Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

138 pages with many questions still unanswered and we lost Eric around page 4 ...

Typical Bioware support

Starting Over is NOT new content ... it is deja vu bordering on a nightmare

Yeah it is sad and annoying that there has not been more of a response to well....a anything on this forum, but that might be because of the weekend and he might have other real life things to do not just because he or anyone else is ticked at us and refuses (could be wrong, but until we get 100% confirmation think through all the possibilities first.) he also has posted on twitter. (though i do not have a twitter account)

And didn't they remove Nightmare power for DF and DP a long time ago? And then removed EV and KP nightmare and remove those titles? So clearly there is no nightmare power left ingame atm.

Wait....my bad, freaking Stryak with his freaking nightmare, worst mechanic EVER. I hate having to beat my companions up, yeah yeah yeah i know i know i know its in my head, WELL GET THE BLOOMING GALAXY OUT OF MY HEAD YOU FREAK!!! *breathes in and out, in and out* And we can't forget Raptus. hehehe :p

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been with this game for a long while now, have expressed my disagreement with design decisions I didn't like, I supported those I did.

I cannot, in good conscious, support this DS LS event, because the longer you have played this game, the longer you have supported it financially, the less incentive do you have to participate.

I have at least two of each advanced class in this game. I have 32 characters on my main server. I play on 2 others. I have completed the requirements for this event many times over.

I will not throw a hissy-fit and declare my desire to unsubscribe right this second, however I do want to make it clear that this event missed the mark by a lightyear. Unfortunately, with each new update since 3.0, there has been less and less things of interest for veteran players, and I will strongly reconsider whether or not I will renew my subscription in december.

Eric, Tait, Ben, everyone at BioWare Austin,

I truly believe that you have your hearts in the right place.

For some reason the thought that popped to my mind after reading that was "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..."

I've yet to see sincere, rational and straightforward indications of it being otherwise.

I used to and wanted to believe what you just wrote there for years. But numerous slaps in the face later I only feel bad for the money and time I've given to this company. I feel (and probably am) gullible, I feel used.

The content we've seen over the last year really doesn't justify the input. Not to mention that alot of it borderlines trolling or insulting the playerbase.

I used to take the EA corporate evil hyperbole with a grain of salt. But within the last 5 years mainly Bioware has managed to make me a true believer. You can ignore having it rubbed in your face only for so long untill it starts bleeding.

I'm seriously concidering to finally end my subscription and just put an end to this madness. Me and my gf both.

I do not at all intend this as some type of threat. It's just the reality of things. And gathering from conversations with other players on my server, we're not the only ones either.

Dear Bioware, your Business and Marketing MO are Dispicable and Loathsome.

I still remember the day you introduced the Hutt Cartel & the Cartel Market.

Never did I imagine that from that day forth you would also act like a bunch of Hutts

When I first started playing in June 2012 the Chevin event started up. That was great fun. It was even unique. Since then I've amassed 14 characters, and done it "all".

This event holds nothing for me, it lacks creativity. It nearly feels like it penalizes me. You certainly have given me the finger by promoting server slots at half-price. This on top of my guild going from 10 people online to just me, in space of a week (Summer).

Sorry EAWare, you've peeved me off at this lacklustre event.

Honestly, I am sure that at this point, suspending the release of the event in order to adjust it to not penalize long term subs would be a move that would show that you actually care about your long term customers.

I am not a long term customer btw. I started the game on launch played for six months and leveled all classes to 50. I came back september last year and the story content is all that was holding me until the end of this season, but I promised to myself that next season I will let it roll a good chunk of chapters first before I sub again. Then, you guys announce this event and I thought that depending on how it goes, I would even subscribe a little longer after the end of the season to see what happens. Instead, you just keep making your major competitor look more and more attractive to me.

I would not be surprised if people start screaming "server merges/transfer discounts" when august hits you with a ten ton sledgehammer.

People need to understand a few important things...

1. This event is the equivalent of a Speedrun its meant to be a challenge to see who can get through waves of older content in a limited amount of time. I for one am happy for it because its going to be one of those events in which not many people will get.

2. You only need 2 character slots, once you get one to lv 50 the check mark is checked for the achievement is completed, then you can delete the toon, even eric said this.

3. Keeping in mind that this is a Speedrun, does that even change your mind?

No, simple as that!

Since I'll *never* get legendary status because I just won't do imperial class stories (apart from Bounty Hunter & Sorc, maybe), I'm fine with having one side only. Seeing that I won't ever get legendary status, I'm fine with that.

You're missing two great stories there.

Everything up to tier V actually isn't so bad, but just about everything in the legendary tier? F*** that. ALL 6 crafting skills need to be 550 (especially if you already have toons at that level don't need another freaking throwaway one) and you need to do ALL the HM FP's? Bioware is smoking something better than I got.

For this I just say :

"All FP in Hard Mode ? .... ALL ? You want but only that I get a mental breakdown . I'll probably remove it in time my TS. To my and to protect others . :D With just close all FP from , no matter in which mode I would come clear."

The jump from Eternal to Legendary is insane. It feels like there should be another level between the two which would hold a lot of that single player stuff like the crafting, Gree, Rak, Ziost, Oricon, etc. The top level would still be tough given you have Ops, HM FPs and world bosses, but as it stands it just seems to me to be a bad balance.

I'd really like to see post event a breakdown how many reach the various levels. Could no one get Legendary? Probably will be a few, but still be interesting to see.

Edited by JonoLR

"Luke, you will find out that many of the truth we are linked to depents greatly of ourer own point of view" Obi Wan Kenobi Star Wars VI

:cool: I read many posts and compared it to the blog. From my point of view this event focus on the challange based on the T i t -for-Tat strategy aka prisoner's dilemma. We need new toons cause ourer leveled toons have already a light or dark focus grown over years. So with event start it would be already clear which focus win.

Over the total game content we do dicisions that drive this event. We do the content for the event not to paly it all over again. So the new toons exist only for the event. When it end they are like ourer other toons.

I have 16 chars. Do I get 8 extra slots for the event?

My two credits on this:

No.

Many have already nailed this event by calling it a "speed run". Summer time does not mean tons of free time for players, most of which have jobs and families, and some having kids. camping and family events to attend to. The sheer amount of time to complete the higher end level would require most players to put in at least 4-6 hours a day until the end of the event.

Worse, the event is asking players to make disposable characters to run through old content as fast as they can, without paying any attention to content or story, to run through Flashpoints as quickly as possible, to storm the events and mass-kill NPC mobs. In essence, this event emphasizes the worst aspects of MMOs: grinding and area farming. There is no time at all to actually enjoy this event, because if you want a chance to get anything out of it, you have to GO.

For a game and a company that prides itself on story and content, this is a leap backwards. Even if the event creates a "change" in the universe afterward, it was only due to the efforts of those that least care.

So yeah, I'm not interested. Thanks but no thanks. I rather remain playing my game at my own pace, working on the characters I have carefully constructed, roleplaying when I can and spending the majority of my summer free time with my kid.

Edited by GiftoftheMagi

What a bloody joke this thing is. All it amounts to is a great recycling exercise.

You have got to be kidding me that the devs would spend all the time and resources that could have been put towards a decent end game operation but instead we get "Let's get them to EVERYTHING all over again" bovine excrement. Stuff I have done countless of times.

Well that is the final insult. Once my payed time is up I'm so gone. The ONLY thing that might get me to return is decent Operations. The last time the long time players really got what we wanted was 2nd December 2014 and according to the last stream there will be nothing this year either!

Along with the great dumming down! Story mode ops are just ridiculously easy, leveling is no challenge, I leveled a Scoundrel healer (the worst dps in the game) with L10 gear right to L55 with no problem.

Hey MR. Musco, I have my main character who honestly I want the best stuff to definitely be in his story. The thing is he's level 65 and can't earn the rewards. I was wondering if the companion rewards were legacy - bound, or could be mailed / transferred from one character to my main? Is there anyway that my main guy could end up with those companions? I shall await your reply!

^This is a good post. No whinging just a fair request to be able to use the rewards on his favorite character.

138 pages with many questions still unanswered and we lost Eric around page 4 ...

Typical Bioware support

Starting Over is NOT new content ... it is deja vu bordering on a nightmare

Which "legitimate" questions might those be though? A summary at this stage wouldn't help.

As I said earlier, any reasonable questions have been lost in the mire of whinging.

Honestly, I am sure that at this point, suspending the release of the event in order to adjust it to not penalize long term subs would be a move that would show that you actually care about your long term customers.

No one is penalized. I nfact you ahve an advantage over new players doing in that you should know how to go through the event much faster in fact skipping the entire class story part.

Just for once would one of you whingers please show definitively where you are being punished?

New players, old palyers, players with 1 toon and players with 40 ( or whatever the cap is ) ALL have to run through the event the same ... no one is disadvantaged or punished.

So far it's all hyperbole and nonsense and it's actually quite irritating that anytime anyone pulls you whingers up on this point you ignore the posts and keep whinging.

Everything up to tier V actually isn't so bad, but just about everything in the legendary tier? F*** that. ALL 6 crafting skills need to be 550 (especially if you already have toons at that level don't need another freaking throwaway one) and you need to do ALL the HM FP's? Bioware is smoking something better than I got.

Would you prefer they had "Legendary: Send us a video demonstrating you actually can tie your own shoe laces!"

I still wonder how many would fail though.

BW you love shooting yourself in the foot don't you.

If you simply didn't frame this as an "event" leading existing subs to believe there was something in it for them, but as a permanent feature for newbies, everyone would have been happy. Or at least less peeved off.

Edited by aeterno

BW you love shooting yourself in the foot don't you.

If you simply didn't frame this as an "event" leading existing subs to believe there was something in it for them, but simply as a permanent feature for newbies, everyone would have been happy.

Oh come on ... what sort of nonsense is this? Existing subs can't do the event? They can't make the characters and do the event or something?

It's completely an event - just because you don't want to do it and it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it any less of an event. It's still something extra you didn't have last week ... the option is there ( until October I believe? ) for you to get as far as you can be bothered getting or not at all.

No one is penalized. I nfact you ahve an advantage over new players doing in that you should know how to go through the event much faster in fact skipping the entire class story part.

Just for once would one of you whingers please show definitively where you are being punished?

New players, old palyers, players with 1 toon and players with 40 ( or whatever the cap is ) ALL have to run through the event the same ... no one is disadvantaged or punished.

So far it's all hyperbole and nonsense and it's actually quite irritating that anytime anyone pulls you whingers up on this point you ignore the posts and keep whinging.

They get penalized for having max characters potentially, the fact that 'move to another server' is even considered an option for an ingame event is stupid and defending that point means you evidently don't understand, or refuse to see, the issues with the event.

An event should be accessible to all and anything that stops it from being so is punishing those that can't access it.

The fact that to even be able to participate in the higher tiers requires me to delete characters or spend extra money than my sub costs on additional character slots means that it isn't accessible to everybody.

It has an obstacle in the path of accessing it

also as an aside, could you reply to multiple posts within a single reply? seeing half a thread page dedicated to you writing short paragraphs in response to even shorter paragraphs is a bit wasteful

That's not helpful unless you point out some specific examples of where those games had a level based system of progression with attached achievements and rewards that you could bypass.

I've played any number of TT RPGS where a rank 4 ability requires you to have levelled through ranks 1,2 and 3 first.

Well actually it is since SWTOR copied it from WoW. It is the same concept, a token that pushes your new character to the endlevel. Even the process how to apply looks mostly identical. WoW introduced it in 2013 and you could boost to lvl 90 by then. If I renember correctly

Oh come on ... what sort of nonsense is this? Existing subs can't do the event? They can't make the characters and do the event or something?

It's completely an event - just because you don't want to do it and it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it any less of an event. It's still something extra you didn't have last week ... the option is there ( until October I believe? ) for you to get as far as you can be bothered getting or not at all.

Sorry I completely disagree. We spend years in leveling those characters running through the same Zakul Story multiple times, spending massive efforts leveling the Alliance Warroom. Now only to have to it again? Where we already know this inside and out? This event is just a slap in our face.

Only because your account is less then two years old and haven't been playing the game like us doesn't make it right. I mean I get it for a like you that only played 2 out of 5 years this event is great. But please do not compare yourself with us cause you have no idea.

Edited by Takage

They get penalized for having max characters potentially, the fact that 'move to another server' is even considered an option for an ingame event is stupid and defending that point means you evidently don't understand, or refuse to see, the issues with the event.

An event should be accessible to all and anything that stops it from being so is punishing those that can't access it.

The fact that to even be able to participate in the higher tiers requires me to delete characters or spend extra money than my sub costs on additional character slots means that it isn't accessible to everybody.

It has an obstacle in the path of accessing it

So the only issue that penalizes a very few people is where they have maxed their slots? So if BW granted every sub 1 free extra slot to get around this then that would solve that and everyone would stop talking about this "penalty" nonsense?

also as an aside, could you reply to multiple posts within a single reply? seeing half a thread page dedicated to you writing short paragraphs in response to even shorter paragraphs is a bit wasteful

Hmmm ... no I can't, I reply to each individual as I catch up. If people stopped moving the topic forward with such nonsense posts I wouldn't even need reply.

I.e. you yourself could have posted along the lines of "Hey could we please get an extra slot to do this event as I have maxed all my slots and don't feel it's fair that I have to delete one of my characters or play on another server".

Less hyperbole, less throwing your toys out of the cot and it actually comes across as far more reasoned and worth responding to or considering ( imo this is, if I were in Biowares place ) than the Harry Enfeld "It's so unfair" Kevin the Teenager routine.

for those who haven't had the pleasure. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.