Character Transfer Sale 5/26 – 6/5

EricMusco

Email is probably the worst way to communicate. Why? Because in every other case where they did announce something with a deadline via email... players will be back in the forum on June 6 stating the they did not see the email, or did not receive, it or did not read it in time, <insert any other lame excuse here>, and petition, whine, demand that Bioware give them a break and make and exception for them, or extend the sale because they are special, etc. etc. etc. Yes, yes, some will do this regardless.... but why use a channel that has failed over and over and over again and declare it a success move???

Again, I have no objection to emailing... but all you (and a few others) want to do is stomp on my comments for pointing out that there are multiple and better ways to reach out to the player base then email, and that email for this sort of thing is historically ineffective.

I know.. soooooo sinful of me to explore the implications of putting everyone's attention on email when history shows from many forum threads over the years that people either don't receive, or don't read, or read too late, or lose it in their spam filter, etc. etc. etc.

How about we agree to disagree.. since this **** can keep going back and forth forever.. and well beyond the sale period of the transfers. ;)

Honestly, this discussion is only continuing due to your need for everyone to validate your statement that e-mail is bad. It isn't. Different people prefer different forms of communication and I know personally that e-mails for SWTOR were continuous reminders that I liked the game while I was unsubbed and helped bring me back. I would appreciate if BW would leverage all reasonable forms of communication available to them. It takes almost no time or effort to send out an e-mail in addition to tweeting, posting to FB, posting on the forums, and updating the launcher.

We know that not everyone will get or read the e-mail, just like not everyone will go to or read the forums, reddit, Twitter, FB, and the launcher. But if you utilize them all, you're doing the best you can short of sending a plane to write it in the sky over the address of anyone who has every subscribed to the game.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

As Ben mentioned in his earlier forum post, we definitely wanted to allow Guilds and players time to organize themselves within the previous Character Transfer sale. With that in mind, we are going to be introducing one more sale period before they revert to their new price of 1,000 Cartel Coins (1,500 for Regional). Here are the sale details:

When: Thursday, May 26th – Sunday, June 5th

What: Character transfers (not including Regional) will be 90 Cartel Coins

Where: Make sure that you are logged into swtor.com and go here.

Thanks everyone. Spread the word!

-eric

This should be a free service for subscribers.

Yeah.. my issue with MCBs agenda is that he can and will make up alleged facts out of thin air to help prosecute his demand for a single mega server in each region. And if he is not getting enough attention, then he starts spamming new threads with different servers singled out as "dead". I simply cannot take such willful deceit seriously, nor anything they soapbox with it. Anyone in the forum that defends and supports his behaviors is part of the problem as well, IMO.

Like you said, that is entirely in your opinion. So stop trying to force your agenda onto others.

Email is probably the worst way to communicate. Why? Because in every other case where they did announce something with a deadline via email... players will be back in the forum on June 6 stating the they did not see the email, or did not receive, it or did not read it in time, <insert any other lame excuse here>, and petition, whine, demand that Bioware give them a break and make and exception for them, or extend the sale because they are special, etc. etc. etc. Yes, yes, some will do this regardless.... but why use a channel that has failed over and over and over again and declare it a success move???

Again, I have no objection to emailing... but all you (and a few others) want to do is stomp on my comments for pointing out that there are multiple and better ways to reach out to the player base then email, and that email for this sort of thing is historically ineffective.

I know.. soooooo sinful of me to explore the implications of putting everyone's attention on email when history shows from many forum threads over the years that people either don't receive, or don't read, or read too late, or lose it in their spam filter, etc. etc. etc.

How about we agree to disagree.. since this **** can keep going back and forth forever.. and well beyond the sale period of the transfers. ;)

By the way, you're entirely wrong about the email thing. I have no idea where you got your views from. Email is one of the best ways to communicate. Just because YOU don't check your emails every day, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

And actually, the forum is a small minority of the playerbase, and their comments aren't representative of the general population. Those people who have said "don't receive, or don't read, or read too late, or lose it in their spam filter" have obviously came to the forum as they've had a problem with their email.

petition, whine, demand

How about we agree to disagree.. since this **** can keep going back and forth forever..

It's going back and forth because you can't force people to accept your opinions and views.

Edited by DarthWoad

If they are not subbed, why on earth should we care about them? I get that you do.. which is fine.. sooooooo let those 10 people know about it. Be part of the solution.... for your 10 beloved alleged acquaintances. ;)

Because if they sub again then bioware will get more customers and therefore money which means they have more money to make more content?? Do you not care about the future of this game? Or are you just trying to wind people up?

Do you really not understand this?

Edited by DarthWoad

How about send a mass email to all current subs and all cancelled subs. I know of about 10 people who will re sub to transfer toons and start playing this game again. You need to make this more public than asking people like me to spread the word. A lot of these people I have no way to contact outside of the game.

/Agree.

I know about 10 people as well who would resub, who left the game. I know these people because I've played with them before and am still in contact with them as I play with them time to time.

Some people reading this will not believe for one second that we both know 10 people. :rolleyes: Wonder why

It would be very helpful to hear why guild transfers are not available.

Another solution - not the best one - could be following one: We saw that Eric Musco got many items and credits with ingame mails from the customer service. We could transfer this service to normal players - it seems that it works!

BW could check what the guild had unlocked (play for the ship for example), decoration, etc. and send all this stuff connected with credits to the guild leaders. If there are no guild transfers, that would be a helpful and necessary acttion.

Please don't stick the boot into those that wish to change region. At least explain what the extra work involved is to justify the price.

Chances are there were some legal fees that was associated with the legal wrangling to get over the issues with intercontinental transfers, so I would guess that they are absorbing the costs into the cost of the transfers.

Since you guys have said multiple times only a "small percentage" of players use the forums" you need to put this out more then just this post.

Twitter

Facebook

Mail

Launcher

Otherwise, you will be right back in the same boat with every single "Timed" deal that has happened...

"I WAS TAKING A POWER WALKING TRIP ACCROSS THE COUNTRY AND MISSED IT THE FORUM POST ABOUT THIS!"

"MY COUSINS UNCLES BROTHERS NEIGHBORS DOG DIED AND I HAD TO DRIVE HIM ACCROSS THE COUNTRY TO THE FUNERAL CELEBRATION AND MISSED THE FORUM POST"

" I DECIDED TO BINGE WATCH ALL 35 SEASONS OF DR WHO AND DIDNT KNOW THIS WAS HAPPENING!"

et cetera..

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Chances are there were some legal fees that was associated with the legal wrangling to get over the issues with intercontinental transfers, so I would guess that they are absorbing the costs into the cost of the transfers.

To me this seems a bit hard to believe as far as i know many players have played both US servers and EU with no "legal" issues. So my feeling is that they are trying to avoid a US server depopulating to an EU one and vice versa.

Anyways, whilst it seems a bit unfair having to pay the extra cost I may do it to support Bioware or just level a new toon as it's somewhat easy these days for experienced players at least.

Edited by EnniSquinnna

To me this seems a bit hard to believe as far as i know many players have played both US servers and EU with no "legal" issues. So my feeling is that they are trying to avoid a US server depopulating to an EU one and vice versa.

Anyways, whilst it seems a bit unfair having to pay the extra cost I may do it to support Bioware or just level a new toon as it's somewhat easy these days for experienced players at least.

The issue was not having characters in US and EU servers you were always able to do that, but transferring one from the other was a completely different thing, something to do with Data protection accross borders or something like that.

The only reason they can do regional transfers now is because the EU recently reached a revised agreement on data security for personal data. They effectively backed off on some of the more extreme security requirements, in the process of streamlining the EU getting to one common data exchange process. More then likely, it is the agreement on consistency and specifics of requirements that facilitated multi-national data transfers.

Is it more expensive for them to provide this service? No idea. I do know however that inter-region transfer was NOT part of the previous 90cc, and clearly all they are doing here is turning back on the discount for 10 days. It's not like they are recoding the website for more transfer options.

Info on the recent adoption of a new data protection standard. http://www.computerweekly.com/guides/Essential-guide-What-the-EU-Data-Protection-Regulation-changes-mean-to-you

Edited by Andryah

Actually I find it hard to believe anything he says. When he starts complaining about a server I play on and says he can't get a group, when my boyfriend and I have no problems on any of our toons when we do pugs or pvp(the rare occasion I do it) I dismiss his comments completely so him saying he has no way of contacting them I have no reason to actually believe him. See that is the problem when you go around and say things that others know are not actually true.

A friend once told me when she was on the forums you don't claim you know everything about a server or a topic and you don't make it sound like you are always right as eventually you are going to say something that might be true but people are not going to believe you.

There is an old saying. You can judge a man by friends. However there is another saying too. You can judge a man by his enemies. And the fact that some of you hate me is worn like a badge of honor. It strengthens my resolve.

And BTW I was very clear about "your" server being playable during peak times. But if you read the whole thing I had a serious issue with its population as soon as peak time was over. So read a little further before you pop at the seams and have a hissy fit on me. Everything I say I try to back up with facts and if I cant do that I back it up with personal experiences.

And BTW I was very clear about "your" server being playable during peak times. But if you read the whole thing I had a serious issue with its population as soon as peak time was over. So read a little further before you pop at the seams and have a hissy fit on me. Everything I say I try to back up with facts and if I cant do that I back it up with personal experiences.

Here are your posts about EH and lets check them out shall we where you claim you said peak time, shall we?

05.05.2016 , 06:02 AM | #134

They are all dying. EH is nothing like it was a year ago. Not even close. The only server that in the past had continued a strong and healthy population thru the past few years is and was Harbringer. And now even harbringer is on a downward spiral. It too is now suffering from slower que times and lower overall population. But to say EH and Shadowlands are both healthy is definatly an opinion I do not share with you. Personally if harbringer ends up like either one of those servers, I will quit this game. And I have played this game since launch. Those servers are not "healthy" at all by my standards.

There is enough players right now to create one mega server. But I fear if they wait much longer at the current rate of these servers eroding that if they don't do it soon, it will be too late. This is an issue that cant be ignored any longer. This game is dying. And without the creation of a mega server, there is nowhere to go. Harbringer gets like Shadowlands or EH, I will un install this game until they announce the creation of a mega server. Its just that simple. And if you don't like it you can lump it

Do yo see anything in that post that you said peak times? Mmm I don't unless you wrote with invisible ink on the internet?

05.05.2016 , 01:13 PM | #137

Yeah, you probably wish I was. But like I said you cant trick someone who has played there for years. That server is nothing compared to what it was for the past few years. It is more dead right now then I have ever seen it in the past bar none. Not even remotely close. It is a ghost town compared to what it used to be.

Again, Do yo see anything in that post that you said peak times? Mmm I don't unless you wrote with invisible ink on the internet?

]

05.05.2016 , 05:28 PM | #157

Have you played EH or BC lately? They are horrible. They might not be as dead as bastion or POT5 but by any MMO standard they need to be merged. If that was all I had to chose from in this game I would 100% absolutely uninstall and never play again.

The only server that has a "healthy" population IMO is Harbringer. I have toon on Shadowlands and while your at the peak play time it is ok. But if your off peak (the other 18 hours a day) it is laughable. If Shadowlands was the only server left, I would leave this game right now and never play again. And Shadowlands is taunted as a good lively server. IMO it is laughable at getting worse daily.

The minimum requirement for a servers population should be Harbringers. And that should be absolute MINIMUM. Creating a mega server is a win win and would restore some well needed life back into the dissolving MMO

Again, Do yo see anything in that post that you said peak times? Mmm I don't unless you wrote with invisible ink on the internet?

05.05.2016 , 05:40 PM | #159

I have heard people saying that about POT5 ever since I left that toilet bowl for a server. It all sounds good but its just not reality. EH is horrible. You say its awesome. Just like I said to the people from POT5 who got mad at me when I left, I agree to disagree. Of course my idea of a good server isn't waiting in que for 20 minutes. So maybe it is awesome if your into that kinda thing.

So unless you are typing with invisible ink there are no posts saying peak times, are there. This is the ones where Ebon Hawk was discussed.

Be careful when you say you said something because there will always be a person around to go back and check to check what you are saying.

And on that note have a good weekend.

Edited by casirabit

Here are your posts about EH and lets check them out shall we where you claim you said peak time, shall we?

Do yo see anything in that post that you said peak times? Mmm I don't unless you wrote with invisible ink on the internet?

]

So unless you are typing with invisible ink there are no posts saying peak times, are there. This is the ones where Ebon Hawk was discussed.

Be careful when you say you said something because there will always be a person around to go back and check to check what you are saying.

*cough* owned *cough*.

]

I apologize. I thought you were from Shadowlands.

I apologize. I thought you were from Shadowlands.

But you are right. I don't think I have one good word to say about EH or BC. As far as I am concerned they are both useless to me. I played them both in the past when they were rocking. And 2 years ago they were decent servers. Actually had a republic guild and flagship on EH so I know both of those servers very well. And as far as them today for my play style they are useless. If I was forced to play either one of those server I would quit this game immediately and never look back. If the best servers population ever gets even close to either one of those toilets servers I will be long gone. Absolutely useless to me.

(Please note I said MY PLAY STYLE) I don't want to be misquoted once again. It seems people have a strange infatuation with misquoting me or taking what I say out of context.

Edited by MadCuzBad

That's a great news, thanks :)

I'm currently on the Red Eclipse and it's a bit too populated for me. I'm thinking of moving to a server where I can be almost on my own most of the time? Does anyone knows of one?

That's a great news, thanks :)

I'm currently on the Red Eclipse and it's a bit too populated for me. I'm thinking of moving to a server where I can be almost on my own most of the time? Does anyone knows of one?

If you want to be alone, go to Tomb of Freedon Nadd, it's literaly a tomb.