250+ Packs in, still no platinum

Deewe

I'll never understand why people would spend so much money on packs that have ridiculous rng. But in a way I guess I should be thanking them. If it weren't for ppl like you being so abundant I wouldn't be able to afford rare gtn items. So uhh thanks...! :D

I THINK it's because it's one of the only legal ways to turn real world $$$ into credits.

I'm not certain if there are too many people around who would spend $100s a month on packs with the sole intention of trying to get X items.

It's worth noting the 2 biggest CM consumers noted in this entire thread do so with credits and those credits came from by playing the market with said CM items in the first place.

Be that as it may and be that I personally have never bought CC ... I'll never truly understand why people take such issue with others that do? Really who cares? Are people actually so utterly delusional they think the CM is the reason for less development in the game?

Look at the level and quality of items that have been coming out this past year ... do you really think that sort of thing takes a lot of time of effort to put together? They are for the most recycled from either within the game or from previous items ( e.g. that new ember dewback vs the charcoal dewback and nearly identical ).

The only other gripe I could think people have is that people supporting the RNG packs stops there being a direct to buy model but I personally enjoy the RNG packs and with RNG and rarity they help keep a tiered pricing structure in place on the GTN that anyone can get a part of with simple luck.

I imagine a person who buys a couple of packs with their free CC each month to find a platinum item would be absolutely stoked to be able to sell that for what they go for where as in direct to buy that probably would never get that opportunity.

*shrug* ... who cares at the end of the day what people spend their money on ... other than midianlord that is, he cares a lot it seems.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why people do "mfw" but dont post an image of their face when. Am I supposed to assume your reaction? Maybe our reactions would differ. I may be picturing your reaction as delight. Meaning you approve.

Reaction .jpg - etc should always be included with a "mfw"

>mfw they dont include a mfw image

http://static6.comicvine.com/uploads/square_medium/11121/111211691/4343056-111.gif

>mfw they don't recognise an invocation of the "mfw i have no face" meme

mfw

>buys ten hypergates

>implies people aren't buying packs because rng

>mfw

Well, he's not wrong, the rng is terrible here, Bioware is so chintzy with the better items, I've stopped buying...if I get stuff its off the gtn, and the stuff is crap.

I just don't get why he continues to buy it. Waste of money. They need to let people get some of these 'precious pixels' they keep taunting us with.

I opened 140 and no platinum. but 250+, damn.

You're just as bad. The saddest part about you gambling addicts is you're not even getting money back if you did win. You lose either way. You're spending real money to purchase a chance at fake virtual items. This isn't so terrible in and of itself (purchasing virtual items), but you're not even getting what you paid for. You're flushing money down the toilet.

Is SWTOR based in the U.S.? Isn't online gambling illegal if it's based in the U.S. This is gambling.

Edited by Dayshadow

Thank you Hypercrate whales. You send a signal to EAware that the only content they need to provide is more cosmetic reskinned cartel pack. Something the accountants can hold up at the end of the year and say a SWTOR player has NO interest in anything other than dressing up and standing on fleet hoping to be whispered 'wow, you look so cool where did you get that'.

You're spending real money to purchase a chance at fake virtual items.

Not trying to single you out. Did everybody jumping down Deewe's throat about being a whale miss this part?

Wanted to see how far it lead me and bought the crates with creds anyway.

Considering the age of the account it doesn't surprise me that he's got enough creds to blow on something like this.

His experiment subsidized 250+ hypercrate purchases. It wasn't one person buying hundreds of crates it was probably 100 folks buying 1-5 to flip for credits. Deewe's experiment subsidized that and that's what makes TOR's Cash Shop brilliant from a business standpoint.

Is SWTOR based in the U.S.? Isn't online gambling illegal if it's based in the U.S. This is gambling.

There's been a lot of ink spilled debating this topic all the way back to baseball cards. It does fit the spirit of the legal definition of gambling but there hasn't been enough motivation to put it to a legal test (trial). But that's changing.

Cash shops in internet enabled computer gaming, particularly mobile gaming, is getting increasingly predatory. Several Asian countries have introduced legislation to clamp down on these abuses. It's only a matter of time before we start seeing similar efforts in the West.

The fact that there's even any possibility of whaling in an MMO that runs off of a subscription model is the biggest issue here.

Content like this should either be acquired through working for it in the game, or just purchased directly from the Cartel Market instead of having to deal with RNG ********.

This isn't a crappy mobile game that exists to siphon funds.....or at least, it shouldn't be.

Not sure if the developers realize this, but all this does is make people want to actually buy credits from those Chinese spammers just so they can get one or two of the platinum items they want off of the GTN for less money out of pocket than one 26 pack of crates.

His experiment subsidized 250+ crates purchases. It wasn't one person buying hundreds of crates it was probably 100 folks buying 1-5 to flip for credits. Deewe's experiment subsidized that and that's what makes TOR's Cash Shop brilliant from a business standpoint.

First it's crates not hypercrates. I really can't imagine how could anyone manage 250 x 26 x 4 (ie 16,000) items :)

Then I went for the easy route, buying hypercrates (with credits) not single crates as it's cost efficient.

Now you'd be surprised of how many people sells them. In fact only a handful. From what I saw I'd say 10 characters max sells them. What is kinda puzzling is when you see the same character selling like 8-12 hypercrates at once and refilling the GTN from time to time.

Edited by Deewe

So RNG really is exciting!

:rak_03:

I think you missed the point of my post. I purchased probably the third hypercrate since I've been playing, and I'm a Founder, with the hopes of getting most of the gold/silver decos and was surprised by the platinum that sells for over 100M on my server. I didn't buy the hypercrate in order to lucksack RNG into a platinum.

The fact that there's even any possibility of whaling in an MMO that runs off of a subscription model is the biggest issue here.

Content like this should either be acquired through working for it in the game, or just purchased directly from the Cartel Market instead of having to deal with RNG ********.

This isn't a crappy mobile game that exists to siphon funds.....or at least, it shouldn't be.

Not sure if the developers realize this, but all this does is make people want to actually buy credits from those Chinese spammers just so they can get one or two of the platinum items they want off of the GTN for less money out of pocket than one 26 pack of crates.

In this game, as in life, some things are rarer than others.

If you want that shiny and don't want to "gamble" with packs, you can always earn the credits to purchase the item via the GTN. Of course, that does require some effort, and it IS far easier for Johnny to complain that BW is not being fair by not handing him what he wants for a pittance.

First it's crates not hypercrates. I really can't imagine how could anyone manage 250 x 26 x 4 (ie 16,000) items :)

Then I went for the easy route, buying hypercrates (with credits) not single crates as it's cost efficient.

Now you'd be surprised of how many people sells them. In fact only a handful. From what I saw I'd say 10 characters max sells them. What is kinda puzzling is when you see the same character selling like 8-12 hypercrates at once and refilling the GTN from time to time.

I've noted the same thing and they always have rather strange names too.

How have you got on with the new pack if you've got any? My rng seems utterly horrible on that one compared to any previous pack I can remember. I've now 6 and managed to only get 14 gold items from them - 14 from 156 or 312 chances. Not a single piece of that emperor whatever armor set ...

Oddly though the 62 chance cubes I got ( well 12 were from previous packs ) seemed to have better than usual drop rates ... got a ton of silver stuff and a stronghold defender rifle ( platinum ) and a white hawkeye which put me up overall but yeah ... wonder if they tweak drop rates or I'm just having bad luck. Seems not all gold items are created equal perhaps?

I opened 1 hypercrate = 26packs.

1 gold item.

4 silver items.

Rest was junk.

I had 18 Chance Cubes (thats nearly 1 per pack).

I had the same set of armor 14 times as a reward.

I'd like to highlight 3 issues and ask why something isnt in place.

1. Can there not be something like a guarenteed 3 gold items and 8 silver items or such? While i realise it is random this would be extremely easy to impliment. These crates are not cheap and if BW wants ppl to keep buying them and support then surely this is a simple fix for both sides?

2. Grand Chance Cubes - Bane of my existance. They take the place of better loot and when i buy a pack I am not buying because i want gear from the old packs. I want the gear currently on show. Surely BW can limit a hypercrate to have only X amount of GCB's?

3. I open crates to try get decorations and got around 5 decor items, all bronze and repeated. I love the decor items. Strongholds is a good part of the game. The decor items make up a huge percentage of the rewards in packs yet they seem to be rare. In the last 10 or so sets that have been out I mostly get repeated armor sets of low end. People will say just buy the items from GTN but this is a catch22. If ppl like myself dont buy the crates and put them up then there isnt many decor to share and therefore the prices are rediculous. I don't think stronghold decorating and enjoying the game should become an astronomical cost for a player. that ruins a good portion of the game used by many people.

Just some thoughts and experiences.

I opened 1 hypercrate = 26packs.

1 gold item.

4 silver items.

Rest was junk.

I had 18 Chance Cubes (thats nearly 1 per pack).

I had the same set of armor 14 times as a reward.

I'd like to highlight 3 issues and ask why something isnt in place.

1. Can there not be something like a guarenteed 3 gold items and 8 silver items or such? While i realise it is random this would be extremely easy to impliment. These crates are not cheap and if BW wants ppl to keep buying them and support then surely this is a simple fix for both sides?

2. Grand Chance Cubes - Bane of my existance. They take the place of better loot and when i buy a pack I am not buying because i want gear from the old packs. I want the gear currently on show. Surely BW can limit a hypercrate to have only X amount of GCB's?

3. I open crates to try get decorations and got around 5 decor items, all bronze and repeated. I love the decor items. Strongholds is a good part of the game. The decor items make up a huge percentage of the rewards in packs yet they seem to be rare. In the last 10 or so sets that have been out I mostly get repeated armor sets of low end. People will say just buy the items from GTN but this is a catch22. If ppl like myself dont buy the crates and put them up then there isnt many decor to share and therefore the prices are rediculous. I don't think stronghold decorating and enjoying the game should become an astronomical cost for a player. that ruins a good portion of the game used by many people.

Just some thoughts and experiences.

They need to bring back cartel certificates and add a vendor that has the best of the new packs and some revolving items from old packs. Plain and simple. Even if they are expensive, that would fix the biggest issues and keep us engaged. This is, afterall, the true financial support for the game. The game is amazing, there is no doubt, but the cartel market hypercrates are brutally unfair to the people that actually want an item from them. Sooner or later, it will only be people buying them to sell them and that should not be a goal BW aims for. That will inevitably forse the credit price down with the cash price remaining the same. Interest will be lost.

Bring back cartel certificates and protect the people spending 40+ at a time for 26 packs when they may all be garbage. For now, I will not buy another. When they reintroduce a bad luck protection for packs, like cartel certificates, I will start again.

The sad thing though, is that it would take an EA board meeting to decide on this. Bioware, if left alone could do such a good job... but EA is attached to it. I expect this to fall through the cracks and like I said, I will sub and play the game but no more crates.

Edited by IstariZen

That's subjective. I personally hate bronze items due to the volume of packs I open. I have nearly 40 midnight racer uppers sitting in my stash for example. I would much prefer 40 different, unique items from the cubes

I find the people usually hating on the cubes are those that only buy a few packs or crates and are after unique items etc. but then why bother buying crates? It's cheaper and easier to just buy those items direct. Use your CC or what not to buy items to sell for credits to get exactly what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Got 44 change cubes out of the last 88 crates I opened, not a single gold item in them and many duplicates.

BTW finally got an Unstable Arbiter's Dualsaber... after 325 packs.

Edited by Deewe

To be fair... opened 52 more crates now on a brand new character and got

• 1 x Unstable peacemaker dualsaber...
  • 2 x Unstable peacemaker saber...

And *ahem* 25 Grand cube chances...

Edited by Deewe

To be fair... opened 52 more crates now on a brand new character and got

• 1 x Unstable peacemaker dualsaber...
  • 2 x Unstable peacemaker saber...

And *ahem* 25 Grand cube chances...

Huh....interesting. Same account, new character I assume?