malavai do that was so terrible?

Oh I imagine our Quinterino has quite the past.

He was likely the recipient of some shady back room Imp politicking (you know what imps are like), or maybe he fell foul of a Sith Lord (temperamental bunch) and Baras exploited the situation.

Now I'm playing SW story again I'm starting to see Baras in a different light and how he deals with "assets". Always kicking leaves over his tracks.

Yes.....because I don't think either of us wanted to try to type everything out in Twitter's 140-character limit. I know I would've gone insane.

And...here we go. Had to leave out a little at the beginning at his request, but gave me the impression that the whole betrayal scenario/conversation that was changed had made more sense with the "kill" option that got taken out....

But the long and short of it is that Quinn is loyal to an absolute fault. And unfortunately his loyalty to Baras long outdates his loyalty to you, even though the bond you've forged with him may be more real and based on deeper things. Baras literally saved Quinn's life, and, even more important to him, his career, at a time when he was only just starting out really, and all his dreams and hopes and great potential we're about to be dashed. So when you and Baras begin to cross swords, it's a truly awful crisis for him. In my mind, therefore, there was no need for Baras to use the force to make Quinn betray you. I tried to leave it open to interpretation that Quinn could have secretly programmed the war droids so the SW would be able to defeat them, and sprang the betrayal otherwise faithfully. He'd then be able to have honored or seemed to have honored his duty to Baras, while being "faithful" to you. And he'd of course be willing to pay the ultimate price for this conflict of interest he's responsible for. In my mind, he would not expect to survive the event, and would never divulge his true intentions. He is a man who understands sacrifice for integrity and principle. Even if he has to live now estranged from the one he admires, respects and even loves most.

YES!!!!! MY HEADCANNON IS CONFIRMED!!!! That is comp;letely the way I've always seen it. Now I'm a very happy Quinn Fangirl :)

And...here we go. Had to leave out a little at the beginning at his request, but gave me the impression that the whole betrayal scenario/conversation that was changed had made more sense with the "kill" option that got taken out....

But the long and short of it is that Quinn is loyal to an absolute fault. And unfortunately his loyalty to Baras long outdates his loyalty to you, even though the bond you've forged with him may be more real and based on deeper things. Baras literally saved Quinn's life, and, even more important to him, his career, at a time when he was only just starting out really, and all his dreams and hopes and great potential we're about to be dashed. So when you and Baras begin to cross swords, it's a truly awful crisis for him. In my mind, therefore, there was no need for Baras to use the force to make Quinn betray you. I tried to leave it open to interpretation that Quinn could have secretly programmed the war droids so the SW would be able to defeat them, and sprang the betrayal otherwise faithfully. He'd then be able to have honored or seemed to have honored his duty to Baras, while being "faithful" to you. And he'd of course be willing to pay the ultimate price for this conflict of interest he's responsible for. In my mind, he would not expect to survive the event, and would never divulge his true intentions. He is a man who understands sacrifice for integrity and principle. Even if he has to live now estranged from the one he admires, respects and even loves most.

So when you say "In my mind etc" you mean in Neil's mind, yes? Sorry just want to make sure I'm following~

YES!!!!! MY HEADCANNON IS CONFIRMED!!!! That is comp;letely the way I've always seen it. Now I'm a very happy Quinn Fangirl :)

Yeah, it doesn't change really anything for me either *shrug* :)

Edited by grania

Very good point! (And if you don't mind the spoiler, thankfully, that is not the case!) I know, once I read his response, I started worrying because my head-canon of my story doesn't line up with it....but I knew that was definitely a possibility. Thankfully, it's not the extreme opposite....and I can still kind of reconcile myself with it even though it doesn't mesh with what I've already written. Now I'm starting to try to figure out how to blend the two, since I have yet to write the betrayal.

I understand....I admit that this is all giving me a sense of anticipation/dread to see how much of it I might have gotten right or wrong in my own "fill in the blanks". I may or may not alter things in my own story, depending on his answers. Or, at some point, I might start a new one, based more on the new information....just to see how it plays out. It just depends on how much his vision diverges from mine.

So when you say "In my mind etc" you mean in Neil's mind, yes? Sorry just want to make sure I'm following~

Yes...sorry....the whole spoiler thing is a direct quote from him. Let me edit to clarify.

Yeah, it doesn't change really anything for me either *shrug* :)

Make sure you thank him for us, this was cool of him. If he says anything else or you feel like posting the transcript (minus the private things of course, whatever they were) let us know :) Oh and thank you too! Edited by grania

Make sure you thank him for us, this was cool of him. If he says anything else or you feel like posting the transcript (minus the private things of course, whatever they were) let us know :) Oh and thank you too!

Oh, don't worry....I've already let him know that there's an army of Quinn fans hanging on his every word over here! :D

Oh, don't worry....I've already let him know that there's an army of Quinn fans hanging on his every word over here! :D

*blush*

You know what, the only thing I'm going to think about differently is

the way Quinn delivers his lines during the betrayal. Richard hams it the heck up with the "my true master" line and the "he had me lure you here.." line. When it seems like he's meant to sound or feel a little more conflicted about it. So yeah I'm blaming him for that but I forgive him, lol. <3

Edited by grania

*blush*

You know what, the only thing I'm going to think about differently is

the way Quinn delivers his lines during the betrayal. Richard hams it the heck up with the "my true master" line and the "he had me lure you here.." line. When it seems like he's meant to sound or feel a little more conflicted about it. So yeah I'm blaming him for that but I forgive him, lol. <3

Yeah, it's kind of similar with the whole Theron betrayal in that...

...they had to go with sort of a one-size-fits-all approach. So no matter if you married Quinn or treated him like dirt, it could only play out one way due to, I'm sure, just story/programming/time/budget/whatever restraints. So the romance option ended up the same as the "just treated him like a another crewmember or worse" option. And, if Baras was watching the whole thing (something else I need to ask Neil about), then it would make sense in either case that Quinn would need to crank up the acting to make it convincing.