Bring Dampening to SWTOR Arenas. Sorcerer's Force Barrier is the cancer of Arena

Jakev-

Word of Warcraft did it right, why did bioware not take this idea from blizzard like they stole almost everything else.. This one actually works well.

Copy World of Warcraft:

Remove Acid

Remove Rounds

Put in Dampening: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Dampening

Add Vision crystals to see stealthers in stealth so they cannot troll

Results:

Sorcs can't win in acid from barrier because there is no acid.

Faster games

Faster queue pops

Other healers may be viable along with sorcerers (who am I kidding mercs will never be viable.. just operative)

Dampening Definition for people who don't want to click the link or have never played World of Warcraft:

Dampening begins after 5 minutes after a 4v4 match begins. After dampening starts each player will gain a stack of the debuff every 10 seconds, reducing healing received and damage absorption effects by 1% per stack.

Edited by Jakev-

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing with dampening though is that it would only effect certain classes. I could agree if there were certain team compositions (like if each team had 2 dps 1 heal 1 tank). But reduced healing wouldn't really effect maras or snipers as much, since they don't really ave DCDs that give them extra heals, compared with other classes, where it's part of their DCD rotation.

Probably something better would be across the board. However, dampening is also effected by class balance as well... so...

Maybe if they made it so that your DCD abilities are silenced?

Edited by MasterFeign

why remove rounds? In any competition sport or game, rounds are very important you know.

For faster queues? It would just give the illusion of more gameplay by increasing the cycle acceleration of who is in or out, and that is only for sitations with very few player queueing, because it would benefit the maximum of 7 players (as 8 are required for the matchmaking system to start a match) who are qing and waiting outside.

Also arenas are very quick already, having a round system enables people to rethink their strategies and stimulates creativity; while also reducing the chances of bugs/lag/similar problems ruining the chances of the superior team.

btw solo ranked is awesome ^_^ only the best players (or learning ones ;p) go there... you have to be ready and mature enough to: hear legit (or non-legit) criticism, to not cast blame, to improve in the worst of situations, to analyze your own mistakes. :cool:

People who like ranked are probably very mature in a way similar to what i said, or they simply like the chaos. haha

Edited by James_Mcturney

why remove rounds?

btw solo ranked is awesome ^_^

because dampening could cause some group ranked matches to go on for over 20 minutes (its restricted to about 15 atm)

WoW arenas commonly end within the first 2 minutes there are outliers... sometimes one team is just better than the other and it ends in the first 10 seconds where someone gets globalled... sometimes the teams are equally matched and the game goes for 8 minutes

SWTOR group ranked goes to or near acid nearly every game against evenly skilled teams.

This will have 0 effect on solo ranked matches unless its a Tank/Healer/2DPS game which I would love as a tank because I'm so tired of losing in solo ranked to acid barrier. Solo ranked is aids, I was the highest rated PT for the first 3-4 weeks of season 6 in solo ranked and gave up CBA to spend half an hour in queue as a tank anymore. Id love for faster queue pops.

4 DPS

3 DPS 1 Healer will only make it to acid if the dps are complete and utter garbage.

tl;dr plz stop listening to sub 1500 players and listen to actual good players that have been at the top of the leaderboards before (1500 was the top 5% in this game in season one thats *********** pathetic) - from Atense Rank One Powertech in Group Ranked Season One.

because dampening could cause some group ranked matches to go on for over 20 minutes (its restricted to about 15 atm)

WoW arenas commonly end within the first 2 minutes there are outliers... sometimes one team is just better than the other and it ends in the first 10 seconds where someone gets globalled... sometimes the teams are equally matched and the game goes for 8 minutes

SWTOR group ranked goes to or near acid nearly every game against evenly skilled teams.

This will have 0 effect on solo ranked matches unless its a Tank/Healer/2DPS game which I would love as a tank because I'm so tired of losing in solo ranked to acid barrier. Solo ranked is aids, I was the highest rated PT for the first 3-4 weeks of season 6 in solo ranked and gave up CBA to spend half an hour in queue as a tank anymore. Id love for faster queue pops.

4 DPS

3 DPS 1 Healer will only make it to acid if the dps are complete and utter garbage.

tl;dr plz stop listening to sub 1500 players and listen to actual good players that have been at the top of the leaderboards before (1500 was the top 5% in this game in season one thats *********** pathetic) - from Atense Rank One Powertech in Group Ranked Season One.

Group ranked matches only go that long if the healers are both sorcs

Group ranked matches only go that long if the healers are both sorcs

Nah, they go on that long because of the existence of guard. If they redesigned guard things would change significantly and different comps outside of hard swap/dot pressure would pop up, but whatever.

That said, they just need to make it so barrier can't bypass the acid mechanic like it does. If BW tried to implement dampening it would probably be a broken mess like bolster is.

So every 4s game

haha

Also, the OP's argument before this was really elistist and meritocratic..... being ranked or good in the past doesn't mean much, specially without cross server... The guy was better than what, 50 other tanks who were actually trying to make the top? Not saying it was bad, just noting that this flawed argument is not even that good for matching it's own principle.

haha

Also, the OP's argument before this was really elistist and meritocratic..... being ranked or good in the past doesn't mean much, specially without cross server... The guy was better than what, 50 other tanks who were actually trying to make the top? Not saying it was bad, just noting that this flawed argument is not even that good for matching it's own principle.

And you're the guy who thinks that pulling 4k dps on a mara in a warzone requires dot spread and aoe farming....

I think I'll take Jake's word over yours.

Dampening would only be barely better than acid. They should just fix absorbs soaking acid damage.

WoW dampening works, because a match is not best of 3 rounds, so they can extend to 8-10 minutes. Say they implemented dampening here, it would have to start at like the 2-3 minute mark if you wanted a gradual increase or you would have 8 minute rounds. That's too long especially for a dead pvp game that probably only has 3 teams in queue.

Dampening would favor pressure and aoe comps the most. Dot classes, double pt, etc would kill easier through just flat damage once dampening kicks in. Hard swap would be on a timer just like control comps in WoW were against a dampening cleave/lock when it was first introduced. LSDx, FLS, Turbo, RLD, etc. Most warlock teams and turtle cleaves have the advantage the longer the game goes. There's nothing more boring than playing a FLS or LSD mirror.

It wasn't until recently that dampening comps didn't dominate the ladder high end. It took blizzard literally years to balance out comps for dampening and FLS is still probably the strongest comp right now. How long do you think it would take the devs in this game to adjust things?

Dampening seems like a crutch for people not coordinated enough to bring down the other team. With the acid it adds an element of excitement and panic that I enjoy. If anything, it encourages you to work better to bring the other team down OR to knock your opponent into the acid which will kill them much faster than any dampening thing that antiquated MMO uses for some reason.

Why bring dampen when they could just nerf an overpowered ability? Dampening is really stupid, and the reason WoW implemented it was because they decided that resources should be infinite. They shouldn't. You should run out of resource if having to spam heal. Same for damage. Healers should have to know what they're doing so they can heal as efficiently as possible. Damage shouldn't be able to just stand and get spam healed, their healer should run out of resource.

I prefer having rounds, makes things more interesting. Also, this would take time to redesign/implement and I'd rather see any time the devs commit to pvp (already minuscule) be allocated to something more impactful and needed.

Just remove enduring bastion's effect on protecting the sorc from acid and the mechanic will work just fine.

Dampening seems like a crutch for people not coordinated enough to bring down the other team. With the acid it adds an element of excitement and panic that I enjoy. If anything, it encourages you to work better to bring the other team down OR to knock your opponent into the acid which will kill them much faster than any dampening thing that antiquated MMO uses for some reason.

It also gives (another) advantage to pt/vgs who can pull someone out into the acid and then ho back out, or aoe hardstun the entire enemy team so that one team is only dealing with acid damage while the other team is dealing acid damage + dps from the vg/pt's team.

There are other issues with acid, EB is just more prominent because of how strong the absorption shield is and the fact that sorc healers are the current meta healer.

I prefer having rounds, makes things more interesting..

I have to agree with this, it's always interesting to see how a team adjusts tactics from one round to the next, good teams can literally adjust their entire plan and turn a match around by making adjustments between rounds.

I have to agree with this, it's always interesting to see how a team adjusts tactics from one round to the next, good teams can literally adjust their entire plan and turn a match around by making adjustments between rounds.

Exactly. To a much lesser extent, it also gives (usually newer teams) a benchmark of progress. "Taking a round off them" before hopefully at some point winning the game.

But if you as a lesser team take 1 of out 3 rounds off a better team, but it was a 1 round game, you would feel better about it then going 1 and 2 for a single match, because you actually "won a game", instead of almost winning one. Edited by Kakisback

It's funny that you say that... Almost every single pro WoW match goes deep into dampening (40%+). If you think you can coordinate CCs and burst better then those people, I assume I'll see you at Blizzcon next year. Acid it stupid, because if you dominate the other team for the entire match, you can still lose it because your opponent has a different team composition, that works better with acid.

Dampening is really stupid, and the reason WoW implemented it was because they decided that resources should be infinite. They shouldn't. You should run out of resource if having to spam heal.

You've never played a healer in WoW, have you? You can't have, otherwise you wouldn't be saying this. If your team is under pressure and you have to keep pumping out big heals, you run out of mana incredibly fast.

Edited by Giliodor

Dampening would only be barely better than acid. They should just fix absorbs soaking acid damage.

this is fine too honestly

WoW dampening works, because a match is not best of 3 rounds, so they can extend to 8-10 minutes. Say they implemented dampening here, it would have to start at like the 2-3 minute mark if you wanted a gradual increase or you would have 8 minute rounds. That's too long especially for a dead pvp game that probably only has 3 teams in queue.

I wanted a removal of rounds as stated in my OP

Dampening would favor pressure and aoe comps the most. Dot classes, double pt, etc would kill easier through just flat damage once dampening kicks in. Hard swap would be on a timer just like control comps in WoW were against a dampening cleave/lock when it was first introduced. LSDx, FLS, Turbo, RLD, etc. Most warlock teams and turtle cleaves have the advantage the longer the game goes. There's nothing more boring than playing a FLS or LSD mirror.

Hardswap teams are already on a 5 minute timer because even if they turtle to acid hypothetically they should lose in acid to a pressure team

It wasn't until recently that dampening comps didn't dominate the ladder high end. It took blizzard literally years to balance out comps for dampening and FLS is still probably the strongest comp right now. How long do you think it would take the devs in this game to adjust things?

Yeah the meta is pretty aids in WoD atm, but its the same ****** meta in SWTOR. I wouldnt say FLS Is the best but it is definitely top tier. I believe Turbo is currently the best comp, followed by RMD then FLS

RMD = Id compare to hardswap

Turbo and FLS = Id compare to pressure

With these devs? they won't fix anything I just like making pointless threads ;)

Responses in red

Edited by Jakev-