Blizzard does it better...

Princess_Chibi

So patch 2.4 for Blizzard's Diablo 3 released last night. And with it came the option to purchase more storage tabs; the third storage expansion for a single-purchase non-subscription game since its launch with more unique items and graphics for gear than SWTOR has by far.

And with this "incredibly complex and challenging" release, it begs the question, when will SWTOR see its next storage expansion increase? The GTN on any given server now have 100+ pages of augments, and materials for augs as well as mk-8 kits (components specifically) are priced in the gutter as those are one-time purchase items which never require replacement and hardly ever require repair.

As a result there are pages of mats, prices WELL below their averages for the last 3 years (I'm sure a contributing factor is more token-60 noob crafters entering the economy with no effort and heading straight for high end schematics). The smart choice is to diversify as a crafter, which requires boatloads of materials, which requires.........................................wait for it...................................................S-T-O-R-A-G-E.

There's the question in a nutshell, why can a game without ongoing subscriber funding, a smaller support team, who is notorious for long release windows with little to no information (Blizzard is the poster-child for this) STILL able to manage superior, beneficial releases with a higher QoL increase than SWTOR that has greater resources?

Let's count:

1. Diablo has thousands if not tens of thousands of unique items, few of which are reskins; SWTOR reskins virtually everything. And when there is a unique release, it goes straight to Cartel Market for cash shop payments (instead of to crafters or RNG drops), and further are some of the ugliest POS sets known to humankind.

2. Diablo has increased storage and stack sizes three or four times since launch, SWTOR...does cross-server character transfers count as storage?

3. Diablo managed to go through an entire life of full support auction house; SWTOR just continues to release trash on CM regularly; and even got overconfident enough to drop box contents to 25% of their original volume because "reasons".

4. Diablo has balanced PvP nearly a dozen times since release. SWTOR *crickets*.

5. Diablo just released an entire new region, expanded two existing areas to create two new full zones, balanced all classes, redesigned high end gear, created multiple legendary sets, continues to expand jewel selection, added new gold sinks with player benefits (one of which was a 500k gold storage tab increase) and that's just in their last 6 months and ON TOP of their expansions to date (CONTENTZ). SWTOR.....level sync'd people who didn't want it?

6. Diablo has an endgame that permits ongoing growth in the form of experience increases, stat buffs, exponential levels and in doing so paired with their RNG, provides enough unique content to buy themselves time until their next batch of high end gear sets and seasonal legendaries are ready. SWTOR.......has alliance crates for 20 levels and then?

7. Blizzard tests their releases before they enter production, Bioware screwed up companions, then patched them to screw them more, and we're waiting for the next patch to finish screwing them entirely.

8. Diablo adds new abilities and options at least twice a year permitting new builds and options for its players. SWTOR makes any abilities, stats, options irrelevant in level sync as you don't have the stats to make the most of them, AND doesn't bother retooling existing classes outside of nerfs, let alone creating brand new ones.

9. When Diablo hit a hard wall with increasing stats and further customizing characters, they provided player-customization to add desirable affixes (Zultan Kul) sharply increasing what a player could do for damage outside of straight leveling, AND in doing so created a new economy for finding rare items and reverse-engineering them for their inherent powers. SWTOR........Hell, I don't even know.

10. Diablo allows that no matter how powerful your companions gets (even to the point of true-never-dying immortality) it will always be useful, without surpassing the potential damage the player themselves can deal out. In SWTOR, either your comp is OP, or it's useless. If it's not OP, it can't heal itself quickly enough to be useful, and if it isn't OP, then it doesn't even draw some aggro before it hits the floor. There is no middle ground, and since equipment can't be customized, it has no other utility aside from selling your trash grays.

So why can a little-supported single player game with hardly a fraction of the resources that SWTOR has as one of the world's most popular IP's do these things so much better than BW? Contemplate.

Edited by Princess_Chibi

Even Dcuo as small as it is on the pc side has massive changes coming up that just embarrass what is going on around here. Coming to Xbox 1 in Spring 2016, PS4/PC Crossplay on the 25th of this month, New content next month with multiple story lines instead of a one size fits all for everyone no matter what. Not to mention a brand new power coming out as well as the multiple powers they released in the past year. And this isn't even everything. I am actually really disappointed in Bioware. I never thought I would see the day where I praised anything that was attached to SoE. :(

1. Diablo has thousands if not tens of thousands of unique items, few of which are reskins; SWTOR reskins virtually everything. And when there is a unique release, it goes straight to Cartel Market for cash shop payments (instead of to crafters or RNG drops), and further are some of the ugliest POS sets known to humankind.

I will give you that Diablo does not re-skin a lot of their items, but yes they do in fact re-skin some. Though when it comes to legendary or set pieces most are unique. There are some 60 & 70 items that are the same, but with updated stats, and some lower level uniques that are re-skinned normal items. Where as SWtOR is essentially the epitome of re-skins, and a lot of items that are so similar that they might as well be re-skins as well. So much that it's really quite sad. However to say that Diablo has thousands of "unique" items is kind of stretching it, and pretty much out right lying with tens of thousands remark. Unless you're talking about the stats combinations these provide, which just can't be compared in any mmo to an arpg and a very different topic due to the nature of how arpgs work. As far as looks wise go, there's probably a little over a thousand different looks between weapons and armor, and that's mostly because the same base armor looks different on different classes, though that's not true for legendary or set items, which just have their own unique look and that's that.

You can count them all here if you like since Blizz is kind enough to list them.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/helm/#type=set

If you do remember not to count crafted. As the crafted set and legendary pieces are also listed in the set / legendary sections, and the blues and yellows are just base items with actual stats. So you'd only be double dipping here if you do.

2. Diablo has increased storage and stack sizes three or four times since launch, SWTOR...does cross-server character transfers count as storage?

It has increased storage. This is either the second or third time it's been done. I think 2nd honestly. Originally it started at 3 storage spaces, then moved to 5, (so that's 1) and now this increase gives another additional storage unit bringing it up to 6 (for the 2nd increase). Also I believe SWtOR has increased it once as well, though it's been a while so don't quote me on it. Either way a free game is leading this section is still sad, but again D3 hadn't done it 4 times as you claim.

3. Diablo managed to go through an entire life of full support auction house; SWTOR just continues to release trash on CM regularly; and even got overconfident enough to drop box contents to 25% of their original volume because "reasons".

Not even sure what exactly you're trying to say here so umm ya. Although bringing up the D3 AH probably won't help your argument due to how ****** that was.

4. Diablo has balanced PvP nearly a dozen times since release. SWTOR *crickets*.

Are we playing the same Diablo game? PvP in D3? Really? Who's pvping, and what exactly was changed, aside from damage adjustments done by players. Swtor does alter pvp, just in a really, sad and pathetic way. I'm not giving them any credit here, they need to hire a team that has a clue, but to say that the pvp meta hasn't changed is also kind of stupid.

5. Diablo just released an entire new region, expanded two existing areas to create two new full zones, balanced all classes, redesigned high end gear, created multiple legendary sets, continues to expand jewel selection, added new gold sinks with player benefits (one of which was a 500k gold storage tab increase) and that's just in their last 6 months and ON TOP of their expansions to date (CONTENTZ). SWTOR.....level sync'd people who didn't want it?

They did a lot of good things this patch, yes. But let's not pretend that last patch of D3 was a god send or anything. You either played a barb, a monk, or you were one of the other 4 worthless classes. Witch Doctors were good, but not that good, and they had bugs for a good portion of the last patch. I don't even know if they ever fixed those bugs for Witch Doctors after I left season 4, and that lasted from mid Aug till just last week. Expansions take time. KofTE didn't come out all that long ago either, and a new chapter is suppossed to be here soon. Yes believe it or not, not everything can be released instantly.

6. Diablo has an endgame that permits ongoing growth in the form of experience increases, stat buffs, exponential levels and in doing so paired with their RNG, provides enough unique content to buy themselves time until their next batch of high end gear sets and seasonal legendaries are ready. SWTOR.......has alliance crates for 20 levels and then?

Though Diablo 3 added torment levels 7-10 for season 4 which were helpful. Diablo's end game really consisted of fishing for the right greater rift, to beat someone else out on ladder. Once you got into the high 60s low 70s GR area, it was all about fishing for the right GR. Some managed to get a bit further than that, but again fishing, right shrines, right bosses, everything essentially has to go your way, not to mention only 1/3 of the classes could really do that, and even then the ones who pushed the highest GR were barbarians, monks were still a bit behind. That aside the end game was the same thing over and over again. I'm not saying that SWtOR has a great end game. It doesn't., but there's more to do here at end game then there is in D3. Not to mention that the two games are very different in nature of what their end game is all about.

7. Blizzard tests their releases before they enter production, Bioware screwed up companions, then patched them to screw them more, and we're waiting for the next patch to finish screwing them entirely.

I think Blizzard over all does a much better job than Bioware, won't argue that. However their far from perfect. I could name off many things that D3 screwed up, despite months of beta testing new patches, and player feed back.

8. Diablo adds new abilities and options at least twice a year permitting new builds and options for its players. SWTOR makes any abilities, stats, options irrelevant in level sync as you don't have the stats to make the most of them, AND doesn't bother retooling existing classes outside of nerfs, let alone creating brand new ones.

I don't know about adding new abilities. They've changed how a few abilities worked, and renamed them you never really got extra abilities aside from when RoS launched The big thing they do change is gear, and the bonuses it provides. Sets undergo changes in every patch, and since set items provide set bonuses, much in the same way raid sets do so here, but there they really matter. This changes a whole spec, for a class. Legendary items also undergo changes, and just 1 or 2 big item changes create a lot more diversity in specs. I agree that here Star Wars went completely backwards. Instead of giving more diversity, and options, they went out of their way to idiot proof things. Removing talent trees, to dumb down choices, only giving players a few idiotic utility choices. No more stats (just mastery) no more crit / surge just crit stat. Def on every def gear, just a lot of stupid changes. I give you that, and I feel that these changes are not for the better, so I suppose that's another point I give you.

9. When Diablo hit a hard wall with increasing stats and further customizing characters, they provided player-customization to add desirable affixes (Zultan Kul) sharply increasing what a player could do for damage outside of straight leveling, AND in doing so created a new economy for finding rare items and reverse-engineering them for their inherent powers. SWTOR........Hell, I don't even know.

Agree here as well. Even before Kanai's Cube (what you call Zultan Kul) there was the paragon system, back before Reaper of Souls. SW added the legacy system, which had so much potential but pretty much fell flat on it's ***. I understand wanting to keep an even playing field in an mmo, vs an arpg, but come on.

10. Diablo allows that no matter how powerful your companions gets (even to the point of true-never-dying immortality) it will always be useful, without surpassing the potential damage the player themselves can deal out. In SWTOR, either your comp is OP, or it's useless. If it's not OP, it can't heal itself quickly enough to be useful, and if it isn't OP, then it doesn't even draw some aggro before it hits the floor. There is no middle ground, and since equipment can't be customized, it has no other utility aside from selling your trash grays.

Though I don't like the removal of gear on companions, I completely 100% disagree that companions ever feel useless. From the get go, they feel over powered to me. There's never been an instance where I think wow my companion really sucks, I wish they were better. Hence I'm going to have to disagree with your point. With D3 companions, them never dying is from an item alone, and a much needed one. Ever see your companion on GR 55+? They get one shotted and wait 20s to res. It was the only way to make them not worthless. I actually think that D3 should of made that standard so the other items, giving access to both trees or lowering the cd on abilities for them could be a choice, because right now there isn't one at end game. It's they can't die or nothing else.

So why can a little-supported single player game with hardly a fraction of the resources that SWTOR has as one of the world's most popular IP's do these things so much better than BW? Contemplate.

I wish I knew. It's not that I don't agree with you, but I think you could of made your point just fine with out over exaggerating things in your first few points, and then cooling off and making a lot more sense in your later points. Truly it is sad, that where as Diablo is a real f2p game, SW pushes a sub on you along with the cartel market, and still doesn't do half the things as well. Maybe it comes down to the people in charge. I mean take a look at the state of the game when Jay WIllson was in charge. Oh my fn God, what a disaster that was. Maybe each game, regardless of money just requires a dedicated team with a leader who's capable of making the right decisions be at the helm. Cause otherwise I have no clue.

Dont forget that blizzard implement some of the dumbest mechanics here and there that any other game can hardly beat or fails to do something that needs to be done which is as obvious as your screen. The level of incompetence some of the devs display over there is mind blowing.

For example D3 has no font outline. Most of the in combat text is unreadable. Same goes for the chat in wow and D3. Or the blinking inventory button from hell... Seriously... THE most annoying "feature" of the game that I had to get a small tool to put a tiny picture in its place because Im used to pay attention to blinking buttons because they almost every time indicate something of importance.

On the other hand blizzard does fix bugs rather earlier than later and doesnt leave the most obvious issues untouched. From the top of my head I cant name something thats years old and didnt get fixed like the (swtor) camera speed bug and the robe glitches.

And yes, EVERY blizzard game with online content and with not enough inventory space has some wierd "we must limit all space and make up excuses to not increase it even when there is desperate need of it" rule. Blizzard is very consistant about that for no reason.

Edited by Zasszz

All I have to say is if you love Blizzard so much, go support them and stop trolling here. A lot of the complaints about this game are childish and along the lines of "This is broken, fix it." or "That sucks." Without any real feedback or solutions to make a positive change.

All I have to say is if you love Blizzard so much, go support them and stop trolling here. A lot of the complaints about this game are childish and along the lines of "This is broken, fix it." or "That sucks." Without any real feedback or solutions to make a positive change.

Unfortunately that's what most posts are here these days Porsa :( Just whining and complaining without offering solutions or constructive criticism!

What do you mean "no real feedback or solutions"?

He just basically said:

- Improve Companions

- Add more good looking items

- improve the storage system (size etc)

- add more maps (agree completely)

- test your game better before you release new content (super valid point)

- Make sure that there is no single spec that player has to use to be viable

Most of these things were talked about before the release, before the Beta even released. I know, cos I was part of these discussions. Don't tell me there was no solution given. There were thousands of solutions given, and plenty of constructive feedback.

Nothing changed.

I have to say, seeing Bioware rip off other RPGs than WoW for a change is quite refreshing. I was hoping for that level downscale for various zones. I like that a lot. I hope they rip off more features from other MMOs. A bit of a sarcasm here, but I really do like the downscaling system now. I can skip the boring zones like Taris etc.

So yeah, PLENTY of solutions, but nobody to listen. Never! They never listen, seriously.

Even Dcuo as small as it is on the pc side has massive changes coming up that just embarrass what is going on around here. Coming to Xbox 1 in Spring 2016, PS4/PC Crossplay on the 25th of this month, New content next month with multiple story lines instead of a one size fits all for everyone no matter what. Not to mention a brand new power coming out as well as the multiple powers they released in the past year. And this isn't even everything. I am actually really disappointed in Bioware. I never thought I would see the day where I praised anything that was attached to SoE. :(
You really shouldn't use DCUO as an example, except for maybe to show how things can get better.

DCUO just had it's worst year in it's 5 year history, it is still unknown if things are getting better yet.

First Sony sold SOE to Columbus Nova (an investment company), to which SOE changed it's name to Daybreak Game Company (DGC). The sale itself wasn't a bad thing, it actually was a great thing but the whole trying to regain their footing during and after the dust settled really derailed everything. People were laid off, projects were put on hold or outright cancelled and many bad decisions kept happening.

Then there was Game Update 47 that nearly killed the game. The population had already been going down but when that launched the damn broke and people were quitting in droves. The whole of the update was a very needed thing but a few things dealing with progression and character strength just didn't sit well.

Those are just the 2 big things but there were tons of smaller things that kept making things worst. Any of this sound a bit familiar?

As for what is happening this year. Yes Xbox and the Cross Play are big things but it has been known about for over a year now and things aren't perfect with them. Getting a new power is nothing new, they have been doing 1 to 2 (in rotation) powers a year since the game launched but sadly they are at the limit for powers, memory space wise now, so there wont be anymore after this coming one.

Like I said if things are getting better with DCUO then it should be used as an example of how SWTOR can still have hope things will get better. Not as a way to put down SWTOR and BW.

Don't quote something out of context. It only makes you look foolish.

What was taken out of context? I don't understand.

You post another "stop whining, you're not helping" to protect your precious lie that this game does not need anybody to tell you it's got issues. It's got huge issues.

OP posted valid points and they sort of have solutions within themselves already, but you refuse to see it, being in your usual defense mode of "how dare they say bad things about this game? Whiners".

What the ****? I'm pretty sure the only one who looks foolish is you right now.

I was quoted out of context. I said "A lot of complaints..." in that statement, but it was conveniently left out of the response. I never disputed what the OP said.

Now you're the one playing the fool.

I never disputed what the OP said

Riiiiight.

What was taken out of context? I don't understand.

You post another "stop whining, you're not helping" to protect your precious lie that this game does not need anybody to tell you it's got issues. It's got huge issues.

OP posted valid points and they sort of have solutions within themselves already, but you refuse to see it, being in your usual defense mode of "how dare they say bad things about this game? Whiners".

QFE!!! Exactly what his type do all the time.

I was quoted out of context. I said "A lot of complaints..." in that statement, but it was conveniently left out of the response. I never disputed what the OP said.

Now you're the one playing the fool.

So why did you come to THIS thread to say that OTHER threads have childish complaints?

This one does have very good and valid points and yet you used it to whine a bit about other people.

It's a funny vicious circle - we whine about the game, you whine about the people that whine about the game.

I actually think that people trying to silence people with issues with the game are the ones that should feel foolish.

I remember seeing replies from other people like "if you don't like the game, leave" and look at the game now. Only a few servers left, subs super low, game still buggy, dumbed down and still just a WoW star wars copy. People abandoned it, just like you fanboys wanted.

What do you mean "no real feedback or solutions"?

He just basically said:

- Improve Companions

- Add more good looking items

- improve the storage system (size etc)

- add more maps (agree completely)

- test your game better before you release new content (super valid point)

- Make sure that there is no single spec that player has to use to be viable

Most of these things were talked about before the release, before the Beta even released. I know, cos I was part of these discussions. Don't tell me there was no solution given. There were thousands of solutions given, and plenty of constructive feedback.

Nothing changed.

I have to say, seeing Bioware rip off other RPGs than WoW for a change is quite refreshing. I was hoping for that level downscale for various zones. I like that a lot. I hope they rip off more features from other MMOs. A bit of a sarcasm here, but I really do like the downscaling system now. I can skip the boring zones like Taris etc.

So yeah, PLENTY of solutions, but nobody to listen. Never! They never listen, seriously.

The problem is, all that costs money, then he *****es about the way BW raises said money (Cartel market). It's like he expects them to pull a programming miracle out of the dev skeleton crew's ***. Well, that powerball drawing is tonight in Texas, maybe BW Austin will win.

The problem is, all that costs money, then he *****es about the way BW raises said money (Cartel market). It's like he expects them to pull a programming miracle out of the dev skeleton crew's ***. Well, that powerball drawing is tonight in Texas, maybe BW Austin will win.

BW raised money via subscription over a year before Cartel Market existed. Diablo3 has none of those funds and STILL does it better. Then BW has CM on top of subscription money and STILL can't manage to pull even half the quality of Blizzard.

So your argument is weak. If a true F2P company can manage such feats with a fraction of the team and resources BW has available to it, and WITHOUT making its customers pay for the privilege, there's no excuse. If BW has a skeleton crew and is STILL collecting our money, whereas Blizzard isn't, then BW is failing to hire and perform the work functions needed to maintain the game. Again, the fault of BW, not the players.

If you're done making weak excuses for BW, you can begin thinking through some of the comments you make, and seeing the flaws everyone else finds in them.

Edited by Princess_Chibi

Yeah, because the EA revenue of 4.515 billion USD, wasn't enough in 2015. EA is just some poor little mom and pop shop of Devs, working hard to win the hearts and minds of their loyal, deserving customers.

:rolleyes:

So patch 2.4 for Blizzard's Diablo 3 released last night. And with it came the option to purchase more storage tabs; the third storage expansion for a single-purchase non-subscription game since its launch with more unique items and graphics for gear than SWTOR has by far.

And with this "incredibly complex and challenging" release, it begs the question, when will SWTOR see its next storage expansion increase? The GTN on any given server now have 100+ pages of augments, and materials for augs as well as mk-8 kits (components specifically) are priced in the gutter as those are one-time purchase items which never require replacement and hardly ever require repair.

As a result there are pages of mats, prices WELL below their averages for the last 3 years (I'm sure a contributing factor is more token-60 noob crafters entering the economy with no effort and heading straight for high end schematics). The smart choice is to diversify as a crafter, which requires boatloads of materials, which requires.........................................wait for it...................................................S-T-O-R-A-G-E.

There's the question in a nutshell, why can a game without ongoing subscriber funding, a smaller support team, who is notorious for long release windows with little to no information (Blizzard is the poster-child for this) STILL able to manage superior, beneficial releases with a higher QoL increase than SWTOR that has greater resources?

Let's count:

You missed out the superior crafting system in D3, as well as the ability to craft gear with set bonuses.

As to the end part of your question? Blizzard have been creating the Diablo series longer than the Austin studio has been in existence (including the failed previous MMO they buggered up). Aside from the initial blip at launch with D3, and having to sort out a few developer issues (they simply moved certain devs away from the studio for FAILURE, unlike Austin), D3 has developed into a nice little game. They even do story better.

The excuse of the company not being able to afford anything is just a joke, right?

With the budget they had at release, with all the subs they had, with EA owning the game.

Truth is - they released the game in a broken, useless engine, they copied WoW to "play it safe" (I am almost quoting one of the Devs from interviews before the release), and now they can't add anything that is innovative cos they don't know how.

You can tell Blizzard cares about giving the people their money's worth. BioWare just coasts along with no real clue as to what to do and ignore us so called "trolls" as we just hate the game.

I wonder what game is still going to be around next year?