Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

It doesn't punish the players at all.

Legendary level is a nightmare that I'm not even going to attempt. But everything needed for Eternal and below is from the sort of content I do during lulls in content anyway. You know, level up an alt or two, run some tac flashpoints, maybe dip my toe into PvP to see if i'm still hopeless at it. Regular content for regular players.

Can see me in casual mode probably getting Eternal in 4-6 weeks.

Been here since launch. don't feel punished by this event in the slightest.

Sorry that you're slow at the game, but some people actually use their character slots, and don't have room for new ones. The more characters you've chosen to level, the more punished you are by this event. Judging by your prediction of getting Eternal in 4-6 weeks, it's not hard to see why you haven't leveled enough characters to be punished. Sadly, I am inconvenienced with your narrow, self-centered perspective wherein you're the only person that matters; if you do not feel punished, you then believe that no one is punished. However, you'll find that blanket statements are quickly shot down, so I trust you'll try to refrain from using them in the future.

This entire event is a massive cash grab, hoping players will buy as many extra character slots as possible. The only reason they're discounting them is to keep people under control. "Oh, we see how that could be a problem -- we're discounting them to try and fix the problem". They act like it's some external issue they're doing their best to resolve, but people are losing sight of the fact that they're the ones who caused the issue in the first place.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that an event like this isn't retroactive is probably my biggest concern. I have 6 characters of different classes above lvl 50 already. I don't feel like replaying them all on throwaway characters just for some cartel packs in the space of only 4 months.

Yeah and I'm the idiot who has been doing next to nothing but reading all 145+ pages since Thursday, this is WAY to much fun :D:D:D:D:D (maybe to much fun....I need to raid soon lol)

That made me laugh. I'm a forum junkie, and I've really been getting my fix the last few days!

Edited by Trynitris

And someone forced you to do all that hard labor did they? Or was it because you actually enjoyed it? If you did it and didn't enjoy it then you're a fool imo. Games should be about having fun after all, not doing a job.

Now if the event doesn't sound like fun or you don't want to work to get the reward then just don't do it. Don't expect it to be handed to you on a silver platter simply because "Uh, I've already done that!". I've already done the ops numerous times, where is my free BiS gear when they leveled them up?

Lol what nonsense you speak. Where do you even get such a ridiculous notion from?

Ignoring the fact my member number is much smaller than yours thus I've been here longer ...

Account Creation Date: 09.30.09 - wow older than I thought ... now please don't compare yourself to me because clearly based on your own logic ... you have no idea being so nooby n all. ;)

Now even if you hadn't just made a complete fool of yourself with your misguided elitism ... what makes you so special that they should cater to veterans? We got tons of rewards etc. new players can NEVER get and we had the joy of actually doing the content itself ... why do we now need to be rewarded for enjoying a game?

Wow you did some extra content and had fun doing it ( or didn't in which case refer the fool comment ) ... best hand you it all on said silver platter. :rolleyes: It's pathetic arguments like this is why I can't take much of this whinging over the event seriously.

You sure do love to attack other players for expressing thier opinions. Almost to the point where I have to wonder what kind of stake you have in this.

I have seen you do this in other topics time and again and while you do make an effort of making most of your posts seem rational, they are filled to the brim with belittling and close to insulting remarks on others that do not feel the way you do.

So which is it? Are you an employee trying to defend his own product under the guise of a player? A narcist who enjoys posting in ways that show how 'superior' his opinions (sorry those are facts to you) are?

For someone who acts superior to others you sure like to hide behind the word 'hyperbole' alot.

There's a saying where I live counter to what hyperbole is;

"Where there is Smoke, There is Fire."

And while I do not believe this to always be the case;

Just how much Smoke do you need?

You're missing two great stories there.

Yes, but I just don't want to play them.

The one is simply too deep into dark territory for me, the other one is said to be the best story of all - which is why I won't play it, because after playing it, it will make all other stories look so dull, I expect.

They were not even answering questions yesterday on their twitter account either.

But you are still here, listening to them.

Why don't you do something else instead ? Buy some food for the weekend, for example ? Or liksten to some prog album ?

Or is waiting, listening, so much better ?

So this is a simple case of "Don't like what I don't like." People are going to disagree and have different perspectives. You might want to get used to that fact. Comparing this to the communist party? Really?

This is not a case of what I do and do not like. It is a matter of how damaging such move is for the game.

Ever asked yourself why USSR citizens were dirty poor, while the West was so rich?

Well let me tell you why - because there were plenty of useful idiots who liked the system. They like it so much that it collapsed in the end.

Same thing is happening to this game - faithful fanboys will like anything that BioWare throw at them, buy their CM crap, until it won't be sustainable anymore, and the game closes.

Because believe me, for a lot of people this is going to be the last straw.

Do I have to start a completely new legacy to do this event if my current one is at legendary status with all the event achievements already done?

No, if you have room on your legacy you can use your current one. Supposedly the achievements will be listed under the even Dark/Light so the achievements you get there has nothing to do with the ones you already have.

Do I have to start a completely new legacy to do this event if my current one is at legendary status with all the event achievements already done?

You do not need to start a new Legacy. You do have to start new characters. Characters created before June 28 are not eligible for Dark versus Light. Achievements done before June 28 do not count towards Dark versus Light.

But you are still here, listening to them.

Why don't you do something else instead ? Buy some food for the weekend, for example ? Or liksten to some prog album ?

Or is waiting, listening, so much better ?

Since you seem so interested in what I am doing, I am in the middle of building a house on another game so I check back here to take a break from my house building.

Satisfied now?

I've posted this before and will post it again...

The simplest solution (in my mind) is the following:

1) Make the "Eternal Level" be achievable only by having "new" characters. This would mean doing the event as advertised up to "Eternal Level" and would be fair as it would basically involve playing 2 characters to max level and doing all story content on those 2 characters (it might even be fun).

2) Once "Eternal Level" has been achieved and the title "The Eternal Victor" has been unlocked, achievements that have been completed before on the Legacy and that contribute to "Legendary Level" are unlocked on that Legacy. This *only happens* after "Eternal Level" has been reached by participating in the event as advertised.

3) Players can then complete the remaining achievements needed (those that were not automatically unlocked when they reached "Eternal Level") to reach "Legendary Level" on any existing (old or "new") character (in essence, remove the "Dark vs. Light event character" requirement for "Legendary Level").

Bioware should be able to gate this as stated above (requiring "Eternal Level" to have achievements be retroactively awarded). They are doing it with the Eternal Championship where they require that Chapter 9 of KOTFE be completed to be able to participate.

The proposed solution will have people playing the content while at the same time not forcing long time players to redo everything they have already done (in some cases many multiple times).

Long time players won't be receiving anything without doing something. They will still have to achieve "Eternal Level" the same way as everyone else. The proposal simply makes all they have achieved in the past count for something. Think of it as "rewarding" the long time players for being long time players.

This is all over the place but:

I've been playing since July 2012, and have bounced around servers, with too many toons to count. I don't mind leveling, questing and raiding is where I spend my time in game. But I think there's some design flaws here. You guys keep repackaging old content and saying it's new. Also,I feel like yes, the last tier should be a challenge, but every hardmode fp in the game? and you have to do tython and korriban on both imperial and republic? I feel like if this is necessary to include, people should get retroactive credit or the fps shouldn't include fps after what were the old level 55 fps. Many people will do everything in all of the tiers and not be able to complete, (maybe thats the point, time sink without reward?) blood hunt, battle of rishi, tython and korriban on hardmode. The player base is down, and it was a struggle in pugs when the player base was up. Heck a lot of guild groups struggled.

Not to mention, Kotfe also has very little replay value.

So what is your goal in this event, because it feels like the whole point is a cash grab. Even if you discount character slots, you will be making lots of money. The gear will be bound to the toon but unlockable in collections, another cash grab. Most games I've played, when they release something simliar, something that requires you to level something new, usually a new class, they increase the toon cap by one and give the toon slot for free.

On the note of the companion, it will be account unlocked, so not something we have to pick up doing kotfe. That to me sounds like it won't have any unique story. (Like the disappointment from Nico.) That Chiss Jedi could be a great story, and I main imperials. (Chiss aren't very well known for using the force, or being republic iirc) I feel, however, that this will just be another generic skin. Can we verify there will be story tied to this companion? Some kind of emotional attachment we can form from our characters point of view? We don't need more skin shells, we miss companions having a personality. If you want to focus on story, then give us at least some more connection to our companions. And if you aren't planning operations soon, the least you could do is let people know.

4.0 really feels like 'hey you've been loyal for years, okay screw you, we care about the new people'.

I've only been here so long because I love the game, but it's turning into a struggle to keep this attachment.

Edited by Krazhez

Since you seem so interested in what I am doing, I am in the middle of building a house on another game so I check back here to take a break from my house building.

Satisfied now?

Building a house you say? Might i ask what game that is, if its an mmo....im kinda looking for something else to play.

Building a house you say? Might i ask what game that is, if its an mmo....im kinda looking for something else to play.

For mmos, BDO has a system where you can buy/rent houses in the game world and then decorate them as you like (Kinda like the strongholds here). The houses are also "physically" placed in the world itself and not in a separate instance, so you can have other players as neighbours.

Edited by JeKoCZ

The one I'm doing is not an MMO but I believe there are others. Sometimes I just need a break from MMO's so I go to a solo play game now if only I can build houses that don't wind up lopsided p. (lol):p

Back on topic,

While I do not agree with some of the ideas or demands that some players make to set a better course for this event, I do wholeheartedly agree that the current iteration fails at even being an event.

I was or used to be under the impression that an event is suposed to be fun for all if not most interested parties within the game it's tied to... Forgive me if somewhere along the lines, "Fun" or that elusive feeling called "enjoyment" were no longer a prerequisite in gaming.

What we hope for often isn't what we get; But hypothetcially speaking (writing), I think this could have an acceptable scenario for most of us.

- Unique "New" Rewards:

While alot of the rewards look nice (imho), when Bioware stated that the keyword for the "to be awarded DS/LS Companions" was "NEW", I was already feeling sceptical. Blame past experiences for that.

*Current Iteration*; A Red Zabrak Female for DS & A the first possible Chiss Companion for LS. Both looking like I could easily remake them in the character editor and dress them up exactly the same.

My opinion; Bland and Generic. The only + is that there is no Chiss companion yet and she doesn't even look nice... (again, my opinion)

*What Could have Been* With some effort into fiddling with skin/hair colors/tattoos/eyes in the excisting races Bioware could have introduced us to A Zeltron Companion // A Pantoran Companion.

Only slightly and acceptably different in terms of resources (even if the Hero Engine keeps being a thorn in the side in those matters). But Lorewise completely different and with an arguably newer vibe to it.

Additionally and perhaps unintentionally, it might also open the debate to adding said races to the SWTOR repertoire consequentially.

*Actual Event Objectives* Rather instead of doing what content already has been made available for years (with some exceptions), A mite bit of actual new content turning this into an event of it's own right wouldn't have been out of place here?...

I think it is needless to say alot of people, myself included, were hoping for at least a little bit of new interactions.

Perhaps even some puzzles to solve. Even if not the *WHOLE* event consisted out of some new content, it would have been a plaster on the wound if at least *SOME* of it was.

What deffinitely *SHOULD* have been done in regards to the community is taking forms of objectives from all walks of LIFE in SWTOR

- RP ;

Objectives concisting out of interacting and visiting locales often frequented or suitable to those interested in RP.

Objectives concisting in dealing/interacting with ingame resources useful to those interested in RP.

- RAIDERS

Objectives concisting in parttaking in Novice forms of Raiding.

Raider related objectives; Operations / Flashpoints / Eternal Championship (Raid mechanic practice).

Having programmed in event related bonus objectives within the Raids could already have turned it into a bit less repetitive objective to complete. From puzzles to finding easter eggs within a set Operation and/or number of Flashpoints.

- PVP

Objectives within the Warzonescene could have been quite original and been made to distort the usual run of the known warzone objectives in fun or challenging ways. Keeping in mind however how the base objectives can often be confusing to many new players.

Randomly thought of in 5 seconds example (so excuse any poor quality, this is just for the gist of the idea)...;

EG; Odessen Warzone now has a *RANDOM BOOST* with some unique random effects. Find them all (Use each at least once (random)).

"Sudden Death Boost" Everyone can randomly Die & Respawns for 60 seconds. (Message: [playername] was kille by Random).

"All or Nothing Boost" Randomly Activates all Control Points or Deactivates all Control Points for the remanider of the round.

"Reset Boost" Re-randomises all active/inactive points in the current round.

"I'm on YOUR Side! Boost" Re-arranges team members between the 2 teams within an Odessen Warzone.

Well now that sure would have made that one 'different' wouldn't it?...

- STORY

"I am so Story" ; Story related objectives, Could have been a ministory tying up lore and background stories related to the companions you are able to gain trough the event.

- TOTAL

"Event-boxes"; Detailing a text-based situation (or voiced by npc "X") wherein you have to make a lightside or darkside based decision that counts towards tthe total tally of the events outcome. The event boxes are gained trough the events' custom objectives.

There are more that I could mention, there are more suggestions I could make of how things could have been made differently all with either more or less resource intensitivity from Devs side and/or potentially more or lesser interesting to the player community.

However, seeing how much I already wrote and the feeling that nothing I or someone else suggests in these area's will be heard and/or done anything with I'm going to cut it here....

Things could have been different, alot different. It doesn't take a genius to brainstorm up a few fresh new ideas. (As you can see even I can do it! Sort of... :) )

I wish, things would have been different.

Putting aside how bad I think this 'event' is and how far it is from anything that I thought we would be getting I do have a question for the folks that thought it up.

Who is it aimed at or in other words How will it increase the SWTOR profits?

Lets face it ToR is a commodity owned by EA and like any company they like money. They may do some things out of the goodness of their hearts or to reward loyal customers or to improve their public image. This is not one of them, I hope even the biggest fanboi's of this travesty agree this is not a Thank you all for being loyal customers for the last 5 years, here is some anniversary gifts.

OK so you have the Veterans that have been here for the last 5 years, those that wanted to play this content have, they have probably enjoyed it. They might have played it multiple times, they may have no more free character slots, they may have purchased a lot of cartel coins to get lockboxes for a chance of nice loot. - In general this doesn't seem like its for them. Firstly its old content, they have played through it plenty of time without the offer of lockboxes and special titles so not a great deal of fun. Second nothing done in the past 5 years counts so doesn't seem to suggest its valued.

I suspect though of the veterans there is the category that is looking for a reason to reroll and play through the content again. I imagine this is a small section as its fairly time consuming to do stuff you have already done for some generally cosmetic stuff. Lets face it even the vaunted companion will not appear in the story, Nico and HK and every alert companion has shown us that. While in theory they could do it differently that would raise questions over how they treated customers.

But aside from vets that have the free time and inclination just not a good reason to reroll characters its not overly appealing.

Which leaves new and returning players. These are people that do not currently see any value in playing the game for free or as a subscriber, despite the monthly installments of Kofte. Though personally I think more will sub for the final installment of Kofte as you get all 16 chapters for 15 bucks play through it as you want over a month then unsub. Ultimately these people do not feel the game is value for time or money, they may just not like it and no cartel market item will change that. Should the event encourage them to try it out are they really a prime audience for investing in the game. The content that is on offer is the same that was on offer in varying degrees for the last 5 years. It wasn't appealing then but offer some free random cartel packs and a few mounts and pets its suddenly going to be griping? This seems to be the target audience but outside of some shinnies whats really changed from a month or a year ago that is going to make them realize they want to play ToR. Once the shinnies are gone will they still want to play, if the only thing that gets you here is a bribe are you really interested in spending money on the game.

It seems that after 5 years, the 12 times xp and 2 times xp events, the introduction of legacy perks and legendary status this event is instead focused on mythical new players. Who may need shinnies to be enticed to play the game but once they do will become loyal subscribers and CC purchasers. I'm just not sure that this mythical creature exists and the event just shows how little regard EAware has for its veteran players (I know a little hyperbole but I can't think of a better way to describe it). Veterans that have gone on to pastures new are hardly likely to look at this event and be rushing to return. 'So let me get this right, they want me to come back, start at level 1 and rerun through content I've already done as an 'event' yeah I think I'll stay playing Legion (or whatever) if its all the same to them.'

So surely someone should be asking, your running an event that is likely to annoy more people than its going to encourage to play. Is it the best idea, if your not trying to drive players away.

Edited by Costello

That made me laugh. I'm a forum junkie, and I've really been getting my fix the last few days!

I know right! :D Whats funny is before this forum, I think I only posted like....3 maybe 4 before? lol Read tons of other ones though, just never posted, and yeah the past few days have been a field day for me lol its SO much fun! rofl :D:cool::D

idk how to re edit on a phone so ill just copy what i said from before and add onto it .....

SMH ok look WE get that we DONT HAVE TO to this event as veterans , but you all are missing the point here. We would like to do this on our existing characters how hard is that to understand ? Please explain to me why any of us would relevel just to get top tier rewards when most of us all have 65s . Why would me make throw away toons that get these titles and stuff thats not legacy ? WHY? Like WE want the titles and rewards on our mains, like why in hell would we level only to get everything on our our throw away 50s ?? Also the packs wil prob be bind on pickup and the stuff inside the crates will be prob bop and bound to that toon as soon as you open it so why bother esp if you are going to just delete the toon after that makes no sense . That is the whole point of events esp in the past. I dont understand how hard it is to just implement a new event surrounded by some new content for existing people. Like all the people saying " idk why ppl are complaining for then dont level if you dont want to " .Because in order to do this achievement re-leveling all 8 classes is a new legacy trolls can tell me and give me examples of it not being ? They are basically telling us to re get legendary status . And from the lowest tier of rewards it would have to be a new toons anyways. Which is a bunch of BS to the people who have spent 4 1/2 yrs defending , supporting and playing the game .

I get it may be like time walking but the difference is time walking scales you down and you run through old content it doesn't make you relevel all 8 classes thats not time walking . Also this isn't a speed run contest idk who came up with that logic but it isn't . Mock all of us veterans that you want but until you've put in 4 1/2 yrs work of leveling and grinding out stuff for your legacy only to be told your toons cant join the event and you need to redo it all over AGAIN , then you have the right to talk . We have earned our rights to complain and it is a huge slap in the face .They are going to already drive away what community is left as it is and then maybe they will learn not to make us mad . Part of me thinks this is a business move and they are hoping the game will die out so they wont have to support it anymore , not that they do right now anyways .....

Tbh they should have stuck with making KOTOR3 if they wanted to focus on story driven content . They could have easily shutdown swtor . With how things are going i dont think they are going to get many new players attention . The new players will see how upset the veterans are and they'll prob think twice about subbing to the game . Besides the sub rewards have been crap latley and the new chapters feel slightly rushed . But this nails it in the coffin for me . I love this game to pieces i really did but support we are getting on this is none . Ive played for 4 1/2 yrs now but it is nice to know our veterans dont matter for this event and its nice to know , we wont be able to partake in this event . Whoever thought of this event or whoever was in charge of thinking these requirements were ok should be fired . They might not notice it now but they will soon . But like i said above im fine with having to gsf , im fine with redoing hm fps , im fine with soloing all the solo fps , im fine killing wb , and im fine doing the other stuff. Its the having to recreate 8 new toons that everyone doesn't like , maybe us veterans want to try for legendary tier but its ridiculous that we have to max lvl crafting on those toons plus lvl them all to 50 . Can you see why were all a lil upset ? I mean wouldn't you be if you've finally got everything up to par only to have to redo it all over AGAIN for prob a one time event ?

Yes, but I just don't want to play them.

The one is simply too deep into dark territory for me, the other one is said to be the best story of all - which is why I won't play it, because after playing it, it will make all other stories look so dull, I expect.

Done 6 1/2 storylines thus far, Trooper (okish) JK (love it) JC (love it despite everyone else hating it) Smuggler (SO much fun and awesome lines), BH (first imperial storyline, didn't want to do imperial because of them being the "bad guys" but I liked the 1st chapter, 2nd was meh, but HATED the 3rd chapter, but LOVED the ending. Also Mako is my fav companion ever) Inquiz (hated it, all of it, but for Taris, that was the only storyline part I liked.) 3/4 of the way done with SW (On Balsavis atm) and Imp Agent is still on DK. Imo, I can see not wanting to do the SW storyline because of how dark it is, and it is, and I assume going to get even worse because I semi know where its heading, but what I liked about it thus far, is even with how dark it is, I can still be a lightsided person. (Still many choices in the game, many on the imp side I would not do either choice because both are stupid light or dark.) And Vette is my 2nd fav companion in the game. Still going to replay it multiple times for all the branching what not. And saving agent for last as that's the best. Hated the Inquiz one because even with the lightside choices, I still felt like I was a evil overlord with everyone, (Further proven with the end cut scene which SUCKED) and I don't like that. I don't feel that way with my SW, in fact I feel pretty awesome because of the way I view the storyline. (won't spoil the storyline just in case, but if you want I can.) Anyway, that's how I feel about the storylines lol

The timing of this event is completely off.

It would have been perfect if it was released around Star wars Episode VII release, or postponed for Rogue One release.

This summer release:

You want to cater to new players with a 4 y old game : marketing suicide with WoW Legion Pre-patch & Rekease.

You want to keep veterans playing: bingo, the non retroactive stuff alienated most of them.

Well played, Bioware.

The new achievements that track the progress of the "event" have not been released yet. They are incoming with 4.8 on Tuesday. Even if you have all 8 classes storylines done, the new achievement incoming says to level each class to lv50 (not complete storyline if you don't want to.) It's kinda like a example I used a bit ago, The Cademimu HM flashpoint achievements. I have all bosses killed 25 times, and then the add the wookie boss achievements to kill him 1, 10 and 25 times. Even though I had already killed him more then 25 times before then, they are new achievements added, so I have to redo the flashpoint, 25 times again. Same thing here, even though you have the achievements for all classes to level 50 already, you will need to redo and relevel all 8 classes to 80 again, but with a character made on or after 28th. So no need to make a new legacy, unless you don't have 1-3 free character slots, then yeah sadly you are going to have to go to another server. Most of the rewards you get during the event are BoP or BoL, but all the end rewards that come at the end of the event (pet, speeders, companion) are account bound, so every character across your entire account will get them. Hope that helps :)

Edited by Lakemine