KOTET opinion and Vette or Torian choices (SPOILERS)

Swingkittie

I find this a bit funny. Everyone seems to think "Character got more writing than I wanted, must be a writer's pet."

Vette likely got more material, because in Vanilla she got more material. Gualt gets more screen time in vanilla than Torian.

While I agree with you about the 'writer's pet' observation, I have to admit that I found it odd that any toon outside of the Warrior had that option to ask specifically about Vette's welfare instead of their own potential LI. It's not like we got to spend a lot of time with her specifically between chapter 14 and Iokath, and she hadn't really done anything significant up to that point either.

My guess is they were cutting corners where they thought they could get away with it, and that's what we were left with.

While I agree with you about the 'writer's pet' observation, I have to admit that I found it odd that any toon outside of the Warrior had that option to ask specifically about Vette's welfare instead of their own potential LI. It's not like we got to spend a lot of time with her specifically between chapter 14 and Iokath, and she hadn't really done anything significant up to that point either.

My guess is they were cutting corners where they thought they could get away with it, and that's what we were left with.

This surprised me to, I would have though that with Kaliyo, Vette, Jorgan and Torian on the bridge when Vaylin got there that she would have singled out a particular one if one of them were our LI and if none were then it defaulted to Vette. For example if we were a Trooper romancing Jorgan maybe Vaylin would have commented on killing him (a nice Cathar for her collection?) and then down below we asked Theron about him.

It surprised me that Vette and Torian out shone Kaliyo and Jorgan in KOTET, it's not as though Vette and Torian didn't get a chapter in KOTFE as well. Perhaps originally they were bringing back other characters but scraped it and defaulted them to Vette and Torian to play the roles instead.

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

It surprised me that Vette and Torian out shone Kaliyo and Jorgan in KOTET, it's not as though Vette and Torian didn't get a chapter in KOTFE as well. Perhaps originally they were bringing back other characters but scraped it and defaulted them to Vette and Torian to play the roles instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I can only imagine how ripped off the agents and troopers feel about having next to no screen time, let alone playtime, with them as the active companion. I know that may seem like a small issue to some, but small things have a tendency to add up. It honestly just reinforces the idea to me that in comparison to last years part of the expansion, Fallen Empire was a bit of a rush job in terms pacing.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I can only imagine how ripped off the agents and troopers feel about having next to no screen time, let alone playtime, with them as the active companion. I know that may seem like a small issue to some, but small things have a tendency to add up. It honestly just reinforces the idea to me that in comparison to last years part of the expansion, Fallen Empire was a bit of a rush job in terms pacing.

But every time a companion is given the option of being killed off they cut their dialogue in future content.

If you can kill a companion they don't bother writing future content for that comp.

But every time a companion is given the option of being killed off they cut their dialogue in future content.

If you can kill a companion they don't bother writing future content for that comp.

I'm thinking they killed companions off, because they want to be done with old companions, and start bringing in new companions. Returning old companions will likely be used to give us kill options.

Going by that sort of logic, every character in Mass Effect 1 and 2 that could be potentially bumped off in some form or fashion shouldn't have had any content in 3. But they did, because there's also the chance for them to still be alive, just like there is for Jorgan and Kaliyo.

Just because a companion can be killed off, doesn't automatically mean they will be killed off (not all of us play like dark side lunatics that want to murder everyone for the smallest perceived transgression). For those with a surviving Kalyio and/or Jorgan, especially if they were romanced by players of the relevant classes, it would have been nice to have them involved somewhere in the story as more than just irrelevant background characters that anyone from the ridiculously large stable of collect-and-forget companions we've acquired over KOTFE could have filled.

This is probably the most horribly excruciating choice in the entire game to me. I'm a big fan of both characters, and would probably save either of them over any other member of the current cast. It was an easy choice with my Sith Warrior (or anyone who has a reason to like one more), but It's particularly awful with my Jedi characters who don't have a specifically greater attachment to one or the other.

Even when I figured that maybe I'll save one with my Consular and another with my Knight I am having a hard time actually pulling the trigger, so to speak. I figured my Knight bonded more with Torian, but when the moment came, ever fiber of my being just screamed SAVE... VEEEETTTE!

And so I decided to play my Consular instead, and suddenly I have a hard time condemning Torian either. Vette's probably my favorite member of the Kotfe/Kotet characters, so I'd prefer to save her. But then I feel like Torian needs to have at least one rescue. I just can't seem to figure out how and when.

Edited by OldVengeance

The game wants me to care about Vette so bad it's sometimes pathetic. Meet up with Theron on Iokath: "Hey Commander, we're in arse knows where with no idea how we got here, surrounded by murderous droids and Vaylin's troops, not to mention Vaylin herself is somewhere here...." -- "That's not important Theron, better tell me IS VETTE ALRIGHT?!!!!!"

This made me laugh. Yes the first time I went through kotet I was on my warrior and I assumed I was getting those options because Vette is my pal. Second time I went through it on my sorcerer and was still getting those options I was like o_o I decided right at that moment that my inq would find Vette irritating and chose Torian instead.

It's one thing for my warrior to protect Vette from all of life's little problems but quite another to expect my sorcerer to do it. :rolleyes:

ridiculously large stable of collect-and-forget companions

I can't speak for anyone else, but my sw uses Quinn and no one else, my inq uses Talos and no one else, my agent uses Vector and no one else, trooper uses Jorgan, etc. At least when I'm given the choice, because those days of sharing my character's adventures with their favorite people are over..

Edited by grania

I think that BW should work on getting in the quest story how our choices and Experience of completed content, can add more choices to alter the outcome of the story specially now that you can reply it...

A companion dying with no way of interfering even if I am supposed so destined or strong, my character being toss, stab, or rescue (empowered) constantly from different sources to make it. Even being force push knock them down...not even a veteran character, who has being force push countless times can land on his feet or do a back flip to counter in those cutscenes? Come on BW, are you serious? :rolleyes:

My main is LS Sith Inquisitor... I can't even imagine how DS Force players must have felt when they saw all the power they gain or absorb in its previous quest stories, amounted to nothing... I get the enemies were strong but dose past experiences or gain powers amount to nothing? :confused:

Its my hope that with the introduction of replaying story content... BW add and refines how completing previous content can alter if even for a bit how a story can turn out or even better if one could alter completely the result taking account how much your character has done in the past stories. If they don't do this whats the point of replaying? A big part of players play this because of how you tell stories and let us chose...but if in the next chapter it amounts to nothing whats the point? :(

OH, BTW I chose to sacrifice Vette because I knew it would hurt me more and the story would have a greater impact on my LS character... BUT not before trying to research if I could save them all. How disappointed I was that I could not... and my past powers or experience amounted to nothing, again and again. :jawa_frown:

Edited by Zehal

Without Vette, you never would have gotten off of Iokath. She could sneak in and out of just about anywhere. In the Sith Warrior story line, you never would have gotten into the tomb to retrieve the first lightsaber. Her ingenuity and cleverness is invaluable.

Torian is a soldier. That's it. He became liason to the Alliance at the permission of Mandalore the Avenger but after Shae joins the Alliance herself Torian is not necessary. Literally just another cannon fodder Mando.

I only saved Torian on my Merc that married him.

There is no real argument that Torian is worth more than Vette.

And yes, I do realize my forum signature is a bit ironic. LMAO!

Torian is the better long-term choice. Shae and her Mandalorians are not under the Outlanders thumb. So, it would be politically advantageous to have the man she appointed as ambassador remain alive in the long run in your inner circle. Edited by cool-dude

Going by that sort of logic, every character in Mass Effect 1 and 2 that could be potentially bumped off in some form or fashion shouldn't have had any content in 3. But they did, because there's also the chance for them to still be alive, just like there is for Jorgan and Kaliyo.

Just because a companion can be killed off, doesn't automatically mean they will be killed off (not all of us play like dark side lunatics that want to murder everyone for the smallest perceived transgression). For those with a surviving Kalyio and/or Jorgan, especially if they were romanced by players of the relevant classes, it would have been nice to have them involved somewhere in the story as more than just irrelevant background characters that anyone from the ridiculously large stable of collect-and-forget companions we've acquired over KOTFE could have filled.

Difference between Mass Effect and TOR though.

Without Vette, you never would have gotten off of Iokath. She could sneak in and out of just about anywhere. In the Sith Warrior story line, you never would have gotten into the tomb to retrieve the first lightsaber. Her ingenuity and cleverness is invaluable.

Torian is a soldier. That's it. He became liason to the Alliance at the permission of Mandalore the Avenger but after Shae joins the Alliance herself Torian is not necessary. Literally just another cannon fodder Mando.

I only saved Torian on my Merc that married him.

There is no real argument that Torian is worth more than Vette.

And yes, I do realize my forum signature is a bit ironic. LMAO!

You are going under the assumption everyone gets Shae. There are people that do not have Shae (since she was a sub reward, and you will find a ton of posts asking how they can get Shae since they miss the cut-off date) so those without Shae, Torian is the only liason to the Mandalorians.

Edited by casirabit

I would also add that them killing off a companions means they aren't going to do much with that companion anymore whether you killed them or not.

Have all the returned love interests been killable so far? I just woke up so I might be wrong but it seems like it to me. That's not a very good sign..

I saved Vette because twi'lek arm candy is more important to my every-day gameplay than another of the numerous human soldier-type companions already in-game. That being said, if the storyline says save one or the other, it's pretty clear you're choosing which will die (though, I expected the death to occur during the actual war, not in some shoe-horned in cutscene, but I digress).

My real issue with this particular chapter is the way Vaylin herself is handled. All through KotFE and KotET, many people, myself included wanted to gain Vaylin as a companion/queen as you attained the eternal throne. It would've made sense lore-wise as it could've been a political marriage as opposed to randomly having the PC, the absolute enemy of Zakuul, all of a sudden being proclaimed Emperor and no one bats an eye (*** kinda ending is that?!). No, instead, what happens is that Vaylin dies, period. Senya, who'd moved heaven and earth up to this point to save her children all of a sudden decides Vaylin isn't worth the effort she put into saving Arcann and proclaims, "she's gotta die!" despite the fact that Vaylin's story is far more justifiable as being twisted by Valkorian that Arcann's story could ever hope to be. Yet, BW in the infinite wisdom (that's sarcasm btw) decided to kill off the far more interesting character in favor of the character you literally spent a year trying to defeat during the last expansion.

Bad form, BW, and stupid IMO.... anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

Vaylin is an utterly insane force user obsessed with murdering you, everyone you care about, and even just random people in general. Given what she did to Zakuul, the Outlander recruiting or marrying her would make less sense because it would make the people hate them even more.

Senya didn't just "decide she wasn't worth the effort, she realized she could never reach her. Arcann was the one who showed more depth back in KotFE, and he was the only one that showed Senya any concrete sign of being redeemable up to that point.

Vaylin was also going all "power overwhelming/super saiyan", by the end there. I'm sure them implication was supposed to be that if the Outlander hadn't killed her then, Vaylin would have destroyed them all after a few moments.

Arcann blew up some planets in a war with the Alliance. It's a lot of deaths for sure, but his deaths were not like Vaylin, who was not only willing to do what Arcann did, but she'd kill just for giggles.

She killed guards for not getting the job done, then another just because she didn't like the number. :p

Vaylin couldn't be saved, because Vaylin didn't want to be saved. What her father did to her was so horrific, she was never going to be sane again. Not to mention, we see she wasn't exactly sane when she was a child, lashing out and willing to kill just because she could, when she was a child.

I saved Vette because twi'lek arm candy is more important to my every-day gameplay than another of the numerous human soldier-type companions already in-game. That being said, if the storyline says save one or the other, it's pretty clear you're choosing which will die (though, I expected the death to occur during the actual war, not in some shoe-horned in cutscene, but I digress).

My real issue with this particular chapter is the way Vaylin herself is handled. All through KotFE and KotET, many people, myself included wanted to gain Vaylin as a companion/queen as you attained the eternal throne. It would've made sense lore-wise as it could've been a political marriage as opposed to randomly having the PC, the absolute enemy of Zakuul, all of a sudden being proclaimed Emperor and no one bats an eye (*** kinda ending is that?!). No, instead, what happens is that Vaylin dies, period. Senya, who'd moved heaven and earth up to this point to save her children all of a sudden decides Vaylin isn't worth the effort she put into saving Arcann and proclaims, "she's gotta die!" despite the fact that Vaylin's story is far more justifiable as being twisted by Valkorian that Arcann's story could ever hope to be. Yet, BW in the infinite wisdom (that's sarcasm btw) decided to kill off the far more interesting character in favor of the character you literally spent a year trying to defeat during the last expansion.

Bad form, BW, and stupid IMO.... anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

How would they save Vaylin though? Senya was knocked out during the fight, unlike with Archann, and she would have destroyed the entire base if she wasn't stopped.

If you get Vaylin, I want Archann and his sexy mask. He wants the throne, he can have the throne alongside my sith. :p

Edited by BattlebloodMage

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing but a heavy handed axxhole move by the devs.

My choice my axx if it was my choice why was I not allowed to choose who went where...

Why was it a choice between honorable 2 kids who are dark side companions, why was not one a light side companion...

How many other companions do I have at this point that these 2 were force chosen for me....

Just some dev with a bad attitude who wanted to be edgy and force you to make some dickish choice..

Think I am going to speak with my money after 5 years and cancel my sub.:mad:

There was a choice?

I will save Vette every time.

She was the first companion I ever got (back in beta warrior was the first class I played)

My first companion romance

My first to 10k affection (when that was a thing)

She went on every mission with me unless I was forced to use someone else because story.

She is hands down my favorite companion, Torian is just some merc to me...nothing impressive just a bland "Im a Mandalorian, my clan is disliked, respect, honor blah blah blah.."

Nothing but a heavy handed axxhole move by the devs.

My choice my axx if it was my choice why was I not allowed to choose who went where...

Why was it a choice between honorable 2 kids who are dark side companions, why was not one a light side companion...

How many other companions do I have at this point that these 2 were force chosen for me....

Just some dev with a bad attitude who wanted to be edgy and force you to make some dickish choice..

Think I am going to speak with my money after 5 years and cancel my sub.:mad:

Torian is neutral leaning dark and Vette is a light side companion. Where did you get the idea they are both dark? Unless you mean imperial companions, to which I say imperial =/= dark.

Torian is neutral leaning dark and Vette is a light side companion. Where did you get the idea they are both dark? Unless you mean imperial companions, to which I say imperial =/= dark.

Vette has her dark moments. One of her lines is kill them all, when you get into Rishi slaver area. :)