Gearing Changes in Eternal Throne

EricMusco

t's TOO much RNG to be an MMO. Like seriously for those of you who enjoy this change you should just play iOS/Google play games for the same cheap thrill of opening loot crates tied to xp farming cause that's "FREE" currently and does not require a monthly sub. This is the worst thing they could ever do guilds who don't need, nor care about the rest of the peons around them as we can network among ourselves, raid for the BIS gear, and achieve feats/rewards the normal player couldn't. This homogenized approach to bring so call balance waters down the entire process of what makes an MMO.

It's OK if everyone doesn't have the best pve gear, it's OK if everyone doesn't have the best pvp gear, it's OK if you didn't get that special mount no longer available, it's OK if you never even killed Revan. You should always be gated to content you didn't play. This is gonna hurt guilds, slow down progression to a crawl, and create a false sense of accomplishment since those with a high command rank will have better gear vs those who earned it playing a *********** MMO. WOW did a lot of casual implementation to create a second generation community among old timers, however the very best gear was still gated to those who were willing to work for it. I'm sorry if I sound like a QQ'ing elitist but these changes hurt entire guilds of friends and families while giving all the incentive to the solo player.

BW not only jumped the shark, they **** the bed as well. I have no more reason to play this game anymore. It's no longer SWTOR it's became a Recycled Space Diablo Like Looter with 0 intuitive endgame, 0 ambition, and with limited effort they can now just increase the level 5 more times and reset all content again, and again which sounds a lot like Diablo. Which I love don't get me wrong, however Diablo doesn't require a sub to play, and it's gearing resets every season. This game is horrible, and if you have a voice I strongly let BW hear it with your wallet and unsub or fill up that forum till they change this factor. If you kill a boss you should get gear, if you raid the hardest content then you should have the best gear. If you play ranked pvp, then you should have the best rewards, that's why people play MMO's.

Edited by ChrisCap

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are assuming that aforementioned gear will be sold at 350k or bellow. given current credit inflation? i highly HIGHLY doubt that this will be the case.

They can craft their own, or trade, or ask a guild member or subscriber friend to buy it for them. There are multiple ways around this.

They can craft their own, or trade, or ask a guild member or subscriber friend to buy it for them. There are multiple ways around this.

craft their own assuming that patterns are not also stuck in boxes. or materials for those patterns. there are couple of very crappy and unfun ways of kinda getting around it, but for a solo player who queues for random content right now? they are basically SoL if they are preferred. cue - even longer queues.

Discourages occasional Ops Raiders: I raid once a week. Half the team are occasional players who only show up once or twice a week. We are able to rapidly gear these people up by carrying them through Ops and giving them the majority of the gear. As this will now be impossible, you’re throwing these people (subscribers) away as well. They are good players and excellent raiders, but they don’t have the interest level to grind crap they’ve seen 10,000 times just to gear up for ops.

This is an interesting point. I have attended countless gearing runs for a new raid team member to max out the performance for nightmares for an example. This combined with class based random drops instead of discipline and we have a situation. :cool:

I don't totally hate the new system, but they need to remove the rng from it. As someone posted somewhere, way back in 1. whatever they had rng based gear drops and then the original BW team got rid of it because it didn't work.

I feel if they keep the RNG factor in place, it will kill this game.

Eric:

Will the gear in 5.0 be added to collections?

Will CXP be per character or account wide?

How may CXP points will be needed to increase Command level and will that amount needed increase exponentially like Class Leveling or is it a static amount?

On average how may CXP points will be gained ( you've said that harder content will award more but what will that ratio be. And will it take forever to gain levels)?

Will gear ALWAYS drop from a Command Crate or will it drop garbage like the current Grand Chance Cubes do now?

Will the content control the quality of the gear drops or will your Command level determine that?

Thus will that mean that at a lower Command level will that gear need to be replaced as Command level goes up or is it all comparable to higher Command level gear?

I have heard that with x2s the entire planet worth of x2s must be completed to get CXP. Is this TRUE?

Will the game look at your current gear and drop gear that will improve your set or at least be a part of that set or will it just be random pieces that may or may not be usable with your current set?

You said the gear will all be mod-able. Will the gear be populated with the appropriate mods for that set like the current system is now or will the slots be empty?

lmao nubs getting top gear. never thought i'd see the day where a player that can't survive 4 seconds in combat without a rank 50 companion could potentially be better geared than i am at some point down the line.

:rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02:

Game too hard and children are too self entitled...

Eric:

Will the gear in 5.0 be added to collections?

Will CXP be per character or account wide?

How may CXP points will be needed to increase Command level and will that amount needed increase exponentially like Class Leveling or is it a static amount?

On average how may CXP points will be gained ( you've said that harder content will award more but what will that ratio be. And will it take forever to gain levels)?

Will gear ALWAYS drop from a Command Crate or will it drop garbage like the current Grand Chance Cubes do now?

Will the content control the quality of the gear drops or will your Command level determine that?

Thus will that mean that at a lower Command level will that gear need to be replaced as Command level goes up or is it all comparable to higher Command level gear?

I have heard that with x2s the entire planet worth of x2s must be completed to get CXP. Is this TRUE?

Will the game look at your current gear and drop gear that will improve your set or at least be a part of that set or will it just be random pieces that may or may not be usable with your current set?

You said the gear will all be mod-able. Will the gear be populated with the appropriate mods for that set like the current system is now or will the slots be empty?

CXP is per character. But it should be legacy. The whole thing is detrimental to alts.

Edited by Icykill_

Figured as much but it does not hurt to ask him.

I'm surprised more people aren't making a fuss about this in a seperate thread. Lots of us have more than 6 alts... if the CXP was legacy or the NRG gear was bind to legacy.. then we would actually be able to use more that 2-3 characters... I've got 35, so I'm basically stuffed... I'll probably never use any again... I'm guessing Bio won't give me a refund on all the Alt slots I paid to open.

Someone did create a 5.0 Alt gearing thread, but it's in the pvp section.. so it will never get seen by Bio or 99% of the forum regulars unless they pvp.

I'm surprised more people aren't making a fuss about this in a seperate thread. Lots of us have more than 6 alts... if the CXP was legacy or the NRG gear was bind to legacy.. then we would actually be able to use more that 2-3 characters... I've got 35, so I'm basically stuffed... I'll probably never use any again... I'm guessing Bio won't give me a refund on all the Alt slots I paid to open.

Someone did create a 5.0 Alt gearing thread, but it's in the pvp section.. so it will never get seen by Bio or 99% of the forum regulars unless they pvp.

Same here I have 15 and I am not looking forward to trying to outfit them all will probably just stay with my mains and only gear them.

Discourages alt-aholics: This isn’t my playstyle, but many in my guild have 20+ characters. They’re always up to help with Ops or other content because they *always* have a toon with no lockout. No one is going to grind your system on that many toons. Yes, some similar characters will be able to share gear, but you’re doing away with people who could fill any hole on a team at any time.

This is something I thought about as well. I also have a lot of toons and I don't see myself going through this on all toons. In 4.0 I had 20+ characters completely geared in ops gear and augments. This was also a small matter of pride and this will not be possible in 5.0 from what I can tell.

Particularly being able to gear people up to a base gear level quickly so they can participate is a concern there.

Discourages occasional PVP’ers: Many of the guys I PVP with are on once a week for PVP night will NEVER be able to gear themselves up to compete because they don’t put in the time. They rapidly geared up in 4.0 because they had tons of extra comms and were in full 208 on Day 1. Your new system throws them (subscribers) away because they can never put in enough time to compete with the teenage no-job kids who can spend all day grinding your new system for gear.

I'm torn about this one. One of the uncertains is the crafting. Apparently we will be able to craft max gear but without set bonuses. Although set bonuses do make a difference, I do not believe that difference is anywhere near the difference we have now with expertise. I bring this up because unlike your example, there are also a lot of newer players who don't have spare comms and they are discouraged quite easily because they get ripped apart by not having such gear. I think this change could work out better for them.

Discourages occasional Ops Raiders: I raid once a week. Half the team are occasional players who only show up once or twice a week. We are able to rapidly gear these people up by carrying them through Ops and giving them the majority of the gear. As this will now be impossible, you’re throwing these people (subscribers) away as well. They are good players and excellent raiders, but they don’t have the interest level to grind crap they’ve seen 10,000 times just to gear up for ops.

Yes this is what I fear as well. People being left out. I suspect that BWA's idea is that people do different things to get there gear and that there will be less focus on operations as a whole. I do agree with your point but at the same time doing the same operations again for gear in 4.0 was also grinding old crap. There now will be a much wider variety of old crap that you can do now to gain gear.

There are two items that I think are important to look at. A big one is crafting. Apparently we will be able to craft endgame gear and the only difference is that there are no set bonuses on crafted gear. If the crafting process is reasonable, this could be used to solve these issues. Instead of carrying someone through operations to get gear, it may be that guild crafting will become more important so that they can craft a set of gear for a more casual player. He will miss the set bonuses, but perhaps BWA feel we are roflstomping content too much (their own design of course) and that things will be more challenging by making the set bonuses more difficult (or less easy perhaps) to acquire.

The second thing is that even though the RNG in gearing worries me, I have not seen it in action. How long will it actually take to grind a certain level that will allow you to get a full set of set bonuses? And what will people find out is the easiest way to gain points? That question is important because people will gravitate to that activity.

If for example heroics and uprisings are the best cost vs benefit activities, people will do more of that and less operations. Maybe pvp is the very lucrative and that may cause at least some people to pvp more etc.

I am concerned but I also see some possibilities. For altoholic raiders (which I am as well at least to some degree) this may prove to be the biggest change and perhaps not an easy one.

Same here. The only reason I stay playing and subbing to this game is because it's easy to gear, play, and switch between alts quickly. Otherwise I'd get bored of playing only a couple toons. This change cannot be allowed to happen.

This is also my incentive to play swtor. With a job, a family and children I don't have much time to play. I log in once or twice a week, and I mainly play pvp. With the current system, I'm going to be competitive in no time gear wise.

There is no way I grind my way through GC, just for a chance of gear to be competitive again in pvp. I'm not very good at pvp, even I'm enjoying it, but being also on a gear disadvantage against people with a higher GC rank is more than I'm willing to stay.

After reading this statement from Eric

I'll take a crack at these!

• Yup. Having an item rating advantage would mean that you have higher stats. In Warzones especially there would be other factors at play such as any stat optimization and of course individual player skill.

I cancelled my sub immediately. With this, he just says "We know you are on a disadvantage, but we don't care".

Eh, they could also be trying to get folks like me to mix into the other communities more. A little carrot to hope that folks do not just stick to one play-mode, and mix with the rest of ye in your playmodes.

Where is the carrot then? Random loot boxes with gear? My RNG in this game is terrible, always has been. That's why I like the current gearing system, you have a goal to work towards and still get rewarded regardless of the type of content you choose to play.

Also the flipside is this gearing system isn't alt friendly, again another system similar to Alliance Commander ranks that doesn't take into account players of multiple classes and characters or legacy. That's poor design.

Where is the carrot then? Random loot boxes with gear? My RNG in this game is terrible, always has been. That's why I like the current gearing system, you have a goal to work towards and still get rewarded regardless of the type of content you choose to play.

Also the flipside is this gearing system isn't alt friendly, again another system similar to Alliance Commander ranks that doesn't take into account players of multiple classes and characters or legacy. That's poor design.

Same, I got useless low value supplemental drops for DvL and when ever I buy cart boxes I get diddly squat.. I don't buy them anymore for that reason. If that sort of luck transfers over to RNG boxes, I'd still be trying to gear at December next year. LoL

Oh, goodsir Musco! I didn't see this question answered in the Dev Tracker yet, so I figured I'd ask: What's going to happen to Alliance Crates, and the Legacy sets that they drop? Will they be left in-game, in parallel to the Galactic Command system, or will they be removed entirely?

Also, add me to the list, as saying: Limiting the GCS to subscribers only is probably a bad idea. Bringing back the RNG purgatory that is the old Champion and Battlemaster loot bags from the 1.X era is DEFINITELY just as bad an idea now as it was then. (That's why the devs got rid of them, remember? Fifteen pairs of bracers in a row, anyone? Exactly what was wrong with just buying the piece you needed from the vendor, in your minds?)

No gear at all dropping from bosses is going to feel super bad. Getting a gear drop that you've been really holding out for off of a boss is a good feeling that tickles our brains in the right spot. Taking that away and replacing it with essentially just an XP grind AND RNG boxes is going to feel super bad for players. Just my 2 credits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.