Prediction - no new ops until August

TheSeventhJedi

The new rewards program tells me that the dev team is desperate to keep subs up through August. That seems really arbitrary, doesn't it? My first thought when I saw that was, that must be when they have their new ops scheduled for. If they had a new tier of ops planned in the next few months, that'd be a selling point by now, and they wouldn't have to rely on gimmicks. Thoughts?

They will fix NIM loot to drop 224 and call it new content.. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think it was announced in some half arse post about Q1/Q2 we will see a new operation. (Have to dig into the DEV Blog section).

Yesterdays debacle I hope they read everything on all the same external websites and our FORUMS about the lack of HAPPY customers... that was NOT a rewards program announcement worth anything beyond a chuckle.

IF we get a new ops, I am guessing it will not be until 2017. Especially since they probably have everyone pushing out the story stuff and not working on any new group content at all right now. So expecting other content when they need to crank out a chapter a month is being really optimistic. I hope I am seriously wrong, but I will not get my hopes up.

You may say they are different teams, but prior to 4.0 the ops team guy said they were working on the story and he HOPED to start working on ops in January or something to that effect.

Edited by Spor

Can anyone explain to me what is so exciting about ops? I am really struggling.

Many people say that running the story content, planetary missions over and over is boring.

Ops is even worse from my point of view, they are much shorter, have no real narrative and basically a grind to get new gear to progress to what? a further grind for more gear. Yet raiders are happy (at least for a little while) running the same mission over and over and over again?

This is not a troll post I just really cannot see what's so interesting and exciting in operations?

Many people say that running the story content, planetary missions over and over is boring.

Ops is even worse from my point of view, they are much shorter, have no real narrative and basically a grind to get new gear to progress to what? a further grind for more gear. Yet raiders are happy (at least for a little while) running the same mission over and over and over again?

This is not a troll post I just really cannot see what's so interesting and exciting in operations?

Hey, Jedi_riches

I'll give you my reason for why I like Ops so much and am very disappointed that that part of the game has been cast aside. Story is great and BioWare does an excellent job of it, however, the reason it is not intriguing repeatable content for me is because it is done solo and is almost exactly the same every time (with the exception of different dialog choices.) Story content also can be beaten quickly and offers very little challenge. This is no different than KOTOR 1 and 2, GTA, Fallout 3, or any of the Elder Scrolls games I played. I loved them but they had a certain shelf life and were then dead when I had nothing else to do. Once a game is launched it is impossible for them to create enough story content to keep people busy. The games I mentioned above and the initial launch of SWTOR took 4-5 years or more of work to get them completed. I also always wished those games had bosses that were more challenging and that I could tackle with other gamers.

Ops offer that experience. Yes, when I'm doing Terror From Beyond for the 52nd time it is the same Op with the same bosses, however, I'm still coordinating with and talking with friends I enjoy playing with while I'm doing it. Maybe some of them are new and are seeing the content for the first time. It's fun to help them beat it. Different people in the group most times can lead to any number of different ways to approach something or crazy stuff happens just because somebody makes a mistake or doesn't know what they're doing. I also love the idea of a story that your invested in culminating with a large coordinated attack on a tough boss and doing that with other gamers. So, in short, it's taking on challenging bosses with interesting mechanics with a community of friends I enjoy gaming with.

When we are all just doing solo content and grinding Alliance or companion rep for no real discernible reason? It's just not as fun. Hope this helps even though it is just my experience :)

Oh, and I don't see how anybody thinks there are any new ops coming this year. I think they are dead for the foreseeable future and possibly for good. Switching back to Ops now would only serve to annoy the hell out of the single-player base they are working so hard to build.

Edited by JolietJerry

not to say swtor's ops were great, but it's co-op multiplayer content; it's a social event where you work together and achieve a goal. you can keep things casual, or take it more seriously as a challenge.

You think it will be that early? Certainly possible, but I'd peg 2017 as more likely - if they don't make the design decision to discontinue producing them outright.

I believe there is precedent with LOTRO. They began catering to solo and pretty much dropped raid development. I could be mistaken, but I believe this is the case.

Edited by DarthRaneDeer

The new rewards program tells me that the dev team is desperate to keep subs up through August. That seems really arbitrary, doesn't it?

With Chapter 10 launching in February and one a month after, this promotion will last until Chapter 16, which going by the Fallen Empire site, will be the end of the current season. The rewards are most likely an incentive to stay subscribed month-to-month and not just wait till August and come back and play it all then.

What that would mean for new ops, I can't say.

Oh sure you can...your post is spot on...the obvious conclusion, and a very reasonable expectation, is August at the soonest...probably October though to be realistic.

With Chapter 10 launching in February and one a month after, this promotion will last until Chapter 16, which going by the Fallen Empire site, will be the end of the current season. The rewards are most likely an incentive to stay subscribed month-to-month and not just wait till August and come back and play it all then.

this. thats what it relates to, not Ops. the fact of the matter is I suspect from BW's numbers only a minority of players run ops.

The challenge.

My prediction is we will see a new op or perhaps new daily planet for 65's sometime in 2017 and I will go one step further to predict KOTFE Season 1 will not finish in August but by the end of next year despite their desperate attempt to bribe subs into staying with nothing to do til August except old content.

Chapter 10 has fallen behind a month. Still 6 other chapters that could share that fate and if it does happen again, that will easily push it out for all of 2016. :p