Character Transfer Sale 5/26 – 6/5

EricMusco

Meh. The only thing he said that I didn't believe is that he knows ten people.

So you agree with his "game is dead" mantra and spamming up the forums with a new variant thread every week? I don't and he has dug a huge and deep credibility hole over this ongoing forum drama.

Should EA/BW use social media and emails (to players who have opted in) to maximize notice of the new sale? Yeah, okay I guess.

Should players also take the initiative to alert former players about the sale? Sure, why not?

Will some (former or current) players fail to receive notice of the sale? You betcha!

Will we continue to see forum complaints about "dead" servers, guild transfers, and server mergers? Have you been paying attention at all?!

Will EA/BW include transferring Guild assets during the sale? Not a chance.

Will EA/BW ever introduce a way to transfer Guild assets? At this point, one may reasonably conclude that, if they could (and they wanted to), they would have by now.

Agree with all of the above, and I very much appreciate you presenting it objectively, and sans needless drama, hyperbole, and rhetorical entitlement demands. :)

Do I care about this at all? Dang right I do! The new sale deflates air out of the "Server Merger" balloon ... for a brief while at least.

I would say that them returning the sale for 10 days for all the procrastinators pretty well makes it clear they have no near term plans to close any servers, much less merge them.

Personally, I think they will wait until after the next expac release to assess where populations settle out. They could even promote and incentivize repopulation of the now dead former PvP servers... seeing as all server rules sets are equal now.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep pushing this agenda that it won't catch everyone. No one cares and no one has said it will. But it will reach more players than not doing it will. And it isn't MY responsibility to bring players back to the game, that is BW's agenda. If they don't care, then they won't communicate the information and it's apparent they don't care. Your comment that the player base is responsible for passing the information on is absolutely ridiculous.

The idea is a good one, even if MCB had a stupid reason for doing it. Whether his 10 imaginary people come back or not is irrelevant. E-mailing out the promotion would reach additional players and that can't be a bad thing.

Look.. bottom line.. for currently active players, who actually log in to the game.. the best way for the studio to reach out to them is to put it on the launcher, and encourage players to spread the word. Anything beyond that is probably more energy then it's worth in terms of actual positive results.

For people who left the game and are not actively playing... I really could care less if they get informed about the upcoming transfer discount or not. They clearly don't play, and in most cases it's probably because they are not getting the content they want right now, which is fine. No reason to snuggle them and hand hold them into coming back when the game does not meet their requirements. And if the only reason they "left" was because of "dead servers" then that was in the last two weeks, being as the 90cc was on for 10 months prior.... so clearly if that is their reason, they are trolling the internet to see if the 90cc is coming back or not.

Edited by Andryah

Meh. The only thing he said that I didn't believe is that he knows ten people.

So I am going to guess you think he was right about Ebon Hawk when he claimed he couldn't get a group for flashpoints or pvp?

Yet, when my boyfriend and I do it we get a group with no problem (even on our dps toons). Interesting that he can't but we can.

I find it very telling that he used a server that I have been on for years and still have no problem getting a group and people are chatting (sometimes wayyyyy too much ) in general chat.

So forgive me if I find him unbelievable when he uses the server I am on and have been on and tries to do that.

Even last night I had to shut general chat off when I was crafting in DK.

Edited by casirabit

So I am going to guess you think he was right about Ebon Hawk when he claimed he couldn't get a group for flashpoints or pvp?

Yet, when my boyfriend and I do it we get a group with no problem (even on our dps toons). Interesting that he can't but we can.

I find it very telling that he used a server that I have been on for years and still have no problem getting a group and people are chatting (sometimes wayyyyy too much ) in general chat.

So forgive me if I find him unbelievable when he uses the server I am on and have been on and tries to do that.

Yeah.. my issue with MCBs agenda is that he can and will make up alleged facts out of thin air to help prosecute his demand for a single mega server in each region. And if he is not getting enough attention, then he starts spamming new threads with different servers singled out as "dead". I simply cannot take such willful deceit seriously, nor anything they soapbox with it. Anyone in the forum that defends and supports his behaviors is part of the problem as well, IMO.

Edited by Andryah

So you agree with his "game is dead" mantra and spamming up the forums with a new variant thread every week? I don't and he has dug a huge and deep credibility hole over this ongoing forum drama.
No, I don't agree with his "game is dead" mantra. Nor his "game is dead" manifesto. Nor his "game is dead" moribundity. Nor any of his work scribing SWTOR's obituary.

I was referring to that one post in this one thread. I also confess that I stopped reading that one post once he claimed to "know 10 people" ... it just seemed so far-fetched.

If they are not subbed, why on earth should we care about them? I get that you do.. which is fine.. sooooooo let those 10 people know about it. Be part of the solution.... for your 10 beloved alleged acquaintances. ;)

There is no reason that they should not send an email and post about this on Facebook/Twitter.

Some former subs may still follow the game. This could get some back, or not. But, more importantly...

Many (most?) people who play this game do not regularly visit the forums. They need to do this to spread awareness for current players.

If they don't do what they can to spread the word, you know what happens the minute the sale ends.

Andryah;8941367][

Yeah.. my issue with MCBs agenda is that he can and will make up alleged facts out of thin air to help prosecute his demand for a single mega server in each region. And if he is not getting enough attention, then he starts spamming new threads with different servers singled out as "dead". I simply cannot take such willful deceit seriously, nor anything they soapbox with it. Anyone in the forum that defends and supports his behaviors is part of the problem as well, IMO.

See that's my problem. My best friend told me to judge the posts by the accuracy in them and if it gets to the point where there is no accuracy in them then we have to evaluate whether it is true or not. I don't have knowledge of other servers, and will not argue with someone that has more knowledge of that server but when it comes to the server I am on and have been on and I have direct proof opposite of what he's saying then his credibility comes into question.

She was on the forums for a long time and she never once argued over something she wasn't sure of . She only argue her opinion and what she believed but not when it came down to other servers or aspects of the game she never played. She the one that taught me to watch for credibility in a post first.

Edited by casirabit

I'm not against them sending an email broadcast. But as has been seen before, when they were doing CC give aways and other promotions via email.. A LOT of players either don't get the email because they did not opt in for emails, OR they ignore or miss the email completely.

I am against players sitting on their thumbs and demanding that the studio do everything, including letting other players know about the coming sale, which is completely optional for players to take part in. I'm pretty sure anyone who is butt hurt about the 90cc sale having ended is working social media and fan sites demanding a return of the sale. hence.. those people, who most want the sale, are already in the loop. Players spreading the word remains one of the best methods of commuications in the MMO world... regardless of the actual MMO in question.

Stop treating an email broadcast as a silver bullet, IMO. It's not. It misses many people, and most likely the people folks like MCB want to receive an email.

And stop treating the 90cc sale as some miracle to improve server populations. It won't. It will move the player populations around some, but it won't bring players back in droves.. that requires content that those players actually want.

You are correct on several points. In fact, I agree with everything you wrote, except that I just don't understand why you are so against the idea of BW using their current methods of communication to spread the word.

Yes, it is incumbent upon the players to notify their friends who might be interested. However, there is nothing lost by posting to social and blasting an email catch more.

As I noted in my previous post, I think these methods are important to catch current players as much (or more so) than former players.

No, I don't agree with his "game is dead" mantra. Nor his "game is dead" manifesto. Nor his "game is dead" moribundity. Nor any of his work scribing SWTOR's obituary.

I was referring to that one post in this one thread. I also confess that I stopped reading that one post once he claimed to "know 10 people" ... it just seemed so far-fetched.

I know.

I just kinda wanted you to put it on the record (rather then me speak for you) so more casual readers do not think you are propping up MCBs demands. :)

Edited by Andryah

Even last night I had to shut general chat off when I was crafting in DK.

Again, no. Not all. I'm on Ebon Hawk and I'm damn tired of tripping over other players to complete un-instanced Heroics.

That MCB posts some of the most inane flotsam on the forums doesn't make him wrong this one time, in this one thread:

How about send a mass email to all current subs and all cancelled subs. I know of about 10 people who will re sub to transfer toons and start playing this game again. You need to make this more public than asking people like me to spread the word. A lot of these people I have no way to contact outside of the game.
Sure, his initial position overreaches somewhat. And, okay, maybe he seems slothful in not wanting to shoulder any of the burden of notifying players he knows ... to the extent he can reach them. But how is asking EA/BW to send emails a bad idea per se? Edited by Thoronmir

You are correct on several points. In fact, I agree with everything you wrote, except that I just don't understand why you are so against the idea of BW using their current methods of communication to spread the word.

Yes, it is incumbent upon the players to notify their friends who might be interested. However, there is nothing lost by posting to social and blasting an email catch more.

As I noted in my previous post, I think these methods are important to catch current players as much (or more so) than former players.

As I stated earlier, I am not against any form of communications. I am against people demanding specific forms of communications as though it somehow makes a difference. If the studio posts it in sticky form on the forum and if they post it on the launcher, they have done their part for active subscribers.

Past results have shown that email is not a good way to get players informed. I'm not even sure it's a good marketing channel for promotions to be honest. Just check the old "I did not get my free CCs from the promotion, but I swear I am opted-in for emails" forum thread.

Encouraging players to spread the word will likely be more effective then either the forum post or a launcher message, but some players just want to sit on their thumbs and chide and complain about the studio no matter what it does or does not do.

Edited by Andryah

Again, no. Not all. I'm on Ebon Hawk and I'm damn tired of tripping over other players to complete un-instanced Heroics.

That MCB posts some of the most inane flotsam on the forums doesn't make him wrong this one time, in this one thread:Sure, his initial position overreaches somewhat. And, okay, maybe he seems slothful in not wanting to shoulder any of the burden of notifying players he knows ... to the extent he can reach them. But how is asking EA/BW to send emails a bad idea per se?

Not bad but hard to believe that he can't contact them or that he knows that many. As I stated I don't have a problem with them sending emails but I do have a problem believing anything that particular poster said.

And well sorry about my sorcerer tripping you (teasing) but you were in her way.

Edited by casirabit

I know.

I just kinda wanted you to put it on the record (rather then me speak for you) so more casual readers do not think you are propping up MCBs demands. :)

I assume a "casual reader" is a forumite who shuns "end game" forum activity, preferring to enjoy the forum for its story and non-competitive entertainment value?:confused:

Check your Messages. If I say what I want to here, the Moderators will slap my knuckles with a ruler.

As I stated earlier, I am not against any form of communications. I am against people demanding specific forms of communications as though it somehow makes a difference. If the studio posts it in sticky form on the forum and if they post it on the launcher, they have done their part for active subscribers.

Past results have shown that email is not a good way to get players informed. I'm not even sure it's a good marketing channel for promotions to be honest. Just check the old "I did not get my free CCs from the promotion, but I swear I am opted-in for emails" forum thread.

Encouraging players to spread the word will likely be more effective then either the forum post or a launcher message, but some players just want to sit on their thumbs and chide and complain about the studio no matter what it does or does not do.

So you're arguing just to argue? BW should use every communication means possible to let players know what's going on regardless of the "best" choice. We agree, now let's move towards getting BW to do more than post this on the forums.

So you're arguing just to argue?

No.. I am stating that putting a notice on the launcher and on the forum will reach way more players then an email. Email has proven to be fairly ineffective at reaching players as a method of communication (particularly on a timely basis, for a variety of reasons), so I simply do not advocate for it. Nor do I advocate that all communications that are in the interest of players be soley the responsibility of the studio. Players can and should spread the word, most especially players such as yourself.

But I get it... you refuse to listen to anyone who does not tow your personal stance on things, and will twist their statements to suit you. Keep on carrying on then. I'll just put you on ignore so you can join your personal fan and cheerleader TUXs.

Edited by Andryah

No.. I am stating that putting a notice on the launcher and on the forum will reach way more players then an email. Email has proven to be fairly ineffective at reaching players as a method of communication (particularly on a timely basis, for a variety of reasons), so I simply do not advocate for it. Nor do I advocate that all communications that are in the interest of players be soley the responsibility of the studio. Players can and should spread the word, most especially players such as yourself.

But I get it... you refuse to listen to anyone who does not tow your personal stance on things. Keep on carrying on then. I'll just put you on ignore so you can join your personal fan and cheerleader TUXs.

Not everyone is MCB. I'd be happy to let people know myself that I think would be interested. I'm sure players will bring it up in their guilds, etc. It just makes no sense not to utilize the e-mail avenue when it's available. If e-mail was somehow more expensive, then I could understand why they would choose not to use it, but clearly the amount of spam e-mails I get on some accounts is proof that it is an extremely inexpensive means of communication.

My best friend told me to judge the posts by the accuracy in them and if it gets to the point where there is no accuracy in them then we have to evaluate whether it is true or not.

That's why when I post on the forums, I stack a lot of accuracy. I know a lot of people post for power, but I've found that accuracy is power in that setting. Crit/Surge is kind of unnecessary because accuracy auto-crits.

;)

Edited by DarthOvertone

I think it's great that they are going to run the discount again. It is very harsh though on those that wish to change region, that never had the chance before of the discount to change region.

I appreciate there could be more work involved so a reduction to 500cc for region transfers would be a fair amount I'd have thought.

Please don't stick the boot into those that wish to change region. At least explain what the extra work involved is to justify the price.

But I get it... you refuse to listen to anyone who does not tow your personal stance on things, and will twist their statements to suit you. Keep on carrying on then. I'll just put you on ignore so you can join your personal fan and cheerleader TUXs.

Oh, come on! We're simply stating that taking advantage or more outlets increases the odds of reaching the greatest number of players.

Email is a stupidly cheap way to reach people. That is why there is no reason not to take advantage of it. No one's saying that an email blast will bring players back in droves so everyone can transfer to Harbinger and cause login queues (remember those?).

Just stating that email + launcher + forum + Facebook + Twitter is the best combo to get to people. In fact, I don't understand why they don't do this with ALL official communications.

I'll just put you on ignore so you can join your personal fan and cheerleader TUXs.

Sorry Jade, now you're being classified as being as bad as me by Andy...:rolleyes:

While we're in complete agreement on this topic, I would hardly call me your cheerleader...we've disagreed on plenty of topics in the past and I'm certain we'll disagree in the future. My respect for you isn't built off of one topic we agree on, nor am I shallow enough to dismiss you if we disagree on a topic...but someone likes to think putting us on his naughty list will somehow impact us.

Oh, come on! We're simply stating that taking advantage or more outlets increases the odds of reaching the greatest number of players.

Email is a stupidly cheap way to reach people. That is why there is no reason not to take advantage of it. No one's saying that an email blast will bring players back in droves so everyone can transfer to Harbinger and cause login queues (remember those?).

Just stating that email + launcher + forum + Facebook + Twitter is the best combo to get to people. In fact, I don't understand why they don't do this with ALL official communications.

Email is probably the worst way to communicate. Why? Because in every other case where they did announce something with a deadline via email... players will be back in the forum on June 6 stating the they did not see the email, or did not receive, it or did not read it in time, <insert any other lame excuse here>, and petition, whine, demand that Bioware give them a break and make and exception for them, or extend the sale because they are special, etc. etc. etc. Yes, yes, some will do this regardless.... but why use a channel that has failed over and over and over again and declare it a success move???

Again, I have no objection to emailing... but all you (and a few others) want to do is stomp on my comments for pointing out that there are multiple and better ways to reach out to the player base then email, and that email for this sort of thing is historically ineffective.

I know.. soooooo sinful of me to explore the implications of putting everyone's attention on email when history shows from many forum threads over the years that people either don't receive, or don't read, or read too late, or lose it in their spam filter, etc. etc. etc.

How about we agree to disagree.. since this **** can keep going back and forth forever.. and well beyond the sale period of the transfers. ;)

Edited by Andryah

Email is probably the worst way to communicate. Why? Because in every other case where they did announce something with a deadline via email... players will be back in the forum on June 6 stating the they did not see the email, or did not receive, it or did not read it in time, <insert any other lame excuse here>, and petition, whine, demand that Bioware give them a break and make and exception for them, or extend the sale because they are special, etc. etc. etc. Yes, yes, some will do this regardless.... but why use a channel that has failed over and over and over again and declare it a success move???

Again, I have no objection to emailing... but all you (and a few others) want to do is stomp on my comments for pointing out that there are multiple and better ways to reach out to the player base then email, and that email for this sort of thing is historically ineffective.

I know.. soooooo sinful of me to explore the implications of putting everyone's attention on email when history shows from many forum threads over the years that people either don't receive, or don't read, or read too late, or lose it in their spam filter, etc. etc. etc.

How about we agree to disagree.. since this **** can keep going back and forth forever.. and well beyond the sale period of the transfers. ;)

Read all this thread and it seems to be back and forward with no real progress being made what so ever.

To your point on people missing the email and complaining ... isn't it safe to say if there is no email at all and they catch wind of it they'll do the same?

Also for them to whinge at all they have to be subscribers and I believe most of the people advocating ADDING email as an option is to catch the non subscribers so those that miss the email probably will never think anything more of it and if they do I don't think they are going to resub solely to whinge about it but stranger things have happened. That leaves current subs - if it's via email, launcher, reddit, social media etc. they really don't have a leg to stand on in complaining on "not knowing" though no doubt they'll do it any way which leaves my final point on the whinging factor ... just don't read those topics if they are too bothersome. ;)

I think they should put it out there in any form they can, the more information spread the better and we can deal with the whingers afterwards ... I almost look forward to shooting anyone down who tries to play "I didn't know card" if communication was put out there in all forms.

I still advocate this whole thing as a money grab anyway and arguing over "should they email or not" detracts from the bigger issue imo which is what to do about the dead servers with my stance being players on those servers should get permanent 1 way free transfers but that's just my opinion.