The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can't bring myself to play republic side *SPOILERS*

GericoV

I've played IA, SW and SI story fully and halfish of BH and SW again. I've tried to play each republic class before but have never got past fleet or Coruscant at the most. There's just something about the stories and side quests of republic side that doesn't draw me in.

I like the fact that on Imp side you're going through a story which develops your character and helps their faction but at the same time you can work towards your own gain. E.g. SI: from slave to dark council member, building up your power base and ultimately working to be as powerful as possible. Or IA defending the empire but ultimately you can serve your own self interest by keeping the Codex.

On rep side however the force users, i assume, are selfless and only work to protect others and the republic. Can the force users be played so that they seek personal gain and end as a galactic power?

I know the smuggler can definitely do this but my concern is that because they're not a force user they fit in less story wise for future expansions, i.e KotFE.

Thoughts? Basically how would you sell me to play through the rep stories. I don't mind spoilers, gives me something to look forward to.

Edited by GericoV
Delete

You made a mistake posting this in the ''General'' Forum section.

This topic is too good for here and worth discussing, however it will get buried.

I suggest you repost it in the ''Story and Lore'' Forum section.

Edited by Kaedusz

Should i delete it and post it somewhere more relevant? I've never posted on the forum before sorry :/

Nah, it's fine. Not like staff goes after misposts around here anyway.

I'm really in the same boat though. I don't like playing male characters because of the voice acting. Took me a while to start Imperial characters as I'm too much of a goodie two shoes.

Nah, it's fine. Not like staff goes after misposts around here anyway.

It's not a mispost. What i am saying is that the audience for this type of discussion is better at the Story and Lore section. + it's a topic worth discussing in detail, which won't happen here because it will get buried.

Edited by Kaedusz

I've played IA, SW and SI story fully and halfish of BH and SW again. I've tried to play each republic class before but have never got past fleet or Coruscant at the most. There's just something about the stories and side quests of republic side that doesn't draw me in.

I like the fact that on Imp side you're going through a story which develops your character and helps their faction but at the same time you can work towards your own gain. E.g. SI: from slave to dark council member, building up your power base and ultimately working to be as powerful as possible. Or IA defending the empire but ultimately you can serve your own self interest by keeping the Codex.

On rep side however the force users, i assume, are selfless and only work to protect others and the republic. Can the force users be played so that they seek personal gain and end as a galactic power?

I know the smuggler can definitely do this but my concern is that because they're not a force user they fit in less story wise for future expansions, i.e KotFE.

Thoughts? Basically how would you sell me to play through the rep stories. I don't mind spoilers, gives me something to look forward to.

You can play a dark jedi. But the game makes you feel bad for doing so. I mean, as a sith if I don't kill someone everyone is surprised and happy. But as jedi you kill someone (who deserves it) everyone is surprised and sad. Makes it hard for me to play a jedi. Cause frankly, there are plenty of people that deserve death in the Republic.

Even the romance options for jedi, while nice, it's made very clear you are doing something wrong. Makes me wonder if the jedi ever get laid?

Edited by cagthehack

That's what i mean. If you try and be anything but a selfless boyscout everyone dislikes you. On the other hand as an imp you can go lightside and people will just be usurprised/confused but they won't chastise you for the most part. The SW even has a dedicated mini storyline for going lightside.

You have more freedom is what i think im trying to say

Edited by GericoV

You can play a dark jedi. But the game makes you feel bad for doing so. I mean, as a sith if I don't kill someone everyone is surprised and happy. But as jedi you kill someone (who deserves it) everyone is surprised and sad. Makes it hard for me to play a jedi. Cause frankly, there are plenty of people that deserve death in the Republic.

Even the romance options for jedi, while nice, it's made very clear you are doing something wrong. Makes me wonder if the jedi ever get laid?

Sure they do. Jedi are the ultimate one-night stand-ers. No romance, no emotions. Doesn't mean no sex. Just means don't get attached. The Jedi romances very definitely get attached, heh. But casual sex as a Jedi? Totally go for it!

Sure they do. Jedi are the ultimate one-night stand-ers. No romance, no emotions. Doesn't mean no sex. Just means don't get attached. The Jedi romances very definitely get attached, heh. But casual sex as a Jedi? Totally go for it!

"There is no emotion, there is piece.... "

I play a dark side jedi (i tried a ds consular but i CANNOT stand the horrible va), i made him a sith pure blood but no one can tell becuse hes in an armord suit, whose been sent to screw over the republic, and the jedi order from the inside and also corrupt kira over time back to the dark side

so i can go around with 0 regrets as i mess up everything and kill everyone

That's what i mean. If you try and be anything but a selfless boyscout everyone dislikes you. On the other hand as an imp you can go lightside and people will just be usurprised/confused but they won't chastise you for the most part. The SW even has a dedicated mini storyline for going lightside.

You have more freedom is what i think im trying to say

I'll bite

Firstly, light side Sith Warrior setup give the best story in this game, so in comparison everything seems pale :)

But IF playing a selfless dedicated for the cause hero isn't f or you, which means you'll want to go DS with rep characters, than everything besides JK seems fine.

DS JK is forced imo -like not probable. This is a heroic class best played Aragorn style. You are THE hero, you save the galaxy etc. If this is not your cup of coffee -don't play this story (although its one of my favorites)

DS Consular feels fine. You're basically (especially in Ch 2 and 3) a scheming politician building their powerbase. You manipulate, you lie, you kill inconvenient obstacles -all in aim to increase your influence and level of power. I very much prefer DS Consular over the LS one.

DS Trooper feels as good. Yes, you are basically a trooper, so you follow orders, but you can do it your own sadistic way. This is kinda realistic setup, when a war veteran is disillusioned by the Republic, by the war -the DS trooper just gets things done. I played my DS fem trooper and her team as kinda Arnlods Predator team of commandos -ruthless, diverse, and efficient.

DS Smuggler, as you notice yourself feels also alright. No need to go into detail here.

So if you want a realistic, not selfless force user go DS consular. Although bear in mind that this is far weaker story overall than LS Sith Warrior you seem to have done

Edited by jstankaroslo

I find the Republic boring and tame compared to the Empire.

I especially dislike the amount of alien speaking NPCs on the Republic side. Hearing the same 5 lines of dialogue 500 times gets old quick.

I also like the other perspective you get on the Empire side. When playing Republic, you pretty much only see a tyrannical Empire who slaughters everything that gets in their way, but on the Imp. side, you get to see that they really aren't that different from the Republic, aside from a few exceptions who show some rather insane tendencies.

I especially like the "For the Empire!" Warrior story, serving the Empire as a whole and not just the Sith or yourself.

I have tried to play Republic, I even have a level 70 Commando as noted in my Sig. but it just feels wrong to play it.

I just can't bring myself to play pub scum anymore. Too much faction pride from my old PvP days.

Though of course I played pubs when I was new. Hated all the stories. Found them boring.

The main thing I like about imp side is the humor. Force lightning scenes are probably among my favorite. Beating the **** out of an annoying noble was gold. Theres just too many good laughs compared to the mostly dull pub side.

Edited by Radzkie

DS Consular feels fine. You're basically (especially in Ch 2 and 3) a scheming politician building their powerbase. You manipulate, you lie, you kill inconvenient obstacles -all in aim to increase your influence and level of power. I very much prefer DS Consular over the LS one.

Consular has always been the weakest story for me, but I've never thought about it like this. You've inspired me to try it ds next. Female - the male VA is so cringe.

Personally...I found a lot of enjoyment playing my pub characters (all of whom were played LS). While I did make a few DS choices along the way, I played them as I'm sure they were ment to be played. They're the "hero's of the galaxy". (Except my smuggler... he's the wisecracking scoundrel who wants to be rich, but occasionally helps others while helping himself ;)) Imho your doing yourself a huge disservice by not playing through the republic stories.

The JK.... the warrior who is destined to save the galaxy and defeat the evil Sith emperor (or does he? ;))

The JC.... savor of the Jedi order from a deadly plague, and the one who uncovers the hidden children of the emperor.

The smuggler... travel the galaxy, flirt with nearly every female npc you meet, and get paid while doing it. All while attempting to become the greatest crime lord in the galaxy.

& the Trooper...(my least favorite class story I'll admit) who uncovers a plot by the Sith empire to create WMD's. It'll take the elite special forces team known as Havoc Squad to save the day.

Not to mention the JK story ties directly into the Revan story from Kotor 1&2 and the Revan novel.

Consular has always been the weakest story for me, but I've never thought about it like this. You've inspired me to try it ds next. Female - the male VA is so cringe.

It's definitely a good one to do at least once. There are a lot of "ends justify the means" type of choices in there, mixed with a few just pure nasty ones ("Ever watched a mind being broken by the Force? It's really quite horrific" - An all too cheerful JC)

I'll bite

Firstly, light side Sith Warrior setup give the best story in this game, so in comparison everything seems pale :)

But IF playing a selfless dedicated for the cause hero isn't f or you, which means you'll want to go DS with rep characters, than everything besides JK seems fine.

DS JK is forced imo -like not probable. This is a heroic class best played Aragorn style. You are THE hero, you save the galaxy etc. If this is not your cup of coffee -don't play this story (although its one of my favorites)

DS Trooper feels as good. Yes, you are basically a trooper, so you follow orders, but you can do it your own sadistic way. This is kinda realistic setup, when a war veteran is disillusioned by the Republic, by the war -the DS trooper just gets things done. I played my DS fem trooper and her team as kinda Arnlods Predator team of commandos -ruthless, diverse, and efficient.

DS Smuggler, as you notice yourself feels also alright. No need to go into detail here.

So if you want a realistic, not selfless force user go DS consular. Although bear in mind that this is far weaker story overall than LS Sith Warrior you seem to have done

While I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of the DS republic classes, I personally found LS Warrior to be as forced as DS Knight.

I've played LS and DS versions of all the stories, and the against-the-grain Force using variants on both sides were the weakest, for me. LS Warrior spends as much time hiding their boyscout-ness as DS Knight does justifying their anger issues.

You can play a dark jedi. But the game makes you feel bad for doing so. I mean, as a sith if I don't kill someone everyone is surprised and happy. But as jedi you kill someone (who deserves it) everyone is surprised and sad.

Because it goes against the Jedi Code. The Consular Story, apart of its massive pacing problems, is the quint essential Jedi story. Jedi Knight is a boring and unoriginal, seen a thousand times in the movies, story line of a Knight that saves the galaxy. The Knight story has the most potential for a Dark Force user, because you still do it.. because its justified.

The Consular however.. that is Jedi Teaching incarnate. Being selfless, fighting for the good, because the Jedi are under scrutiny and everyone mistrusts them, which requires Jedis to be at all time to be "the best, most humble and most selfless of them all"... cause.. everyone is afraid of the Jedi just mindF-ing them whenever they want to.

Don't get me wrong.. the light side consular's story is watching paint dry, but its adhers to the Jedi Codex. You won't find a better representation of what it means to be an ordinary Jedi in video game form. And consequently whenever you depart from the expectation everyone around you has of a Jedi (which is light side consular), you will find people less than happy about it.

If you want to play for your 'own gain' in terms of your character.. play the Smuggler on the light side with some dark side choices.. for a bit more neutral approach. Jedi aren't allowed to have possessions, and the stories do not allow you to leave the order. And the Trooper... you are always going to be a Command for the Republic. In that its much like the Mass Effect series' renegade options. You make the hard decisions, sacrificing people for the greater good, but you are not a bad guy. Just a cold, heartless and ruthless person that believes the end justifies the means.

I think the general issue with the game is that regardless of which side you play on.. most Dark Side choices just make you seem like a D-bag.

Edited by Ecaja

OP kind of illustrates EXACTLY why the empire ultimately loses and the Republic eventually wins. And also why the empire was losing the war so badly prior to KOTFE.

According to what he/she wrote, they are only interested in becoming powerful and serving their own self-interest, while the Republic stories are mostly focused on - wait for it - defeating the enemy. That's why one side wins and the other side loses.

I've played through all the Republic classes and the SI and SW on the imp side. I'm currently working on a BH and IA. The main differences on each side is that at the end of every Republic class story, you deal a devastating blow to the empire by taking out one of their military leaders or the emperor himself. While the empire side, you only worry about making yourself stronger. The force using class stories had their moments, but were very dumb to me because all you ended up doing was killing your master or someone on the council. I would have liked to have seen them taking out pub leaders.

The most fun I had on the imp side was leveling my SI. I played her LS and you get dialogue options that actually poke fun at the empire for basically being insane. At one point an NPC (can't remember who) asks me essentially why I'm nice all the time. My sorc said "Because I prefer sane leadership." That was awesome and kind of foreshadowed why the empire loses. Way too much infighting and betrayal and concern for their own self-interest.

Exactly like the OP.

I think the general issue with the game is that regardless of which side you play on.. most Dark Side choices just make you seem like a D-bag.

Your post summed it up well. The Imp side is just much better written, especially for the Force users, for playing the "opposite" alignment. LS Warrior and Inq feel like KotOR. In fact LS Warrior might be the best heroic Star Wars storyline in any game.

LS JK is ok but nothing special, basically Space Aragorn, except that it probably has the most background for what's going on in the galaxy of any story except Agent. However, DS Jedi or Consular just feels over the top dbag with anger issues, kind of like Space Begbie from Trainspotting.

The truly amazing storyline is, of course, LS or DS Agent. You learn more about the Empire and Republic (and Jedi and Sith) in the Agent story than probably the rest of the storylines combined.

Smuggler is good, but not as good as Agent. It's more comic relief than anything.

First, Jolee Bindo was married, his wife became Sith. Bastila Shan had Satele who had Theron. So yes, Jedi do get laid. It's just frowned on. I play a lot of jedi, some violate the code, some do not.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

First, Jolee Bindo was married, his wife became Sith. Bastila Shan had Satele who had Theron. So yes, Jedi do get laid. It's just frowned on. I play a lot of jedi, some violate the code, some do not.

nit, Bastilla and Satele are 300 years apart with lots of descendants in between.

The Jedi code says nothing about sex, just (indirectly) attachments and passion.

Satele is a good example; she and Jace did the nasty and had Theron, but she remained detached from both, like a good Jedi, which more or less messed Theron up bad.

Edited by stoopicus