Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

Lunafox

All this just makes me realize how so many people can have so many different outlooks on one character. The way I imagine and write my Quinn is like the total opposite of what I'm hearing here. "Helpless" with "Asperger's"? Gads, no.

I see him as a very strong person who might have been a bit more open and social in his younger days (though with Colonel Rymar Quinn as a father, I think that he has always had the whole "military bearing" about him), but circumstances conspired (Druckenwell) to make him take a step back and analyze where his decisions have led him. The past 10 years pretty much forced him to grow up a lot more and he chose to focus solely on his career and doing whatever he could to keep it intact. Once the SW came along, he had the opportunity to jump-start his career...he even says to her that serving the Empire as best he can has always been his #1 priority. Of course, he's going to react against her flirting and Vette's teasing, just because he finds it unprofessional in a military setting....which is the one thing that's been his constant his entire life, almost. Now you have these two kind of upsetting his routine and, since the SW is his superior, but also a Sith, he's not sure how to handle dealing with it. I actually commented in one of my fanfic chapters that he's pretty much a classic victim of workplace sexual harassment from a superior.

I think it just takes him a while to reconcile the whole "My superior officer (Sith) actually likes me as more than just a servant" thing and it takes time for him to get comfortable with it. It's normal for someone who has been subjected to a rigid structure all their life. And the thing with Baras...well, it's just being stuck between two powerful Sith that you owe loyalty to and having to decide who to back...even though it's pretty much a "rock and a hard place" scenario where it's pretty certain he's going to die no matter who he chooses.

I could go on forever....but heck, I've already written 29 chapters of fanfic, a good portion of which is digging around in his brain. It's what I like to do because I find him such a fascinating character. I just see him as being very mature and, in some ways, rigid, due to his upbringing and circumstances. You have to remember that he's in his mid- to late-30s when the SW meets him. So he's not going to be some frivolous young kid.

Edited by feylyndiira

I always saw him that way too. He acts to me as if most of his life has been career military professionalism and rigid structure, and that's how he comes across when his new superior decidedly not being professional and he struggles with that before he's comfortable with it. He's interested, but outside his comfort zone which is that military officer of the Empire thing. Just how he came across to me though. Edited by Asmodesu

I always saw him that way too. He acts to me as if most of his life has been career military professionalism and rigid structure, and that's how he comes across when his new superior decidedly not being professional and he struggles with that before he's comfortable with it. He's interested, but outside his comfort zone which is that military officer of the Empire thing. Just how he came across to me though.

Exactly. I guess it's because I've been in the military myself and my husband is military as well (former Marine, now Army), so I know that the whole military structure, customs and courtesies and so forth are very much drilled into you the whole time you're in. Add to that the fact that Quinn was raised in a military family and he's pretty much been subject to military structure and attitude since birth. Being able to shake even some of that off enough to open up to a superior is extremely difficult.

I was also military and he does remind of one or two officers I ran across. I was a grunt though so I never ran across the internal politics that happen in the upper echelons.

I was enlisted as well...hubby, on the other hand is an officer, but prior enlisted, so I get to hear about all the fun (not!) political BS he has to put up with sometimes. Plus, my unit was rather officer-heavy, so I got exposed to all types, from the "hey, I'm just another one of the guys" types to the "I am an officer, you will obey me...here's the rules and regulations you need to know" types...and everything in between. So yeah, I "get" Quinn and his whole attitude about how he tends to think life should reflect military standards, and being a bit befuddled when it doesn't always.

Yeah, I was light infantry and by extension a sniper. In the British Army there's still a whiff of toffery in it with a large degree of nepotism. You'll find most of the officers are more attracted to the cavalry regiments.

There's a reason why we have "Rupert" as a nickname for them. Ol' Quinster fits the British Army officer stereotype nicely.

I base his behaviour on more than just being from a military family or being an officer (I'm a soldier's daughter myself).

I base it on his flustering when being flirted with (I see it more than Sith/superior, although that is a big factor too). On his "I'm better at saluting that shaking hands" comment. He's socially awkward, and that's why an easy victim of Vette's pranks. She's not his superior, if he was so skilled socially, he'd know exactly how to deal with her. He doesn't, until he's let to do it "his way" = in a military fashion.

He feels more comfortable with military rules, because they're clear. Relationships are clear. Reactions are described by regulations, thus removing the need of understanding other people.

Social interactions are unpredictable, chaotic, and hard to deal with for him.

Besides, if he was so normal and average, he wouldn't compute calculations in his brain, and his favourite past-time wouldn't be finding errors in census ;) IMHO, he's drawn to numbers, regulations, and rules because they don't change. People are not so comfortable to be around.

My agent, his brother, is not like that at all. Same family (although due to age difference, Mili doesn't remember their dad, and since their mother died in the line of duty when he was 9, Malavai in fact raised him), but different personalities. Mili is shy, but very skilled with people (must be to be an effective infiltrator).

I base his behaviour on more than just being from a military family or being an officer (I'm a soldier's daughter myself).

I base it on his flustering when being flirted with (I see it more than Sith/superior, although that is a big factor too). On his "I'm better at saluting that shaking hands" comment. He's socially awkward, and that's why an easy victim of Vette's pranks. She's not his superior, if he was so skilled socially, he'd know exactly how to deal with her. He doesn't, until he's let to do it "his way" = in a military fashion.

I don't see that as being "socially awkward" though, but more that all of his life he's been embedded with strict military structure....and he even says that Vette's "not wired for military precision"...so, considering that Vette is kind of outside the chain of military command/influence, he is unsure how he is supposed to deal with her. Especially, if Vette's status with the SW is something more than "collared alien slave". He's used to structure and, on board the SW's ship, that structure isn't necessarily present. The SW is his superior officer, but everyone and everything else tends to be a bit more...fluid.

He feels more comfortable with military rules, because they're clear. Relationships are clear. Reactions are described by regulations, thus removing the need of understanding other people.

Social interactions are unpredictable, chaotic, and hard to deal with for him.

Agree here, but I think it's just the reasoning behind it that we differ on.

Besides, if he was so normal and average, he wouldn't compute calculations in his brain, and his favourite past-time wouldn't be finding errors in census ;) IMHO, he's drawn to numbers, regulations, and rules because they don't change. People are not so comfortable to be around.

I don't know if this was someone's head-canon or quasi-official, but I remember reading somewhere that Quinn was actually part of the genetics program that created the Watchers, but it didn't "take" on him enough to get him into the program. So, he's still incredibly smart and far more capable than your average human in regards to calculations...and it explains why he had been hunting an SIS agent and why Baras used him as a spy/infiltrator on the SW's ship. For all we know, he could actually be a part of Intelligence....a sort of independent agent that Baras opted to scoop up and use for his own means, kind of like Jadus tried to do with Cipher 9.

EDITED to add that I'd give real money, body parts, whatever to be able to sit down and pick Neil Pollner's brain and ask him about all the things we never got to find out about Quinn in the vanilla story. I get the feeling there is a ton of backstory, etc that we just don't know.

My agent, his brother, is not like that at all. Same family (although due to age difference, Mili doesn't remember their dad, and since their mother died in the line of duty when he was 9, Malavai in fact raised him), but different personalities. Mili is shy, but very skilled with people (must be to be an effective infiltrator).

Funny, because I have his sister as being an agent in my story and she is pretty much Malavai's complete opposite. But their father died during her formidable years, so she wasn't quite as embedded with the whole "military attitude" as he was....not to mention, she did a lot of rebelling against it, especially after he died (as did their mother, who ran off with an artifacts dealer after being married for so long to a "stuffy hide-bound man").

Edited by feylyndiira

I am still so bummed that the reunion with Quinn in Iokath was so short and lacking in depth. I really was so invested in my female Sith Warrior romance with him, truly I not only enjoyed every bit of it in the vanilla game but I also felt as if I was romancing Quinn myself. That particular love interest is really well written in my opinion, which is why I am so sad that he didn't get more of a scene after the entire thing on Iokath was done when you were previously in a romance with him. Or at least they could have given him some cutscenes after the Iokath arc, like in the Alliance base on Odessen in your Commander's quarters there. Or heck, let us have some scenes back on our personal ship again I am extremely missing that! I'd love for it if Malavai was on our personal ship again on the bridge, after we get in back in chapter 9 on KotFE it really feels extremely empty if you don't have HK-51 acquired... Edited by Ylliarus

I am still so bummed that the reunion with Quinn in Iokath was so short and lacking in depth. I really was so invested in my female Sith Warrior romance with him, truly I not only enjoyed every bit of it in the vanilla game but I also felt as if I was romancing Quinn myself. That particular love interest is really well written in my opinion, which is why I am so sad that he didn't get more of a scene after the entire thing on Iokath was done when you were previously in a romance with him. Or at least they could have given him some cutscenes after the Iokath arc, like in the Alliance base on Odessen in your Commander's quarters there. Or heck, let us have some scenes back on our personal ship again I am extremely missing that! I'd love for it if Malavai was on our personal ship again on the bridge, after we get in back in chapter 9 on KotFE it really feels extremely empty if you don't have HK-51 acquired...

Welcome to the club of Greatly Disappointed. :( It's been months since Iokath was released, and some of us are still harping on it (I certainly am, and even more so for one particular reason).

Some people hope there's going to be more of him in future content, but I don't hold my breath.

We've got our first "detractor". Seriously, a topic about getting rid of another topic......

This is about the only fun topic on this entire forum.

It actually amused me. Someone's so bitter about us they're demanding deleting us. :rolleyes: I'm 100% sure they hate Quinn too. If it was about anyone else, it probably wouldn't even be an issue :D

It actually amused me. Someone's so bitter about us they're demanding deleting us. :rolleyes: I'm 100% sure they hate Quinn too. If it was about anyone else, it probably wouldn't even be an issue :D

Let them cry...their tears sustain us lol

It has amused me too. If anything I think the dev's are leaving us here to see how large we can get this thing.

What, what? *looks around* Oh, how about that? Oh well, seems like if they wanted to move our thread they would have done it way back during the Winter of Waiting *shrug*

Come to think of it, I very much appreciate they keep their complaints in a separate thread than this one, so, thanks dude :D

Speaking of Quinn, I'm going to try really hard to make my clone today. I really feel like something important is missing from my life without one, as some of the best screenshots are thanks to clones (*winks at nightfrogger*)

Wait what mount would Quinn use?

Well that didn't take very long at all, here's a good one already:

https://i.imgur.com/fJalfEt.png

/cackles

Though I wonder what other good stuff I missed by spending coins to make my lvl 32 warrior a clone vs starting him off as one, hm..

Edited by grania

Where's the detractor? Did Quinn and Theron (aided by Zombie Vette and Filbert Widmark Pierce) chuck him out of the airlock? Good! As if they would delete this thread - could you imagine the pitch-forkings if they did?

EDIT: I saw the thread! I ROTFLMAO :D The person who created it is already on my ignore list - I believe that's because he posted unpleasantness in this very thread a while back.

Yeah, I was light infantry and by extension a sniper. In the British Army there's still a whiff of toffery in it with a large degree of nepotism. You'll find most of the officers are more attracted to the cavalry regiments.

There's a reason why we have "Rupert" as a nickname for them. Ol' Quinster fits the British Army officer stereotype nicely.

I'm from a military family and I've always seen Quinn as typically similar to an RAF (British Air Force) officer sort and very focused on his career. I've never seen him as weak, fainty, socially inept or otherwise slightly needing of protection however I do think he has a slight superiority complex until he meets the warrior. I've always put down his initial awkwardness at being the attention of someone with more power than he could ever wield and his experiences with Baras & other sith have probably influenced how he views force wielders. In my fantasy, Quinn never thought in a million years that a sith would be attracted to him. It is very interesting to see how other's perceive him though. If we all thought the same this thread would be very boring!

Bumping this to annoy the detractor, and because Quinn is awesome.

Welcome :D and thanks!

Edited by Sarova

I've never seen him as weak, fainty, socially inept or otherwise slightly needing of protection however I do think he has a slight superiority complex until he meets the warrior. I've always put down his initial awkwardness at being the attention of someone with more power than he could ever wield and his experiences with Baras & other sith have probably influenced how he views force wielders. In my fantasy, Quinn never thought in a million years that a sith would be attracted to him. It is very interesting to see how other's perceive him though. If we all thought the same this thread would be very boring!

Welcome :D and thanks!

Just to be clear, I never thought of him as weak or in need of protection, either. I'm in computer science, so I see people like Quinn all the time; completely brilliant and focused, but uninterested or out of practice socially. I find those types of people very interesting and fun to get to know one on one, but they can be totally lost when it comes to Sith I mean office politics.

I'm from a military family and I've always seen Quinn as typically similar to an RAF (British Air Force) officer sort and very focused on his career. I've never seen him as weak, fainty, socially inept or otherwise slightly needing of protection however I do think he has a slight superiority complex until he meets the warrior. I've always put down his initial awkwardness at being the attention of someone with more power than he could ever wield and his experiences with Baras & other sith have probably influenced how he views force wielders. In my fantasy, Quinn never thought in a million years that a sith would be attracted to him. It is very interesting to see how other's perceive him though. If we all thought the same this thread would be very boring!

That's pretty much spot-on to what I think too. He's freaking intelligent, great at his job...a real over-achiever, then the SW pops into his life and starts making overtures and.....well, I'm sure that report that Pierce sent him after he married the SW has been floating around for quite a long time before that, so he knows that getting involved with a Sith Lord has a very high probability of ending badly.

Plus, my head-canon has it that he was placed on the SW's ship to spy on her for Baras, so he's almost forced to try to keep some kind of distance, no matter how he might really feel about her, just for his and her own safety. I mean, heck, he was willing to beg for reassignment rather than act on his feelings once he realized he had them "for the sake of you and the crew".

For fear of being a walking advertisement for my fanfic, I want to just save myself typing and say "Go read this and it will give you all the insight I could ever impart on my outlook on Quinn's personality/thoughts/actions" :rolleyes::D

:sy_darkside:

:sy_darkside:
:sy_darkside: Edited by feylyndiira

We've got our first "detractor". Seriously, a topic about getting rid of another topic......

This is about the only fun topic on this entire forum.

*snicker snort giggle snorff* Well that was amusing. :D Our presence annoys someone! ...oof, the social justice snowflakes have invaded the forums, whining about being offended by something's mere existence...

Well, you know what we say to that!?

A day may come when this thread is nuked!

But it is not this day.

An hour of pitchforks, and mass unsubscribes!

BUT IT IS NOT! THIS! DAY!

This day we fangirl!

I BID YOU QUINNMANCE! FANGIRLS! OF THE QUINN!!!

...on another note, evidently a lot of people read this thread who don't post here. o.o Hi, forums! *waves* Enjoy the craziness and the hilarity (grania's Very Confused Quinn picture is priceless - "...Lord Baras didn't inform me I had a twin.") and the friendships we've all built. :D

*clears throat and spanks glass with a fork*

Hey all, I just want to say how much I appreciate you guys and all the great art, stories, humour and discussions we have. Like the trekkies say, I hope we live long and prosper! :p To 555 and beyond! *said like Buzz Lightyear*

Can't believe that someone would be so irritated with us having fun they'd have to make a whole thread about it. Wow, just wow. :confused:

Also, as the Grand Admiral says, Hi and welcome to all the people who visit and lurk. Hope you guys have fun here. :) Thanks for the fun and the support!

*waves around black and red pompoms* Quinn, Quinn, he's our man, if he can't do it no one can! :D

*glances around and sits down fast*

Oh sure, but not permanently. e_e Vette and Filbert Widmark Pierce would very quickly clutter up the thread. Quinn and Theron are ridiculous enough to deal with. XD

True enough lol. I giggle whenever I see Filbert Widmark Pierce. He hee.

Theron: I'm listed above Pierce. Yay for small victories!

Quinn: Marginally. Despite the fact that, between the two of you, you and Pierce have only two lone brain cells.

Theron: *grumble*

Quinn: In any case, I had considered that, my lord Darth Lunafox. I mean no offense, of course, but do keep in mind that you are not off the list of subjects, nor is the Grand Adm--

I'm standing right here, guys...!

Quinn: --iral hello sir we were just discussing you...

*facepalm* Quinn, dear, I'm typing your dialogue, I know what you're discussing.

Quinn: ...

Theron: Now that, I'm going to have to get used to.

Quinn: Oh yes, the wonders of being a fictional character... *nervously looks toward the fourth wall, wondering if that'll implode at any second...again*

Don't worry, I reinforced it. It'll hold! *fourth wall creaks and groans ominously* Hopefully! *sweat drop*

Theron: Hey, there's Vette.

Vette: Hey, Shan! Nice to see you again. Oh, think you picked up a stray puppy somewhere - or you'd think so by the way Admiral Malcontent is trailing along there...

Theron: ...Admiral Malco--

Quinn: Never mind that. *clears throat angrily* Vette. It has come to my attention that a letter, sent to the Wrath in a certain situation, paints me in an entirely unflattering light.

Vette: Really? Who wrote that? Because I think I want to give them a hug.

Quinn: It says that I have always "loved" your jokes.

Vette: Oh, that letter. I--wait, WHAT *jaw hits floor*

Quinn: Did you write this defamatory statement??

Vette: ................AHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quinn: :confused:

Theron: I think we broke her. Uh, Vette?

Vette: *wipes tears from eyes* Haha...oh, wow...just...ha! Okay, I'm okay now. *snicker* Really, Major Mishap? You do know that letter is written and only written after I'm dead?

Theron: ...th...how are you in this thread...

Vette: Same way Quinn is: fangirl armor. Speaking of which, do you still think I--hey, where'd Quinn go?

Theron: He was right here. *looks around* Oh. He's rapidly marching off into the distance, beet red, and...I think he's yelling something about a world of pain and your lekku...and....*cough* Uhh, we're going to go check on Pierce now. See if he wrote that letter.

Vette: Wouldn't put it past him, seeing as it's a stupid thing to do. *giggle* Really, who'd ever believe Quinn likes my jokes?

Theron: I wonder if it really is Pierce...or *dramatic lighting* someone else.

*ominous thunder and lightning* DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN

*ducks* Who let the Inquistor in here? :D No matter, lightning can be motivating in learning the truth. It appears the fourth wall is holding. Grand Admiral. Being a suspect is exciting. I feel almost like we're on one of those WHODUNNIT Weekends, except without the expensive hooch and space snails. Someone needs to do something about that. I do believe they've been alone with Pierce for some time now.

Should we be concerned? Perhaps we ought look in on them. :p

Edited by Lunafox

*snicker snort giggle snorff* Well that was amusing. :D Our presence annoys someone! ...oof, the social justice snowflakes have invaded the forums, whining about being offended by something's mere existence...

Well, you know what we say to that!?

A day may come when this thread is nuked!

But it is not this day.

An hour of pitchforks, and mass unsubscribes!

BUT IT IS NOT! THIS! DAY!

This day we fangirl!

I BID YOU QUINNMANCE! FANGIRLS! OF THE QUINN!!!

...on another note, evidently a lot of people read this thread who don't post here. o.o Hi, forums! *waves* Enjoy the craziness and the hilarity (grania's Very Confused Quinn picture is priceless - "...Lord Baras didn't inform me I had a twin.") and the friendships we've all built. :D

:D He's like "Right. I've seen a lot of strange looking people come through here, but this.. this is a new one."

*clears throat and spanks glass with a fork*

Hey all, I just want to say how much I appreciate you guys and all the great art, stories, humour and discussions we have. Like the trekkies say, I hope we live long and prosper! :p To 555 and beyond! *said like Buzz Lightyear*

Can't believe that someone would be so irritated with us having fun they'd have to make a whole thread about it. Wow, just wow. :confused:

Also, as the Grand Admiral says, Hi and welcome to all the people who visit and lurk. Hope you guys have fun here. :) Thanks for the fun and the support!

*waves around black and red pompoms* Quinn, Quinn, he's our man, if he can't do it no one can! :D

*glances around and sits down fast*

I have always had fun here, the most I've ever had posting on a forum. Thanks everyone :)