Character Transfer Sale 5/26 – 6/5

EricMusco

Google makes money because many many people are happy to use their products.

Don't confuse users as customers. Google makes money because people buy Ad Words, license search technology, and buy smart phones.

Sure, many people use the Google search engine for free. But, it's the people paying for all the ads on the search engine that make it profitable. Just using the thing does nothing for them. Using it and clicking on an Ad or a top-rated search result, however, does.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was merely commenting on your statement - I never said Bioware should give anything away for free (except Character Transfers):

I named two major companies that DO give their "main" service away for "free" because they've found ways to capitalize off other sources of revenue from you. I don't quite understand Microsoft's approach yet, but I'm certain they have a long term plan. By all accounts I'd say Google and Microsoft are both fairly successful companies...

No you MISTAKENLY listed 2 companies. Microsoft doesnt give anything away for free, except maybe a 30 day trial. And NONE of Googles services are free, they are used to bring in advertisers, and THEY PAY the price for the free apps.

So basically, you tried to counter it, and failed.

Don't confuse users as customers. Google makes money because people buy Ad Words, license search technology, and buy smart phones.

Sure, many people use the Google search engine for free. But, it's the people paying for all the ads on the search engine that make it profitable. Just using the thing does nothing for them. Using it and clicking on an Ad or a top-rated search result, however, does.

FINALLY...someone gets it.

No you MISTAKENLY listed 2 companies. Microsoft doesnt give anything away for free, except maybe a 30 day trial. And NONE of Googles services are free, they are used to bring in advertisers, and THEY PAY the price for the free apps.

So basically, you tried to counter it, and failed.

Where do I go to buy a gmail account? Or to buy Google Keep? Where do I buy Google Maps from?

Edited by TUXs

I was merely commenting on your statement - I never said Bioware should give anything away for free (except Character Transfers):

I named two major companies that DO give their "main" service away for "free" because they've found ways to capitalize off other sources of revenue from you. I don't quite understand Microsoft's approach yet, but I'm certain they have a long term plan. By all accounts I'd say Google and Microsoft are both fairly successful companies...

As far as I know, BW DOES give their "main" service (with regards to SWTOR) away for FREE. That "main" service is the 8 stories and up to level 50. Do they also offer an opportunity to subscribe in order to play with all the bells and whistles? Yes, but that subscription is NOT necessary to enjoy the core game, or "main service".

The last time I checked, server transfers were hardly BW's "main" service.

As far as I know, BW DOES give their "main" service (with regards to SWTOR) away for FREE. That "main" service is the 8 stories and up to level 50. Do they also offer an opportunity to subscribe in order to play with all the bells and whistles? Yes, but that subscription is NOT necessary to enjoy the core game, or "main service".

The last time I checked, server transfers were hardly BW's "main" service.

But, the fact remains that that so-called "main service" would not be available for "free" if other people were not paying for it (and more).

The freeloaders will always be riding on the coattails of those who pay.

But, the fact remains that that so-called "main service" would not be available for "free" if other people were not paying for it (and more).

The freeloaders will always be riding on the coattails of those who pay.

I do not disagree with this. In addition, it seems the freeloaders are never satisfied and are always demanding more.

I do not disagree with this. In addition, it seems the freeloaders are never satisfied and are always demanding more.

Your incessant name calling is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not a "freeloader" and no player has been more loyally than I have. I'm also not stupid, I understand that this games player base has eroded and shrunk over the years and if we have any hope of getting some of those players to return to the game, the last thing we can afford to do is punish them for picking the wrong server...likely a server they've been moved to involuntarily by Bioware at some point in the past.

I'm one of the people asking, not demanding, that something be done to ensure that any player who returns, has a chance to become a sub. The current punitive fee to move, drives those potential players away.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally don't watch the forums, I don't like that my forum name is my login name and I can't resist the urge to reply when I do read them.

1,000cc will make me stuck on one server unless I start with ground zero with a new character on a different one. The price is over 10x the previous cost! :mad: Why so much? I can't afford to buy coins as it is and the monthly allowance for being a subscriber is like real gold to me. One month's worth of coins I could do, I could skip my one pack and boosts, but 2 months? Not everyone can afford to spend a enough to buy a boat load of packs at a time, or a pre-made character. At least with a character transfer I could take the character I was playing to other server to do OPS or help a friend or such, and when I was done I could bring her back to my regular haunt.

My first thought was that you are doing this to prevent the gold sellers from transporting money around, but they can afford to transfer no matter what the cost. I've watched gold farmers since WoW in vanilla, they aren't going to change because the price goes up.

I generally don't watch the forums, I don't like that my forum name is my login name and I can't resist the urge to reply when I do read them.

1,000cc will make me stuck on one server unless I start with ground zero with a new character on a different one. The price is over 10x the previous cost! :mad: Why so much?

Short version 90CC was a sale, not the regular price. The old regular price was 1800CC.

Furthermore $10 is right in line with MMO server transfer costs.

In regards to Google, the company makes most of it's revenue through advertising: source Google.

We have now passed the era of 90cc server transfers and entered the era of server mergers. That is if you are stuck on a 'dead' server it is time for you to push for server mergers.

• 4 weeks later...
When is the next transfer sale??? Will it be 90 cartel coins again? Everyone left the server that I was on and I feel like leaving the game all together. I don't think Bioware will do a server merge as it is bad for public relations. The least thing they can do is bring the sale back on character transfer for subscribers. After all we are they last group of repeat customers that have been supporting this game since Beta. Bioware should listen to its paying customers.

When is the next transfer sale??? Will it be 90 cartel coins again? Everyone left the server that I was on and I feel like leaving the game all together. I don't think Bioware will do a server merge as it is bad for public relations. The least thing they can do is bring the sale back on character transfer for subscribers. After all we are they last group of repeat customers that have been supporting this game since Beta. Bioware should listen to its paying customers.

Agreed. I came back but am about to quit for good because I refuse to pay to get off an absolutely dead and barren server. Not merging or at the very least allowing free transfers shows their greed and how they're trying to milk the game for every last cent before it completely dies.

why u pick up an old post? seems like u didnt noticed that pvp server are ghost towns for month.

and why should they bring back cheaper transfer? i mean, it was a nice thing but the train is gone bro.

tbh bioware wont listen. they never did. only 10% of all of us dont care what they bring up for us. im glad to play swtor, as star wars fan a must have. i feel u when u when u say " bioware should listen ". but mimimi wont help when stuff are coming and go what we dont need like this D vs L event