Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Level 50. My view of the current state of the game (wordy)

Gordknight

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the first 4 pages or so and stopped. Most of the arguements were saying that it is launch and there are going to be bugs.

RIFT mmo did not have hardly any bugs at launch now the game was not fun IMO but it had no bugs.

I agree this game feels like a single player with a chat box.

Bugs that upset me:

1. Over half the nodes I clear to harvest can't be harvested.

2. In the Flashpoint Cademimu, The first elevator you come to you have to dismiss your pet and summon him at the bottom or he just gets stuck.

3. The Last boss in Cademimu sometimes just sets your group on fire in the hallway before he is engaged.

4. The UI as mentioned before becomes unclickable a lot.

5. A lot of Pathing issues from pets and NPC's, Especially on Balmora.

Shadaka

Hmmm..I remember I needed a GM to get out of the starters zone of Rift, because the last quest was bugged and later on I needed GM's quite a few times more for bugged quests. Not a big deal, but I didn't need a GM here to help me out an impossible situation. So bugs and bugs..I only care when bugs are gamebreaking like huge memory leaks for example. I haven't encountered those in both games yet.

@OP:

1 - I feel this is as MMO'ish as WoW and Rift are. Most of the time I can solo content, but I'll do it with guildies to make it more fun. The only time I really feel it's MMO is when I PvP with my guildies or raid. TOR, Rift, and WoW all feel exactly the same in that department. The only difference is I actually enjoy the story in TOR, enjoyed parts of it in WoW, still have no idea what the story was in Rift...

2 - Every game has bugs... really bad ones too. In Rift I don't know how long I (played as a Warrior) just had to accept bugs in the game that were never addressed.

3 - Every game that comes how has subjective views of what could be fixed. Yeah, I also feel the UI is outdated. Rift got it right by letting sooooo much of the UI be customizable while TOR you can move around the chat box. Lawl. However, they are working on updating the UI so it's fine for now. I hope the updated UI includes a combat log or I'll be frustrated...

4 - Yeah, lvl 50's running with lowbies sucks for the lowbies, but they'll eventually level and be 50 as well. And thus... they will be all be in the same bracket. Then it will be the whine about the fact that geared out 50's are killing fresh 50's. The whines will never stop. It's not that bad. The rest of the PvP I enjoy. WoW felt okay... Rift's PvP was terrible. I have no problems, thus far, with this game.

Conclusion - I enjoy this game pretty thoroughly. To me, the game goes Bugs, then Balance, then Content. Provided they address these things I'm happy! Sorry you don't feel the same way.

@OP:

1 - I feel this is as MMO'ish as WoW and Rift are. Most of the time I can solo content, but I'll do it with guildies to make it more fun. The only time I really feel it's MMO is when I PvP with my guildies or raid. TOR, Rift, and WoW all feel exactly the same in that department. The only difference is I actually enjoy the story in TOR, enjoyed parts of it in WoW, still have no idea what the story was in Rift...

2 - Every game has bugs... really bad ones too. In Rift I don't know how long I (played as a Warrior) just had to accept bugs in the game that were never addressed.

3 - Every game that comes how has subjective views of what could be fixed. Yeah, I also feel the UI is outdated. Rift got it right by letting sooooo much of the UI be customizable while TOR you can move around the chat box. Lawl. However, they are working on updating the UI so it's fine for now. I hope the updated UI includes a combat log or I'll be frustrated...

4 - Yeah, lvl 50's running with lowbies sucks for the lowbies, but they'll eventually level and be 50 as well. And thus... they will be all be in the same bracket. Then it will be the whine about the fact that geared out 50's are killing fresh 50's. The whines will never stop. It's not that bad. The rest of the PvP I enjoy. WoW felt okay... Rift's PvP was terrible. I have no problems, thus far, with this game.

Conclusion - I enjoy this game pretty thoroughly. To me, the game goes Bugs, then Balance, then Content. Provided they address these things I'm happy! Sorry you don't feel the same way.

Couldn't agree more, not a SW fanboy but played the games listed above from the launch with WoW being my mainstay, I have no desire to go back, I enjoy this game, pvp, content, and otherwise, the bugs will be fixed THIS IS A LAUNCH, if you have ADD or think every game is perfect on launch save the forums some memory and enjoy Pokemanz and Pandas next year. With my guildies yelling in my ear to come back to WoW in vent, my response has been come here

I respect, OP, that you have sat down, thought about this and expressed in words your state of mind with a modicum of rationally -- trying to evade the forum post pigeon holes we concoct to disregard any post we don't agree with -- but listen to this: you've just got to level 50 in (for what is for most) a very short space of time. I will also say this: do not dismiss what I am writing as serving any particular interest on these forums -- afford me the same privilege afforded to yourself.

We've all played certain games too hard, too fast, either at launch or release, or as soon as we could get our grubby mitts on them. That is not to say there's anything wrong with getting through the majority of the launch game by now but, put simply, after all that, you're burnt out. That's a lot of play on a game this soon after release and I don't blame you for feeling a little sonic youth after arriving at what appears to be the end of an experience.

You have a lot of valid concerns, some that will be addressed and some that may not, but I think you're going to have to find a less tangible resolution to this unseemly bout of irritation over the game; you're going to have to venture on a spiritual journey that softens the games flaws in your eyes. And not for the sake of the game or Bioware or any particular interest on the forums. But, rather, for yourself. Because those aren't the kind of thoughts you want around in your head, playing the game or not.

Every gamer knows the bittersweet suck of a completed game, a slice of virtual reality taken away from us by the imposing script of a mammoth credit sequence or gentle lull in excitement that comes with a disappointing climax. It's not always a pleasant experience. You begin to find the consensual reality doesn't quite seem to click in the same way that your virtual bildungsroman is marked by annoying quest givers of the opposite sex with lurid and lecherous advances, receiving a new pair of shoes every time you held out a needy soul or robot, or the horrific number of clueless sergeants you meet, hunched under barricades asking you to risk your life for their crummy war.

And, due to SWTOR's enrapturing narrative experience, you're likely for a double whammy of post-videogaming blues with SWTOR, after achieving your goal of level 50 and completing your class quest series (for now (?)). But it depends which mindset you play the game in. I'm attempting some form of virtual consciousness transforming, or something like that, just to make this MMO experience completely different from any other I have played. I am genuinely attempting to destroy my perception of reality! And that makes thing hella exciting. I recommend.

And, for the record, I don't see this oft repeated line -- "a single player game with multiplayer functionality" -- as having negative connotations. I find it more apt to reverse the line: "a multiplayer game with single player functionality". It's a multiplayer game with the immersion of a single player game. And that's all I ever wanted, for a start. As I said, your concerns are valid, in the least that they are valid for you. But you need to stop playing their games. Hitting 50 is only one way of succeeding in this game. What else you do and how you measure that success is up to you.

But, to the point, give the game a break. Come back in a few months. If you really can't drag yourself away, but can't quite find the spark again, try and invest in one of the little hobbies the game affords (crafting -- which is really quite good; I'm impressed! -- or raiding) with a good group of people. The community is still developing and it's got to grow organically.

You may not want to hear it - you may want to hear that your rapid ascension to level 50 godhood yields many, many spectacular treasures - but frankly, you've gone waaay past what I could hope to achieve on my unsteadily-hitting-10fps-craptop, so I'm just bloody jealous -- though I can now cackle away knowing that with even my massive, self-inflicted laggy inconvenience (namely, combat), I am not the only one in pain!

Edited by Kane

i was going to read what you had written but then you wrote in blue on a blue background and I couldn't read a word of it.

Funny, I had no problem reading either of your posts.

The difference is, Gordknight's was worth reading.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

Having reached level 50 5 days back and having a chance to do pvp, finish my class questline completely and run some flashpoints, I feel somewhat dissapointed overall. Now im not a cry baby troll looking for sympathy as I rage irrational expectations to the masses and declare "Im quitting" after investing a lot of time and 60 bucks into the game. The BIGGEST problems I feel this game has is as follows:

1. It really feels like a single player game with multiplayer functionality. (the diablo series is a good example of what I mean.) Every server is overpopped with empire and underpopped with republic. I rolled republic and its astounding how few of us there actually are. Another thing that contributes to this feeling is the constant storyzones and instances. Now dont get me wrong, I think bioware did a fantastic job with the story and the immersion of your character aspect. Unfortunately much of this is lost when you see how railed the zones and planets are. Everything feels like a straight line.

2. So many bugs. Now I am not naive enough and unrealistically demanding enough to expect a bug free MMO launch. Far from it. The problem here is many of the bugs are debilitating to the entire game and are broken/flawed core game mechanics. Examples: Ability delay (and at times they dont even go off at all), Raid Frames not updating properly and showing actual health (feel so bad for you healers), the absolute dependency on your companion for survival in everything outside of raids and pvp. The chat window becoming active if you click on it or near it on accident. The extremely buggy UI (again see the raid frames) and the fact that you cannot move it, customize it or change it in any way. The CC bar that displays that you cant be ccd for a short time seems to never work right. Im getting ccd when its full all the time. Abilities canceling themselves in mid attack because you happened to dodge or parry an attack. The guild window never updating. The list goes on and on. I have to reload the UI at least ten or more times per play session. These bugs were present in beta for a long time and were not ever addressed and dont even get me started on the fact that all my romantic storyline options with Kira Carsen are bugged. I have max affection rating with her and have had no dialogue with her at all. Constant settings getting changed back to defaults each time you zone. Confirmed bugs back in beta.

3. Features that the game should have but doesnt. A good example is the ability to /roll or the fact that you have to constantly run to your airlock and cant use your mount in the shipyard every time you want to leave a planet. The fact that when you queue for a WZ as a group and when the warzone ends you are no longer in a group. The inability to queue for the WZ that you wish to queue for. No mailbox on your ship. No dual spec feature and an extremely high cost to respec. The inability to search/filter properly on the AH.

4. PVP feels incredibly out of whack. I thought there was too much CC in WoW and then I played SWTOR. You move at less than 60% speed 90% of the WZ. The lack of brackets for pvp combat. The broken RNG system of getting pvp gear... why make getting pvp gear so RNG based? Feels like arch in WoW all over again. Of course I know the classes need to be balanced and that it takes time, I realize that and accept that. But how in the hell do you balance a game where level 50s are put on the same team as a level 10? No real rewards for world pvp at all. Even Ilum. Have done it, you get practically nothing.

Overall the game has potential if bioware can make the necessary changes and make them quickly. Right now though as a whole, the game feels unfinished. I am not a QQr crying for everything to be like wow, nor am I a fanboi. But the excuse I hear the most from fanbois when any issues are brought up is "They are adding that soon." or "They are doing that but it wasnt ready for launch." The WHOLE game wasnt ready for launch imo with so many glaring problems with basic core functionality that any modern MMO needs to have.

In the end I stand by my previous statement. The game feels like a single player game with multiplayer functionality. It doesnt feel like an mmo to me. Im not rage quitting, Im going to give bioware and EA a chance to make things right, but Im not going to wait around forever for basic functionality features and bugs that have been present since the first beta phase to be repaired. Worst case Id quit and come back in a few months if things are different.

The game has a lot going for it... Descent PVE flashpoints, awesome crafting system and a great storyline with descent voice acting, but in the end of that is all it has Id rather play SW:KOTOR 1/2 or Mass Effect because those have even better and more immersive stories.

Flame if you will.

Changed your colours to red, blue is so difficult to read.

1) Completely disagree.............This game was touted as the single players friend, but there is a greater tendancy to push players into grouping through numerous heroic quests & flashpoints. I'm sure we were told there would be solo flashpoints but i'm yet to see one, and if you do the existing ones at the appropriate level with a companion...goodluck. Theres even a social rank for players to develop, so no this is nothing like a single player and does not live upto the hype of being a single player friendly game.

2) Hmm lets see if I can remember wow when first released 7 years ago....it was far worse than this. The game is actually quite polished given it was released 7 days ago.MMO RPG's are a work in progress...it takes time to get everything picture perfect. I would say the game is in a great state given we have been playing for only 7 days.

3) Completely agree with everything in here, as I said before the game is a work in progress. I suggest you post no# 3 in suggestions , would be all good additions to the game.

4) Also hard to argue with this, pvp is currently a mess. Dont think BW counted on so many people being 50 within the first 7 days. So at the moment we are being forced to suffer.

Edited by NoxiousAlby

I won't be re subbing.

Disappointed in so many areas I am not gonna waste my time listing them all.

Adios

Same boat as me- endless issues- not worth listing as these posts get buried quickly by the mods or fanboi's

not subbing this month either

another aion/rift where i never get past the first month due to game breaking issues!

perhaps in 6 months if this is still around i will check it out for improvements

Eve online and wow can still keep me busy

I realize that. But should a game that is the next generation of the genre itself need a first patch to make the game acceptably functional? I am going to reference WoW's launch here. It has a lot of problems. Most of them had to do with lag, server downtime, queue times, lag lag and more lag, but the combat system worked. Grouping worked, guild windows worked... etc etc etc...

SWTOR is a good game, but it was released in a terrible state. Bioware did good in avoiding too harsh of queue times for most servers and the lag for me anyway is virtually non existent. No complaints there. But youd think Bioware/EA would have learned from other mmos and especially from their own beta what players expect from their gameplay/ui etc etc.

Depends... Are people who are fed up with it people who have been beta testing for a while or people who started playing a week ago? It makes a HUGE difference in terms of perspective and what the real problems might be... and what can be remedied by updates.

If people who blindly logged in for the first time on the 20th, having never played it before are fed up with the game and have nothing to do, that is a problem. If people who beta tested for a decent amount of time are bored or fed up, well that is par for the course and not indicative of much at all.

Why is this an unreasonable expectation?

Blizzard set the bar with WoW, so if other companies aren't meeting the bar, why should people stoop down to poorly thought out games and unfinished products which ask for $15 a month?

It doesn't matter that the game just came out, they are trying to pull subscribers from WoW therefore they need to offer similar quality from the get go. If they aren't able to provide that then they should have stuck to single player games.

It is a completely unreasonable expectation. When WoW first came out it was dwarfed in content by Everquest. WoW had nowhere close to the amount of content as Everquest. They were years behind. It already takes forever to design a AAA mmog, and then expect them to also match 5-10 years of additional content creation in that same time, it is simply not a realistic expectation no matter how you frame it.

Problem is people played themselves out before the game even went live. Same happens with most mmogs. the outcome wholly depends on what percentage of people those are... In WoW it was several hundred k who felt that way but soon became overwhelmed by an influx of new people who did not have those problems. Same may be here or else you might have a situation like other games with 250k burnouts out of 500k players and it becomes a mess.

It would be absurd for a game to wait until they had 7 years worth of content for the most hardcore players developed before they launched. No game would ever get made.

Your first mistake was rushing to level cap in a brand new MMO. Of course you're going to be all alone. I've been playing since early access and I'm just 30. Try planting your *** somewhere besides in front of your computer once in a while. I doubt you took the time to actually group with anyone in your 7-day rush to 50.

Same boat as me- endless issues- not worth listing as these posts get buried quickly by the mods or fanboi's

not subbing this month either

another aion/rift where i never get past the first month due to game breaking issues!

perhaps in 6 months if this is still around i will check it out for improvements

Eve online and wow can still keep me busy

Buh-bye!

Having reached level 50 5 days back and having a chance to do pvp, finish my class questline completely and run some flashpoints, I feel somewhat dissapointed overall. Now im not a cry baby troll looking for sympathy as I rage irrational expectations to the masses and declare "Im quitting" after investing a lot of time and 60 bucks into the game. The BIGGEST problems I feel this game has is as follows:

1. It really feels like a single player game with multiplayer functionality. (the diablo series is a good example of what I mean.) Every server is overpopped with empire and underpopped with republic. I rolled republic and its astounding how few of us there actually are. Another thing that contributes to this feeling is the constant storyzones and instances. Now dont get me wrong, I think bioware did a fantastic job with the story and the immersion of your character aspect. Unfortunately much of this is lost when you see how railed the zones and planets are. Everything feels like a straight line.

2. So many bugs. Now I am not naive enough and unrealistically demanding enough to expect a bug free MMO launch. Far from it. The problem here is many of the bugs are debilitating to the entire game and are broken/flawed core game mechanics. Examples: Ability delay (and at times they dont even go off at all), Raid Frames not updating properly and showing actual health (feel so bad for you healers), the absolute dependency on your companion for survival in everything outside of raids and pvp. The chat window becoming active if you click on it or near it on accident. The extremely buggy UI (again see the raid frames) and the fact that you cannot move it, customize it or change it in any way. The CC bar that displays that you cant be ccd for a short time seems to never work right. Im getting ccd when its full all the time. Abilities canceling themselves in mid attack because you happened to dodge or parry an attack. The guild window never updating. The list goes on and on. I have to reload the UI at least ten or more times per play session. These bugs were present in beta for a long time and were not ever addressed and dont even get me started on the fact that all my romantic storyline options with Kira Carsen are bugged. I have max affection rating with her and have had no dialogue with her at all. Constant settings getting changed back to defaults each time you zone. Confirmed bugs back in beta.

3. Features that the game should have but doesnt. A good example is the ability to /roll or the fact that you have to constantly run to your airlock and cant use your mount in the shipyard every time you want to leave a planet. The fact that when you queue for a WZ as a group and when the warzone ends you are no longer in a group. The inability to queue for the WZ that you wish to queue for. No mailbox on your ship. No dual spec feature and an extremely high cost to respec. The inability to search/filter properly on the AH.

4. PVP feels incredibly out of whack. I thought there was too much CC in WoW and then I played SWTOR. You move at less than 60% speed 90% of the WZ. The lack of brackets for pvp combat. The broken RNG system of getting pvp gear... why make getting pvp gear so RNG based? Feels like arch in WoW all over again. Of course I know the classes need to be balanced and that it takes time, I realize that and accept that. But how in the hell do you balance a game where level 50s are put on the same team as a level 10? No real rewards for world pvp at all. Even Ilum. Have done it, you get practically nothing.

Overall the game has potential if bioware can make the necessary changes and make them quickly. Right now though as a whole, the game feels unfinished. I am not a QQr crying for everything to be like wow, nor am I a fanboi. But the excuse I hear the most from fanbois when any issues are brought up is "They are adding that soon." or "They are doing that but it wasnt ready for launch." The WHOLE game wasnt ready for launch imo with so many glaring problems with basic core functionality that any modern MMO needs to have.

In the end I stand by my previous statement. The game feels like a single player game with multiplayer functionality. It doesnt feel like an mmo to me. Im not rage quitting, Im going to give bioware and EA a chance to make things right, but Im not going to wait around forever for basic functionality features and bugs that have been present since the first beta phase to be repaired. Worst case Id quit and come back in a few months if things are different.

The game has a lot going for it... Descent PVE flashpoints, awesome crafting system and a great storyline with descent voice acting, but in the end of that is all it has Id rather play SW:KOTOR 1/2 or Mass Effect because those have even better and more immersive stories.

Flame if you will.

By the time the dev addresses these issue ot will be to late and the only thing that will be left will be the fan-boys.

War-hammer allover again.

by next year I'll look back seeing how I paid 80$ for something I only enjoyed for the first 7 days that will pnly cost 15$.

Edited by maximusedward

Your first mistake was rushing to level cap in a brand new MMO. Of course you're going to be all alone. I've been playing since early access and I'm just 30. Try planting your *** somewhere besides in front of your computer once in a while. I doubt you took the time to actually group with anyone in your 7-day rush to 50.

Totally agree with your post!

Yeah, the "Game just came out!" and "Give it some time!" arguments are pretty pointless when you need to change major parts of the game design. After spending a rumoring 135 million in development I can't see them revamping anything major.

Great PvE game, token PvP content... just enough to call it a PvP game.

I realize this is the current PvE MMO model that generates the most subscriptions by focusing on PvE content, but the lack of PvP focus is evident in open world PvP. Was hoping this game would last for me until GW2 comes out, but it's just not enough.

Okay, so the common argument is that it's a single player and that its quests are all linked down a single path and we have to go this area after doing quests in this one, and that they all run smoothly together in an awesome story of twists and turns and that this.. is not.. bad? for a MMORPG?

Okay, okay hold on... Time out!

Doesn't World of Warcraft as the common comparison push us down a line of quests, take Elwynn forest for example.. Why exact are we collecting candles of the helmets of kobolds again? killing someone's prized pig... and what's this!? I'm in westfall all of a sudden.. because i was following quests.. down a linear path!

So, If i am reading this correctly, You all prefer the broken separate random small story lines in comparison to a bigger picture where you're playing an actual role, because this is a role-playing game.. on a Massive scale, But wait there's more if you're going to argue low level content.

World of Warcraft's Cataclysm, Hey folks to begin questing we're going to send you a mail that throws you into Vashj'ir's story line if you like it or not because we aren't going to tell you about Mount Hyjal's possibilities?¿? no hints no clues it's a hidden option?

Okay, so to conclude all this based of what you say, You prefer randomised small non linking quests that have no relation to any sense of rich story line, we can not immerse ourselves into our characters because we are punished for playing with others, so we all go play by ourselves and find an area on our own in an MMORPG anyway? isn't this just Biowares method of remedying this?

On the other hand we have these rich linking area's Taris for example has a theme, a deep lore involving the locals (contained to avoid spoilers) and all the quests are linked well spoken and in general are fun to listen too, Then the multiplayer takes it one step further.

I guess i just don't get what you are arguing about it being a single player, because world of warcraft and in fact all MMORPG's up till now Punish us for playing with others, If its a high level ruining our quest mobs or someone kill stealing us with statements of "Should of tagged it noob" unless its designed specifically To be done as a group,

I think SWTOR has said sod it to the grief and offered us immersion because they realise we will only play by ourselves when we play alone in a MMORPG anyway, And if you want to bring a friend along you can! each quest offering interesting twists and turns!

There was a game that was like that, and ironically enough was called Everquest... Questing was worthless for the first couple years of the game and ridiculous, with no rhyme or reason. More linear quest paths and story lines are things a lot of players enjoy, so I have to agree I find it hard to understand that as some fundamental complaint.

I see people lament the replayability factor, but the problem for developers is they have limited resources and do they spend the resources creating alternate leveling paths or more high end content. They have to decide which is ultimately going to be used more often.

I have always been an altoholic in mmogs, so I like many different paths to discover and find, but there are big sacrifices to be made for this, and this style of play puts me in the minority, as more people want to level up and be at the "endgame" with more content.

Could you try to do both, sure, but then you also might fail at both... Regardless of budget every MMOG development team has limited resources that have to be allocated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.