Warzone Commendation Grants in 4.7.3

EricMusco

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not about the Ranked Rewards, this is about gear that is currently available for Warzone Comms - with Warzone Comms going away, they were originally going to instead have that gear that used to only require Warzone Comms now require Ranked Season Tokens instead (so what used to be available for just doing Regular PVP would suddenly require Ranked PVP instead to get).

They listened to feedback in this thread and now that Warzone Comm gear is going to require a Valor Rank + Credits instead in 5.0.

This quote from Eric makes it sound like he's talking about Ranked rewards:

"Instead of requiring prior Season Ranked Tokens in 5.0, each of the cosmetic items will now cost credits and have a minimum Valor requirement."

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you a heads up on a change included with Game Update 4.7.3 on Tuesday. As we discussed last week, we are making changes to how gearing works in our upcoming expansion, Knights of the Eternal Throne. In support of our new Galactic Command system, we will be removing Warzone Commendations from the game on November 29th when Knights of the Eternal Throne Early Access opens. As a result, any new Warzone Commendation Grants will become bound and will Bind on Pickup starting on Tuesday, with Game Update 4.7.3.

If you have a desire to move Warzone Commendations around or have a stockpile of Warzone Commendation Grants, please ensure they are on the character you want them to be on before Tuesday’s maintenance. Please note, Customer Service will not be able to assist with any Warzone Commendation grants after Tuesday.

It is our intent that Warzone Commendations will convert to credits (as will Crystals) with Eternal Throne’s launch. We are still working out the conversion rates and I am hopeful that I will have that information for you later next week. To reiterate, in preparation for Knights of the Eternal Throne all Warzone Commendation Grants will become bind on pickup as of Game Update 4.7.3 on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Shame on the lot of you. Less than 24 hour notice? What good are credits? You can't buy anything useful with them. Everything useful in this game is gated behind comms and tokens. Seriously, what are ya'll smoking?

I've only let my sub lapse for 1 week since early access of 1.0. I honestly don't even PvP that much anymore although my main 8 were all V60 before 2.0. I'm done. This ship is sinking (you have 13 empty servers) and you guys are arguing over the bar tab.

Credits? For WZ comms? Let me let you in on a little secret, credits are worthless in this game. You can't get rid of the spammers and it is still obviously worth their time to sell credits for $0.50 per million. I am breaking my 6-month subscription right now.

Edited by ekwalizer

This quote from Eric makes it sound like he's talking about Ranked rewards:

"Instead of requiring prior Season Ranked Tokens in 5.0, each of the cosmetic items will now cost credits and have a minimum Valor requirement."

He's not. He's talking about cosmetic items that currently cost Warzone Commendations. That post was made as an update for this one:

This is the plan currently... All of the purely cosmetic items you can buy for PvP Commendations will still be in the game but purchasable for the prior Ranked Season tokens. We chose to do this over credits so that these cosmetic items would remain for PvPers. The Warzone consumables will now be purchasable for credits. The PvP tier gear and their vendors will be removed from the game with 5.0.

Hope that answers your question!

-eric

Which clearly states that it's in reference to cosmetic items that can be bought for PvP Commendations (Warzone Commendations). That applies to the weapon shells, decorations, and some mounts/crystals on the PVP vendors. They're all currently purchasable for regular Warzone Commendations and will be changed to credits + Valor requirement with 5.0. The only reason Ranked was in the discussion at all is because their original plan, as shown above, was to make it Ranked Tokens instead and the reason for the negative feedback that got should be fairly evident now.

He's not. He's talking about cosmetic items that currently cost Warzone Commendations. That post was made as an update for this one:

Which clearly states that it's in reference to cosmetic items that can be bought for PvP Commendations (Warzone Commendations). That applies to the weapon shells, decorations, and some mounts/crystals on the PVP vendors. They're all currently purchasable for regular Warzone Commendations and will be changed to credits + Valor requirement with 5.0. The only reason Ranked was in the discussion at all is because their original plan, as shown above, was to make it Ranked Tokens instead and the reason for the negative feedback that got should be fairly evident now.

Which shouldn't have happened in the first place imo. I don't get any of the cosmetic stuff from that vendor so this doesn't affect me but they decided to make something that was accessible to all pvpers and suddenly now only people who did ranked (of which the populations is TREMENDOUSLY lower) would only be able to get them? When not all pvpers do ranked? On top of that they are making this change within 24 hours of the freaking announcement. Why is it that the consumers instead of the people who are in charge of the game are the only ones who look at something like this and say "Hey! This might be a dumb idea!" I get that they need feedback but for decisions changes like this that are borderline common sense on what they SHOULDN'T do it can be a bit ridiculous.

Edited by Darth_Xyphos

I really don't know - I think it must be related to wanting to encourage the casual players to sub for longer . . .

To me its just another one in a long series of actions that suggest they don't really care or listen to their playerbase (unless its on some minor point about what valor rank is needed to buy the pvp weapons that have been in the game for years - why do people give a flying **** about that?).

• Make a major change to commendations, which for the life of me I can't see the logic to - if you're converting them because they are being removed from the game fine, but why make them bound to a single character?
  • Giving credits in exchange for wz commendations, which will probably work out at a paltry exchange rate for the time sink compared to say, running heroics at max level in a full group.
  • Linked to first point - if they are being converted into credits, given that credits can be traded between toons (for subs), why make the commendations bound to a single character? Fail to see the logic.

Topped off by giving less than 24 hours notice of said change to the playerbase. Nice.

The 24 hour notice thing is really what has me boggling. That, and the way the crystals and comm conversion to credits was gently slipped in to this bombshell. Bioware's communication feels sleazy and dishonest. I don't blame Eric at all-- this garbage comes from the top. And the information is nebulous, so we can't figure out how to prepare.

I'm sure the crystal-to-credit ratio is going to be terrible, just like the comms-to-credits will be. If you're maxed out on either, you're not going to receive enough credits to buy first tier crafted endgame gear on the GTN. From what I understand, it only takes a couple thousand WZ comms to fully kit yourself out at 65. Same with the crystals you receive through the PVE game + Forged Alliances. You're behind in either scenario when 5.0 hits.

I think it's interesting you mention that casual players are the audience. I'm a solo casual player, and this makes gearing worse. I have a prayer of getting a few 216 pieces and a couple of 220s through normal gameplay on at least one alt, and I have all my lvl 65 toons in 208s including mainhand weapon. How long is it going to take to get a full set of first tier armor for one toon? How much grinding for one command level? Much less 14 + the inevitable duplicates?

It doesn't make me want to keep subscribing. Completely the opposite, in fact. I hate gambling. I hate grinding away at content I find boring, just like PVPers and raiders do. Except I don't have social and emotional ties to this game that a lot of vets do, so for me to leave is a quick decision. I'll probably just pull the plug when I get my first or second duplicate crate. :p That's assuming I can actually reach a command level in the first place without getting bored to tears.

5.0 is a bad idea all around for everyone.

Edited by JainiaDral

Shame on the lot of you. Less than 24 hour notice? What good are credits? You can't buy anything useful with them. Everything useful in this game is gated behind comms and tokens. Seriously, what are ya'll smoking?

I've only let my sub lapse for 1 week since early access of 1.0. I honestly don't even PvP that much anymore although my main 8 were all V60 before 2.0. I'm done. This ship is sinking (you have 13 empty servers) and you guys are arguing over the bar tab.

Credits? For WZ comms? Let me let you in on a little secret, credits are worthless in this game. You can't get rid of the spammers and it is still obviously worth their time to sell credits for $0.50 per million. I am breaking my 6-month subscription right now.

^ Yep, this... all this...

WZ comms were earned playing the game, the only thing that is a fair trade is CXP, nothing else... What is the point of playing 1 more warzone before 5.0? You get nothing for it, other than some credits...

The same warzone played in December advanced Command XP, the same one played today, worthless...

But I'm not shocked, the dev team (all 3 of them) are clearly out to lunch...

The 24 hour notice thing is really what has me boggling. That, and the way the crystals and comm conversion to credits was gently slipped in to this bombshell. Bioware's communication feels sleazy and dishonest. I don't blame Eric at all-- this garbage comes from the top.

I have my own issues with Eric, but I agree, this one comes from whoever is the head manager of SWTOR, it couldn't come from anywhere else.

It is gross incompetence of the highest order...

It doesn't make me want to keep subscribing. Completely the opposite, in fact. I hate gambling. I hate grinding away at content I find boring, just like PVPers and raiders do. Except I don't have social and emotional ties to this game that a lot of vets do, so for me to leave is a quick decision. I'll probably just pull the plug when I get my first or second duplicate crate. :p That's assuming I can actually reach a command level in the first place without getting bored to tears.

5.0 is a bad idea all around for everyone.

I used to maintain 3 subs for this game and spend $50-$100 a month on CC, I'm down to 1 sub and haven't bought a single CC since the CSM debacle...

This is just helping push me out the door...

Alright, so after talking with the team about the feedback in this thread, we are going to make a change. Instead of requiring prior Season Ranked Tokens in 5.0, each of the cosmetic items will now cost credits and have a minimum Valor requirement.

That's nice, but I think more than one of us noticed this diverted the topic from the real issue...

WZ comms and crystals need to convert to Command XP, perhaps to boxes that award Command XP once you hit level 70.

Those comms and crystals were earned via game play, play that no longer counts for anything. Then you expect people to do it again in a month.

Where you REALLY miss it is this... You have removed any point to playing the game for the next month, nothing counts. The gear will be obsolete, the comms will be worthless, etc...

We don't need credits, those are easy to get and they don't buy Command XP or Boxes with end game gear like the current comms and crystals do.

The only reasonable solution is Command XP boxes in exchage (or straight Command XP if you can award it somehow before level 70.)

Hey folks!

Alright, so after talking with the team about the feedback in this thread, we are going to make a change. Instead of requiring prior Season Ranked Tokens in 5.0, each of the cosmetic items will now cost credits and have a minimum Valor requirement.

Now, I know the next question will be, what is the minimum requirement? We would actually like to hear from all of you on that front. What do you see as the minimum requirement to have access to the the various PvP cosmetic items? Which should have higher or lower Valor requirements, etc?

Thanks you again for your feedback, as always, keep it coming!

-eric

First of all, thank you Eric, for being willing to listen to people on this.

While I personally don't really see the reason why the weapons should have a valor requirement in order to be bought (frankly, I would LOVE to see those orange Battlemaster shells that are still in circulation be stripped of valor requirements), I think that a valor requirement for these weapons should be reasonably low. As some other posters here pointed out, these weapons should not be too hard to be worked for, given they only cost 900 warzone commendations and don't come with any stats on them. People should not be penalized for wanting these weapons that have been available since 1.0 by hiding them behind a steep valor requirement. These weapons should be an incentive to give PVP a shot, but it shouldn't be required to play dozens, if not hundreds of warzones on one character just to get access to a weapon from the 1.0 days, especially if you are playing on some of the lower populated servers were PVP queue pops are not as frequent.

Something between valor 5 and 10 sounds good to me, no higher than 20 at most.

While we are at this subject, if you are willing to listen, could you ask the devs if they could make the single-blade lightsabers and blaster pistols able to be used as an offhand? For whatever reason all weapons sold by these vendors can only be used as mainhand weapons. Likewise, it would be great if these weapons could also get a tuning slot.

As far as PVP decorations go, I will refer to other people's opinions on the matter. I'm interested in keeping those old weapons in circulation, not the decorations.

........five hours left to server reset and legacy grant is still bound to all 20+ character for two hours and it only tick down if I log on to that character for exactly two hours....

Sure.... 5.0 is in a month. But do you HAVE to do this bound-by-pickup **** today?

Put them in the mail and send them to another character. That removes the timer.

Ok so wz commendations will become credits... which rate?

When I farm to make credits, I easily do 1 million per hour.

On all my toons, I think I collected around 300k wz commendations. How many times did that took?

Let's say I get 110 wz commendations / bg (with a win/loss ratio of 50% and the dailies/weeklies) so near 2730 wz to get 300k wz commendations. Wz duration, 8 minutes on average (quicker for arena but some wz last longer) , nearly 364 h .

At 1 million per hour, 364 millions credits. Ok Bioware?

I mean, your post makes sense in today's world. But in the world of 5.0 there are no commendations or crystals, only credits. Credits will be far more useful than they are today, so I don't really see the conversion to credits as a bad thing. I understand people's desire to exchange them for cxp, but that breaks the system if BW allows players who stocked up on comms/crystals to gear faster. Now that PvP doesn't have its own gear, allowing everyone to buy the best set immediately at launch is a bigger problem than previous expansions where the PvP gear was barely better than the best PvE gear (204/208 compared to 192/198 in SoR PvE).

I mean, your post makes sense in today's world. But in the world of 5.0 there are no commendations or crystals, only credits. Credits will be far more useful than they are today, so I don't really see the conversion to credits as a bad thing. I understand people's desire to exchange them for cxp, but that breaks the system if BW allows players who stocked up on comms/crystals to gear faster. Now that PvP doesn't have its own gear, allowing everyone to buy the best set immediately at launch is a bigger problem than previous expansions where the PvP gear was barely better than the best PvE gear (204/208 compared to 192/198 in SoR PvE).

I'm not convinced that credits will be "far more useful" yet. I guess we'll see. Most of what I've heard about was all for sub-max-level characters along with some cosmetic stuff I already bought with common crystals.

As for wz comms and buying gear right out of the gate after an expac, I agree that is silly. But we've essentially been able to do that with every expac since Makeb and it's very annoying to find out basically at the 11th hour that saving wz comms was a waste of time for this particular xpac.

Ok firstly you should have been giving us far greater heads up of such a change 24 hours before is not good enough.

I am glad you have listened to us with the requirements for the pvp weapons vendor, now as for how much valor, considering all weapons are 900 comms currently and that by the time you get that many comms you are about rank 5 valor I think around that mark is reasonable requirement level.

While you are making changes to the pvp vendor I would ask that you allow all weapons to be equipped on main and offhand and would also ask you to consider adding in additional weapon models to the vendor since you removed so many when you got rid of other vendors in 4.0.

The conversion rate is not going to be enough for you to afford to buy end game gear. A single piece of end game gear (ie a mod, enhancement, barrel, etc) goes for about 2 million on Jedi Covenant. So that would be at least 4-6 million credits per worn item which currently equates to anywhere from 80-140 comms. Do you really think they are going to grant that kind of credit payout? They would break the economy doing that.

Furthermore, end game gear will come from the CXP system, not crafters or by vendors for credits. So ... I stand by my assessment that credits in this game are now and will be in 5.0 worthless.

The conversion rate is not going to be enough for you to afford to buy end game gear. A single piece of end game gear (ie a mod, enhancement, barrel, etc) goes for about 2 million on Jedi Covenant. So that would be at least 4-6 million credits per worn item which currently equates to anywhere from 80-140 comms. Do you really think they are going to grant that kind of credit payout? They would break the economy doing that.

Furthermore, end game gear will come from the CXP system, not crafters or by vendors for credits. So ... I stand by my assessment that credits in this game are now and will be in 5.0 worthless.

That's why I specifically mentioned the removal of PvP players having access to the best gear at expansion launch as a good thing. If PvP gear was still specific to PvP, then it's no big deal, but since gear will be shared across all areas of the game it can no longer be so easy to obtain.

I'm not saying credits are a perfect solution, but it is really one of two possible solutions. The alternative is giving cxp for your commendations which is even more broken than flooding the market with credits. Not to mention it would be an enormous disparity between PvPers with hundreds of thousands of comendations compared to players who have never participated before.

That's why I specifically mentioned the removal of PvP players having access to the best gear at expansion launch as a good thing. If PvP gear was still specific to PvP, then it's no big deal, but since gear will be shared across all areas of the game it can no longer be so easy to obtain.

I'm not saying credits are a perfect solution, but it is really one of two possible solutions. The alternative is giving cxp for your commendations which is even more broken than flooding the market with credits. Not to mention it would be an enormous disparity between PvPers with hundreds of thousands of comendations compared to players who have never participated before.

Yeah but there is precedent for converting old comms to new comms. They have done it twice before. Tionese, Columi, Rakata became Basic, Elite, Ultimate and those in turn became the current data crystals. While the change was in name only for 4.0, there was in fact a conversion for the change from 2.x to 3.0.

I don't recall that breaking anything.

Post Script: I get what you are saying. I am not trying to be confrontational with you, but there is no argument that you or Bioware can make that will justify this to me. That is why I cancelled my subscription yesterday.

Edited by ekwalizer

I don't know about that honestly Jade... I really don't like grinding for the sake of grinding just to make artificial time spent higher. If were grinding, it should be when doing new content or a new aspect of the game, not rebuilding up from doing the same thing over and over like we have previously with operations through the 4.0, and apparently, 5.0 cycle.